I think this deserves its own thread...Josh Trank denounces Fantastic Four

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that guy who wrote The Boondock Saints?

At one point, he was the hottest screenwriter in Hollywood. Everybody wanted to work with that guy because of that one script he wrote.

He torpedoed his career much in the same as Trank just did. He now still working as a bouncer if i'm not mistaken. Hollywood carreer done.

If he said this like 6 months or an year down the line, it would have been understandable, but now Fox can sue him for monetary damage and they would be right in doing so

Sam Raimi also had studio interference on SM3, but humble that he is, he never mentions it, even now, after 8 years

Sam eventually opened up about it several years later and stated that he lost the creative control he had for the first two Spidey movies. But you're right, Sam is/was humble and kept his mouth shut about it and didn't whine nor talk trash when the film came out.

Exactly. There is time and place for everything.

Sometimes in life you have to pick your battles. No matter how angry you are and however righteous that anger might be...it really accomplishes nothing for you to put that anger out there in public.

Even when Singer bolted from X-Men 3 and he was treated terribly by Fox, he didn't publicly trash the studio or producers. Why? Singer was smart enough to know that he might need to work with them again some day. In your life and career, it is always better NOT to burn bridges. Even if you are in the right.

Exactly. There is time and place for everything.

Sometimes in life you have to pick your battles. No matter how angry you are and however righteous that anger might be...it really accomplishes nothing for you to put that anger out there in public.

Even when Singer bolted from X-Men 3 and he was treated terribly by Fox, he didn't publicly trash the studio or producers. Why? Singer was smart enough to know that he might need to work with them again some day. In your life and career, it is always better NOT to burn bridges. Even if you are in the right.

:up:

And like with Raimi, he is still upset about SM3 to this day because he felt like he let everyone and the fans down. But he knew when to keep his mouth shut about the things that went wrong even though he was right about what happened. Singer is also a great example. Sometimes it's better just to accept what has occurred and do your best to hold your head up...you never know when you may have a chance to better the situation. Burning bridges is a bad idea.

If Trank said this a year from now, things wouldn't be so bad because the movie would have already ended its run. But you can't say these things on OPENING DAY!

Trank should be keeping all this anger to his friends close associates and family. When something like this goes down, last place you want to be is on a social media account.

What this ultimately shows is that After Joss Whedon, Alan Taylor, Edgar Wright and now Trank it might seem studio interference is getting too much out of hand in superhero movies.

Josh Trank's vision included Domashev, drinking ahead of the accident, child abuse victim Ben, and more such nonsense.

What this shows us is that you shouldn't make a damn Fantastic Four film just to keep the rights.

The only name on that list that has a legitimate problem withthe studio is Wheddon.

I think after Terminator geynwhatever...we can safely say that taylor just isn't that good. Whatever the problem was with the Thor movie was probably most because of him

Edgar Wright from all indications just don't wanna play ball.

And Trank deserved just as much blame as FOX imo

What this ultimately shows is that After Joss Whedon, Alan Taylor, Edgar Wright and now Trank it might seem studio interference is getting too much out of hand in superhero movies.

Studios interfere significantly with most big budget movies. A director having final cut rights on a big movie is rare, it's generally the lead producer. I also think that many people automatically glorify the directors and vilify the studio despite that it's always possible that the director was doing a bad job.

To anyone that still thinks that directors are always right and the studios are evil I just say George Lucas.

Trank should be keeping all this anger to his friends close associates and family. When something like this goes down, last place you want to be is on a social media account.

Seriously, someone should have blocked his account or something ahead of release, he did delete his account a year ago or so but the way he's been ranting on his profile for a few weeks now.

Most directors in the same situation would shut their pie hole but others like Trank just have no filter, Joe Carnahan said earlier today regarding the Trank incident that had he had access to Twitter back when he was doing MI3 (and it fell apart in a similar fashion for him), he would be a guy without a career.

Trank just can't shut it, from a director's POV, I totally get why the guy must feel humiliated in a way to have the movie come out with his name on it and it not being the movie he made in a "the movie I actually made is great, this is not my movie, it's not my fault, I can do better than this" way.

I'm curious to see what project Trank is gonna take on next, will probably just be indies for a while.

At one point, he was the hottest screenwriter in Hollywood. Everybody wanted to work with that guy because of that one script he wrote.

He torpedoed his career much in the same as Trank just did. He now still working as a bouncer if i'm not mistaken. Hollywood carreer done.

Check out the documentary 'Overnight' - it's fascinatingly scathing on the guy (Troy Duffy).

I think he actually made quite a nice chunk of change on the sequel, it made like 50 million in DVD sales. I don't know how reliable 'celebritynetworth.com' is, but says he is worth 22 million. Probably not a bouncer, unless he just wants to be.

Seriously, someone should have blocked his account or something ahead of release, he did delete his account a year ago or so but the way he's been ranting on his profile for a few weeks now.

Most directors in the same situation would shut their pie hole but others like Trank just have no filter, Joe Carnahan said earlier today regarding the Trank incident that had he had access to Twitter back when he was doing MI3 (and it fell apart in a similar fashion for him), he would be a guy without a career.

Trank just can't shut it, from a director's POV, I totally get why the guy must feel humiliated in a way to have the movie come out with his name on it and it not being the movie he made in a "the movie I actually made is great, this is not my movie, it's not my fault, I can do better than this" way.

I'm curious to see what project Trank is gonna take on next, will probably just be indies for a while.

Carnahan however is also taking online journalists to task for printing Trank's own public comment. He also said if Nolan was working on the movie...well I won't type the rest out here.

Normally when the director of a movie blasts his own movie, it isn't a good sign. I know statement of the obvious.

It's very likely Trank could be sued for breach of contract over this. To publicly blast a film on the day of it's release, I've just never heard of this before.

Eh, Trank made a good movie to begin with. The guy from Boondock Saints got the rep on his screenplay alone and the film was meh. I think ya'll are exaggerating on Trank's future. I don't see him ever getting this type of budget again, but he will most definitely get up to bat again.

So sorry to hear that, SPIDEY.... I feel you on this!

I've been using this board as a distraction from RL drama... Needless to say, y'all are helping me forget stuff ;)
Oh yes this broad is great for keeping my mind off of things, it has not been a great week.

Yeah, i don't think Trank will be in movie jail but he's certainly not getting a big gig any time soon. Like Max Landis said, he had total control over Chronicle because it was a 12 million bucks movie, to go from this to FF where there are so many cooks in the kitchen, he's probably not cut out for it (yet or maybe he won't ever be, who knows)

Part 3 of his interview with Kevin Smith is up. Damn, he made it sound awesome.

A bad workman always blames his tools. And it seems Trank is also a tool. :hehe:

Except that's not at all what Trank was blaming. He was blaming the people who yanked the tools from his hands and cut to **** all his work.

The people criticizing Trank for saying anything at this point are idiots.
He was hired for his vision, worked his ass off on it, and then was walked all over afterwards with the studio literally rewriting, and stomping all over what he had done.
On top of that, HE'S the one gettinga huge chunk of the blame for the end product. An end product which does not resemble his work on it, and as such, is not representative of his work.

How would you react if someone else completely changed something you did, and YOU were the one getting the brunt of the "credit" for it?

Why am I starting to get the idea that the cast were not the only one's who had not seen the final film before the release? Would not be surprised if Trank wasn't even allowed to see the final cut of "his" film till now.

Except that's not at all what Trank was blaming. He was blaming the people who yanked the tools from his hands and cut to **** all his work.

The people criticizing Trank for saying anything at this point are idiots.
He was hired for his vision, worked his ass off on it, and then was walked all over afterwards with the studio literally rewriting, and stomping all over what he had done.
On top of that, HE'S the one gettinga huge chunk of the blame for the end product. An end product which does not resemble his work on it, and as such, is not representative of his work.

How would you react if someone else completely changed something you did, and YOU were the one getting the brunt of the "credit" for it?

Why am I starting to get the idea that the cast were not the only one's who had not seen the final film before the release? Would not be surprised if Trank wasn't even allowed to see the final cut of "his" film till now.
I wouldn't go on twitter and make myself unhireable, that's for ****ing sure.

That's what I've been saying, it's easy as an audience member to not realize what it is to have your "baby" taken from you and destroyed and then have your name linked to the movie.

I still think that tweet is extremly unprofessional. I really dont care how aweful the experience was, but its not your money what is at stake.
There is a time to adress the issues. But not now.

But it is HIS reputation as a director on the line with the film. You're only as good as your last film, and when someone else butchered that on you (which is far more unprofessional,) you're going to be damn pissed, and with every right.

LAWD.

Listening now, he sounds so hopeful and talked about how awesome the Thing helicopter moment was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"