Comics Is there really any "good" way to get rid a MJ

stillanerd said:
Very good points, as always, Dragon. The more I read Joe Q's comments, the more I think that he just wants an excuse for Peter to start dating all kinds of women like he did during the late 70s/early 80s which I contend is very wrong for the character and how every one of those potential love interests he went through are barely memorable--except for the Black Cat, and even THAT was just a rip-off of the Batman/Catwoman relationship. If Joe Q even contends that MJ is the right girl for Peter, then what's the point in having them date other people just to prove this? It's already been proven.

Right on, again. If he's so interested in attracting the 9-year olds back, then he'd really ought to start on the CONTENT of the stories themselves, especially since their new rating system--like most rating systems--are pretty much worthless anyway. Also, as I stated earlier, his comment that marriage makes Peter's life more "comfortable" is ridiculous when you consider how much hard work is put into marriages to make it work, much less all the marriage counsellors and the self-help book market to help such couples work out their problems--and considering the divorce rate, there is a risk of failure.

It all comes down to simple nostalgia, in that these creators believe they can recapture and at the same time write "better" stories than Stan Lee's run on Spider-Man. Plus the fact that most comic book creators really don't like continuity.

Excellent points here.

My major issues with Joe Q's statements are the fact that he seems to think that an older spider-man is of no interest to younger readers. Maybe I was in the minority when I was a kid but I always prefered my heroes as adults and didn't like the teen heroes or side kicks as much. I wanted someone to aspire to not relate too, which is why I was quite happy to see Pete at college and getting a job when I was a kid. As long as Spidey has exciting adventures, kids will love him, whether he's married or not.

Also when you consider that one of the most popular heroes for children is Wolverine, who is about as far from a teenager as one can get, it's clear that the age thing isn't of any consequence to kids.

As stillanerd said, If kids are not buying the comics, its because of the content, the cost and the availability. Not because Spider-Man appears to be too old for them to relate to.

As for marriage making Peter's life comfortable- When was that? When has his life been comfortable EVER? Just because he has someone to go home to doesn't make his life easy in anyway.

Dragon said:
Also when you consider that one of the most popular heroes for children is Wolverine, who is about as far from a teenager as one can get, it's clear that the age thing isn't of any consequence to kids.

As stillanerd said, If kids are not buying the comics, its because of the content, the cost and the availability. Not because Spider-Man appears to be too old for them to relate to.

As for marriage making Peter's life comfortable- When was that? When has his life been comfortable EVER? Just because he has someone to go home to doesn't make his life easy in anyway.

:up: Great post.

Also, I never seen kids in comic stores anyway. Seriously, kids don't read anymore anyway let alone comics. I'm curious as to what imaginery children Joe Q is talking about reading his comics?

Maybe at one point "Kids" were the ones picking up comics but it hasn't been that way for a LONG time now and that isn't about to change.

Doc Ock said:
LOL! The guy who gave Sins Past and the Other the green light is dissing one of the greatest deaths in Spidey's history :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's a little out there. Spec. Spider-Man # 200 was, and still is, a fantastic Spider-Man issue and story. Please...oh please...lets not ruin THAT one too! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"