Its official: W.B. waited too long

They're all gone.

All the solid summer 2009 release dates are taken because W.B. didn't announce it. They have their date (May 15th) and its been open, but now today it aint. ANGELS and DEMONS-sequel to the huge 750 million worldwide hit THE DA VINCI CODE has taken it:

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.c...io-movies-to-2009-because-of-script-problems/

No doubt had W.B. gotten off their ass and claimed it earlier, A&D wouldnt of taken it. But now May is completely out of the question, they cannot go anywhere near July 4th; and early June and July are filled up.

I hope they have a plan or can intimidate another film to move, because now their really screwed. Theres nowhere to put this in the summer and unless they put it in the winter (which would be a bold idea), theres no where for the film.

Its Superman Returns 2.0; bad release dates could potentially destroy this films box office the way it did SR, w.b. get your head outta your ass for real! :cmad: :cmad:

I can just imagine W.B. putting this on July 4th thinking it Transformers 2 the way they thoguth Superman coould take Pirates 2 :rolleyes:

Why can't they just open the same day as A&D?

If JL starts filming and finished post-production on schedule, they could get a head start and release JL in April 2009, although that would really be pushing it.

I read that Warners is planning to release JL in June 2009 -- there is a lot of competition in the form of TF-2, so maybe the WB could pit it against the likes of The Fast and the Furious 4 on June 5, or June 19 against lesser competition Year One. Pixar's Up could prove to be some serious competition.

Wouldn't surprise me if Angels and Demons makes as much as Da Vinci Code, it also wouldn't even surprise me if it were to beat JL coz it'll once again piss the church off because they'll somehow interpret the story as being an attack on them, they'll tell people not to watch, people will do the exact opposite because it pisses the church off and it will make $$$.

Controversy = publicity.

Disagree. I think Angels and Demons is going to tank on opening weekend and only start to gross if it's actually good movie and word of mouth saves it. The Da Vinci Code drew a lot of people to the theater because of the controversy on the news and every night some news or cable channel would have some special about the validity of the premise. Plus it had Tom Hanks and Ron Howard's names attached to it. Once people actually saw it, it turned out to boring and bleh. The general public isn't going to fall for it the second time around, not too mention Angels and Demons is even poorer example Dan Brown's writing ability that only sold because of the Da Vinci Code.

I really think JLA would be better suited to be a holiday release so long as it isn't conflicting with a Harry Potter since WB decides release those movies at any given time.

Disagree. I think Angels and Demons is going to tank on opening weekend and only start to gross if it's actually good movie and word of mouth saves it. The Da Vinci Code drew a lot of people to the theater because of the controversy on the news and every night some news or cable channel would have some special about the validity of the premise. Plus it had Tom Hanks and Ron Howard's names attached to it. Once people actually saw it, it turned out to boring and bleh. The general public isn't going to fall for it the second time around, not too mention Angels and Demons is even poorer example Dan Brown's writing ability that only sold because of the Da Vinci Code.

I really think JLA would be better suited to be a holiday release so long as it isn't conflicting with a Harry Potter since WB decides release those movies at any given time.

Like I said controversy = publicity. I can see Angels and Demons pissing off the church as much as the Da Vinci Code, I can see the church telling people not to see it, that will create headlines, effectively giving tones of free publicity for the film and people will see it to see what all the fuss is about. As for whether its a poor example of Browns writing, that another debate for another day, however, Angels and Demon is a more film friendly story than what Da Vinci Code was, so given that and the controversy it could cause (unless the church actually shuts up for once), it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it's as successful as its predecessor.

But it doesn't even matter now cause Angels and Demons has had its release date moved.

Like I said controversy = publicity. I can see Angels and Demons pissing off the church as much as the Da Vinci Code, I can see the church telling people not to see it, that will create headlines, effectively giving tones of free publicity for the film and people will see it to see what all the fuss is about. As for whether its a poor example of Browns writing, that another debate for another day, however, Angels and Demon is a more film friendly story than what Da Vinci Code was, so given that and the controversy it could cause (unless the church actually shuts up for once), it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it's as successful as its predecessor.

But it doesn't even matter now cause Angels and Demons has had its release date moved.

Here's the thing, Da Vinci Code stirred up all that controversy when it came out, but A&D came out in 2000 and it didn't stir up crap. So already it doesn't have the controversy-creating power of the Da Vinci Code.

Here's the thing, Da Vinci Code stirred up all that controversy when it came out, but A&D came out in 2000 and it didn't stir up crap. So already it doesn't have the controversy-creating power of the Da Vinci Code.
Yes, but it has the base of the public of the first movie. Even if it makes half the money of The DaVinci Code will still be a huge success. The elements are the same: European setting, a mystery involving historical and artistic stuff, a nice lady and Tom Hanks.
Btw, they told me the movie is written as a sequel (thought the book was written before DVC) and they're still working on location scouting and casting here in Italy, in spite of the articles that reported the movie will be postponed because of the strike.

The last thing JLA needs to worry about is Angels and Demons no amtter what its release date is...

A Question... is Narnia 3 still scheduled for May?

And JLA needs to mark something before Marvel drops another bomb into a July slot... C.A is a long shot... but a Nicky Fury movie or something somewhat significant could put a dent into JLA.

If there is anything we have learned... you keep it away from Pixar at all costs.

The last thing JLA needs to worry about is Angels and Demons no amtter what its release date is...

And JLA needs to mark something before Marvel drops another bomb into a July slot... C.A is a long shot... but a Nicky Fury movie or something somewhat significant could put a dent into JLA.

If there is anything we have learned... you keep it away from Pixar at all costs.

Taking on Pixar would be suicide.

I honestly doubt this movie will happen anytime soon.

Yes, but it has the base of the public of the first movie. Even if it makes half the money of The DaVinci Code will still be a huge success. The elements are the same: European setting, a mystery involving historical and artistic stuff, a nice lady and Tom Hanks.
Btw, they told me the movie is written as a sequel (thought the book was written before DVC) and they're still working on location scouting and casting here in Italy, in spite of the articles that reported the movie will be postponed because of the strike.

Yeah, but the controversy and excitement just isn't there like it was for DVC. It's a tired, played out controversy and simply can't be expected to produce as big a buzz.

A Nick Fury movie?
You must be joking... A movie on an obscure character (to the main public) against the never before seen in live action team-up of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman?
Avatar, "Angels and demons", Transformers 2, maybe a Captain America or Thor movie may be strong competitors to JLA, not Nick Fury.
And the third Narnia will be released in 2010.

Yeah, but the controversy and excitement just isn't there like it was for DVC. It's a tired, played out controversy and simply can't be expected to produce as big a buzz.

Not to mention the movie was a boring piece of crap. :oldrazz:

At this point the controversy isn't needed for the financial success. And for the record, the Vatican wasn't happy about the sequel being shot in Rome. The producers had to involve some high up in the FreeMasonry to have a "permission" to go ahead with the sequel.

It was a dull film, not as bad as some of the critics said, some of the reviews were really harsh, but still dull, Hanks seemed bored and Audrey Tatou just looked confused the whole time, the only time it got remotely interesting was when Ian McKellen appeared on screen. Such a waste of a good cast it was. And what the hell was with Tom Hanks' hair? :whatever:

Well... Since JLA first appeared in 1960, they should release the movie in 2010 for the 50th anniversary.

Well... Since JLA first appeared in 1960, they should release the movie in 2010 for the 50th anniversary.

Their 50th would be around February or March of that year. If they release it as a tentpole film in summer of 2009, the DVD release would be just about in time for the 50th anniversary. Also you wouldn't upstage the comic titles, which may already be planing something for then. That's something else to consider.

Maybe the other studios know, its just the WB didn't say anything to the public yet....

Good for Justice League that they moved the Avatar release to December. That was the biggest competitor.
And in May they have a movie by the once appointed director for a Flash flick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"