It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not uncommon to include traps under the umbrella of shoulders as they are usually worked together with delts.

It's not uncommon to include traps under the umbrella of shoulders as they are usually worked together with delts.

Yes, but saying "shoulders AND delts" no matter what sounds odd.

What in the world are you talking about?

The muscles of the SHOULDERS are the DELTS (deltoids).

What I was trying to convey is that other muscles (not just the deltoids) make up the shoulder girdle, including the teres major, trapezius, levator scapulae, and others.

If you're going to try and make a point about whether the suit has padding or not, you should use a real picture and not a photoshop of a photoshop.

i did hence the movie pic the abs are full fledge sculpted and look like crap abdominals to not wrinkle in the middle only in the crease

Padding the suit allows them to allows them to film the actor looking built at every point. Those pictures of that model are pictures of the guy in a posed position. It's not going to show when he running around and what not.

As to being able to put on the MOS suit and look built. Well if your similar in size to Cavil sorta.

Maguire Spider-man figured this out. They used a muscle suit and and airbrushing. Routh's suit had padding but it wasn't really built around his muscles. nor did it enhance it. It's kinda odd seeing as the BTS played around with padding that really came through.

they did the same for Cavill's torso and shoulders

Yes. Here’s my theory. :word:

Purists consult the comics as ultimate authority. They note the bright blue and red in the costume (not to mention the fine smoothness of the “fabric”) and conclude that this must be the model for a live-action recreation. Yet when this is done, there’s something distinctly unimpressive about the result - between media, something is lost in translation (just review the examples posted in the last couple of pages). What happened?

Well… look again at a typical comic book image of Supes. There’s actually a fair amount of “black” augmenting the blue and red. Of course, we don’t read this as the color black - we correctly interpret the dark ink as the shadows and shading that define muscle contours, fabric folds, etc. But I maintain that this “black” has a cumulative perceptual effect. It tends to subdue the blue and red (which would be overwhelmingly bright/gaudy otherwise) and it adds valuable “texture” and “visual interest/realism” to the image. So far, so good.

Except… when a costume designer tries for a reasonable facsimile, there isn’t (obviously) any “black” on the fabrics chosen; they’re pure blue and red - because that’s what the comics seem to specify. And the unsatisfactory result is a bright, flat, washed-out effect - even when the actor has a Mr. Universe physique. (As you note, you can partially address this by lighting Supes in a harsh, shadowy “film noir” style. But Superman isn’t Batman; he often appears in broad daylight.)

The solution, imo, is “interpretation” and not “imitation.” This would include darkening the colors (to compensate for the lack of “black”). It also makes sense, I think, to add “fabric texture” to (re)create the aforementioned “visual interest” (which is non-existent with a plain/smooth leotard).

And note that MOS has done these very things. :cwink:

A always love it when you pull that one out of your back pocket. :D

A always love it when you pull that one out of your back pocket. :D

Yeah. I really should have this stuff filed for easy cut-and-paste access... instead of re-writing from scratch every time. :cwink:

[FONT=&quot]***[/FONT]I think the SR blue is beautiful. Just the red is too muted and maroon-ish. MOS does the reverse.

NEWManofsteel.jpg

Suit's too dark. Cape attachment should be bigger.

Constant whining. The sun in his back obviously doesnt help the brightness of the suit.

The attachment is one of the best things with the suit.

People do realise that the front of the suit is heavy shadowed in the latest picture?

I got a little bored today and figured I'd photoshop something, I came across this picture and thought I'd see what Cavill looked like in the classic suit.

superman20.png

I got a little bored today and figured I'd photoshop something, I came across this picture and thought I'd see what Cavill looked like in the classic suit.

superman20.png

Nice....I like it.

Of course they dont.

... They're standing in the middle of a salt flat in the middle of the day with the sun hitting from the back right, shadows have nothing to do with it. The suit is dark in that shot because the director wanted it that dark. I take back what I said though about the attachment, whatever it's fine. I just prefer it a bit bigger, but it's just a nitpick.

superman20.png

:applaud. Very nice work. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"