The Dark Knight Rises I'd Like Batman 3 To Be In 3D

Micah12345

Sidekick
Reaction score
Just got back from seeing Avatar, and all I can say is WOW. That was probably the most immersive and breathtaking experiences I've ever had, and it was all thanks to the new 3D technology. It adds an entirely new dynamic. I want to see every movie filmed like this from now on.

Batman 3 by christopher nolan in 3D would be incredible, and he's the kind of director that would tackle that kind of project.

I can see an interest in the technology of Avatar leading to an increased interest for nolan in filming batman 3. Seeing the first movie ever entirely filmed in 3D and imax being a batman movie would be unbelievable.

Go see avatar nolan!

Well, that was a misleading thread title.
I've seen worse. It's not like he said "OMG TEH NEW BATMN MOVIE WILL B IN 3D CONFIRMD LOL!" Still, a title like "Should Batman 3 be in 3D?" or "I would like Batman 3 to be in 3D" would be better.

Oh, as far as the topic of the thread goes, I haven't seen Avatar yet so I can't say what I thought of it and honestly I've never watched any movie in 3D recently so I can't say whether I would want it for a Batman movie. Does it really look good? I remember when I was like 7 going to see Nightmare on Elm Street in theaters and we got these lame 3D glasses with the red and blue cellophane lenses and it looked terrible and hurt my eyes. I've not experienced a movie in 3D since.

Last edited:
I've seen worse. It's not like he said "OMG TEH NEW BATMN MOVIE WILL B IN 3D CONFIRMD LOL!" Still, a title like "Should Batman 3 be in 3D," or "I would like Batman 3 to be in 3D" would be better.

Yep.

Avatar is a new kind of 3D, not the gimmicky kind they seem to slap on to every big movie coming out.

I've heard good things about it, I've heard it being compared to Jurassic Park as far as being ground-breaking and revolutionizing the industry with the visual effects, 3D stuff, etc. Unfortunately I feel like I wouldn't be doing it justice if I didn't see it in a full-size IMAX theater, in 3D, and there aren't very many of those in the middle of Kansas. Actually, there is one RIGHT in the middle of Kansas in my home town of Hutchinson but I don't think they're showing Avatar, it's part of the Kansas Cosmosphere so they don't show many feature films, mostly documentaries and things like that.

would be sad to see nolan sell out like that. Having the whole thing filmed in imax would be awesome, but 3d would be stupid, at least nolans films. I can see why people like the 3d but i think its only being used to sell more tickets, not to improve the story. just another Hollywood gimmick. change is always necessary, but f%$# 3d. :cmad: If nolan doesn't come back for 3, than i guarantee you it will be in 3d.

BTW, i just read over at latinoreview.com that jackass 3 will be in 3d. only if batman 3 is in 3d will it be comparable to that future masterpiece.

Last edited:
That's awesome.

You know this isn't the avatar board right?

Why are you being a jackass? I'm not discussing avatar, I'm talking about using the same groundbreaking 3D technology used in avatar in a batman movie.

would be sad to see nolan sell out like that. Having the whole thing filmed in imax would be awesome, but 3d would be stupid, at least nolans films. I can see why people like the 3d but i think its only being used to sell more tickets, not to improve the story. just another Hollywood gimmick. change is always necessary, but f%$# 3d. :cmad: If nolan doesn't come back for 3, than i guarantee you it will be in 3d.

BTW, i just read over at latinoreview.com that jackass 3 will be in 3d. only if batman 3 is in 3d will it be comparable to that future masterpiece.

Have you even seen avatar? It sounds like you're talking about that old gimmicky style of 3D.

They won't film it all in IMAX, but seeing that Nolan didn't need super-slo-mo, or hyper-stylized CGI work/visuals for his films to be good, I don't see him needing 3D either.

They won't film it all in IMAX, but seeing that Nolan didn't need super-slo-mo, or hyper-stylized CGI work/visuals for his films to be good, I don't see him needing 3D either.

:woot: i really hope Nolan stay away from 3d and focuses on state of heart more than state of the art when it comes to storytelling. Really AVATAR without the 3d immersion experience and the tech aspect in terms of cgi rendering /motion capture is pure BS.

BATMAN esp Nolan's Batman which is set in a realistic note doesn't need 3D. i don't wanna spend moments with Bale distracted with Batrangs hitting my eye or
slow motion scenes with the cape hiting oneself. Now if this Schmi's Neon festive Gotham/Batcave or Tim's Batman understandable but not Nolan's take plz lets not spoil something thats good.

I'm pretty sure Nolan said he'd never use 3D. He doesn't care for it.

i hope Nolan doesn't do it in 3D. The technology is just not there yet, sure it looks good in Imax 3D, but I saw avatar in RealD, and it didn't look nearly as good as it did in Imax. You had to adjust your peripheral vision every time there was camera movement, or cut to a new scene. It was a pain in the ass. Instead I hope Mr. Nolan shoots in 65mm or other large format film. It'd make a pretty big diff on a large screen, the TDK Imax shots were incredible, without the eye strain. Plus, crime cinema works well with film, the gritty look in digital doesn't look that great tbh (Public Enemies) imo.

Why are you being a jackass? I'm not discussing avatar, I'm talking about using the same groundbreaking 3D technology used in avatar in a batman movie.

To be honest I kind of tuned out after reading this gem:

I want to see every movie filmed like this from now on.

After that all I remember is confusion and anger and fear.

i hope Nolan doesn't do it in 3D. The technology is just not there yet, sure it looks good in Imax 3D, but I saw avatar in RealD, and it didn't look nearly as good as it did in Imax. You had to adjust your peripheral vision every time there was camera movement, or cut to a new scene. It was a pain in the ass. Instead I hope Mr. Nolan shoots in 65mm or other large format film. It'd make a pretty big diff on a large screen, the TDK Imax shots were incredible, without the eye strain. Plus, crime cinema works well with film, the gritty look in digital doesn't look that great tbh (Public Enemies) imo.

I totally agree with this. I sometimes enjoy "3D" in Imax as anyone else, mainly because of the dimensions, but it's definitely not the most breathtaking film experience I've ever hard. It has the same problem of the absolutely dull, headache-provoking, regular-old, 14-dollars-a-ticket "Digital 3D" theaters... the problem being that it is not 3D at all.

The so-called "3D" does not work in movies any better than it does on tacky postcards of tourist landmarks, waterfalls, or Jesus. The technology has not developed significantly since the creation of those plastic binocular-like toys created in the fourties. The Polarized double-lens process does not render images in three dimensions, it simply separates them into multiple planes. The effect is not much different than the early Disney animated features, filmed through layers of glass on which backgrounds, foregrounds and characters were painted for a more dimensional effect.

But your eyes and your brain do not interpret these different layers the way they do actual space. Instead (to my eyes, anyway), each layer looks flat, stacked in front of or behind some other layer. So, people for example look like cardboard cutouts rather than rounded figures.

What's worse, if the camera's depth of field holds something out of focus in the foreground or background, you can't do anything about it. If you look at something that's closer or farther away, your eyes have a natural tendency to bring it into focus. 3D camerawork frustrates that instinct. Regular old 2D imagery, on the other hand, does not trick your eyes into trying to focus on something they can't, because both eyes are always looking at the same plane. All around, fewer headaches.

Notice I'm not dissing Avatar, I have not seen it yet. I'm not impressed by the preview, the trailers or the early reviews, but we're not talking the merits of that film, just the technology you're proposing for Batman. And Nolan's just too old-fashioned anyway to make that jump for his next film.

Why do I get the feeling that I'm the only person in this thread that has actually seen avatar? That might explain the responses. People don't seem to get that this is brand new technology. :huh:

Yeah, the thing about 3D that you're always struggling with...and this comes from experience in developing some 3D viewing technology years back where I worked....is that in reality your mind/eyes are constantly deciding what THEY want to focus on, and when they're forced to accept what the picture presents, especially with objects that seem to be out in front of the screen...there is some discomfort because if feels like you should be seeing it right in front of you, but really, it's based on images that are considerably farther away. This can cause some strain and motion sickness for some. It's actually easier on the eyes if you just go for 'depth', as in the plane of the screen is a far forward as anything gets...but obviously it doesn't have the wow factor of something that seemingly hovers right in front of your head, etc.

But regardless of the technical aspects, there's really no reason for Nolan to jump into that right now.

Why do I get the feeling that I'm the only person in this thread that has actually seen avatar? That might explain the responses. People don't seem to get that this is brand new technology. :huh:

It is pretty new because it's the first feature to actually use the stereoscopic dual lens approach, so you are actually getting two slightly different perspectives with each image, just as you would with two eyes. The basic approach has been around with still photography for a while.....

stereocamera.jpg

But again, it is still a forced overall perspective which can cause some discomfort with cuts and movement. I think it's cool that Cameron did it, but I think that if motion photography is going to eventually move towards that, this is still a pretty early step. Projection technology will have to develop further as well.

look i get that we are entering a "new age of 3-d", i'm totally pumped to see avatar on christmas eve, but i'm going to have say that i hope that they don't do BB3-D. oh god now it has a hypothetical acronym. For a future film yes i'd be all for it, but seeing as a 3rd nolan film or at least a direct sequel to TDK will be completing a sequel i would much prefer, as would many i would think, that for now they stick with the same cinematic stylings and whatnot

3D is only ever going to be a gimmick, Nolan won't use it, put your money on it.

just because nolan won't use it doesn't mean it will remain a gimmick.

3d televisions a starting to come into the market, and as that sector grows more media will be made to accomidate it.

also 3d theaters are becoming increasingly commonplace and respected and talented film makers are taking interest in exploring its possibilities

As long as people have to wear the glasses it's only ever going to be a gimmick.

I don't want to see Batman 3 in 3D. I hope Nolan does what he did with last two films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"