It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lencho01

Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Maybe, but you can still see it here...

[​IMG]

2. Krumm

Krumm Beer Snob

Yes, but it's not as impressive as it was in the previous pictures and still not as impressive as what Cavill has with the body suit.

3. Lencho01

I'm not sure how you can gauge impressiveness in either case.

4. Kryptonian Warrior

Kryptonian Warrior The Dawn Is Upon Us

Good grief we need some more news. This current conversation is getting really old and going nowhere really fast.

5. hulk24

hulk24 Well-Known Member

that's because the abs here are airbrushed and on a dummy no muscle suit needed. I'm not trying to troll I am a professional fx artist I've made my fair share of muscle suits for talent. I always use the talents anatomy and enhance, it not make my own because it looks unnatural. It probably bugs me more than you guys cause it's like a Carptenter that sees a flaw in a table. The owner loves it the carpenter will go nuts cause it's the one little thing that stands out.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  6. Alien Anal

Alien Anal Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I think this costume is one of the best costumes i have seen yet but i dont know why people insist of giving superman such a toy looking belt. It stops it from looking like something an adult could wear. Heck even SR had a stupid plasitc belt

7. TDK elbowstrike

TDK elbowstrike "I'm a man of my word..."

That suit actually looks pretty impressive to me. It wouldn't be right for this movie, but its a good Superman. He looks tough enough to pummel both Dean Cains and Brandon Rouths Superman at the same time. Couldn't beat up Cavils Superman though, his cape isn't nearly long enough. :yay:

8. Lencho01

Maybe giving him a belt that looks like it's being used would help?

:funny:

9. sf2

sf2 Well-Known Member

A regular guy wearing this suit will look exactly like the muscular Henry Cavill wearing this suit. Am I correct?

10. sf2

sf2 Well-Known Member

u still can see abs... just saying.[​IMG]

11. dabilee01

dabilee01 Well-Known Member

Yes, but it looks horrid (my opinion, of course). Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Spandex was acceptable in its day. Now, it's just laughable. We need, no, demand, something better!

12. sf2

sf2 Well-Known Member

Indeed we do. Spandex is so common now among cosplayers. They spent a Ferrari to make a superman suit. (quote fr SR’s Singer) What do u think! Of course they can and should afford better suit than a poor cosplayer. [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

13. Dr.

Dr. Well-Known Member

Yes. Here’s my theory. :word:

Purists consult the comics as ultimate authority. They note the bright blue and red in the costume (not to mention the fine smoothness of the “fabric”) and conclude that this must be the model for a live-action recreation. Yet when this is done, there’s something distinctly unimpressive about the result - between media, something is lost in translation (just review the examples posted in the last couple of pages). What happened?

Well… look again at a typical comic book image of Supes. There’s actually a fair amount of “black” augmenting the blue and red. Of course, we don’t read this as the color black - we correctly interpret the dark ink as the shadows and shading that define muscle contours, fabric folds, etc. But I maintain that this “black” has a cumulative perceptual effect. It tends to subdue the blue and red (which would be overwhelmingly bright/gaudy otherwise) and it adds valuable “texture” and “visual interest/realism” to the image. So far, so good.

Except… when a costume designer tries for a reasonable facsimile, there isn’t (obviously) any “black” on the fabrics chosen; they’re pure blue and red - because that’s what the comics seem to specify. And the unsatisfactory result is a bright, flat, washed-out effect - even when the actor has a Mr. Universe physique. (As you note, you can partially address this by lighting Supes in a harsh, shadowy “film noir” style. But Superman isn’t Batman; he often appears in broad daylight.)

The solution, imo, is “interpretation” and not “imitation.” This would include darkening the colors (to compensate for the lack of “black”). It also makes sense, I think, to add “fabric texture” to (re)create the aforementioned “visual interest” (which is non-existent with a plain/smooth leotard).

And note that MOS has done these very things. :cwink:

14. Krumm

Krumm Beer Snob

And again, another extremely well thought out and comprehensive post. You found the hidden theory buried beneath my simple post. Bravo. :applaud

15. Lead Cenobite

Lead Cenobite Exquisitely Empty

If you're going to try and make a point about whether the suit has padding or not, you should use a real picture and not a photoshop of a photoshop.

16. The Shield

The Shield It's really Happening!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  17. Llama_Shepherd

Llama_Shepherd Well-Known Member

Not exactly, they'd need to be roughly the same size as Henry, as it is tailored specifically for him.

18. Sun_Down

Sun_Down Groovy

Thanks to all the people that posted spandex suits. It really makes me appreciate the actual MOS suit :D

Not really, unless you had his exact same body. If you put a 140 lb. dude in there he'd look ridiculous. Same if you put somebody overweight in there.

19. ArmsHeldOut

ArmsHeldOut Peaky Blinder

LOL Imagine someone with a really big gut trying to put the suit on.

20. spidermanJLA!~

spidermanJLA!~ SUPERHERO

I actually prefer the padding to spandex. The new texture looks a bit rubbery, but it works for a movie.
    [​IMG]

21. sf2

sf2 Well-Known Member

So material is this?

22. SuperMike335!!

SuperMike335!! Well-Known Member

This is correct, we need to actually see it in the movie, while he is moving around.

This is important as in many movies a behind the set shot will look odd, it does not have the benefit of proper lighting or digital effects.

23. storyteller

storyteller Well-Known Member

Padding the suit allows them to allows them to film the actor looking built at every point. Those pictures of that model are pictures of the guy in a posed position. It's not going to show when he running around and what not.

As to being able to put on the MOS suit and look built. Well if your similar in size to Cavil sorta.

Maguire Spider-man figured this out. They used a muscle suit and and airbrushing. Routh's suit had padding but it wasn't really built around his muscles. nor did it enhance it. It's kinda odd seeing as the BTS played around with padding that really came through.

24. Jaxon

Jaxon Well-Known Member

In practical terms wouldn't it be slightly padded to keep him warm if that was the regular clothes on Krypton intended for him to wear

25. not_a_victim

not_a_victim Well-Known Member

What in the world are you talking about?

The muscles of the SHOULDERS are the DELTS (deltoids).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.