• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

If you Don't like the movie - POST HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget that Storm was just gonna disappear and not be there. At least Cyclops' exodus had some explanation behind it. Storm was gonna be gone, having gone back to Africa with no explanation behind it...

I'm curious to know where the source for this is... I've never read that Storm would simply be gone without explanation. The most I've ever heard implied (by Wizard Magazine I believe) is that Storm would be written out (rather than be recast), if Halle Berry decided not to return to the franchise... which she already said she would... and that was before the catastrophe that was Catwoman. Moreover, the producers stated numerous times that they would only be writing Berry a larger role in X-Men 3.

Seriously, I'm curious. Where is this source that states that Storm would have been shipped off to Africa without ever being heard from since?

Producer Lauren Schuler-Donner has revealed in an interview with Sci-Fi Wire that X-Men 3 is a definite go!
"I just had a conversation with [director] Bryan [Singer] today. We just started to talk about what the possibilities are. We're pretty sure Wolverine's going to come back...I'm dying to put Beast in. I tried to get Beast in the first one and the second one, but it was always too expensive. So, yeah, I'm really dying to get Beast in, and I'd love to get Gambit in, because he's such a cool guy. And there's some really good casting ideas for Gambit". Filming will start on June 2005 with a May 2006 release date being scheduled. She was also asked if Halle Berry would return, and she did say that they were planning on writing a larger role for Storm. If Catwoman flops I wouldn't worry about it, as she'll be biting their hand off to reprise the role. Also thought to be returning is Ray Park as Toad.

I can't imagine doing it without him or Patrick [Stewart] or any of the main cast...and Halle [Berry]. We have to make sure that she's used well and we have a great great storyline for her, or maybe we do a Storm movie...who knows.

i just really want to talk to Bryan Singer and his writers Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty, and ask them to explain in as much detail what their ideas where for X3/X4. No, its my goal in life to one day sleep with Bryan Singer (I'm a guy) and then get him to tell me everything about X3/X4!!! jk.. or am i? haha

the only stuff thats sorta known is that nightcrawler possibly would be back in it, and definately the role of Emma Frost was being written with Signourney Weaver in mind, and obviously Jean coming back as the phoenix (possibly coming back good and nice first, then going all Dark Phoenix), and Hellfire Club would be involved (because he said they would work great in a movie)

some stuff i've read from various places arouind the net that i'm not sure is true, is that sentinals were gunna be in it, something about Genosha and it being the place where mutant concentration camps were and sentinals were there, and Bryan Singer promised James Marsden he would get to have his big share of screen time (to make up for the lack of it in X2), Beast was obviously gunna be introduced, Lauren Shuler Donner was gunna push to have Gambit in it,

This all sounds like wishful thinking. There is no way that an X3/X4 would include all existing characters PLUS Nightcrawler, Beast, Gambit, Emma Frost, Hellfire Club, Genosha, Sentinels and Phoenix/Dark Phoenix. These are all just ideas tossed around, some by Bryan, some by Fox. The reality would almost certainly be very different.

Marsden might well have had a much greater chance of getting his 'big share of screentime to make up for the lack in X2' if Bryan himself hadn't tempted James away into SR.

I suspect seeing Jean Grey's return as 'good' Phoenix and then a slow descent into the insanity of Dark Phoenix might have been difficult to achieve in a superhero movie. It could have ended up with long scenes of inner turmoils and not much action. The original Phoenix saga is difficult to bring to life within the tone and infrastructure of the existing movies.

We'd have to see Jean returning from the lake somehow (better if all X-Men were there to see it) and perhaps craving the godly sensations she felt at the end of X2 when saving them all and pushing her powers to the maximum. We'd need to see her using her powers in dramatic ways (against whom? Sentinels? Magneto and the Brotherhood?) and being somehow corrupted by Emma Frost and joining the Hellfire Club. Then breaking free of the club's control, but then turning against the X-Men and going totally Dark Phoenix, then opting to die. It seems a little rambling and convoluted for a movie. But Singer's idea of bringing in Emma Frost and attempting to do the comicbook justice as much as possible is to be commended.

The concept mentioned somewhere of Singer's X3 having a prison island (Genosha) that was destroyed by Phoenix when she nuked the Sentinels (and probably the island's mutants as well) did make it into the existing X3 - replace Genosha with Alcatraz and the Sentinels/mutants with the soldiers. Of course, Alcatraz changed from a mutant prison to the lab where Leech was held.

I'm curious to know where the source for this is... I've never read that Storm would simply be gone without explanation. The most I've ever heard implied (by Wizard Magazine I believe) is that Storm would be written out (rather than be recast), if Halle Berry decided not to return to the franchise... which she already said she would... and that was before the catastrophe that was Catwoman. Moreover, the producers stated numerous times that they would only be writing Berry a larger role in X-Men 3.

Seriously, I'm curious. Where is this source that states that Storm would have been shipped off to Africa without ever being heard from since?

I don't have any sources, perhaps I'll take a look for some when I return for work tonight.

But I remember talks that Singer didn't really like the character of Storm, didn't know how to handle her, and didn't like Halle Berry in the role, and was just gonna write her out completely.

Perhaps I could be confusing writing her out if Halle didn't come back with writing her out period, but I'm pretty sure on this one. I'll have to do a search for some sources on that.

If Bryan and his team had done X3, it's a sure bet that Halle wouldn't have been involved. The contingency for her being written out was floating around as far back as 2003 when she didn't bother promoting X2. IIRC she didn't attend the premieres in LA or London (and then later was a no-show at the DVD release party in NY)

If Bryan and his team had done X3, it's a sure bet that Halle wouldn't have been involved. The contingency for her being written out was floating around as far back as 2003 when she didn't bother promoting X2. IIRC she didn't attend the premieres in LA or London (and then later was a no-show at the DVD release party in NY)
It's a pity that Halle would be out if Singer directed it...

Nell2ThaIzzay said:
I don't have any sources, perhaps I'll take a look for some when I return for work tonight.

But I remember talks that Singer didn't really like the character of Storm, didn't know how to handle her, and didn't like Halle Berry in the role, and was just gonna write her out completely.

Perhaps I could be confusing writing her out if Halle didn't come back with writing her out period, but I'm pretty sure on this one. I'll have to do a search for some sources on that.

It’s no biggie if you can’t. I couldn’t really find any sources either. The best I could find are rumors that Berry might not return… but then there would be conflicting reports within the same articles by the producers and writers saying that wouldn’t be the case. I was just wondering. I believe I too read that Singer didn’t really know what to do with the character… I just seem to remember a lot of later talk being contingent upon Berry’s return even after Singer’s departure. I remember Kinberg and Penn being told to prepare the script in the event that Berry did not return.

Yeah, I remember her being absent during much of X2’s promotion… as well as the “will she or won’t she return” script contingencies. I just always thought that she would return.

X-Maniac said:
I suspect seeing Jean Grey's return as 'good' Phoenix and then a slow descent into the insanity of Dark Phoenix might have been difficult to achieve in a superhero movie. It could have ended up with long scenes of inner turmoils and not much action. The original Phoenix saga is difficult to bring to life within the tone and infrastructure of the existing movies.

Let’s see how well Spider-Man 3 handles it with Peter Parker and the Black Suit.

flavio lebeau said:
It's a pity that Halle would be out if Singer directed it...

I agree. That is one thing I would have been very much against. Regardless of people’s opinions of Berry and Storm’s portrayal, I would never want to see the character dropped.

I agree. That is one thing I would have been very much against. Regardless of people’s opinions of Berry and Storm’s portrayal, I would never want to see the character dropped.

If I could choose, I'd rather have one character written off than three others getting killed. And it's not like we got Storm in TLS. It felt to me more like Berry in a wig. (Reviews of her latest film "Perfect Stranger" are saying that she's in every possible scene (and not in a good way) and that she's poorly delivering speeches of outrage. Sounds familiar?)

If I could choose, I'd rather have one character written off than three others getting killed.

What's really pathetic about the three character deaths is they were all handled poorly. Xavier's death becomes completely insignificant after the last scene in the film. Cyclops death was not shown and was only referred to 3 times briefly. Jean didn't make much sense(5 class mutant getting killed by a 2 or 3 class mutant). If Jean was just toying with Wolverine there's still no reasonable explanation for why she didn't kill Logan and chose to kill many other people(Two her were much closer to her than Logan.).

And it's not like we got Storm in TLS. It felt to me more like Berry in a wig. (Reviews of her latest film "Perfect Stranger" are saying that she's in every possible scene (and not in a good way) and that she's poorly delivering speeches of outrage. Sounds familiar?)

I'm curious. Has Halle Berry ever acted well in any movie? I haven't seen Monster's Ball so I have no opinion of that movie. I have seen her display some mediocre acting in the following films:

BAPS
Executive Decision
The Flinestones
The Last Boyscout
Bulworth
Swordfish
Die Another Day
X1, X2, X3
Catwoman
Robots(Why was she choosen for this role?)

Halle was pretty good in Losing Isiah. I thought Die Another Day was a particularly embarrassing choice for a post-Oscar role. Being a Bond babe is usually something starlets do at the beginning of their careers. Also, IIRC Halle was hoping for a Jinx spin-off so she could give a finger to the X franchise.

If I could choose, I'd rather have one character written off than three others getting killed. And it's not like we got Storm in TLS. It felt to me more like Berry in a wig. (Reviews of her latest film "Perfect Stranger" are saying that she's in every possible scene (and not in a good way) and that she's poorly delivering speeches of outrage. Sounds familiar?)

Why am I not surprised at those reviews? :whatever: Quite a lot of people believe that her Oscar win for MB was political.

I like her in Their Eyes Were Watching God. I think she's talented, thing that her agent isn't.

But in the end, it does come down to Halle making a decision of what role she will be in...she's had enough experience, it has nearly nothing to do with her agent, with what role she commits to. Don't get me wrong...I saw Monster's Ball, I think she has talent.

What's really pathetic about the three character deaths is they were all handled poorly. Xavier's death becomes completely insignificant after the last scene in the film. Cyclops death was not shown and was only referred to 3 times briefly. Jean didn't make much sense(5 class mutant getting killed by a 2 or 3 class mutant). If Jean was just toying with Wolverine there's still no reasonable explanation for why she didn't kill Logan and chose to kill many other people(Two her were much closer to her than Logan.).

There is an explanation, but just like every other explanation for your complaints, you refuse to even acknowledge that it can be remotley possible, because it goes against your blind hatred of the film.

I'm curious. Has Halle Berry ever acted well in any movie? I haven't seen Monster's Ball so I have no opinion of that movie. I have seen her display some mediocre acting in the following films:

Halle Berry got an Oscar because she's like the hottest woman on the face of the planet, and she showed off her glorious breasts for the entire world to see.

Halle was pretty good in Losing Isiah. I thought Die Another Day was a particularly embarrassing choice for a post-Oscar role. Being a Bond babe is usually something starlets do at the beginning of their careers. Also, IIRC Halle was hoping for a Jinx spin-off so she could give a finger to the X franchise.

Halle was looking for a Jinx spinoff?!! Well, I guess this isn't too suprising. Halle once said that she would consider being in Catwoman 2 after the first film bombed.:oldrazz:

There is an explanation, but just like every other explanation for your complaints, you refuse to even acknowledge that it can be remotley possible, because it goes against your blind hatred of the film.

Halle Berry got an Oscar because she's like the hottest woman on the face of the planet, and she showed off her glorious breasts for the entire world to see.

Wee has acknowledged your responses to his questions. Why is it anytime someone has a LEGITIMATE reason for hating this film, you accuse them of having blind hatred?

Are you THAT sensitive about a difference of opinion? Perhaps some are blindly hating the movie without seeing it, but as I said many times before, those who read the comics, love the comics, and understand the comics have a real reason to be angry about the depiction of the characters and the stories.

In the end some hate it for a good reason, some hate it for a bad reason, and some love it for a good reason and some love it for a bad reason. It's a neverending cycle.

I'm looking on the bright side of things, I know Spider-Man 3 will literally wipe the floor with X3. :up: :up:

As I said many times before, those who read the comics, love the comics, and understand the comics have a real reason to be angry about the depiction of the characters and the stories.

Well, I've read the comics, love the comics and understand the comics, and since the first movie came out, I've had to accept major changes. These included Iceman being a student, Pyro being a student, and several other alterations made to serve the story. Subsequent movies have had to build on what came before and develop character arcs that could be shown within the space of three movies, so the changes became more exaggerated.

Within the second movie, the changes that didn't feel right were the lack of Deathstrike's background and link to Wolverine, Storm's unexplained angst/insecurity (in the conversation with Nightcrawler - a nice piece of dialogue but still an odd portrayal of Storm), the changes to Mastermind/Jason and the 'personal' rather than political/social vendetta of Stryker.

Within the third movie, the changes that don't feel right to me -- when thinking purely as a comicbook fan - are Rogue taking the cure, Cyclops' quick death (I might have accepted his death if it were handled better), some aspects of Wolverine (weeping over Xavier's chair was most out of character) and some aspects of Dark Phoenix. But considering a different director and different writers were involved, it could have been so much worse. Mystique's curing and Xavier's astral projection seemed fine to me. Xavier has feigned death in the comics, and been transferred to a new body in the comics, so I had no problem with that.

I know Spider-Man 3 will literally wipe the floor with X3. :up: :up:

Possibly, and possibly not. It's dangerous to make such predictions, as people did that with Superman Returns. The other consideration is that a) Spider-Man has only one main superhero to depict so his character has more breathing space and time for development b) they are stepping up the action and drama this time (as X3 did) c) they are increasing the number of superpowered characters (about time too!).

Wee has acknowledged your responses to his questions. Why is it anytime someone has a LEGITIMATE reason for hating this film, you accuse them of having blind hatred?

Are you THAT sensitive about a difference of opinion? Perhaps some are blindly hating the movie without seeing it, but as I said many times before, those who read the comics, love the comics, and understand the comics have a real reason to be angry about the depiction of the characters and the stories.

In the end some hate it for a good reason, some hate it for a bad reason, and some love it for a good reason and some love it for a bad reason. It's a neverending cycle.

I'm looking on the bright side of things, I know Spider-Man 3 will literally wipe the floor with X3. :up: :up:

I understand that, and acknowledged it many times.

But the fact is, whatever responses I could come up with for whatever complaints thewheepeople might have, he merely dismisses them because accepting them as possible means going against his utter disdain for the movie.

I've never seen him once acknowledge any of my explanations. Never.

There is a difference between disliking / hating the movie, and just needlessly over-reacting. You have legitamate complaints with the film. If you weren't so aggressive towards me all the time, I'd take the time to actually consider them. But, when people act like *******s towards me, I tend to not care what they have to say.

But there is a difference between disliking the film and explaining why (what you do, and what I commend you for when you're not being a prick), and having some kind of hatred for it, and finding every little remotley noticeable error to use as evidence to justify your hatred (thewheepeople).

will you consider a petition from many people asking to give cyclops more scenes and if you guys chose to kill him can we change that by a petition since you guys still have reshoots in march, cause i think cyclops was the most misused character in the previous X movies, and seeing him dying will just loose hope in any future X movie.

*I think I answered this already. I don’t agree that Cyclops was the most misused character in the previous movies – I think Storm was. Jimmy had a lot more to play than Halle in X1 and X2. At least he had an emotional throughline in those films.

You thought Storm was the most misused character in the previous X-Men films yet in X3 you made her *****y, unsympathetic, and swapped Cyclop's leadership role with hers?

I also have another question I asked Zak too after he said that X3 wouldn't be longer than X2 : Everything about this movie sounds great, but I don't like the idea of making this a shorter movie than X2. If this is supposed to be bigger in every sense (cast, action, drama, etc) I don't see why it should be shorter. Can you tell us if the storytelling won't be affected after they edit it? Becuase some movies, like Fantastic 4, have some pretty bad editing just to make the movie shorter and make more money.

*We’re trying to cut the best version of the film, without considering the final running time. Trust me, there’s no agenda from the filmmakers or studio about cutting it down to “make more money.” Fantastic 4 was ultimately a kid’s movie, so length was relevant. That’s not true for X3. Regardless, I’m not sure I agree that being bigger and more dramatic necessarily means longer. I think a few recent blockbusters could have used a little less indulgence, and a little more dramatic discipline.

Tell me another one Simon. Are you telling me you didn't know that X1, Daredevil, and Fantastic 4 had special editions that made those movies significantly longer and coherent?

Hi, Mr. Kinberg! I was just wondering, as there is definitely a large fanbase for the Remy/Rogue relationship, would you consider writing the pairing into the movies in the future?

*Absolutely. I love that relationship in the comics. If Remy ends up in sequels, then he should definitely get involved with Rogue.

Mr. Kinberg could you please explain to me how Rogue could contribute anything revelant to the X-Men franchise after being cured? Should she still be referred to as Rogue since she's not an X-Men anymore?

Simon, we know you won't tell us yet who Ken Leung is playing, though it's rumoured he will be Sunfire, which many fear will be seen by mainstream viewers as a copy of Torch in F4 and also being too similar to the fire power of Pyro (though he controls it, not generates it or goes on fire himself) and to any possible fire effects used for Dark Phoenix. I would imagine Ken might be Sunfire so as to provide an aerial opponent to Angel (sort of mirroring the myth of winged Icarus getting too close to the sun!)

*I can’t answer this. But I will say that almost every rumor about this movie has been inaccurate…

Which rumours were inaccurate? The ones that you Avi Arad, Tom Rothman, Ratner, and Zak Penn started or the ones about the leaked script, the gravestone pictures, the short running time, the deaths of three X-men, and Rogue/magneto's fates?

My questions - phrased so as not to be a spoiler - are: Did you have to carefully consider what mutant powers you would be showcasing in X3 to prevent any overlap with other characters in the X-Men universe and outside the X-Men universe? Was it difficult? Presumably each character was chosen to serve the story, in ways such as providing interesting opponents to the good guys? Does each character have a definite purpose?

*You’re right. We chose new characters to best service the story, and provide strong conflicts or connections for our core characters. And we tried to pick mutants with unique powers (especially when it came to cameos).

Simon could you please explain to me how Colosus(one line), Quills(2 lines), Arclight(no lines), Leech(3 lines), Juggernaut(A few annoying one-liner lines), Multiple Man(2 lines) and Pyslock(one line) had strong connections to the core characters?

I've read in a previous interview where you site Akiva Goldsman as having a profound impact upon shaping your career. How important is it, especially for those endeavoring to be screenwriters, to have a mentor? Also what kind of specific advice about the craft of storytelling was Mr. Goldsman able to relay that proved to be invaluable?

*I think having a mentor is essential. Akiva really took me under his wing while I was still in film school. He taught me a lot about the craft of screenwriting, but even more about the business of being a writer in Hollywod. He’s a master at navigating the studio system, and he continues to teach me lessons on how to stay involved with your movie, so you don’t get replaced or marginalized in the process.

That's interesting. Most of the comic book movies that Akiva was involved with are crap(Batman and Robin, Batman Forever, Constantine). Are you sure you learned all those things from Akiva? You said a number of times that you had limited freedom with how certain characters in X3 would be treated.

How big of a role does Moira McTaggart have? What story does she factor into?

*Sorry, spoiler. As you know from the comics, she has some history with Xavier.

Translation: She doesn't have much of a role with basically no character development. In retrospect I'm not sure why we hired so many actors and actresses to play characters with virtually no lines.

And of course, this is as an outsider looking in, not as a scriptwriter, it seems to me that some of these smaller roles won't really add much to the storyline in terms of character development, so why not just use Gambit so we could get a fix, until he could be maybe expanded on in a later film?

*Trust me, we considered giving Gambit a cameo. But ultimately, it felt like a waste. We want him to have a prominent role when he hits screens for the first time. Unfortunately, we couldn’t find a way to make him an integral part of our plot. If we gave him a little cameo, I have a feeling you and other Gambit fans (myself included) would have complained that his part wasn’t big enough. Just like Beast and Angel, he needs a big entrance and a big role. Otherwise, it feels like we’re blowing our shot. I found myself a little frustrated with Kitty in the first two films because she was always background action, and I didn’t want fans to be sitting there thinking, “is that all we get from Gambit??”

That's how you felt about gambit yet you are satisfied with the roles of Cyclops, Colosus, Pyslock, Arclight, Quills, Angel, Juggernaut, Multiple Man, Leech?

This question is regarding potential sequels. As a huge X-Men fan, you might think that I'd be looking forward to sequels past X-Men 3, but actually, it's quite the contrary. I am very concerned about this franchise continuing past the 3rd film, mainly because of the attitude that you guys seem to be bringing everything to an end with this film. So I'm wondering, are you guys really tying everything up with this one, to conclude this trilogy? Or are you guys leaving some things open to be developed and expanded upon in a 4th movie, and continue this overall conflict and plot arc that we've seen building up in the previous 2 movies, and this 3rd one? Or would a 4th movie be an entirely new conflict from what we've seen in this trilogy?

*I’ve answered this one before. Check the previous posts. This is the end of the trilogy, not the end of the franchise. There are plenty more stories and characters left to explore.

Are you kidding me? What stories are left to explore with Xavier trapped in a brain dead body, the deaths of Scott and Jean, the probable deaths of Pyro, Pyslocke, and Juggernautand, and the curing of rogue and Magneto?

My screenwriter instructor told me that some screenwriters out there make a living from writing scripts and getting them optioned by the studio alone. In other words, their scripts get bought out but they never used or greenlighted. EVER. But that's how they make their living. Is that true?

*Absolutely true. The vast majority of Hollywood screenwriters never have a produced script. I know this sounds crazy, but you have to understand that studios buy about twenty times as many scripts as they make, so that means there are nineteen times as many writers getting paid to write scripts for development than scripts for production.

This is interesting. Considering how bad X3's script was I'm curious about knowing how bad the previous script's were that you and Penn developed before Fox made their final decision.

What do you think about Harry Knowles Simon? He's been bashing this project before you put your pen to the paper. Now he's bashing the early pics before post production of Colossus, and bashing the promo posters from wondercon.

*This is a tough one to answer, because I’m actually a big Harry fan. I check AICN every day (usually ten times a day). We tend to have very similar sensibilities, we grew up loving the same movies, and we respond to the same material. Like I said, he’s been very kind about some of my work – his review of the “Mr and Mrs Smith” DVD is among my favorites. It’s frustrating to feel like he’s rooting against this movie, but I think he’s going to be pleasantly surprised. I hope he leaves all prejudices and preconceptions at the door, and just enters the universe of the film. I really do hope he digs it, because we made this movie for people like him and us – fanboys who worship the X-Men.

BULLCRAP!!!!

He’s a master at navigating the studio system, and he continues to teach me lessons on how to stay involved with your movie, so you don’t get replaced or marginalized in the process.

Yet after the movie debuted, he and Zak were quick to point the finger of blame at Fox, claiming they were given parameters etc that they didn't agree with. So I guess SimonGrasshopper didn't learn anything from his master as apparently he was marginalized. :whatever:

Yet after the movie debuted, he and Zak were quick to point the finger of blame at Fox, claiming they were given parameters etc that they didn't agree with. So I guess SimonGrasshopper didn't learn anything from his master as apparently he was marginalized. :whatever:

Nothing that Simon said at thexverse suprises me anymore. The guy is delusional and a compulsive liar. I've caught him in at least 50 contradictions. My advice to him is to never do a Q/A interaction with fans for any film he is involved with because he has no clue how to answer most questions professionally.

I really do hope he digs it, because we made this movie for people like him and us – fanboys who worship the X-Men.

BULLCRAP!!!!

roflpb0.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"