Iron Fist Iron Fist FULL SEASON ONE Discussion Thread (NO SPOILER TAGS NECESSARY!)

All of those criticisms are Marvels fault for rushing the project and bad writing. None of them have to do with Danny being white. None of it is Finn Jones fault either. He doesn't deserve all the hate he gets.

They could have done something special with Danny by focusing on how much of outsider he felt, both during his training at K'un Lun and then coming back to the Western world having accepted and embracing Asian culture. This could have been a powerful theme for a show which is actually missing a theme. Daredevil's theme is morality, Jessica Jones's themes are trauma and consent, Luke Cage's theme is Black culture........Iron Fist's them is....??? They hinted and dabbled with him being a fish out of water but it never went anywhere after the first few episodes and by the middle of the season it fell by the wayside. I feel like they didn't address these themes, which includes the issue of race, because that was already a controversial issue with the casting of Finn and they didn't want shake the beehive anymore than they already had.

None of it is Finn Jones fault either. He doesn't deserve all the hate he gets.
Most of us know that Danny Rand/Iron Fist was not written well, this is pretty obvious. Then again Colleen Wing didn't exactly have the most depth either, but Jessica Henwick somehow managed to make her character stand out using her natural charm and charisma. She did a lot with her character, had less to work with, and has roughly the same amount of experience in front of the camera as Finn Jones...maybe even less. So yeah...I, personally, feel like Finn is partially to blame for the lackluster portrayal of Danny Rand.

Last edited:
The thing I'm struggling with is how Danny keeps saying he spent years training himself so he could keep his emotions under control. But Danny's character is being portrayed as someone who wears his heart on his sleeve and says what he thinks. It started off like be was simply naive, then frustrated (which I thought was understandable) but the longer the season goes, it just seems incredibly inconsistent.Having said that, from what I can tell, its mainly only Danny saying that, and I'm wondering if it's him just trying to convince himself. Everyone else who has a knowledge of the Iron Fist don't seem to be impressed with him or his demeanour, especially with indications that Danny has abandoned his post something along those lines.I'm hoping that its a plot point....but I think its probably just inconsistent writing.

The thing I'm struggling with is how Danny keeps saying he spent years training himself so he could keep his emotions under control. But Danny's character is being portrayed as someone who wears his heart on his sleeve and says what he thinks. It started off like be was simply naive, then frustrated (which I thought was understandable) but the longer the season goes, it just seems incredibly inconsistent.Having said that, from what I can tell, its mainly only Danny saying that, and I'm wondering if it's him just trying to convince himself. Everyone else who has a knowledge of the Iron Fist don't seem to be impressed with him or his demeanour, especially with indications that Danny has abandoned his post something along those lines.I'm hoping that its a plot point....but I think its probably just inconsistent writing.

This was a HUGE issue with the writing. Huge. And if they had put some thought into how this SUPER hero could have been realized it could have come across well. And it wouldn't take much. I get making the hero vulnerable. I get not just making him a cardboard cutout with a square jaw but... This was a case where they needed to add a little of that into the mix. They needed to take the aspects based in fantasy of the character as seriously as they did the mundane parts of his story.

It's funny because people were making fun of Finn for looking like Hyde from That 70s Show but I honestly think had they have cast Danny Masterson instead he could pull off those cringey lines better.

I actually re-watched episodes 1-6 just to get a better handle on the issues of the show and I am still of the mind that Finn was far, far less of a problem than the writing and dialog in general. Danny Rand is all over the map, none of his exposition is consistent with his actions and the story never serves the character well in most of the time. Finn was given nothing to do but stay on a superficial, surface level, and a paradoxical and inconsistent level at that.

We hear about his depth of training but outside of him knowing martial arts techniques we never see martial arts/Eastern philosophy in his character or actions. And there were ample times the story could have been written to show this off. When Claire is treating his injuries he screams and grimaces and acts like anyone else would in that situation... BUT HE'S NOT ANYONE ELSE, HE'S THE IRON FIST! So... Show Claire binding his wounds and have Danny as serenely as possible endure the pain. Perhaps even doing a prayer or chant as she stitches him up. He can wince but illustrate he has needs no pain killers.

There... A simple and cost effective way to give the audience an example of the mettle of the hero and what his training did for him. This would also give Finn something that would help him understand and define his character more than all the BS dialog they had him spout.

It's funny because people were making fun of Finn for looking like Hyde from That 70s Show but I honestly think had they have cast Danny Masterson instead he could pull off those cringey lines better.

Danny Masterson is dealing with some sexual assault allegations so probably a good thing he wasn't cast.

Not at all, they are definitely two of my favorite Marvel Netflix characters. So much fun, both of them. The actors did a phenomenal job.

Yeah, but they have the awkward position of giving a really good performance, that was an awkward fit for the show. I mean, its a mixed response. "You did an awesome acting job! Also, the show would have been better if your entire part had been excised."

I understood the concept of Iron Fist Season ONE, some did not, but in a nut shell............you gotta look at it as a boy who, do to the plane crash where he lost his parents, he was taken from civilization. He doesn't know how to interact well with and understand how people act, because he was raised in a monastery where he trained in martial arts for damn near 24/7.....He's green forreal. He also came back without telling his monks, because he at this point wants to be Danny Rand, and not The Iron Fist, also meaning without getting the full training on how to use his gift or even be the True Iron Fist........But also not knowing how to be Danny Rand, because the last time he was, he was a child. At this point in his development he's almost like Shazaam, because he's a Manchild and he has abilities he can summon.

I understood the concept of Iron Fist Season ONE, some did not, but in a nut shell............you gotta look at it as a boy who, do to the plane crash where he lost his parents, he was taken from civilization. He doesn't know how to interact well with and understand how people act, because he was raised in a monastery where he trained in martial arts for damn near 24/7.....He's green forreal. He also came back without telling his monks, because he at this point wants to be Danny Rand, and not The Iron Fist, also meaning without getting the full training on how to use his gift or even be the True Iron Fist........But also not knowing how to be Danny Rand, because the last time he was, he was a child. At this point in his development he's almost like Shazaam, because he's a Manchild and he has abilities he can summon.

Even if one wanted to grant all that, and I don't, ... It still doesn't make the execution of those ideas as seen on the show all that engaging or interesting. There would also still be a lot of inconsistency in the writing of the character and his actions given what you described. And the other issues brought up by others also still stand. There's not connection to K'un-Lun so who cares that it disappeared? Danny shows little to no influence in his actions that he's been steeped in anything close to Taoism, Buddhism, Zen or the like. The issues of pacing are still there, the unnecessary front loading of the story of Danny proving his identity... Eh. The many criticisms still stand.

I'm on episode 3. So far the only likeable characters are Hogarth and maybe Wing. The Meachum brats are the Trumps of the MCU and make me want to skip all their scenes. Danny behaves like a legitimate crazy person at worst and an unstable person at best. Not sure why anyone on this production thought that was a good idea.

Last edited:
Only got the last episode left to watch and I've really enjoyed it all so far.

Just finished it.Id probably give it a 6 or 7 overall. There are a whole heap of problems with it, but I cannot say that I've disliked it as a whole.In terms of all of the Defenders, I'm probably most interested in where Danny goes from here. He still has a lot of growing to do whereas the others are right where they should be really.

I'm on episode 3. So far the only likeable characters are Hogarth and maybe Wing. The Meachum brats are the Trumps of the MCU and make me want to skip all their scenes. Danny behaves like a legitimate crazy person at worst and an unstable person at best. Not sure why anyone on this production thought that was a good idea.

The Meachums get better, especially Ward.

Give the show more time. It really drags in the beginning, but finds its pace half-way through.

It blows my mind that they didn't do a single flashback to Danny training in K'un L'un. All the other shows did it. On DD we saw Matt hanging with Foggy in college, and in season 2 we saw him meeting Elektra, and we even saw both of them as kids training with Stick. JJ had plenty of flashbacks to her time under Killgrave's control as well as before that when she was just hanging out with Trish. My favorite episode of Luke Cage was his origin episode where he gets sent to SeaGate, fights Rackham, and gets his powers. Yet the only flashbacks we get of Danny were from when he was a kid before the plane crash, and his training is all from his vague descriptions while I'm thinking "why can't I watch that?? THAT sounds interesting!"

Makes me wonder if this show had a smaller budget than DD, JJ, and LC.

With JJ I could definitely sense the budgetary constraints (usually when Jess had to do a long-jump), but the performances were so solid and the story so relentlessly gripping that it was in no way a deal-breaker.

This is the first Marvel Netflix series I am pretty down on. Ive only watched the first episode and it didn't grab me at all. And I have no urge honestly to go back and finish the rest. Love DD both seasons, greatly enjoyed JJ and LC. But this is not keeping my attention, I'm surprised.

I'm on Episode 8 but atm I'd rank them:

Daredevil
Iron Fist
Jessica Jones / Luke Cage

Gotta say that I really liked Danny when he was being a normal nice guy, but it seemed like for a lot of the show he was just really unstable and needed a good slap. I think he was doubting himself and losing control for too long, which made it a little tough for me to get 100% invested in him.

I actually re-watched episodes 1-6

You sir, are a braver man than I... I could barely get through it the first time!

The writing was so bad and characters didn't make sense. The few that actually did make kinda sense in their actions the writing was making us not like the character, so the the actual pull of the story didn't make sense!

Bad acting all around but there is only so much you can do with that writing.

Iron Fist is shown as such a wuss....How the heck is he a super hero? A security guard nearly takes him out several times.

Hoping this is just a blip on the radar and not a Marvel future problem. Their shield is def tarnished after this one though...

Also, did the ending actually make sense to anyone else?

I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say their shield is "tarnished".

Their batting average is pretty freakin' good considering. I mean, to this point, the "worst" things to come out of the MCU is, what, Iron Man 2 or Thor: The Dark World? And both of those film are still relatively entertaining in their own right.

It looks like all these Marvel Netflix shows suffer from budget problems and what I don't understand is why all of them insist on doing 13 episode seasons? I think it's nearly unanimous that everyone thinks that 9-10 would suffice with telling these stories. They need to save money by cutting these episodes and using whatever extra money they can get from that by upping the quality of the episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"