• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Superman Returns I got the DVD!

LadyVader said:
Watching hyenas regurgitate is better then X3. :D :down

You do realise that regurgitating hyenas around the world are embarrased and offended about being compared to that piece of **** X3!

Yes I do, and never in my life have I been so happy that I don't live in Africa. :D

X3 was a fun movie up until Ratner ruined the ending with the biggest plothole I have seen in awhile.

Don't blame the director for something that is obviously the script-writing team's fault. Ratner only shot what the studio wanted him to shoot. I doubt he had much of an influence on the creative process, if any.

I find it hard to believe that a director has no say in the scriptwriting process or how to end a movie he is directing. I blame Ratner, Fox, and the writers then for throwing that plothole in there. Ratner isn't relieved of blame.

Showtime029 said:
I find it hard to believe that a director has no say in the scriptwriting process or how to end a movie he is directing. I blame Ratner, Fox, and the writers then for throwing that plothole in there. Ratner isn't relieved of blame.

Well said. Its Ratner's fault for being studio gimp boy and for also being a subpar director, as well as not exerting any power to fix the major script problems.

The writers are to blame for making what is essentially a b-movie script with no interesting plot points or story, and no loyalty to the characters of the previous movies. And also because they seemed to hate the X-Men because they murdered half the ****ing team.

And of course to Fox, whose ability to handle new/old franchises is the worst in the business at this point. They hand over lucrative franchise potential to hacks like Anderson (AvP), Story (FF) and of course Ratner. Rothman seems to hate comic books, and he needs to be fired ASAP if Fox wants to stop being the laughing stock of the studios.

I'm not sure if this has been answered, but I realized today that I wasn't sure if the deleted/extended scene of Young Clark discovering X-Ray vision in the barn goes the full length, with him discovering the baby pod. Any word on that?

The fact that Superman fans are STILL moaning about X3 in here is quite amusing!!

Storm22 said:
The fact that Superman fans are STILL moaning about X3 in here is quite amusing!!

X fans are still moaning about X3 in the X boards. The fact that a fan is whining about fans whining is quite amusing

LadyVader said:
Don't blame the director for something that is obviously the script-writing team's fault. Ratner only shot what the studio wanted him to shoot. I doubt he had much of an influence on the creative process, if any.

Actually... he did. He changed the ending in the script from Washington to Alctraz for some stupid reason.

And yay, I got to rent Superman Returns tonight. The 1-disc version though. :D :up:

Storm22 said:

What about the fact that X fans are moaning about X3?

Zorex_519 said:
I'm not sure if this has been answered, but I realized today that I wasn't sure if the deleted/extended scene of Young Clark discovering X-Ray vision in the barn goes the full length, with him discovering the baby pod. Any word on that?
It cuts right after he discovers his x-ray skills.

J.Howlett said:
ultimatefan,

Do you feel that the DVD's image was a tad soft? First off, I know it was shot digitally and that's part of the issue along with Sigel's lightning scheme. Still, the noise on the image was pretty noticeable during the dark scenes, whereas the day scenes or scenes that had much more light to them seemed pretty perfect.

I just recently bought the Xbox 360 HD add-on so I'm getting the film in HD-DVD but I was a tad disappointed with the DVD transfer. It's by no means bad but I've seen better "direct from digital source tranfers"...namely Episodes II and III of the Prequel. I'm starting to think it has more to do with the Viper camera used compared to the Sony cameras Lucas and Rodriquez used on their respective films.

Also, I saw the film digitally projected six times and I feel that the color is better on DVD than it was projected digitally. The suit is much more blue on the DVD than I remember in the theatre, which was a shock, while watching today. Plus, when the light hits Superman's red, it really is red on the DVD image. I didn't really get that when I saw it digitally.

I'm looking forward to doing a comparsion between DVD and HD. I know HD will be better but how much better is the question.
I liked the image quality, but the suit looks about the same as I remember from the theater.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
Well said. Its Ratner's fault for being studio gimp boy and for also being a subpar director, as well as not exerting any power to fix the major script problems.

The writers are to blame for making what is essentially a b-movie script with no interesting plot points or story, and no loyalty to the characters of the previous movies. And also because they seemed to hate the X-Men because they murdered half the ****ing team.

And of course to Fox, whose ability to handle new/old franchises is the worst in the business at this point. They hand over lucrative franchise potential to hacks like Anderson (AvP), Story (FF) and of course Ratner. Rothman seems to hate comic books, and he needs to be fired ASAP if Fox wants to stop being the laughing stock of the studios.

Exactly, Rothman needs to **** off and work in Tesco's or something becausae he doesnt have clue how to make an excellent prospect into a good movie. He hires hacks, and then doesnt even give them the freedom to **** it up themselves, he helps them do it. I honestly HATE him, Ratner, Kinberg and Penn, i've also lost a lot of respect for Jackman as well.

Storm22 said:

I've been a X-Men fan for over 12 years, i've been a Superman fan since SR came out. So i wouldnt assume so much. A lot of X-Fans are here because they thought X3 was ****e (which it was) and SR, certainly for me, made up for the extreme dissapointment of X3, as SR was a 1000 times better IMO.

Donner and Jackman both have Bryan Singer as their NUMBER 1 director pick for Wolverine and he was offered to do X-4.

Jee, Superman fans griping about X3? More like the ****ing producers and cast behind X-3 let their actions speak volumes for what they thought about X-3 inherently... Where's Ratner? that's right... Rush Hour 3.

Exactly, they asked Bryan Singer back for X4 and Wolverine, Ratner expressed interest in both yet they didnt ask him back, that says it all.

For God´s sake... This thread is not about X3 either. There´s a whole board on that movie...

ultimatefan,

I figured out my issues with the transfer of the DVD. It's a combination of alot of things. It's the Genesis digital camera. It's Sigel's lighting scheme and the intented look of the film to feel retro, while being new, and replicating the soft look that Donner's Superman The Movie had.

The issue with the noise sprang up on the Episode II Attack of the Clones DVD and like Superman Returns, it was mostly during the dark, nighttime scenes. With that film, Lucas was using Sony's first generation digital camera. On Episode III Revenge of the Sith with 2nd generation cameras, the issue of noise during dark scenes and shadows was completely gone.

Again, during daytime scenes and scenes that have a mixture of light and shadow, the film looks fantastic. The grain (digital noise) is part on purpose it seems and part an issue with the camera. It's hard for compression artists to do these direct from it's digital source transfers on DVD.

Again, very curious about the HD version of this transfer.

AssMan said:
X fans are still moaning about X3 in the X boards. The fact that a fan is whining about fans whining is quite amusing

My point is X3 is being moaned about in a board about Superman. I'm well aware there were X-Men fans who didn't like X3 just like there are Superman fans who didn't like SR but it's the fact that X3 gets bashed so much in this board that's amusing. I'm not "whining" at all, it's just an observation! Anyway, moving on.

J.Howlett said:
ultimatefan,

I figured out my issues with the transfer of the DVD. It's a combination of alot of things. It's the Genesis digital camera. It's Sigel's lighting scheme and the intented look of the film to feel retro, while being new, and replicating the soft look that Donner's Superman The Movie had.

The issue with the noise sprang up on the Episode II Attack of the Clones DVD and like Superman Returns, it was mostly during the dark, nighttime scenes. With that film, Lucas was using Sony's first generation digital camera. On Episode III Revenge of the Sith with 2nd generation cameras, the issue of noise during dark scenes and shadows was completely gone.

Again, during daytime scenes and scenes that have a mixture of light and shadow, the film looks fantastic. The grain (digital noise) is part on purpose it seems and part an issue with the camera. It's hard for compression artists to do these direct from it's digital source transfers on DVD.

Again, very curious about the HD version of this transfer.

So there is noise present during nighttime scenes? I'd imagine if it lay with the actual filming and not the transfer process, wouldn't HD only emphasize that?

I didnt notice that problem on the DVD I have. I will have to look for it.

kakarot069 said:
screenshots are actually illegal... I recommend not posting them.

Frankly, I think Americans are just extremely jealous cause the rest of the world is getting the DVDs WAY before 'em... :) Here's the brazilian editions of the Ultimate Box Set and SR, for sale since day nine.

attachment.php

Zorex_519 said:

He opens the barn door and the scene ends.

BTW, I have a state-of-the-art setting and, IMHO, the image quality is the exact opposite of soft. In fact, it's so crisp that it was almost 3-D.

Of course, one needs to know how to calibrate a LCD screen properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"