Interesting news from Comic-Con (Concerning Jean and Scott)

LastSunrise1981 said:
Cyclops had a significant role in X1, X2 it helped further the story and X3 was going to be his story as Singer promised Marsden to have the movie center around him.

It's not that I don't believe you, but is there any cite you could give me for this? I'd love nothing better than to shut up the Wolverine loyalists once and for all who insist there's no such thing ever said.

And we all know how that turned out. :(

For the short time he got to be on-screen, he ruled :up:

Goddessreicho said:
I would have much enjoyed seeing Cyke proving his worth and fighting the brain washing and torture than Bobby's comfortable yuppie neighboorhood.

I don't mind that Cyclops was kidnapped and knocked out of commission for a while. Hey, it could happen to anyone. WHoever happened to be with Xavier would have suffered the same fate. But I agree he should have plyed a larger role to defeat Stryker. Coming up with another cool strategy for example. Can't open the doors to get into Evil Cerebro? no problem! Cerebro needs electricity. We're inside a generating station. THere are generators in the other room. I should know because Jean and I saw them. So let's rush in there and blow them up! Simple yet effective.

ntcrawler said:
It's not that I don't believe you, but is there any cite you could give me for this? I'd love nothing better than to shut up the Wolverine loyalists once and for all who insist there's no such thing ever said.

For the short time he got to be on-screen, he ruled :up:

I don't remember the website. But I remember him saying it in quite a few interviews and I think he may've said it on the X2 commentary.

But yes, Singer said it more than once and Marsden even mentioned it a couple of times. I just don't remember where the interviews came from at the time.

LastSunrise1981 said:
Cyclops had a significant role in X1, X2 it helped further the story and X3 was going to be his story as Singer promised Marsden to have the movie center around him.

And we all know how that turned out. :(

Not true. Wolverine in X1 was very much the 'alpha male' who walked all over Cyclops (the rivalry was fine, but you could just see who was the more powerful). In X2, Cyclops was absent for most of the movie. At the end Wolverine tells Cyclops 'she chose you' which i found remarkable, as she didn't seem to be facing any choice at all, she was quite clearly with Scott in a solid relationship. Jean hardly seemed to be worried about Scott during his absence.

Wolverine was never shown as junior to Cyclops in any sense, he was the 'tough guy' - the Clint Eastwood character. Jackman's portrayal made sure of that. Marsden never stood a chance against Jackman's acting and the part that was written for Wolverine.

Much more could have been done to show a male rivalry competing to stop the Phoenix - perhaps Wolverine trying to save her, Cyclops realising he had to kill her, or the other way round. It would have made an interesting dynamic (a Cyclops vs Wolverine fight perhaps), especially with Storm thrown in there between them trying to stop the quarrelling and reach Jean with her sisterly bond.

But the movies never worked out that way. And they were never going to. Just view them an an alternate reality, just one other continuity. You are never going to get the exact comicbook relationships depicted exactly on screen.

X-Maniac said:
Not true. Wolverine in X1 was very much the 'alpha male' who walked all over Cyclops (the rivalry was fine, but you could just see who was the more powerful). In X2, Cyclops was absent for most of the movie. At the end Wolverine tells Cyclops 'she chose you' which i found remarkable, as she didn't seem to be facing any choice at all, she was quite clearly with Scott in a solid relationship. Jean hardly seemed to be worried about Scott during his absence.

Wolverine was never shown as junior to Cyclops in any sense, he was the 'tough guy' - the Clint Eastwood character. Jackman's portrayal made sure of that. Marsden never stood a chance against Jackman's acting and the part that was written for Wolverine.

Much more could have been done to show a male rivalry competing to stop the Phoenix - perhaps Wolverine trying to save her, Cyclops realising he had to kill her, or the other way round. It would have made an interesting dynamic (a Cyclops vs Wolverine fight perhaps), especially with Storm thrown in there between them trying to stop the quarrelling and reach Jean with her sisterly bond.

But the movies never worked out that way. And they were never going to. Just view them an an alternate reality, just one other continuity. You are never going to get the exact comicbook relationships depicted exactly on screen.
i agree. IMHO, saying Cyclops was ever portrayed fairly is trying to blind the truth, because everyone who isnt a fan thinks he is a moron (and that was before X3). Also, believing promises from Singer isnt any guarantee. He promised lots of things that werent seen in the previous movies, we cant assure that he would ever do justice to Cyclops. Saying things is much easier than making them truth. He had two movies to portray Cyclops fairly, he didnt.

X-Maniac said:

Cyclops has always been overshadowed by Wolverine in every incarnation since Wolverine's inception. Regardless, it doesn't remove the potentially poignant moments Cyclops could and should offer. X-Men 3 shouldn't and wouldn't be a "Cyclops" movie . . . but his character should offer mulitple, nice moments.

X-Maniac said:
Yes! My thoughts exactly X-Maniac. This would have been an excellent way in which to further the characters . . . On a side note, this would have been an excellent way in which to incorporate Storm, furthering her resounding leadership and strength in an attempt to support the team as certain members (Cyclops, Jean, and Wolverine) are faultering due to the circumstances that befall them. (Perhaps toss a little Emma Frost in the mix to further manipulate the situation, as well as other members of the team, and things could get very interesting).

X-Maniac said:
But the movies never worked out that way. And they were never going to.
This I disagree with. X-Men 3 could have worked out this way. The groundwork was laid, and it makes perfect sense.

It's blind assumption that people who aren't X-Men fans think that Cyclops is a moron in the films.

I know plenty of non-fans who were utterly disappointed with Cyclops' role in X-Men: The Last Stand and felt it made absolutley no sense what so ever to kill him off.

Kinberg's intended goal of "If she'll kill Scott, NOBODY IS SAFE!" didn't have that effect on anyone. It only pissed off X-Men fans, and general audience fans felt it cheapened the storyline.

Maybe the general audience is more familiar with Wolverine (and trust me, that was WELL before the movies), but that doesn't mean they dislike Cyclops. Saying otherwise is just blind assumption.

Cyclops was handled brilliantly in X-Men. Anyone who thought that anyone other than Wolverine would be the centerpiece was just dilluding themselves. Wolverine is the most recognizable character of the X-Men (again, not in any part to the movies, he had that status well before the movies came out), it only makes sense that he'd be the main character. You don't make a Batman movie and focus on Robin...

There was also nothing wrong with Cyclops' portrayal in X2. Sure he was gone for awhile, but it wasn't a mishandling of his character. It was part of Stryker's plan to take out Xavier and the leadership of the X-Men. And as soon as Cyclops came back in, HE was the one who took over, took control, and started handing out orders to everyone.

The problem with Cyclops' portrayal comes in X-Men: The Last Stand, where for whatever reasons, it was deemed neccesary to kill Cyclops off. Well, the intent of that death was lost on everyone. It pissed off X-Men fans, and cheapened the story for non-X-Men fans. Absolutley no positive came out of Cyclops' death.

Ignoring Cyclops' portrayal in X-Men and X2, however, is being blind to the truth. Cyclops WAS portrayed as the leader. He did have a significant role. The only people who see Wolverine as being portrayed as "above" Cyclops are people who can't read between the lines, and can only see directly what's laid out before them, and see Wolverine having more screentime equating to being "above" Cyclops. That's simply not true. Go back and watch X-Men and X2, and see the interactions between the 2. Particularly in X-Men, see Cyclops' interactions with the rest of the team, and how he is clearly portrayed as the leader.

The **** didn't hit the fan until X-Men: The Last Stand.

flavio_lebeau said:
i agree. IMHO, saying Cyclops was ever portrayed fairly is trying to blind the truth, because everyone who isnt a fan thinks he is a moron (and that was before X3). Also, believing promises from Singer isnt any guarantee. He promised lots of things that werent seen in the previous movies, we cant assure that he would ever do justice to Cyclops. Saying things is much easier than making them truth. He had two movies to portray Cyclops fairly, he didnt.

From my perspective Cyclops was portrayed very fairly in the first one. He owned Wolverine quite a bit, granted it wasn't as powerful as his comic book counterpart, but to say he wasn't portrayed faithfully in X1 is pushing it quite a bit.

All of his most interesting scenes was in the deleted footage section. But even without those particular enhanced scenes, he still provided some Cyclops moments that aren't to be forgotten(IMO).

Singer, while he admits to not reading the comics much, he did seem to have a grasp on character development and understood the emotion these stories carried. Cyclops in X1 led the team, saved logan and Rogue, saved Rogue and Wolverine on the Liberty Island when he ignored Jean's pleas to wait, and so on and so forth.

So he had quite a few scenes that really depicted him in a faithful manner.

X1:

Jean- You coming to bed?

Scott- I'll be up in a minute.

Logan- You going to tell me to stay away from your girl?

Scott- If I had to do that she wouldn't be my girl.

Logan- Well I guess you got nothing to worry about then do you, Cyclops?

Scott- You know, I'd feel a lot better about this if you took the mission seriously.

Logan- ::smirks::

Scott- There are mutants who take pride their powers. Especially those of us who fight for what we believe in.

Logan- Let me ask you something. You ever seen any real combat boy?

Scott- Have YOU?

Logan- ::shocked and disgusted::

Scott- Don't like to talk about your past?

Logan- Not to you.

Scott- Must eat you up that a little boy like me saved your life. Better be careful, might not be there next time.

Logan- ......

Scott- Oh and Logan. Stay away from my girl.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xavier- Storm, get Logan a uniform.

Scott- Wait a minute. He's not coming with us is he?

Xavier- Why yes.

Scott- I'm sorry professor but he'll jeporadize the mission.

Logan- Hey, I'm not the one who put a new sun roof in the building.

Scott- NO, you're the one who stabbed Rogue in the chest.

Logan- You actually go outside in these?

Scott- What would you prefer, yellow spandex?
Scott- ::looking down on a Xavier who is in a coma:: If anything happens, I promise I'll take care of them.

So he had quite a few good moments in my opinion.
Jean- Wait!

Scott- JEAN I HAVE TO!!

Jean- Just wait!!

Scott- I have a shot. I'm taking it. ::fires his optic blast into the back of Magneto::

And also, let's not forget who was the one briefing the X-Men on how to infiltrate Liberty Island. It was Cyclops explaining the foundation, explaining the entry ways, and the way they would sneak onto the island without Magneto knowing they arrived. So to say he didn't have enough scenes or wasn't true to form in X1 is a bold face lie.

LastSunrise1981 said:
From my perspective Cyclops was portrayed very fairly in the first one. He owned Wolverine quite a bit, granted it wasn't as powerful as his comic book counterpart, but to say he wasn't portrayed faithfully in X1 is pushing it quite a bit.

All of his most interesting scenes was in the deleted footage section. But even without those particular enhanced scenes, he still provided some Cyclops moments that aren't to be forgotten(IMO).

Singer, while he admits to not reading the comics much, he did seem to have a grasp on character development and understood the emotion these stories carried. Cyclops in X1 led the team, saved logan and Rogue, saved Rogue and Wolverine on the Liberty Island when he ignored Jean's pleas to wait, and so on and so forth.

X1:

Jean- You coming to bed?

Scott- I'll be up in a minute.

Logan- You going to tell me to stay away from your girl?

Scott- If I had to do that she wouldn't be my girl.

Logan- Well I guess you got nothing to worry about then do you, Cyclops?

Scott- You know, I'd feel a lot better about this if you took the mission seriously.

Logan- ::smirks::

Scott- There are mutants who take pride their powers. Especially those of us who fight for what we believe in.

Logan- Let me ask you something. You ever seen any real combat boy?

Scott- Have YOU?

Logan- ::shocked and disgusted::

Scott- Don't like to talk about your past?

Logan- Not to you.

Scott- Must eat you up that a little boy like me saved your life. Better be careful, might not be there next time.

Logan- ......

Scott- Oh and Logan. Stay away from my girl.

Xavier- Why yes.

Logan- You actually go outside in these?

Scott- What would you prefer, yellow spandex?
Scott- ::looking down on a Xavier who is in a coma:: If anything happens, I promise I'll take care of them.

So he had quite a few good moments in my opinion.
Jean- Wait!

Scott- JEAN I HAVE TO!!

Jean- Just wait!!

Scott- I have a shot. I'm taking it. ::fires his optic blast into the back of Magneto::

And also, let's not forget who was the one briefing the X-Men on how to infiltrate Liberty Island. It was Cyclops explaining the foundation, explaining the entry ways, and the way they would sneak onto the island without Magneto knowing they arrived. So to say he didn't have enough scenes or wasn't true to form in X1 is a bold face lie.
fair enough.

LastSunrise1981 said:

Fair points. The scenes you quoted show Cyclops well. As you say, he wasn't as powerful as the comicbook version. For whatever reason, Wolverine became the alpha male. They'd apparently intended Cyclops to have died 'between X2 and X3' originally!

Wow, this thread has become particularly laughable. You get the answers, but they're not what you want, so everything is "Halle's a ***** and Simon and Zak lied." Sorry guys, you don't speak for everyone on this board. I'm certainly not X3's biggest fan, but I've enjoyed the insight to the process we've been given; I don't like all the answers, but am not going to tar and feather the team. Fox dropped the ball on what could have been an AMAZING movie, but that ended up being craptacular.

LMason said:
Wow, this thread has become particularly laughable. You get the answers, but they're not what you want, so everything is "Halle's a ***** and Simon and Zak lied." Sorry guys, you don't speak for everyone on this board. I'm certainly not X3's biggest fan, but I've enjoyed the insight to the process we've been given; I don't like all the answers, but am not going to tar and feather the team. Fox dropped the ball on what could have been an AMAZING movie, but that ended up being craptacular.

If you don't like what this thread has become, then it's really too bad on your part. There are some who are really disappointed myself included, and we feel it's our responsibility to let them know exactly how we feel.

There was no reason for them to constantly lie to us, build up false hope, and then continue to contradict themselves on a daily basis. Sometimes you have to let them know how you feel, or else they'll just take your money and expect you to accept feces in return.

So in the end, what really matters is our opinion. Granted there are some who really enjoyed the film and don't feel the same way as we do. But there are more who feel just as robbed as we do, so really it's a matter of opinion and taste.

I'll continue spreading the bad word of mouth and giving my opinion until something is done to change what was released.

Kinberg's intended goal of "If she'll kill Scott, NOBODY IS SAFE!" didn't have that effect on anyone. It only pissed off X-Men fans, and general audience fans felt it cheapened the storyline.

I totally hate that excuse. "NOBODY IS SAFE", yeah, we already know who's safe and who's not, since "this is Hugh's and Halle's movie" :rolleyes:
When I mentioned to my brother Cyclops was going to die in X3, he was like "well, he was pretty useless anyway".

Kinberg said in the podcast that they had to make the movie revolve more around Hugh and Halle, since they are bigger stars than Famke. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if FOX made Wolverine the Phoenix instead of Jean! :o
They had to give Halle a bigger part since she won an Oscar, but what did she do after Monster's Ball that was so great? Seems like she needed X3 more than X3 needed her.

I just cringe whenever I hear Storm say "We work as a team" while there was certainly no teamspirit involved when it came to deviding screentime.
It were just ego's that stood in X3's way to become a great movie. :(

Yeah...bit of a rant hehe. I do like the idea of Cyclops and Wolverine teaming up to save Jean, while Storm tries to reach her through their sisterly bond, and trying to keep the team together.

WideAwake said:
Kinberg said in the podcast that they had to make the movie revolve more around Hugh and Halle, since they are bigger stars than Famke.
:rolleyes: Sure, i'd LOVE to see ANY X-movie revolved around Storm

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if FOX made Wolverine the Phoenix instead of Jean! :o
LMFAO!!!! It wouldn't be surprising.:up:
They had to give Halle a bigger part since she won an Oscar, but what did she do after Monster's Ball that was so great? Seems like she needed X3 more than X3 needed her.
Are you saying she's useless? I don't get what ur saying.

Yeah...bit of a rant hehe. I do like the idea of Cyclops and Wolverine teaming up to save Jean, while Storm tries to reach her through their sisterly bond, and trying to keep the team together.
Wolverine has done enough the past 2 movies. Let Storm and Cyclops handle this. I'd love to see Scott just trying to reach to her in any way. Thats where Storm comes in because she doesn't like the way he's doing it so instead, she's try's to reach out with the sisterly bond. With that, it'll be just like Scott and Storms leadership arguements in the comics.:) That way Logan can be the background character this time. Yeah I know for some of you "Your just mad. Logan wasn't a hoggup or a dick" fans", him being a background character is a shock.

Goddessreicho said:
That is very very true. Storm was not esstential to the movie at all. She didn't effect either one of the plots. She was not intregal to the cure storyline and she had NOTHING to do with Dark Phoenix. Hell, they had no scenes together.
:up:

This was a Hugh Jackman movie, end of story.
:up: :up:

Kinberg, Penn, Donner, and Rothman flat out lied over and over about Cyclops, who has been screwed over since the Singer adaptations. James just didn't have the Hollywood clout to fight for Cyke or else I think X3 would have been dramatically different.
:up: :up: :up: This sucks because of ANY CHARACTER in the movie, Scott should have been on of the firstb to get a decent role.

Famke, who has been quoted as having the comics and enjoyed them, did not insist on the Fire bird, so, why not?
Because probably lie some of the other workers revolved around X3, she probably lied.:) j/k

Javon,
I don't mean Halle is useless, but they gave her a bigger role, just because she's "a star", not because they wanted to make her an integral part of the story. And that's what they could have done: it's fine that Halle wants to be more involved and stood up for her character (while I liked her better in X2). But they, as you suggested, could have worked her more into the Phoenix storyline because she and Jean go way back, instead of running around insulting everyone who has every right to consider the cure.

I also agree that X3 could've brought Cyclops and Storm more to the forefront, and have Wolverine be a secondary character, since I too think his arc was completed in X2 (I'll take my chances with him).

Famke, who has been quoted as having the comics and enjoyed them, did not insist on the Fire bird, so, why not?

Let's not get carried away. Famke's on record, along with several other X-cast members (halle included), that she only read the comics when she was given them by the filmmakers or in general research of the character, and nothing more. From a press junket before X3 went into production.

Have you been preparing yourself by reading old comic books, Phoenix or anything?

Famke: No, once we get the full green light I will, but any of that kind of stuff feels just like you kinda jinx it and you get your hopes up.

After playing her a few times do you ever get curious and if you see a comic book on the stand do you ever look at where they are taking your character in the comic books? Or is that not of interest to you?

Famke: No I never do any of that, I never been a comic book reader. It's seems very complicated to me with the pictures and the little bubbles (Laughter). I have always read novels, I understand that but comic books I've never understood very well (laughter).

LastSunrise1981 said:

He didn't have to blow Wolverine away to make his point. He established that the X Mansion and the X-Men are his turf, that Wolvering is the outsider and that there are rules he needs to play by if he wants to tag along. And he was confident about knowing where Jean's heart lay. His comment to Wolvie to stay away from his girl was more of a rasberry than an actual warning, although it probably was too. The comment in X2 about "she made a choice and it was you" deserved to end in Scott punching the guy in the face. I mean let's be honest here, was there ever any doubt that she was going to choose someone else? Did Jean even hint to him that she was torn between Scott and Logan? Nope.

And Cyclops managed to handle both situations in a way that was controlled semi-polite. Works for me. The only problem with this is that the Wolverine supporters insist that the audience would rather see a bad-ass rebel, because Cyclops as the nice, principled leader is just boring.

Agreed. In some of the extended scenes like the extended bedroom Scene Cyclops really has alot more balls when dealing with Wolverine, and Jean stands up for him, challening Wolverine's notion that she'd being held back by him, and considering how dangerous Cyclops can be, that kind of control is actually a GOOD thing.

This is another scene I found interesting. People kept complaining that Cyclop's orders were being challenged, like Jean insisting she's worried he won't be able to make the shot and asking him to wait. Cyclops, confident that he could make the shot, overruled her and fired anyways - and turned out to be right. Hence a good reminder of why he's the leader and just what a great shot he is.

On another point, someone also insisted that Cyclops was not a good strategist and it was Wolverine who came up with the idea to lift him up / teleport him over to Magneto's machine. And that is also incorrect. Cyclops came up with the idea to use Storm to lift him up so he could get a clearer shot of the machine. When Storm was uncertain she could do it, Wolverine insisted she lift him up instead, the idea being that he's more expendable, and if he overshoots or misses, then at least Cyclops would be around as backup to fire at the machine anyways. At which point Cyclops coordinated the effort and got Jean involved too to help stabilize Wolvie in case Storm's lifting ability was off.

So once again he's shown as bein the leader and team coordinator / strategist. And let's not forget that in the X-Jet he was the on in the captain's chair too.

Xavier- Why yes.

He's clearly a leader here, worried about his group being able to function effectively as a team, and whether Wolverine has what it takes to function in a team environment. All valid concerns. These people trained together for years and suddenly a maverick shows up.

This to me was one of the most touching scenes. It clearly establishes Cyclops' burden in life and one which the other chars, certainly the audience can't appreciate up until this point. He's more than a leader, he's Xavier's most trusted, designated heir. Which is another reason why X3 angers me so much. Cyclops is supposed to be a strong character. Not just because of his powers but because of his courage and integrity. Like Xavier, he is not going to say something or keep a promise unless he intends to carry it out. It's foreshadowing the way Xavier tells Magneto that no matter how he intends to fight his war, Xavier will ALWAYS be there. And yet in X3 Cyclops is blown away for no reason, thus taking away his ability to keep this promise, which to me ruins the char's integrity and the whole purpose of this scene. It wasn't supposed to be just idle words!

Jean- Wait!

Scott- JEAN I HAVE TO!!

Jean- Just wait!!

Again, in a moment of doubt, Cyclops overruled her and took the shot. And his shot was perfect and accomplished what he needed to do. Hence why he is the leader and not Jean. He's not above listening to advise, but he knows how to exercise his authority. He knows the limits of what his powers can do, but this was certainlky within those limits and he proved it. Way to go, Cyke!

And also, let's not forget who was the one briefing the X-Men on how to infiltrate Liberty Island. It was Cyclops explaining the foundation, explaining the entry ways, and the way they would sneak onto the island without Magneto knowing they arrived.

He's also the one who figured out and explained Magneto's plan to everyone.

[quote So to say he didn't have enough scenes or wasn't true to form in X1 is a bold face lie.[/quote]

I most heartily agree!!! :up:

LMason said:
Famke: No I never do any of that, I never been a comic book reader. It's seems very complicated to me with the pictures and the little bubbles (Laughter). I have always read novels, I understand that but comic books I've never understood very well (laughter).

Someone should have slipped her a copy of Grail :D

Goddessreicho said:
lol
you do know the Phoenix effects were written but not accomplished, right?
And what would Famke do? Visit every company in charge of the effects and say "I Want my Phoenix Effects!!!!!". She must be the person who least cared to Phoenix effects, she must have concerned about playing the character well. And since the effect was written, she must have thought it would appear...

Xavier- Why yes.

You left out the last line.

Logan: "Why don't you take your little mission and shove it up your a**!"

Last syllable cut off by Storm, but you get the idea.

You also forget that Jean tried call them both off, and the Professor told both of them to settle it while they gave each other seething looks.

Leadership? Meh...more like an argument between two people who didn't like each other.

danoyse said:
Leadership? Meh...more like an argument between two people who didn't like each other.

Maybe you should watch the rest of x-1, you know- where Wolverine say to Scott "I'm sorry" then wears the uniforms Scott gives him like a good little boy.

Also at the statue of liberty the course of action is clearly Scott's call and no one moves until he okays the plan to sent Logan in.

danoyse said:
You left out the last line.

Logan: "Why don't you take your little mission and shove it up your a**!"

Last syllable cut off by Storm, but you get the idea.

You also forget that Jean tried call them both off, and the Professor told both of them to settle it while they gave each other seething looks.

Which is something that more or less mirrors the comic books and animated series. They did the same exact thing.

CapBeerCino said:
Also at the statue of liberty the course of action is clearly Scott's call and no one moves until he okays the plan to sent Logan in.

That's true. No one ran off and hurled Logan at Magneto's machine until Scott said it was OK, and even at that point he came up with the idea to use Jean's powers to help out and stabilize Logan during his lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"