Apocalypse I saw X-Men Apocalypse Yesterday again and understood something about the hate

TheNewSlayer

Civilian
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I loved X-Men Apocalypse and I go as far as saying that it is my number 1 x-men movie.

But seeing Yesterday after all this time I could understand something about the hate for this movie.

Bryan Singer got Apocalypse completely wrong. Bryan's Apocalypse sees himself as the father of all mutants and talks soft with them like they're kids. That's not how Apocalypse is at all. Plus Apocalypse's powers in this movie makes no sense and the whole idea of transfer soul to another body is another flaw.

If feel like if you're a fan of the comics, of course you're going to hate Bryan's version of Apocalypse. He talks with a soft non threatening voice, acts like the mutants are his kids, has no spaceship background, and didn't do much in the fight against the x-men except for shielding himself from the attacks.

Bryan Singer got Apocalypse completely wrong. And yet doesn't end there, the horseman idea was wrong too. When Apocalypse make their horsemen they kind of lose their mind and kind of forget about who they were. In this movie the Apocalypse's horsemen were voluntary, they wanted to be there.

Magneto didn't need to have his family killed in order to become bad again, he could have been mind controlled by Apocalypse like it happened in X-Men Evolution cartoon where Apocalypse made his horsemen Storm, Xavier, Magneto and Mystique.

Also, Bryan got Psylocke wrong (again Fox get it wrong), she has telepathy and telekinesis, the fact that they ignored her telepathy powers in this movie was stupid.

Trust me, I'm a huge fan of the movie. But I kind of turn off my brain before I watch to ignore all the flaws about the comics cause once again Bryan was unable to get things right.

All things considered I still rank this movie above all previous x-men movies cause I really loved the action and visual display of their powers in this movie. Some scenes I would have imagined different like the use of Jean and Pyslocke powers but overall it was better displayed than any previous x-men movies.

I want to hear what you guys think, I'd really appreciate an answer here. Of course, if there's still anyone left here.

I'm a DC guy through and through but I love Fox's X-Men movies. Even over the MCU. Days of Future Past is one of the greatest CBMs ever in my opinion (especially the Rogue Cut) and First Class isn't too far behind it. I know DoFP was always going to be a tough act to follow, but even allowing for that Apocalypse left me pretty underwhelmed. I didn't hate it - in fact I thought there were some great scenes (standout for me is probably Fassbender's destruction of the soldiers in the woods) - but I was disappointed. That said, I certainly don't think it derailed the franchise and I'm still looking forward to the next one.

As for how close it was to the comics I can't say - I haven't read an X-Men title for probably 20 years.

I think the movie has more problems than that, but I've already debated ad-nauseam about Apocalypse with its defenders, safe to say this will just regurgitate the same tired discussions, no offense.

I just finished watching the movie for the first time and it was very underwhelming. Apocalypse was just one of the bad things about the film, my main gripe is everything was rushed. These huge over powered villains need more than one movie to tell their story. Apocalypse needs at least 2 as does The Phoenix. But everything and everyone in the movie were utilized so fast that they had bad development and their stories suffered. On top of that I am starting to understand why people are getting irritated with Mystique in this series.

Its just not a very good movie. Forget about them wasting certain characters. As a film, its just mediocre.

I enjoyed the film more than I thought I would. But if I had my druthers I would have greatly lessened Magneto's role in the film. Fassbender's great, but giving Erik yet another tragic story was a bad idea. As was making him a world destroying monster. Have him come in in the third act to help take on Apocalypse, and give his screen time to further develop Scott, Jubilation, Jean, Kurt, Ororo, Warren and Betsy.

It's a bad movie, horrible action scenes, poor characters, and Apoc was absolutely disgraced. MCU can't get ahold of this franchise fast enough. It's pure garbage IMO because it should of been so much more. It was supposed to be a visual wonder with ground breaking fight scenes that break new ground much like the Matrix did. Civil War was able to wow. Apocalypse was not good which is equivalent to awful because the genre has such a high ceiling of how successful they can be.

Just about to give this its first rewatch.

As someone once said, "I'll be back... "

:yay:

Well I enjoyed it a little more this time around (maybe because my expectations were lower! :yay:).

Erik taking out the guys in the woods is still my favourite scene. I liked Quicksilver's house-rescue (although I prefer his scene in DoFP). I thought the CGI looked 'raw' in places. Fassbender was again the standout for me, although I really like Evan Peters as Quicksilver. Wolverine's cameo did nothing for me the first time around and it was the same here. Not sure why; I like him - maybe it's just just over-exposure.

I know DoFP was always going to be a tough act to follow but even allowing for that Apocalypse was nowhere near as good as I'd hoped. Still, looking forward Dark Phoenix next year.

Edit: Should add that I thought Olivia Munn was great as Psylocke. Very badass, insanely hot with a great costume - just wish we'd got to see her do more. Looking at the various clips around she clearly trained like mad with the swords.

Last edited:
I don't think the Wolverine sequence was executed well enough. If it was more intense and memorable people wouldn't have minded so much that the scene was unnecessary. It wasn't as visceral as those flashes in X2, hell even Origins had this which is pretty iconic:

101345-veja-motivos-pelos-quais-o-hugh-jackman-624x0-1.gif

Last edited:
I don't think the Wolverine sequence was executed well enough. If it was more intense and memorable people wouldn't have minded so much that the scene was unnecessary. It wasn't as visceral as those flashes in X2, hell even Origins had this which is pretty iconic:

101345-veja-motivos-pelos-quais-o-hugh-jackman-624x0-1.gif

That may be it. It was a shame, because I like Jackman in the role and was looking forward to seeing him. It just felt a little 'flat' to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"