The Dark Knight Rises I'd Like Batman 3 To Be In 3D

I know that Schumacher gets a lot of criticism for his movies, but they had some great scenes. At the end of Forever that Batman saves Chase and Robin from falling to their deaths? Or how about flying down from Freeze's spaceship? It was cheesy, but it could have been a zeppelin (instead of a freeze spaceship) and they could have used their capes (instead of the doors as surfboards). Flipping a real truck doesnt seem so spectacular now does it?

Yeah...that's the kind of stuff I DON'T wanna see here. The truck-flipping was great because it seemed plausible. I'd take that kind of thing over the cartoonish "stunts" in Schumacher's movies any day.

ETA: And what's with all the blimps in that picture you posted? Is that Gotham supposed to be "futuristic" or something?

I know that Schumacher gets a lot of criticism for his movies, but they had some great scenes. At the end of Forever that Batman saves Chase and Robin from falling to their deaths? Or how about flying down from Freeze's spaceship? It was cheesy, but it could have been a zeppelin (instead of a freeze spaceship) and they could have used their capes (instead of the doors as surfboards). Flipping a real truck doesnt seem so spectacular now does it?

:doh:

Yeah...that's the kind of stuff I DON'T wanna see here. The truck-flipping was great because it seemed plausible. I'd take that kind of thing over the cartoonish stuff in Schumacher's movies any day.
The Forever scene wasnt cheesy at all. The B&R was hella cheesy but i proposed a serious version. The villain has a zeppelin or chopper and Batman glides down from it.
ETA: And what's with all the blimps in that picture you posted? Is that Gotham supposed to be "futuristic" or something?
Gotham is supposed to be Gotham, not Chicago. Some artists put blimps in its sky. BTAS Gotham had police blimps for example.
When the Batpod turned on that wall after flipping the truck i facepalmed as well.

For me the appeal of Batman is that he isn't superhuman. When you get into superheroics like that, you start to lose that appeal, imo.

For me the appeal of Batman is that he isn't superhuman. When you get into superheroics like that, you start to lose that appeal, imo.
Did you watch the Schumacher scenes i'm talking about? In the first one he falls after Chase and Robin and manages to tie Chase to a rope and then catch Robin just before he hits the ground.
Catching Rachel in TDK was a lot more unrealistic. They seemed to fall too fast and they both his the car very hard (this happens too often in the Nolanverse) and yet Rachel is unharmed.

Secondly, Batman IS a human who does superhuman feats. In the comics, the basic medium of this franchise, Batman does some crazy stuff. Its that what's perceived as human in the comics is a little above real life human. Even in the movies Batman does superhuman feats and is helped by plot armour. The bad guys have terrible aim, they always fall down after one punch and dont continue to fight (skyscraper fight scene in TDK), etc.

What i'm suggesting isnt that Batman should do superhuman feats. Its that they use more imagination. In TDK he basically drove around and beat people up. I'd like to see him glide more, use his grapple gun to swing across a road, to fight on top of the monorail, and spy while hanging from the side of a skyscraper.

If you want this movie to be in 3D, shouldnt there be something worthy of 3D? What's was worthy of 3D, or hell even IMAX in TDK? Only the Hong Kong gliding scene. Or was the use of IMAX in the prologue worth it?

Last edited:

The truck flip eclipses all of those scenes you mentioned in greatness.

Easily.

Did you watch the Schumacher scenes i'm talking about? In the first one he falls after Chase and Robin and manages to tie Chase to a rope and then catch Robin just before he hit the ground.
Catching Rachel in TDK was a lot more unrealistic. They seemed to fall too fast and they both his the car very hard (this happens too often in the Nolanverse) and yet Rachel is unharmed.
A lot of people felt that way about that fall. But I have seen the Schumacher scenes you referred to, and they are both FAR more cartoonish, imo, and anything like that in this universe would make me cringe.

Secondly, Batman is a human who does superhuman feats. In the comics, the basic medium of this franchise, Batman does some crazy stuff. Its that what's perceived as human in the comics is a little above real life human. Even in the movies Batman does superhuman feats and is helped by plot armour. The bad guys have terrible aim, they always fall down after one punch and dont continue to fight (skyscraper fight scene in TDK), etc.

What i'm suggesting isnt that Batman should do superhuman feats. Its that they use more imagination. In TDK he basically drove around and beat people up. I'd like to see him glide more, use his grapple gun to swing across a road, to fight on top of the monorail, and spy while hanging from the side of a skyscraper.
I agree with those things you want to see. I just don't want to see people jumping from an exploding zeppelin and somehow emerging unharmed. And on a side note, I'm cool with no zeppelins at all, because that's still such a major wtf for me, lol.

And for Gotham the city, I like it as a CGI-altered Chicago, because I like Batman's world resembling our own and giving us a city we can relate to. I don't want to see the futuristic Gotham you posted earlier. Leave the futuristic look for Metropolis, or some other truly fantastical superhero city.

And for Gotham the city, I like it as a CGI-altered Chicago, because I like Batman's world resembling our own and giving us a city we can relate to.
Fair enough.
I don't want to see the futuristic Gotham you posted earlier.
Some artists put blimps, some dont. But this is how Gotham is supposed to look. Not like Burton's gothic nightmare, not like Schumacher's nightclub, and not like Nolan's Chicago. If anything, Burton was closer.
Leave the futuristic look for Metropolis,
Gotham is futurist, just gothic, dark and dirty, while Metropolis is clean and shiny. And even Nolan's chicago-gotham had that futuristic monorail.
Leave the futuristic look for Metropolis, or some other truly fantastical superhero city.
A truly fantastical superhero city like Gotham?

Btw, i edited my previous post and added this at the end, but from your quoting it seems you missed it. I'd really like to discuss it.
If you want this movie to be in 3D, shouldnt there be something worthy of 3D? What's was worthy of 3D, or hell even IMAX in TDK? Only the Hong Kong gliding scene. Or was the use of IMAX in the prologue worth it?

The truck flip eclipses all of those scenes you mentioned in greatness.

Easily.

Yep.

It's a sad, sad day when people are defending parts and bits in Forever and B&R over scenes in TDK.

Unbelievable.

It's always 'worth it' in my opinion. IMAX, 3D, whatever. If something deepens the experience or the spectacle, that's very welcome. Anyone who would shun that is out of their minds if you ask me!

The question I haven't seen a convincing answer to is 'Why not?' - what harm does it do? Even if it's a minor thing to some individuals, it enhances the movie period, and many would absolutely enjoy the extra feature. Why stunt that possibility?

Yep.

It's a sad, sad day when people are defending parts and bits in Forever and B&R over scenes in TDK.

Unbelievable.

Are you serious? He wasn't defending those scenes, he even explained that they're ridiculous and was suggesting stripping out the cartoony/unbelievable bits. He was using some of the dynamics of those scenes to promote the idea of a more spectacular physical Batman feat in Nolan-style.

Some of you guys are so ready to misread Earle and bash what he says. :o

Yep.

Unbelievable.
So Schumacher did everything wrong and Nolan did everything right?
It's always 'worth it' in my opinion. IMAX, 3D, whatever. If something deepens the experience or the spectacle, that's very welcome. Anyone who would shun that is out of their minds if you ask me!

The question I haven't seen a convincing answer to is 'Why not?' - what harm does it do? Even if it's a minor thing to some individuals, it enhances the movie period, and many would absolutely enjoy the extra feature. Why stunt that possibility?
I agree with what you re saying, i wish we could get IMAX + 3D + everything for every scene.
Its just that besides the HK scene there wasnt a spectacular scene that you'd go damn this is awesome i'm so glad they spent extra money on 3D and IMAX.
Are you serious? He wasn't defending those scenes, he even explained that they're ridiculous and was suggesting stripping out the cartoony/unbelievable bits. He was using some of the dynamics of those scenes to promote the idea of a more spectacular physical Batman feat in Nolan-style.

THANK YOU !

When someone has an opposing opinion, everyone is so quick to dismiss it without properly reading it and understanding it.

Yes. He was.

So Schumacher did everything wrong and Nolan did everything right?

Yes.

There's a reason everyone hates the Schumacher movies and everyone(minus a few like you) loves the Nolan movies.

They are better Batman movies.

Plus better films in general.

@ Mr. Earle

I think some things that most people think are minor could still be pretty cool. The Bat-pod rushing through that dark corridor, Batman's cape flowing around.. :wow: I dunno, as an artist I'm a sucker for those kinds of details. They're very defining of the experience to me. If they could make all those small scenes like that one pop out and feel real, I'd be so happy!

Yes. He was.

Did you read the rest of either of those posts you quoted beyond the bold bits? :doh:

Also, did I miss him say he hates the Nolan movies??? What?

@ Mr. Earle

I think some things that most people think are minor could still be pretty cool. The Bat-pod rushing through that dark corridor, Batman's cape flowing around.. :wow: I dunno, as an artist I'm a sucker for those kinds of details. They're very defining of the experience to me. If they could make all those small scenes like that one pop out and feel real, I'd be so happy!
Agreed!
Did you read the rest of either of those posts you quoted beyond the bold bits? :doh:

Also, did I miss him say he hates the Nolan movies??? What?
Exactly, i dont hate the Nolan movies, i'm just saying they could be a bit more superheroic instead of "crime drama-esque". Lol i'm making my own words.

Exactly, i dont hate the Nolan movies, i'm just saying they could be a bit more superheroic instead of "crime drama-esque". Lol i'm making my own words.

I think a crime drama can have superheroic moments. It can be both. That's the ideal Batman to me. :yay:

Fair enough.
Some artists put blimps, some dont. But this is how Gotham is supposed to look. Not like Burton's gothic nightmare, not like Schumacher's nightclub, and not like Nolan's Chicago. If anything, Burton was closer.
Gotham is futurist, just gothic, dark and dirty, while Metropolis is clean and shiny. And even Nolan's chicago-gotham had that futuristic monorail.
A truly fantastical superhero city like Gotham?
Nope, what I meant was a city for a truly fantastical superhero like Superman. An alien with superpowers, that kind of thing, where it's already pretty unimaginable that his world could be our own. Sorry, I should've phrased that better.

Btw, i edited my previous post and added this at the end, but from your quoting it seems you missed it. I'd really like to discuss it.
Yep, I missed that. Well, if you saw my earlier input in this thread, you'll see that I'm largely against the idea of the 3rd movie being in 3D, so I'll address the IMAX part: When I first took my brother to see TDK on IMAX (he'd already seen it on a regular screen but I convinced him he MUST see it on IMAX), at the very opening shot, he let out a very audible, "WOW." And there was nothing fantastical about it - what made it awesome was that it was completely 100% real. It was just the side of a building. But from a perspective we could never have seen it before. The beauty of IMAX to me is the clarity. In the right hands, it lets us see the mundane in the real world in a completely new and magical way - it's the same reason the first title I bought when I got my BluRay player was Planet Earth. Because the imagery in that was more stunning than ANY special effects or comic-book stylized shots/action. My point is, Nolan's "realist" shooting style looks beautiful on IMAX, imo, and I'd hate the thought of him changing it to make his movies more "worthy of the format" or something like that.

Nope, what I meant was a city for a truly fantastical superhero like Superman. An alien with superpowers, that kind of thing, where it's already pretty unimaginable that his world could be our own. Sorry, I should've phrased that better.
Batman is closer to reality than Superman but even so, his city and everything in it are far from our world. Gotham is designed to reflect Batman and to provide him with a dark and grim playground. The villains he faces are rarely realistic (even if they arent aliens or alien gods) and let's not forget that he lives in the same world as Superman, Wonder Woman and Flash. At some points DC had even placed Gotham near Metropolis, with only a big lake separating the two. I think this doesnt apply now.

And since Gotham is fictional, i wouldnt mind if its unrealistic a little bit because it would give us a better cinematic experience. Why settle for NY or Chicago when you have the chance to set your film in an imaginary city with endless possibilities?
Yep, I missed that. Well, if you saw my earlier input in this thread, you'll see that I'm largely against the idea of the 3rd movie being in 3D, so I'll address the IMAX part: When I first took my brother to see TDK on IMAX (he'd already seen it on a regular screen but I convinced him he MUST see it on IMAX), at the very opening shot, he let out a very audible, "WOW." And there was nothing fantastical about it - what made it awesome was that it was completely 100% real. It was just the side of a building. But from a perspective we could never have seen it before. The beauty of IMAX to me is the clarity. In the right hands, it lets us see the mundane in the real world in a completely new and magical way - it's the same reason the first title I bought when I got my BluRay player was Planet Earth. Because the imagery in that was more stunning than ANY special effects or comic-book stylized shots/action. My point is, Nolan's "realist" shooting style looks beautiful on IMAX, imo, and I'd hate the thought of him changing it to make his movies more "worthy of the format" or something like that.
I get what you mean.

I don't see the point of spending more money to see a 3d movie, when it doesn't look like it has a damn 3d thing in it.
My bloody Valintine and the opening of Bolt were the only time I saw something 3d pop out at me.

Saw Avatar and I wondered why I had to wear the glasses if all it does is make everything have a bit of depth.

Either we get some bat a rangs tossed at us, or no go.

Batman is closer to reality than Superman but even so, his city and everything in it are far from our world. Gotham is designed to reflect Batman and to provide him with a dark and grim playground. The villains he faces are rarely realistic (even if they arent aliens or alien gods) and let's not forget that he lives in the same world as Superman, Wonder Woman and Flash. At some points DC had even placed Gotham near Metropolis, with only a big lake separating the two. I think this doesnt apply now.

And since Gotham is fictional, i wouldnt mind if its unrealistic a little bit because it would give us a better cinematic experience. Why settle for NY or Chicago when you have the chance to set your film in an imaginary city with endless possibilities?
Well, any fictional story has endless possibilities. But that doesn't mean you'll always choose the most fantastical one you can think of. It's like what Crook said in the Nolan/Superman thread - yes, there are more fantastical stories in Batman comics and there are grittier, realistic stories as well. Nolan chose the latter as the direction he wanted to go in for his screen interpretation of the character. The realistic city serves THAT vision of the character. And imo, with the stories he is telling, that version of the city does make for the better cinematic experience, because it makes it feel real to me as I watch it.

More Gotham:
qodn3k.jpg

I feel like there's a drinking game to be started with these zeppelins.

:awesome:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"