Is orgins still apart of the timeline now?

Discussion in 'The Wolverine' started by bhayes, Oct 26, 2012.

1. JerseyJoker

JerseyJoker Well-Known Member

The use of bone claws were good ways to book end this film i thought. Showing where Logan came from pre-Weapon X and where is he going to be heading into DOFP.

2. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

I would like to see Wolverine's bone claws in DOFP!

3. Spider-Vader

Spider-Vader Mercin' & Workin'

I think they can retcon Origins easily. Infact, it'd make the canon make more sense. I didn't see any references to it in The Wolverine; so were good.

4. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

I don't see how they could work round that at this point. The bone claws were an interesting note in The Wolverine.

5. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

People should REALLY prepare themselves for a total X-retcon next year.

6. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

I'm scared for that!

7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Well-Known Member

Why? Nothing I've seen suggests anything of the sort.

8. Gianakin_

It's far harder to retcon ceertain stuff by means of time travel. I mean, either they retcon jsut the Trask/Sentinel stuff and keep every existing X-movie intact (fine by me, after seeing TW), or they go for everything psot-70s-DoFP. To retcon just XMOW and X3 (and thus, TW, too) is... tricky.

9. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

Bryan Singer has already said several times that he will be 'fixing things'. I think it's safe to say that the time travel will be changing some of the things of X3 at the very least.

10. Gianakin_

I can wait and see. Actually, I can't, but you know what I mean.:woot:

11. Nell2ThaIzzay

Nell2ThaIzzay Well-Known Member

Well, Kayla for one.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine absolutely is part of the timeline. There's really no valid argument against it at this point.

12. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

Its weird the fixing things angle cause I wouldn't want him to change the end of X3 in terms of Logan killing Jean cause then it makes the Wolverine obselete really.

13. Lord

Lord All Mighty

When did they reference Kayla?

14. Gianakin_

Right before he wakes up, after being captured by the ninjas. We hear him in a flashback shouting "Kayla".

15. Lord

Lord All Mighty

Oh, then i guess this s*** is canon

[​IMG]

16. Gianakin_

For now, yes. Everything's canon.

17. MoPlaYa

MoPlaYa Crazy Guy

Everything is canon until DOFP fixes a few things...lol

18. Gianakin_

Precisely.

19. Nell2ThaIzzay

Yup.

Always was, always will be. There's no reason to believe otherwise.

I also doubt that Days of Future Past is going to go out of it's way to undo all the things the fanboys hate.

It would make no sense for them to go through with The Wolverine, which not only doesn't contradict X-Men: The Last Stand or X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but actually is specific in confirming them, all the while knowing that Days of Future Past was coming out in a year to undo it all.

There will be an explanation as to why Magneto has his powers and Xavier is alive, and I would imagine that will be the bulk of the "retconning".

The last 2 movies in the series have gone out of their way to confirm and connect to the previous movies - X-Men: First Class blatantly referencing the trilogy, particularly X-Men, and to a lesser extent X2 and X-Men: The Last Stand, while The Wolverine blatantly referenced and connected to X-Men: The Last Stand and made lots of references to X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

There would be no reason for them to spend 2 movies connecting to the rest of the series, even further establishing all the movies as interconnected, if they were planning on undoing it all with Days of Future Past.

20. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

DoFP isn't going to undo everything fanboys hate, but it seems pretty clear from the director's own words that he will be changing a couple of things. He won't rewrite entire movies, but I can imagine one or two major things like Cyclops death may be undone in an alternative future (or however he chooses to address any changes).

21. Nell2ThaIzzay

I would imagine that Singer's "fixing" comment is in regards to Xavier, Magneto, and possibly Rogue.

There's no actor even cast as Cyclops in the film, so I doubt they undo that. Unless Marsden and Famke have been secretly cast, I wouldn't expect much undoing outside of Xavier, Magneto, and Rogue.

22. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Well-Known Member

Singer's basically flat-out said that he's going to maintain at least SOME of the existing continuity, so completely tossing everything that happened from 1973 on - or tossing out just the events of O:W or TLS - isn't likely to happen.

What I do think is likely to happen is that he resurrects certain characters and offers an explanation for certain things that fans continue to complain about (Xavier walking), and makes some changes to the events of TLS so that they happened, but they happened in a slightly different way to what we saw.

Someone posted the following in a thread I started in the DoFP forums, and it's something that I not only think could very possibly happen, it also very much fits into what Singer's said about what he wants to do insofar as the timetravel and 'fixing some things' is concerned:

23. BlackFox

BlackFox Red devil

Is anyone else concerned that Logan is going to go back to being a ***** cat in DoFP as its tone is not likely going to be the same as The Wolverine.

After getting the character finally right I'm a bit concerned he's going to be neutered in Singers film.

Is he going to be able to make the transition back to a team player after a very different solo outing?

24. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

Technically Ratner already did the fixing with those characters. From what I've read about the Xavier scene at least it seemed like Ratner's attempt to save Xavier from that fate since he didn't seem to have the choice not to have Dark Phoenix vapourise him.

As for Rogue and Magneto. The cure was already shown not to have worked properly. Talking to my brother, who is a very casual viewer in my opinion, he was by no means surprised at seeing Magneto again and very quickly brought up the X3 scene with Magneto displaying some power at the end.

Aside from that. Singer by no means spells out what will be fixed. It really could be anything at this point. As far as Cyclops goes that is just part of my own speculation (though there is unconfirmed rumours of Marsden traveling with Halle Berry).

25. Chaplin1914

Chaplin1914 New Member

Outside of Sabretooth, I'd say they could just ignore ORIGINS all together.