BvS Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dread?

Come on people...

I don't get this Goyer hate. The guy had his hand in the entire Dark Knight trilogy.

Now people are acting like he writes dialogue as bad as George Lucas did for the prequel Star Wars trilogy.

Man of Steel was a good movie. Perfect? No. But it was a good movie. I don't get what people are afraid of? No the movie didn't get universal critical acclaim, it got mixed reviews. But is there really any stock to be put in that when Superman Returns has a 75% on Rotten Tomatoes?

My point is that this is a complete overreaction.

Maybe Geoff Johns should be put in charge...

Last edited:
It’s not so much that Goyer and Snyder are the creative minds behind this project that people are dreading about, but more so on how Superman will be affected by this, let alone the fact that some of us are concerned that the stuff that was built up to be resolved at the end of MOS within the given sequel wont’ be given as much time now that Batman is in the frame.

The excitement is downright *********ory. :o

The excitement is downright *********ory. :o

MeTc5.gif

I'm pretty psyched.

I mean...it's Batman AND Superman. It'd be impossible for me not to be.

Really, the only thing that worries me is the unknown factor at this point, which is Batman. But I'm even still. Pretty psyched. I kinda wish it'd be called World's Finest, but that'll never happen.

Dread?

Come on people...

I don't get this Goyer hate. The guy had his hand in the entire Dark Knight trilogy.

The common opinion is that he's a weak writer who has good story ideas and works best when partnered with other writers who make up for his weaknesses. The Dark Knight Trilogy was (mostly) great, but it also had Jonathan and Christopher Nolan involved in the writing process. Also, the film Goyer had the least amount of involvement in, The Dark Knight, is generally considered to be the best of the series. Also also, it's generally thought that hist worst movies are the ones he wrote entirely by himself, and those are fairly awful films (Blade Trinity being a prime example).

Maybe Geoff Johns should be put in charge...

Wow, God no. I'm really not a fan of Geoff Johns as a writer.

Last edited:
I'm still just anxious to see where goyer takes batman this time around given that we already have 'his' version in tdk trilogy. I definitely would like to have another writer on board for touch ups/rewrites with the dialog, but goyer always has great story ideas, so I'm excited to see where he goes with a Batman/Superman confrontation.

My one fear is that if they call it Batman vs. Superman that we will get a flood of people coming in here asking why Superman is in Batman's movie .
Other than that , I am looking forward to the film itself.

It’s not so much that Goyer and Snyder are the creative minds behind this project that people are dreading about, but more so on how Superman will be affected by this, let alone the fact that some of us are concerned that the stuff that was built up to be resolved at the end of MOS within the given sequel wont’ be given as much time now that Batman is in the frame.

My concern exactly. All the smart ideas were always given to batman.

Anyway, since I really love MOS, I will give my trust to them...

Dreadful...esp after MOS...its safe to say WB is not ready to make a flawless performance or a team up of this magnitude.

Yea yea mos was good and passable but it should of had less flaws.

The common opinion is that he's a weak writer who has good story ideas and works best when partnered with other writers who make up for his weaknesses. The Dark Knight Trilogy was (mostly) great, but it also had Jonathan and Christopher Nolan involved in the writing process. Also, the film Goyer had the least amount of involvement in, The Dark Knight, is generally considered to be the best of the series. Also also, it's generally thought that hist worst movies are the ones he wrote entirely by himself, and those are fairly awful films (Blade Trinity being a prime example).

Wow, God no. I'm really not a fan of Geoff Johns as a writer.

A lot of Batman fans think that Begins was the best "Batman" movie though and I believe that was the one with the most involvement from Goyer.

And the Geoff Johns thing was a joke.

Anyway, I'm not saying Goyer is the best out there, but I do think people are overreacting to his and Snyder's involvement.

Dreadful...esp after MOS...its safe to say WB is not ready to make a flawless performance or a team up of this magnitude.

Yea yea mos was good and passable but it should of had less flaws.

Here's my problem with this statement. There is no such thing as a flawless movie.

I believe the consensus is that the two best Marvel movies are The Avengers and Iron Man 1, and that The Dark Knight was the best of TDK trilogy.

None of those movies are flawless and if people really wanted to pick them apart, they could.

It bothers me when you have people shouting "plot holes" at The Dark Knight Rises, and yet in The Dark Knight The Joker can seem to magically teleport all over the city and have explosive barrels in places that would have been checked by officials, people don't seem to care.

Or that fact that both The Avengers and Iron Man descend into big CGI fights at the end, that The Avengers reuses the bad guy getting himself caught on purpose trope and for really no good reason, how much influence Banner has on the Hulk is inconsistent or unexplained, etc...

And now that I think about it, Skyfall also reuses that villain getting himself caught trope as well and it really makes no sense there either.

That isn't to say these aren't good or great movies.

Citizen Kane has a gigantic fatal plot hole in it and people consider it one of, if not the greatest movie of all time. Same with Casablanca's story having logic holes in it.

Yeah, I think I'm approaching a feeling of dread towards this news. After TDKR and MOS, I've mostly lost confidence in the vision they have for Batman and Superman. It hurts to admit this, but I don't trust these guys with the characters anymore.

Too bad this couldn't be discussed in the other half dozen MOS2 threads

I feel like this situation is like that of a military soldier who just came back from a battle with some bruises (this case, being the mixed reception from critics and fans) and even though the soldier should get some medical treatment and was scheduled to do regular patrol duty, he is instead given a near suicide mission to accomplish with little time to recover.lol

I guess I'm not too surprised about this announcement especially in the context of WB history with trying to have a team up film in one form or another since 2004. Heck they were talking about putting Batman in the Superman Lives Nic Cage days. Then they tried JLA in 2007 to which Nolan and Singer opposed. Then we had El May's report that Nolan or not, WB wanted to do either a Worlds Finest or JLA.

I think in WB's mind, after Nolan was done with his trilogy , and Snyder was making a world in which these characters could fit , All bets would be off , and a team up film was gonna happen one way or another.

Further, I think while Snyder and co would have preferred a solo sequel, WB always wanted a team up after MOS, whether it was JLA or MOS. I don't buy the arguement that it was a last minute thing that they did only because MOS did't hit a billion. I think it was a factor, but truthfully they were probably mandate a team up next anyway.

I think WB feels that Disney Avengers has given them the license to move forward full steam ahead. I suspect that from their pov , they could take the slow world building route trying to get several individual franchises off the ground over this decade leading up to JLA, however by the time they would reach their goal, Marvel would be in phase 3 and probably rebooting several of their properties making JLA or Batman/Superman seem almost moot.

WB probably feels that they had two different solo Batman franchises and Several Superman films and tv shows. Therefore, they can afford to do something new which will guarantee a fortune from the general public despite what fan bases have issues with it.

It isn't like the DC animated universe had solo series for any heroes beyond Batman and Superman prior to Justice League. And quite frankly I still find most of Superman:TAS to be lackluster.

I always felt like the DC animated universe tackled Superman better when he wasn't alone.

MOS was a train wreck. So I'm not too optimistic about this movie.

MOS was a train wreck. So I'm not too optimistic about this movie.

Because they didn't show Clark having a cheerful childhood and pa Kent is too protective?

MOS isn't a typical superhero movie where you would see the people cheering and care their hero. But MOS really does Superman right. I hope you would change your mind after a while.

Yeah, I think I'm approaching a feeling of dread towards this news. After TDKR and MOS, I've mostly lost confidence in the vision they have for Batman and Superman. It hurts to admit this, but I don't trust these guys with the characters anymore.

My sentiments exactly. MoS' shortcomings notwithstanding, this all seems a very knee-jerk, reactionary move on WB's part. The fact that they've apparently placed all of their trust and confidence in Snyder & Goyer makes it even more unsettling.

Everyone saying that MOS was a wreck and this is dreadful news, would you rather we still be in the Batman Forever/Batman and Robin days? Surely we can agree that MOS wasn't a wreck when compared to that garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"