Guardians of the Galaxy James gunn fired!!! - Part 2

Your argument originally was what you do in your off time should not be tied back to your work. You should not be fired for things you do in your free time. You are free to be racist, sexist, or bigoted in the United States. Its a part of freedom of speech in the US. You can even be a Nazi, which can be considered a political affiliation. But people get fired for such stuff all the time. Why? Because companies don't want to be branded as such. They don't want to be the Nazi sympathizers or the company who employs the guy who sent around a memo about how women are inferior and here is the "scientific" prove. This is exactly why James Gunn got fired for joking about raping children. Because Disney doesn't want to be the place that employs the guy who thinks pedophile is funny to make family films.

And this is exactly why I think it is a very bad argument to suggest one cannot be fired for what they do while off the clock. Because while plenty of things are protected in that regard and should be, rightly, not everything is.

Also I don't think it is a different conversation, but few people just say they are racist without justification, or that they are in fact racist or bigoted at all. A big part of Trump's bigotry comes with his policies. And people support his racist and sexist policies, while claiming to be none of those things.

But again I ask, where is the line? Are we truly a free society if you're basically signing over your soul to a corporate enterprise for scraps? I'm not comfortable with the idea that a company essentially runs your life.

There would have been more publicity about it that's for certain. Fox, moms across america etc... would have been bringing it up trying to get publicity for their own political agendas. There might not be that many cyber nazi's but there are plenty of people that get offended over the slightest thing. Look at cyberpunk 2077 and their tweet. I don't even know why it was offensive yet it has caused a massive argument with a number calling for a boycott.
Yeah, but really, so what? Does anyone seriously think that people would stop going to Disney films because of something James Gunn tweeted years ago?

There would have been more publicity about it that's for certain. Fox, moms across america etc... would have been bringing it up trying to get publicity for their own political agendas. There might not be that many cyber nazi's but there are plenty of people that get offended over the slightest thing. Look at cyberpunk 2077 and their tweet. I don't even know why it was offensive yet it has caused a massive argument with a number calling for a boycott.

That just doesn't mean much. Those people make a living off politicizing stuff. Doesn't mean the average person who pays to watch these movies would care.

Edit: there's also nothing to that cyberpunk tweet from what I read. Saying "a number" of people called for a boycott, you be talking about ten people, lol.

That just doesn't mean much. Those people make a living off politicizing stuff. Doesn't mean the average person who pays to watch these movies would care.

Edit: there's also nothing to that cyberpunk tweet from what I read. Saying "a number" of people called for a boycott, you be talking about ten people, lol.

It was an example of people getting pissed off about little.
This would have been a hell of a lot bigger making newspapers and television. You don't think after all his attacks on trump that fox wouldn't have banged the drum to get him fired?

Yeah, but really, so what? Does anyone seriously think that people would stop going to Disney films because of something James Gunn tweeted years ago?

Some probably would or at least boycott guardians 3.

Honestly, I don't think the number of people boycotting the movie would have been high ultimately.

Honestly, I don't think the number of people boycotting the movie would have been high ultimately.

It's what disney thinks that matters. They didn't want the negative attention and wanted to protect their brand. So they let him go.

Also this would have become a political debate. Why was rosanne sacked and gunn not so? Disney does not want to be seen as taking political sides.

So is Dave Bautista essentially begging for Disney to fire him? He is saying that he doesn't want to work for Disney anymore, but with a contract still in place, does he really get to make that decision?

So is Dave Bautista essentially begging for Disney to fire him? He is saying that he doesn't want to work for Disney anymore, but with a contract still in place, does he really get to make that decision?

Contracts don't really mean anything at the end of the day.

Im pretty confident bautista wont be able to just walk away from disney while under contract. Also is disney someone you really want to fight in a legal battle?

Why would Disney even want to go to court with Bautista? They'd sooner cut him loose, write out the character, or even recast him.

Bob Iger Talks Disney's Streaming Service, 'Roseanne,' James Gunn and a Coming 'Star Wars' "Slowdown"

How involved do you get in decisions to cancel Roseanne at ABC or fire James Gunn at Marvel?

I would say there is a blend of my helping to make the decision to my supporting the decisions that have been made. Roseanne was completely unanimous. We discussed how it would be communicated and when because there were a number of entities that had to be properly filled in, but the decision was completely unanimous. The James Gunn decision was brought to me as a unanimous decision of a variety of executives at the studio and I supported it.

There was backlash. You still support it?

I haven't second-guessed their decision.

Goddamn. :funny:

Well there you go lol. Still disagree with it.

What does that even mean? "...A unanimous decision of a variety of executives at the studio..."

If it's not all the executives, then it's not unanimous.

Where is this variety of executives? And do they come in a pack? Do they work for Variety?

Last edited:
Plot

Horn for sure. Feige? That's vague as hell, and you know it!
Well, how many executives are at Marvel Studios? How many over Feige? Horn is the only person above Feige, and that is because all the executives of the Disney film divisions report to him.

Well, how many executives are at Marvel Studios? How many over Feige? Horn is the only person above Feige, and that is because all the executives of the Disney film divisions report to him.
He didn't mention Marvel Studios though. That's why it's vague... he said a variety so maybe Kathleen, whoever is in charge of Pixar now... otherwise, he cast a huge net over this to make it vague. But in looking at his statement with Rosanne... he was quick to say it was unanimous. That's a more direct tone.

He didn't mention Marvel Studios though. That's why it's vague... he said a variety so maybe Kathleen, whoever is in charge of Pixar now... otherwise, he cast a huge net over this to make it vague. But in looking at his statement with Rosanne... he was quick to say it was unanimous. That's a more direct tone.
He said the studio. If it was Walt Disney Studios and not Marvel Studios, that would include WDP, Pixar, WDAS, Lucasfilms, their International division and Disneynature. Horn runs WDP. Feige don't want that shade, but he stayed on vacation when Gunn came to talk to the higher ups. He signed off, but no one wants to say it because of the fanboy reaction. :funny:

He said the studio. If it was Walt Disney Studios and not Marvel Studios, that would include WDP, Pixar, WDAS, Lucasfilms, their International division and Disneynature. Horn runs WDP. Feige don't want that shade, but he stayed on vacation when Gunn came to talk to the higher ups. He signed off, but no one wants to say it because of the fanboy reaction. :funny:
True.

I mean... How far Feige went to bat for Gunn during that time remains to be heard. But I can at least take a guess that since Feige was the one that plucked him from his time at Relativity Media. I believe in the end, he had no choice regardless.

Well played, WB.

Congrates to James Gunn! And good for DC and WB!

I hope Skwad 2 is a massive success if only for Iger, Horn and Feige to receive some comeuppance regarding their truly shameful behavior in firing the director who brought them two wildly successful films, was beloved by his cast his crew, and performed his duties without a whiff of inappropriate behavior.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"