James Wan WILL direct Aquaman

Discussion in 'Aquaman' started by Maze, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Lord All Mighty

Wan has a billion grosser under his belt. He deserves total control over Aquaman, considering he has a better track record than this film series.

2. ManWithNoName18 Registered

Also gave WB the very successful Conjuring franchise and proved he could handle a big budget FF movie. He's the only billion dollar grossing director in the DCEU.

3. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

Agreed.

4. Boy Scout Registered

If nothing else, I hope Johns' characterization of Aquaman shines through.

5. nyyarod yippee ki-yay mf!

I don't think Wan is going to let WB control his movie. Here's what he says in a new interview with Collider: http://collider.com/aquaman-movie-j...utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_medium=social

6. Blitzkrieg Registered

http://www.etonline.com/movies/200838_director_james_wan_promises_swashbuckling_action_aquaman_standalone_film/

He also said...

7. Blitzkrieg Registered

http://batman-news.com/2016/10/20/aquaman-director-james-wan-position-power/

8. nyyarod yippee ki-yay mf!

Wan talks about Arthur and Mera's dynamic in the movie. So excited!

https://www.bustle.com/articles/191163-amber-heard-jason-momoa-have-crazy-chemistry-in-aquaman-according-to-director-james-wan

9. Boom I got nothin'

Saying all the right things.

10. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

Love hearing him talk about the movie.

11. Slick Yup

So him and Mera not together in JL? I'm really looking forward to the movie though.

12. nyyarod yippee ki-yay mf!

I feel like they're already together in JL and Aquaman is going to be an origin movie to explain everything.

13. Mindreaper21 It's Harvest Time

This is starting to sound like it's going to be one of my all time favorite movies.

14. nyyarod yippee ki-yay mf!

I think this will be the movie that's going to surprise a lot of people. I'm already anticipating this and The Batman to be the best in the DCEU.

15. Luke234 Registered

I agree that Aquaman at least has a great chance to be a really good movie. While you don't want it to be a horror film, the sea can be a scary place. It's like when a movie can add added drama just because it's in extreme cold.
    The Abyss was a movie with really good effects I thought. While Jason Mamoa is no Ed Harris, I have high hopes for Aquaman.

16. wnjcwjkk Registered

If I were a creator/writer/director in the DCEU, Aquaman and Green Lantern Corps would be the two I would find the most intimidating to try and create a high quality big budget film. Especially Aquaman, trying to get the story, the visuals, the action in a way that it is fun, exciting, and a huge spectacle and people take the story seriously. I hope they have their best creative minds working on it. I don't want Aquaman to just be a mindless, forgettable CGI action fest, with some cool visuals, but no substance or thought put into the plot and characters. I thought the Thor films were just okay, and I've got a feeling I'll probably wind up feeling the same about Aquaman, but I hope Wan and Mamoa prove me wrong.

Thinking about it, a director with Horror experience may be a good idea, the imagery is going to be really important in this film to convey a sense of excitement, tension, mystery, and wonder to the audience. As was stated in an above post, the sea can be a scary place, they should take advantage of that sense of the unknown. Aquaman has the potential to be a really one of a kind film experience that stands apart from the other superhero films. They just need the right story. I can't wait to see what Snyder does with the character, to give us a taste of what a solo film could be like. Hopefully, JL has "the right story" so people might lay off Snyder a little, and appreciate how talented he is, visually speaking, in the CBM genre

#216 wnjcwjkk, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  17. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

Just wanted to make a couple points.
    I could certainly see Justin Lin pushing Furious 7 to similar heights (given factors like Walker's death and the soundtrack played into the hype), but there was a certain sense of scale via cinematography and direction of action that put Wan on the map. You can likely expect a cross audience of his horror fans (most of all) and fans of F&F, especially if he's able to craft a unique underwater look.

Lin, on the other hand, came into a franchise of diminishing domestic value and F&F is about the only notable brand to his name.

18. TheVileOne Registered

I got confused for a second. Did you grab my quote from another section in the Batman forums?

I think Wan did a good job on Furious 7. But just in terms of pure direction, I prefer the efforts of Justin Lin, who was the one who raised the bar in terms of the scale and scope of the franchise's action scenes. Specifically in the fifth film with the bank vault chase, and also the fight scene between The Rock and Vin Diesel.

I think Wan has done well because he's proven he can branch out and do other genres besides horror. But to be honest, I was never a fan of the original saw. Though I did like The Conjuring films he did, at least the first one was pretty effective and scary without tons of violence and gore. I think he can do a decent job with Aquaman now, provided the script is solid. But I think it's premature to say Aquaman will be relying on his popularity as a director. Sure, Wan is probably a pretty known director now, and I'm sure he has fans in horror circles, but that doesn't mean he's a brand name director on the level of Spielberg, Cameron, or Nolan.

19. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

Yeah, I didn't want to detract the other thread.
    Also, I agree with everything said here...so, yeah. Thought there'd be more to discuss.:oldrazz:

20. TheVileOne Registered

Right on, thanks :D

I will endeavor to try and be more positive, evenhanded and fairminded in the future.

21. paulogonza Registered

22. Blitzkrieg Registered

23. Blitzkrieg Registered

24. NotNickFury Registered

I feel like now we ought to start a clock counting down to Wan's surprise departure because he'd feel more comfortable directing Saw VIII instead.

25. The Guard Registered

That would probably piss off Jason Mamoa...would you want to piss off Jason Mamoa?