How New Line Cinema Destroyed the Friday the 13th Franchise

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Alex_Spider, Jun 8, 2013.

1. bullets bang bang

2. Thundarr Registered

I love that song too. One of the best things about that movie was the awesome music.

3. Thundarr Registered

4. Teelie Jokerface

I remember playing it but not fondly.

5. Lord All Mighty

It's mostly disliked, but that figure looks cool.

6. ShadowBoxer Registered

The 2009 reboot wasn't that bad in my opinion, I mean sure it didn't really have a story or strong characters but thats not really what these movies are about. The movie had some really great kills and it made Jason furious beast. And the guy in me has to say this, the chicks in the movie were hot and we all know the movie had that infamous sex scene in it that was like :wow: ha ha

7. Thundarr Registered

I agree the figure looks cool. I'm just surprised that the NES game has fans. I thought it was pretty well universally despised. There's a You Tube video listing the 10 worst video games based on movies, and I think Friday The 13th was ranked about #3. The #1 position went to the redonculously difficult & boring E.T. The Extra Terrestrial.

8. Lord All Mighty

I guess that's the exact reason why it has fans

9. Nightmare "Kill Them All"

Loved the documentary on the first page. And that figure looks awesome!

10. Thundarr Registered

I just watched the documentary on the first page. While the arguments were well thought out and made sense, I still say it was Paramount that destyroyed the franchise.

Paramount are the ones who insisted that Jason be killed off in Part 4. Paramount are the ones who insisted on continuing the franchise after Part 4, forcing film makers to either find a new killer (like in Part 5) or to bring Jason back as a member of the undead (Parts 6 through FvJ). Once it was decided that Jason was gonna be undead, that was pretty much it for the series. Each film became worse than the last. Then Paramount made the decision to sell the rights to New Line. Granted, New Line didn't actually help the franchise any by making three stand alone Friday The 13th films (not one of which was actually called Friday The 13th) and calling them sequels. But by then the damage had been done. At least that's my opinion.

11. Alex_Spider Registered

Pretty much this is the truth. First 3 will always be the best. Although to be honest I can watch the others as they are guilty pleasure. I find a certain charm even in Jason goes to Hell and Jason takes Manhattan as a product of the late 80's and early 90's era. But of course their quality is nothing compared to the first 3.

#186 Alex_Spider, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  12. Thundarr Registered

Same here.

13. bullets bang bang

I've found plenty of people on YT who enjoy the game (can't post links) . There is a strange cult following. I think it's because the game is so different. I hated the game , but would play it obsessively.

I thought it was kind of funny we were discussing the game a couple pages back and suddenly I learned a figure was being developed. It might be cool to own a glow in the dark Jason for collectors.

14. Thundarr Registered

Maybe they enjoyed the challenge of trying to defeat a game that was essentially designed to be completely unbeatable. Kinda like Gauntlet, I don't think there's an actual end to that game, you just keep playing until you run out of quarters. But unlike Friday The 13th, Gauntlet was at least fun to play.

As for the figure? Hells yeah! A glow-in-the-dark Jason is all kinds of awesome! I'd definitely want one for my Halloween decorations.

By the way, a couple of years ago, I had bought a Freddy vs Jason board game. Have any of you guys seen it? It has 6 figurines (3 Jasons & 3 Freddys) and the object of the game is to wrack up as many victims as you can by the end of the game. The player with the most victims wins. I bought it mostly for the figurines. They're kinda like my D&D minis in size and design. I'm thinking of putting my D&D group through a Friday The 13th RPG adventure this Halloween. Last Halloween we did a Zombie Apocalypse game that was kinda fun.

15. bullets bang bang

I never heard of the board game , but it sounds better than the movie.

16. Thundarr Registered

Since next month is Halloween, and this upcoming Friday happens to be on the 13th, I figured I'd give this thread a bump.

17. Loki882 Registered

The thing that I liked about the reboot was that it took Jason back to more how he operated in Parts 2-4. People forget that in those films, Jason was just a man, albeit a strong one. He ran after victims (there was like a ten minute chase scene in part 2), he set traps, he swam, etc. It was only after he came back in Part 6 that he become a slow moving zombie. The reboot made him a lot smarter and more visceral, which I enjoyed.

18. Thundarr Registered

Unfortunately, all of his victims in the remake were either boring or just unlikeable. Having a cunning & fast Jason just wasn't enough to save the film for me.

19. Loki882 Registered

I've found A LOT of F13 protagonists to be boring and unlikeable, with exceptions like Alice and Tommy. It's one of the complaints of the franchise, in comparison to Halloween and Elm Street at least.

20. Thundarr Registered

I didn't find any of the characters of the original series (except maybe Parts 7 & 8) to be boring or unlikeable. I can see how some people might not like some of the more obnoxious characters. But I found that those characters reminded me a lot of people I actually knew, and in some cases was really good friends with. Others I could relate to on a far more personal level, like Shelly & Jim. I have a lot in common with those two. So when you see Shelly tell Vera off and think "What an a**hole", I see that and think "That is so totally me!"

I guess it's all a matter of point of view.

21. Thundarr Registered

I tried watching the video, but got a message saying "This video is private" (If its private then what the f**k is it doing on You Tube?). Do you have a link to this clip that's open to the public?

22. bullets bang bang

I'll look and see if I can find it again. I hate when videos are randomly set to private. Account might of gotten suspended

23. Thundarr Registered

I tried finding it myself. Found plenty of clips of Kevin Bacon talking about The Following and Footloose. Nothing with him discussing Friday The 13th though.