World How to make the spiderman web shooters.

I know there haven't been any updates, but I've been thinking through a design similar to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQBj-RB6qK0

It's designed for a wrist-mounted pyro device, but it's essentially a chip-controlled fluid shooter (with an igniter at the end). You could adapt the circuitry to control the turbine or nozzle, to prevent it from shooting until your wrist was cocked back and button was pressed, to adjust how much of each fluid was fired out of the shooter (to make it more or less tacky), etc. You could wire it up and have two or more of the "canisters" actually be containers for the circuitry.

Also, on the squarish vs. round debate - couldn't it be both? A circular container inside a square block of metal? The circular tube would hold the pressurized liquid, but the outer metal block could simply be a modular container. Just a thought.

I have totally thought of that flame thrower. It is practical and almost able to do what the web shooter can. The only problem is the pressure generated to propel the liquid isn't supported by that system. (The tubes and cans would burst.) However, I like your ability to covert ideas to fit new scenerios.

As for the both square and round, it would work for stability purpose, but it wouldn't be space effective. However, if you fit multiple cartridges in the sqaure container (instead of one), and used it like an ammo clip, it would take about the same amount of space and could help the polymers mix. Hmmmm.., I hadn't considered that. I like the way you think. That's genius.

WOW okay guys ive been following u guys for a while.... so umm white widow coulds u send me your nylon theory and all the design and formulas u allow me to use please... if you can could you add some pics of recent prototypes? you can send it to me at [email protected]

I'm still working on the project. I haven't quit yet.

This is a picture of a personal floatation device. It is a bag that inflates after a 33 gram co2 cartridge is burst. Look at the cartridge though.

the_cartridges_by_technolgytheorist-d3a68fc.jpg

I don't think that it looks too unlike a reilly style cartridge.

33 grams of a CO2 cartridge can hold about 1 ounce of co2. Though the molecular weight of fluid might be different, it should still be around an ounce. That means that if one were to wear eight of these, they could hold more than 1000 feet of silly string.

Last edited:
So here is a question:

Why do you guys want web shooters? What will you do assuming we have the perfect shooter and formula?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have been a busy spider lately. The web shooter is half-way done. I need to find a way to puncture the co2 cartridges to provide decent pressure. After I realized that I need more research on parts to finish the shooter, I started working on the fluid. I have found out how to make a shear thickening fluid that should, when combined with an adhesive and a dissolved plastic, should make a VERY strong fiber. I also have a recycled theory on propulsion that would explain:

1.) Why parker could compress air under extreme pressure without advance equipment.

2.) Why he could use so much web fluid from such tiny cartridges.

3.) Why the fluid would degrade over time.

4.)Why he would use small cartridges in the first place.

The fluid also could be created for only twenty dollars. While I still need to experiment with combinations, I think it would harden very quickly.

I don't know when I can start experimenting but if any of these formulas work, it will explain so much.

Alright, I experimented with two fluid combinations. I created a strong Shear thickening liquid but when it broke, it turned into powder. It was nothing special. I'll label it as Oock (a mix of the names of the original compound).

My second experiment was, well.., the most promising experiment I've seen so far. It is as sticky to skin as superglue, it hardens in seconds and it is elastic and strong. I didn't even mix it correctly but it still worked perfectly (and it is still on my fingers.) These are the promising properties from my CA theory that apply to this new fluid.

-The web fluid hardens on contact within seconds

-becomes a hardened and tacky polymer that can obviously hold weight.

-it was elastic and that he might be able to screw with the formula to adjust how elastic it was.

-The end is totally adhesive like SUPER GLUE yet the sides are just tacky. but not too tacky. just tacky enough to hold on to. (this property was my favorite because it's comepletely accurate to the description.)

-create instant fibers.

-peter's formula was one liquid. He didn't have to mix any fluids in seperate chambers.

I'm not going to reveal the ingedients yet until I can test the strength of the compound (I still don't know the strength of this cohesive adhesive) but if I can ever get my hands on a camera, I will post pictures.

(this is what the formula so far consists of:
-an adhesive
-a solvent
-a plastic)

It has no cyanoacrylate in it. The reason for this is because, for the application thus far, if I was to use this on clothing, it was cause burns because it reacts with cotton. It would also go bad too quickly and it reacts with things too fast.

Last edited:
This is really cool man, be sure to post vids/pics of your progress. :)

just for those of you who are working on the web shooter portion of this project, I found a way to pressurize the cartridges while allowing time to cap it off. Mix the web fluid with a 30% hydrogen peroxide solution, and add yeast, right before you seal the cap to the container. This can generate astounding pressure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEOUopqfX6Y

I know the video says potassium iodide, but that causes too quick a reaction.

Thank you good sir. I do not have a camera or video camera, though I do know people who do. I'm going to start working soon so maybe I can conduct more experiments and get back to you. :)

Okay, I haven't created any more web fluid, but I still have the first test batches.

The elastic stretchy webbing is elastic and tough. Please noone ask me if you can swing from it. We're going for apprehensional technology, not transportation. It had :

1.)elasticity
2.) strength
3.) adhesive abilities
4.) quick drying

The second one (the more disappointing of the two) had two interesting properties.
1.) It is fire proof/ hard to destroy.
2.)it turns into powder when any force breaks it.

Both properties of the oock are important because, for two days, the webbing is highly flammable (solvent) and it won't disappear ever. It may not be biodegradable, but it would lose strength if I added the main ingredient of the oock in VERY small amounts.

Finally, when I think about it, peter's fluid didn't have to be all that strong to do all that stuff).This video is a testament of the power of braiding techniques. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK2hKiL4TKA&feature=related
At the beginning of that episode, to test the toilet paper (1-ply), he strapped a small weight of maybe half an ounce and the thing broke. Considering that the web fluid contains an elastomer, it will take more shock than Tory's paper rope. That means that as long as it has enough cohesive strength to hold a couple ounces, it's all in the nozzle.

I wish I had a camera. I just tested half of the web fluid. It could hold ten pounds with its current form for 8-9 seconds. It looks like webbing. It still needs a strength booster and I haven't added the adhesive, but it's still a strong enough test result.

Alright guys, here's the webbing theory that I didn't know how to test for a while. Peter's webbing is a liquid that hardens to be come a solid. In Ultimate spiderman, it's revealed that it is an adhesive. To my knowledge, other than carbon nanotubes (and, well..., webs) there are no adhesives that have cohesive properties. It's usually one or the other. The new theory is that an adhesive that dries quickly is mixed with a strong component that is fragmented. This would allow the strong component to take weight, while the adhesive is elastic and holds it together. The adhesive becomes a cohesive material.

This works by the same principle as spandex (which is stonger than rubber). It needs polyurethane(also type of glue) and polyeurea in equal parts to create a strong elastomer.

Last edited:
If you guys want to know what the current formula (so far) is, I will give it to you. The plastic component is polystyrene (styrofoam from cups and trays), the solvent is acetone (100% pure acetone in nail polish remover), and the adhesive is instant contact cement (in a jar with 3oz that has acetone written on the back.)

You MUST use 100% acetone and instant contact cement works the absolute best. Regular contact cement won't cut it because it doesn't dry. I don't recommend using fastfood styrofoam cups if they have logos or anything because the dyes react negatively to the acetone and makes it really hard to dissolve (it won't completely). This makes a new kind of super glue. I have an idea for a strengthening component that is biodegradable and very powerful.

Disclaimer: This fluid can only hold ten pounds with a good amount in near solid form. It is also incredibly flammable. There a vapors that are released that you should not inhale and it is really hard to get off of the skin.

So now that I told you a really easy web formula to make, you can experiment with it. If there is anyone who is actually following this forum, try it and let me know how it goes. I'm interested to see how you guys do.

You need one glass cup, one mason jar, both preferably tall and skinny, a stirring rod (and some teflon or anti stick spray), a few styrofoam trays, a bottle of pure acetone, and the contact cement.

In the cup, pour the acetone. Rip the pieces of the trays and put them in. They should dissolve instantly. After adding all of the styrofoam, mix it with the stirring rod. You should have what looks like alot less then you started with. Put the gloop in the jar. Next, pour the contact cement in there. I haven't come up with a ratio yet, but it seems to work with just a little more cement than styrofoam. Mix it with the stick. The webbing (so far.) will be done. pour the Acetone back into the container for when you have more supplies. There you go! Now as for the actual properties of it, they can change with ingredients:

more polystyrene (styrofoam) liquid will make it dry quicker and make it stronger.

more cement equals more adhesive ability, and elasticity.

More acetone makes it dry slower.

I have found a substance that is relatively cheap that can both make it strong with cross links and make it shear thinning. You should be familiar with the compound. It is called guar gum powder. It works better than cornstarch. That's an idea.

I have an idea for super advanced strength, but I'm keeping that to myself as the experiment to make it is dangerous, and I don't want any people to use it without proper equipment.

finally, there is one problem. IT WILL COMBUST! IT IS HIGHLY FLAMMABLE. Do not pour over an open flame..., EVER. If you want to experiment with this, I recommend anti-flammatory materials.

I just tried the Elephant toothpaste experiment in small cartridges. I might have used too much soap but it created more bubbles than gas. Whatever the case, it did create alot of pressure, but it wasn't enough to allow for it to fire out very far. This could because I was using only 3% hydrogen peroxide instead of thirty. I tried to distill it by using the different freezing points of the various liquids but it didn't work as well as I thought.

web_pattern_by_technolgytheorist-d3bia5y.jpg

wearing_shooter_by_technolgytheorist-d3bi9ot.jpg

parker_develops_webbing_by_technolgytheorist-d3bi91d.jpg

Okay, time for "good visuals" The first shows how a web can be created. This can include line and net form. Notice how it is like a shotgun blast but is wrapped. That was how I described it earlier. This is the only shot that shows it perfectly. Other shots show the strands flying out at too heavy an angle.

The second pic was to show that the web shooter is noticeable under the costume other than the nozzles.

The final pic is where I got the property list from.

Thank you public library for containing Ultimate Spiderman and Ultimate comics: Spiderman. ^^

Last edited:
I just made a new batch of web fluid (I added an ingredient). I tested the properties of the colloid liquid form. It is almost the same as the regular version except it is much more elastic, and it is twice as adhesive. I'm sure that once it dries, it will be super strong too. I tried just the styrofoam putty and made a rope. After about a day or two, the rope became incredibly hard. I pulled on it and it refused to break. You could snap it from the side, but that was because it had no elastomers. This new formula once dry, should be able to handle the weight without the problem of brittleness. I'll get back to you when I've tested the new formula.

If this new formula works, then I'll only have three more obstacles to creating the perfect web fluid. Instant evaporation of acetone from mixture, viscosity, and flammability. So yeah.

I got a small sample and let it dry out. I pulled on it to test out it's strength. It seems that while it has great cohesion and it's elasticity is fantastic (It sounds like a rubber band when snapped), it is still too weak for apprehension. I'm going to try one more thing. Seeing as though I only have five months to beat the myth, I probably won't succeed. I'm going to add another plastic component to this formula. This plastic only has one solvent that is available on the internet. If it works, the tensile strength will be increased by at least 300%. If not, then the fluid will remain a great sealant with relatively fast drying time and incredible shock proof capabilities.

Hey guys. I'm new here, but have been following this thread for a while now. I actually am designing a webshooter that will fire this formula. But I had a few questions regarding the formula itself, though. Like:

1) How do you put it together ( I know you have updated your formula since you listed the directions)?
2) Is it just like the elephant toothpaste, or is it just similar?
3) What kind of cartridge did you shoot it out of?

Like what I see! Keep up the good work! I'll post pics of the shooters soon........................................:yay:

Sweet! I am glad to hear people are still interested in this! ^^

1.) The formula currently is the same. I am experimenting with adding a one-part epoxy which will increase it's tenacity and elongation, and performing the guar gum experiment will make it shear thinning. (It has VERY low viscosity unless you add acetone which will take longer to dry.)

2.) Elephant toothpaste is used to increase pressure and increase mass (and stretch the polymer making it stronger). I'm sure polyurethane glue would do the same thing. I was using it as a replacement for CO2 shooters. I tried it and it created a bit of pressure, but Co2 would be better. The toothpaste is just foam. The only reason they used foam in silly string was to make it able to come off things, and increase shear velocity.

3.) I've tried multiple cartridges but they expand. The newest idea is to use stainless steel nipples (1/2" diameter with a 5-6' 1/2" length). The next part is to use some form of plastic threaded caps. One is to secure, the other is to puncture.

I'm impressed that you'll have pictures. That would show actual protoyping. Good job!

If you have any questions, please let me know. I'm interested to hear what your plans are.

Ok, thanks. As for the shooters, I'm going for simple but effective. Here is what I have so far:

1) It will most likely be sheet foam for the cuff part, reenforced with cavlar. Then I will give it a few coats of clear-coating to make it harder. The cavlar will ensure that the foam does not rip or fall apart.

2) The cartridge will most likely be the steel nipples you described. I plan to have the fluid build up natural pressure, as you described yours did. Then I can add a nozzle that opens and closes.

3) The trigger connecting to the nozzle was the hard part. I found a way to contain pressure, but still need to run physical tests on it. I intend to have the nozzle be something like a straw, and the trigger will bend it when you press it in your palm, therefore releasing the webbing. It will also allow constant pressure build up when the nozzle is not open.

This is what I'm looking at so far, but please give me any advise that you can. But please note: I do not have access to any metal working machines, welding equipment, or any major power tools.

So, lets try and keep to the somewhat basic side.
As a final note, I add yeast to the fluid after it's finnished to activate it, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"