Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Discussion in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' started by Snark88, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBat812

TheBat812 Well-Known Member

Doesn't really matter what its called to me. If it involves the same character and chracterization, while keeping the story of the first as the backstory, its still a sequel to MoS. assuming its primarily a Superman focused story, which I feel like it will be. But that's still up in the air I suppose. But given the direction they were heading, that would make the most sense - a superman story that involves batman.

2. ThePowerCosmic

The fact that it will be marketed as a versus movie will get a s**tload of people excited for it. The chance to not only see a legendary team-up, but a legendary showdown too?! Give me my ticket NOW.

I really don't see them portraying Batman as the antagonist for WF.

3. ares834

ares834 Vader's Fist

Yeah, if the showdown does play a large role in the film. Batman serving as the antagonist for the majority of the film is the way to go.

4. J.Drangal

J.Drangal Well-Known Member

We have to wait a confimation about the fact that this movie is MOS 2 or not. But in my mind, this is the way that DC goes to not repeat the Marvel process :
    There's no multiple franchise, just one for the entire universe with a logical first step of Superman being the first superhero (like a nod to the comics history in a way). There's a natural progression from his coming to the repercussions (Batman's interest for him) until the creation of the League. Basically, this is the "phase one".
    The second will certainly be the starts from the solo franchises.
    Just my opinion, but to me, it makes sens.

5. jmc

jmc away for a while

I honestly don't know how you make it a Superman story that just happens to have Batman in it.

6. Mr. Thing

Mr. Thing HAHAHAHA no.

Excited by the prospect, but when I think about it, I'm feeling pretty down about it. Goyer and Snyder writing it, in particular, is a big downer for me. I just don't think they'll get it right.

7. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

They should hire Paul Dini as their Gandalf, guiding them through the DCU.

8. Frodo

Frodo Well-Known Member

To me the whole thing doesn't seem reactionary at all. This is the film they've wanted to do since before the names Chris Nolan and Zack Snyder were even attached to potential Batman and Superman franchises.

Then they tried to get JLA off the ground twice, and as early as December were trying to get Nolan on board for a Worlds Finest film. That says to me that this was always going to be the plan one way or another as far as WB was concerned. The filmmakers are a different story, but I doubt now that WB had somehow wanted another solo Lex led Superman sequel .

Its reactionary in this sense that they're kicking it into high gear because of Avengers 1 and AAOA, but they've wanted to do something like this since at least 2004. The reason we didn't get a JLA in 2007 is due to scripting reasons plus Nolan and Singer.

9. FlawlessVictory

FlawlessVictory Well-Known Member

I'm coming around on the idea of this WF film. I understand wanting a more fully developed Superman before Batman appeared. However, it does make sense, being that it is a shared universe, that another hero would step up once Superman became public. Another hero is going to want to know what Superman is about. Can he be trusted going forward?

In this case, this hero stepping up will be Batman, the world's greatest detective. Why would Batman sit around and wait until Superman is "fully developed" to find out what he is about. He is going to want to know right away what this alien's deal is, especially after the catastrophic events at the end of MOS.

10. itsthebatman

itsthebatman Well-Known Member

The concept is fine, it's the execution that has me concerned. Goyer needs to write a more heroic Superman and write a different Batman (more World's Greatest Detective than World's Biggest Sulker).

If done right, the film can be stellar, but I don't want to see outright confrontation between them for the whole movie, more something like the dynamic in a cop buddy movie where the young urban hotshot and old rural veteran detective are forced to team up despite their differences but have mutual respect by the end of the film. Lethal Weapon with superheroes.

11. Ms. Marvel

Ms. Marvel Screwed up Avenger

It's not like I said "no they are good movies", if they said "MCU movies are bad" I wouldn't say anything. I was just replying to the "MCU doesn't try to be anything but silly & shallow" comment. :o

As for being condescending, I can't argue with you there.

12. ares834

ares834 Vader's Fist

It's really not that hard. They could do it the same way Lex Luthor: Man of Steel did it. Heck, that would even make sense considering what happened in MoS.

With that said, I'd rather it be a Superman/Batman movie than a Superman film with Batman in it.

13. Disciple of Syn

Disciple of Syn Active Member

I'm actually thinking that Batman might have been active before Superman, but functioning primarily in the shadows as a sort of mythological type creature, with Superman being the world's first open superhero in the eyes of...Metropolitans(????) But I have to say, and I don't want to be a downer, but I really....REAAALLLLYYYY hope that they bring in another writer for this project down the line. I'm stoked as all hell for this movie, but I'm uncertain if it's in the hands of people capable of making certain this movie reaches its maximum potential. In the right hands, I honestly feel like a movie such as this could leap past The Avengers without sweating.

14. Ms. Marvel

Well, they can reuse the Batman from B&R, with the Batnipples and the Bat credit-card (but use Taylor Lautner instead of George Clooney). That way Superman will automatically be the coolest person in his movie. :woot:

That may backfire though......

15. TheFlamingCoco

TheFlamingCoco Well-Known Member

You make him a complication, not a main or even primary supporting character.
    Did the "Fake Buzz" steal the focus of Toy Story 2 away from Woody?

No, because he was designed to stand in the way from the real one saving Woody.

Similarly, if Batman has a particular function, performs that function, then leaves, MOS2 can still be "Superman's movie."

But that would take a sense of intelligence, tact, and boldness on the part of the storytellers. Let's hope for the best.

16. Ms. Marvel

Yes but what if Batman is so awesome in his scenes, people leave the movie saying "Batman stole the show"? I'm not saying it will happen, but it happens quite a lot in movies - where the supporting character steals the show despite not getting that much screen time and focus.

17. jjgravitas

jjgravitas Well-Known Member

Not interested. Putting the two of them on one film just sounds like an excuse to pack people in the theater seats.

18. jmc

jmc away for a while

I'm sorry, but once you've got Batman in the title he cannot be confined to the role of a bit player in the cast, the entire selling point is that this is Batman and Superman on screen together for the first time. If Batman is only in it fleetingly then you've essentially wasted the entire concept and people will see it as nothing more than a marketing gimmick. This is why I feel it's too early for this movie, Man of Steel 2 needs to follow on from the events of film one, Batman can wait until a more status quo type of situation in there for Superman.

19. Ms. Marvel

That is true.

20. dmc

dmc Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind Batman stealing the show. That would just mean they made him awesome.

21. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

Since this is supposed to be a sequel to Man of Steel I'd prefer if they let Clark remain the principle character, even if Batman is handled well. I wouldn't mind at all if Batman is a supporting character, and I say that as a bigger fan of Batman than Superman.

22. DarthDorranceBane

DarthDorranceBane Well-Known Member

No character will stole the show because this is a Goyer-scripted Snyder-directed film so both Batman and Superman will be sulky.

23. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

We'll see. I just hope there's a contrast between the two characters. I think they will.

24. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

If you find substance, that's great. Every time you pop in the BluRay you're bound to have a great time. Doesn't make what I said pretentious in the slightest, especially when it's my honest opinion.

25. smallville fan

I can understand the appeal of a fight, but it shouldn't be the main focus, Lex Luthor's the bad guy here. It's probably the title bothering me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.