Hulk smash ABC! ‘Incredible’ revival heads to TV

babykhris

Civilian
Reaction score
Who’s ready for another Hulk TV series?

Marvel and ABC are developing a TV return for comic icon the Incredible Hulk. CBS last produced a memorable series featuring the jade giant that ran from 1978-82 and starred Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno.

The news comes as DC Comics heroine Wonder Woman, who had a TV series during the 1970s, is also being prepped for a return to the small screen.
Hulk is one of two projects that are priorities at Marvel Television, Marvel Studio’s TV division, which has been operating under the radar since Jeph Loeb took the reins at the end of June.

The second hot property is "Cloak and Dagger," which is being developed for ABC Family.

Both are in the early stages of development; Hulk has a “showrunner wanted” placard around its neck. ABC had no comment. Meanwhile, Loeb is meeting with writers to hear ideas for "Cloak and Dagger."

Marvel began narrowing it list of possible TV adaptations in May with a presentation on the Disney lot. Executives presented ABC suits with a list of titles they identified as possible series:

• "Heroes for Hire" (focusing on ex-con Luke Cage offering to take on bad guys for a price);

• "The Eternals" (a race of superpowered beings live amid humanity in secret, inspiring legends);

• "Agents of Atlas, Alter Ego" (private investigator Jessica Jones takes on cases involving superhumans);

• "Moon Knight, the Red Hood" (a low-rent criminal discovers a cloak that gives him superpowers);

• "Ka-Zar" (a Tarzan-type and his saber-toothed tiger must journey to the concrete jungle to seek justice);

• "Daughters of the Dragon" (a dynamic female duo, one with a bionic arm and the other a granddaughter of a samurai, open a private-detective agency); and

• "The Punisher" (one man wages a war on crime; already adapted as two feature films).

Ironically, "Cloak and Dagger" wasn’t on the list. (Hulk was.)

Although the focus appears to be on "Hulk" and "Cloak and Dagger," "Punisher" also has been selected from the herd and is eyed as a cable play, but that is even further away. Marvel’s TV division wants to take things slow, according to insiders, focusing on one or two shows, making sure they are the best they can be and establishing a quality brand before moving forward.

Marvel is in the middle of establishing a shared universe with its movies (the pics and the characters form one big story), but it’s unknown whether the studio will undertake a similar path with TV. Also unknown is whether there would be a connection between the film world and TV world.

Eh...THe Punisher could be good (I'd prefer a movie with Jon Hamm) and alot of the others too. But now Hulk

BAD IDEA!!!!!! It can't be done with TV! We're gonna get some "man in suit" crap. I wanted another movie. :cmad::cmad::cmad:

Will it star Mark Ruffalo?

Punisher TV Series - On Showtime

Starring Jon Hamm

would be so much WIN!!

:wow:
......Get the "F" out of here!

Rock on! And it would have to be CGI. We've already gone there and there is no going back to anything else. Hulk is the only live action TV success that Marvel ever had and now they want to revisit it. Well, it was my favorite show as a kid, and the prospect of having a major Marvel character on TV again would feel good. And this would explain why Marvel decided to re-cast Banner, if Ruffalo does the series!

I will agree that both Daredevil and Punisher are fertile ground for TV. Not sure why they haven't gone there. But now that at least Punisher is back under Marvel,....maybe.

BAD IDEA!!!!!! It can't be done with TV! We're gonna get some "man in suit" crap. I wanted another movie. :cmad::cmad::cmad:

I don't really mind the idea of a man in a suit as much as I used to, although I liked the design of the Hulk in the last film I wasn't overly impressed by the cgi, yes, having a guy in a suit is limiting but at least it will look real.

So if the Hulk is cgi on the t.v. show, that means we will get very little Hulk per show -not a good idea. They should go the make-up route. If it worked for Hellboy it will work for the Hulk.

So if the Hulk is cgi on the t.v. show, that means we will get very little Hulk per show -not a good idea. They should go the make-up route. If it worked for Hellboy it will work for the Hulk.

Hadn't thought about it but yes. :up:

I can criticize a lot of things in Hellboy's movies but the make-up suit ios not one of them.

Y'all have my sympathies.

Meh this is just the early stages of talk of a Hulk TV show, it'll probably be forgotten in a few months. I don't see how they can sustain the CGI on a TV size budget without copping out like Smallville.

Hopefully Marvel has better control on their TV properties unlike the crap from the 90's like the Generation X and Nick Fury TV films.

Interesting. The '70s show only had a few minutes of actual Hulk per episode. With modern technology and a CGI model that could be re-used (would Pixar be involved?), I'd think it could be at least possible within a reasonable budget.

Of course the storylines of the old show were pretty weak as well so they'd have to improve on that concept, but I can envision a more faithful version with most of the story related to Bruce's efforts to find a cure with Ross as the primary antagonist always chasing after him and a few short hulk transformations per episode.

With the right people and a reasonable budget (I think they'd have to decide to make this a high-profile show and invest accordingly to even begin) I can imagine something watchable.

With all the channels channels vying for attention, networks like ABC need to do something to draw viewers back. The cool thing is Disney may recognize that the value of such a show could go beyond the weekly ad revenue - a high profile show would improve the image of the network and merchandising, syndication, DVD sales, amusement park attractions etc. could justify trying to do it right.

I'm not sure if it's likely at this point, but I think it is at least possible.

I should also say I think Luke Cage would be the perfect TV property. It lends itself well to a weekly story (with a new 'case' each week). It wouldn't need a big budget and it could be funny and interesting if done right.

It could share some elements with The Equalizer from the 80's but with a different spin.

Last edited:
I don't know what to think about this.

I think this idea really stinks. Why dilute the Hulk brand with a TV show when hes going to hopefully look amazing on the Avengers? Marvel has so many characters perfect for TV(as was on that list) why waste it on a character that fits the big screen so much better. How the hell could they afford to make him look right on tv without taking a huge step backwards? oh well. I really think Moon Knight and Luke cage a perfect for TV, guess Marvel doesnt agree.

I liked the Nick Fury film. The Hoff was awesome as Fury. The movie was limited by budget, but it had more good moments than bad ones.

If they could make a decent Hulk show in the 70s WITHOUT CGI, then they can definitely do it now.

I think a Punisher show would be better than a Punisher movie. They could explore more in depth in the character.

This all but comfirms that there won't be a third Hulk movie.

Hmm..bringing back Hulk to the small screen is interesting. I'm a little split on this decision though, especially with Hulk's appearance in The Avengers. Wonder how it'll play out if plans follow through.

Excited for the MK and Cage news though. Both have some untouched potential for a TV series and the rogues gallery to back it up. Especially Moon Knight. I would like a MK movie done some time, but any chance to see the Mooncopter come to life with MK swooping down to action is ok with me. :o

I think the tv show would be a good idea had they not put him in the avengers too. That will be the third time he appears with a different actor and this tv series, if it happens, will be the fourth. Also add to the fact that they probably wont be using a CGI hulk which will probably upset a lot of people and if they do its not going to look good.

Hmm..bringing back Hulk to the small screen is interesting. I'm a little split on this decision though, especially with Hulk's appearance in The Avengers. Wonder how it'll play out if plans follow through.

Excited for the MK and Cage news though. Both have some untouched potential for a TV series and the rogues gallery to back it up. Especially Moon Knight. I would like a MK movie done some time, but any chance to see the Mooncopter come to life with MK swooping down to action is ok with me. :o

Remember the Hulk never stays in The Avengers, so after Avengers would be perfect time to follow what he's doing.

I really can't see the Hulk as being anything but underwhelming. Is there really that much of an audience for the character on TV with a shoestring budget and an ex-football player painted green instead of a CGI giant?

Cloak and Dagger could be interesting, but I really think they should give Blade another shot on TV minus the serial format before giving any of the titles listed a green light.

Last edited:
I don't think there will be much connection between the films and TV show (if it even happens). I think it will be just like how we have comic books co-existing with paper-back novels co-existing with movies etc. They all tell their own stories in their own ways and if something happens in the comics it doesn't necessarily mean that has to be reflected in the film.

I think that if it happens it will just be an alternate take. The films may increase interest in the TV Show and vice versa, but I don't think they'll be tied together or part of the same reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"