I'm going to launch a dream interpretation service

I took a clinical psych class in graduate school and thought it would be the usual lectures about things to memorize. Instead, I had a psychologist who talked about her patients (anonymously) from her thriving private practice. She gave us anecdotes about them to support the defense mechanisms we were learning about (projection, denial, reaction formation, etc).

In a few of her lectures, she described the dreams her patients reported to her and she interpreted them for us as well. What was most eye-opening wasn't the interpretations but what she said about dream interpretation before delving into them in the first place:

The best person to interpret your dreams is yourself. And if you can't (which is with most people), you're best bet is your therapist. I, on the other hand, believe she should have extended this to a person you trust: spouse, significant other. In other words, someone who knows about your stuff that you can trust.

As you probably know, dreams are about things that may be unpleasant or make you uncomfortable. They're also about wishes, fantasies as well.

Everything and every person in the dream is a projection of something about you whether it's a child, a decapitation, someone you don't like in your waking life. They all represent parts of you.

When you have a dream you remember vividly that you don't know what it's about, I recommend free-associating what things in the dream could mean to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"