James Wan WILL direct Aquaman

Wan has a billion grosser under his belt. He deserves total control over Aquaman, considering he has a better track record than this film series.

Also gave WB the very successful Conjuring franchise and proved he could handle a big budget FF movie. He's the only billion dollar grossing director in the DCEU.

Well, given Warner Bros' work, here's hoping that Wan is allowed to continue crafting his vision with Johns on Aquaman with little studio interference.

If nothing else, I hope Johns' characterization of Aquaman shines through.

I don't think Wan is going to let WB control his movie. Here's what he says in a new interview with Collider: http://collider.com/aquaman-movie-j...utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_medium=social

“I’m not a director for hire. I’ve really only done one director for hire job, and that was Fast and Furious 7. If I don’t have a hand in creating it, then I’m not interested. I’ve been very fortunate, as a filmmaker, that a lot of things that I have created have gone on to be successful, and I take a lot of pride in that. They are giving me a lot of leeway to create and craft my story, and it’s been a blast working with Geoff Johns to craft the story and the world, and seeing how it all ties back into what Zack [Snyder] is doing, as well.”

http://www.etonline.com/movies/200838_director_james_wan_promises_swashbuckling_action_aquaman_standalone_film/

After years of development, Aquaman is finally hitting the big screen and director James Wan says he's gearing up to give the world something "super cool."

ET's Ashley Crossan caught up with Wan at the Australians in Film Awards Gala at NeueHouse in Hollywood on Wednesday, where the celebrated Furious 7 director was honored with the Fox Studios Australia International Award and gave fans a little tease at what tone his Aquaman movie is going have.

"I kind of don't want to give too much away but know this: The spirit that I'm going for is like a classic sort of swashbuckling action adventure, sort of high seas adventure story," Wan shared. "It's ultimately a quest story in the spirit of Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Romancing the Stone."

He also said...

"I think Amber and Jason Momoa, in their moments in Justice League, [are] going to give the rest of the world a flavor of what their own standalone movie could be," Wan explained. "And that is just scratching the surface of what I plan to do."

http://batman-news.com/2016/10/20/aquaman-director-james-wan-position-power/

We had heard that Aquaman was going to shoot in Australia, and last night The Daily Telegraph caught up with Aquaman director James Wan last night at the Australians in Film Awards in West Hollywood where he basically confirmed it.

“I’ve been wanting to bring a movie to Australia for a long time now, and it’s kind of hard because you don’t really dictate where you shoot your films,” Wan admitted. “But now, I’m in a position of power where I can say ‘If you guys want me to do this movie, this is how I’m going to do it’. It means I can make the film I want to make.”

Wan talks about Arthur and Mera's dynamic in the movie. So excited!

https://www.bustle.com/articles/191163-amber-heard-jason-momoa-have-crazy-chemistry-in-aquaman-according-to-director-james-wan

Hopeless romantics just might have themselves a new Noah and Allie with Jason Momoa and Amber Heard's Aquaman and Mera in the upcoming film Aquaman. Surprising? Maybe. But that's exactly what director James Wan (Furious 7, Saw) wants. Wan is bringing the DC Comics story to life and is ready to make audiences across the globe fall in love with Momoa and Heard, all while having his fun with the characters in the process. While most epic comic-to-big-screen tales are all about the action, Wan seeks to keep fans on their toes and give them a love story for the books in addition to all of the butt-kicking on the high seas. He tells Entertainment Tonight that audiences will get a "flavor" of Heard and Momoa's on-screen dynamic in 2017's Justice League. But after getting more detail from him at the Australians in Film Awards, I know fans have lots to look forward to in addition to (hopefully) two-plus hours of shirtless Momoa.

Wan says the film is like a hybrid of Raiders of the Lost Ark and 1984's Romancing the Stone. "I really want to get the classic action-adventure-romance aspect through that, and I think that’s kind of fun," he says. And by fun, he means playing up the hate-turned-love relationship between Aquaman and Mera, the queen of Atlantis.

"It starts off initially with them not quite clicking with each other," says Wan. "But then as the story progresses as they learn to try and work together, they get closer and closer. I think those stories are always such a great place for a filmmaker like myself to have fun with my actors." Their chemistry is going to be epic. I know it. Because their emotions are not to be messed with, and neither are they.

"I think that dynamic will be really interesting between the two. Amber’s character is super strong, she’s very powerful as well. You don’t wanna mess with her," Wan says. She'll definitely hold her own next to Aquaman, but watching love prevail between these two characters will be pretty amazing. "I think Amber will bring that sense of strength, but at the same time, we also want someone who has a sort of feminine quality to her as well. She’s a bit of a contrast to Momoa, who’s more of a muscular machine almost," says Wan. BRB, I'm sweating.

Saying all the right things.

So him and Mera not together in JL? I'm really looking forward to the movie though.

I feel like they're already together in JL and Aquaman is going to be an origin movie to explain everything.

This is starting to sound like it's going to be one of my all time favorite movies.

I think this will be the movie that's going to surprise a lot of people. I'm already anticipating this and The Batman to be the best in the DCEU.

I think this will be the movie that's going to surprise a lot of people. I'm already anticipating this and The Batman to be the best in the DCEU.

I agree that Aquaman at least has a great chance to be a really good movie. While you don't want it to be a horror film, the sea can be a scary place. It's like when a movie can add added drama just because it's in extreme cold.
The Abyss was a movie with really good effects I thought. While Jason Mamoa is no Ed Harris, I have high hopes for Aquaman.

If I were a creator/writer/director in the DCEU, Aquaman and Green Lantern Corps would be the two I would find the most intimidating to try and create a high quality big budget film. Especially Aquaman, trying to get the story, the visuals, the action in a way that it is fun, exciting, and a huge spectacle and people take the story seriously. I hope they have their best creative minds working on it. I don't want Aquaman to just be a mindless, forgettable CGI action fest, with some cool visuals, but no substance or thought put into the plot and characters. I thought the Thor films were just okay, and I've got a feeling I'll probably wind up feeling the same about Aquaman, but I hope Wan and Mamoa prove me wrong.

Thinking about it, a director with Horror experience may be a good idea, the imagery is going to be really important in this film to convey a sense of excitement, tension, mystery, and wonder to the audience. As was stated in an above post, the sea can be a scary place, they should take advantage of that sense of the unknown. Aquaman has the potential to be a really one of a kind film experience that stands apart from the other superhero films. They just need the right story. I can't wait to see what Snyder does with the character, to give us a taste of what a solo film could be like. Hopefully, JL has "the right story" so people might lay off Snyder a little, and appreciate how talented he is, visually speaking, in the CBM genre

Last edited:
Just wanted to make a couple points.
Second of all, Justin Lin was the director who turned Fast & Furious into a huge money making franchise, not James Wan. Justin Lin just released a Star Trek movie last year, and it was the lowest grossing film of the rebooted franchise ever. If it's about Fast & Furious making him popular, shouldn't that data have proved that everyone should've seen Star Trek Beyond, which was a fairly well received and decently reviewed film?
I could certainly see Justin Lin pushing Furious 7 to similar heights (given factors like Walker's death and the soundtrack played into the hype), but there was a certain sense of scale via cinematography and direction of action that put Wan on the map. You can likely expect a cross audience of his horror fans (most of all) and fans of F&F, especially if he's able to craft a unique underwater look.

Lin, on the other hand, came into a franchise of diminishing domestic value and F&F is about the only notable brand to his name.

Just wanted to make a couple points.

I could certainly see Justin Lin pushing Furious 7 to similar heights (given factors like Walker's death and the soundtrack played into the hype), but there was a certain sense of scale via cinematography and direction of action that put Wan on the map. You can likely expect a cross audience of his horror fans (most of all) and fans of F&F, especially if he's able to craft a unique underwater look.

Lin, on the other hand, came into a franchise of diminishing domestic value and F&F is about the only notable brand to his name.

I got confused for a second. Did you grab my quote from another section in the Batman forums?

I think Wan did a good job on Furious 7. But just in terms of pure direction, I prefer the efforts of Justin Lin, who was the one who raised the bar in terms of the scale and scope of the franchise's action scenes. Specifically in the fifth film with the bank vault chase, and also the fight scene between The Rock and Vin Diesel.

I think Wan has done well because he's proven he can branch out and do other genres besides horror. But to be honest, I was never a fan of the original saw. Though I did like The Conjuring films he did, at least the first one was pretty effective and scary without tons of violence and gore. I think he can do a decent job with Aquaman now, provided the script is solid. But I think it's premature to say Aquaman will be relying on his popularity as a director. Sure, Wan is probably a pretty known director now, and I'm sure he has fans in horror circles, but that doesn't mean he's a brand name director on the level of Spielberg, Cameron, or Nolan.

I got confused for a second. Did you grab my quote from another section in the Batman forums?

I think Wan did a good job on Furious 7. But just in terms of pure direction, I prefer the efforts of Justin Lin, who was the one who raised the bar in terms of the scale and scope of the franchise's action scenes. Specifically in the fifth film with the bank vault chase, and also the fight scene between The Rock and Vin Diesel.

I think Wan has done well because he's proven he can branch out and do other genres besides horror. But to be honest, I was never a fan of the original saw. Though I did like The Conjuring films he did, at least the first one was pretty effective and scary without tons of violence and gore. I think he can do a decent job with Aquaman now, provided the script is solid. But I think it's premature to say Aquaman will be relying on his popularity as a director. Sure, Wan is probably a pretty known director now, and I'm sure he has fans in horror circles, but that doesn't mean he's a brand name director on the level of Spielberg, Cameron, or Nolan.
Yeah, I didn't want to detract the other thread.
Also, I agree with everything said here...so, yeah. Thought there'd be more to discuss.:oldrazz:

Right on, thanks :D

I will endeavor to try and be more positive, evenhanded and fairminded in the future.

16142425_579103752285574_1641996194047428880_n.jpg

I feel like now we ought to start a clock counting down to Wan's surprise departure because he'd feel more comfortable directing Saw VIII instead.

I feel like now we ought to start a clock counting down to Wan's surprise departure because he'd feel more comfortable directing Saw VIII instead.

That would probably piss off Jason Mamoa...would you want to piss off Jason Mamoa?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"