Days of Future Past Jennifer Lawrence/Mystique: Oscar Winner Edition - Part 2

Funny you mention this because actually FIRST CLASS got the look of the scales wrong. I went back and watched the trilogy and the scales were always dark blue/almost black. In FIRST CLASS, that was not the case. The scales were the same color as her skin. No differentiation. In DAYS, Singer went back to the darker blue scales.
Sorry, ou misunderstand. by "first film" I meant X-men (2001).
Yeah, the scales were wrong in that film too, but I would say closer to the previous films.

This one looked more like simple blue paint, with a few scales here or there.
I personally prefer the darker, creepier Mystique. The slippery assassin.
Lawrence plays her as a young less confident girl, trying to figure things out. The point of the character is that she hasn't graduated into being the awesome Mystique of the later films, and for that, she simply is not what she can not be.

I didn't see any talent with FC. With this movie she did much better and I'm happy about that, but Rebecca did a lot more with a lot less. Had she been younger, she could have played FC and DOFP's Mystique just as well.

I highly disagree. Ever since Winter's Bone, I've seen nothing but talent from Lawrence. She may not be at her best in the X-Men movies, but she is still very good in them.

And I have seen Romjin in enough else to respect that she is an actual actress and not only a model. However, she has never developed characters with feral empathy or depth, which is why she is doing television movies these days and Lawrence is an Oscar winner. Both characters play to each actress' strength. I find it hard to argue from a pure performance stand point that Lawrence has more of them.

I don't see Oscar winning actresses as better than any other actress. Halle Berry won an Oscar and she's horrible in most of the movies she's done.

I don't think Jennifer Lawrence is a bad actress, but I don't think she's a great Mystique. She's okay. I prefer Rebecca's Mystique and I say with no hesitation that had she been given the character arc that Jennifer got, she would have done a fantastic job.

Fact: Jennifer Lawrence has ONLY been in two negative critically reviewed movies, and even those ones she is still good and showed DEEP ranges... House at the End of the Street and The Burning Plain.

In these movies, Jennifer Lawrence were NOT the problem, period.

If you don't like Jennifer, that's fine (Personality difference I guess?), but to go against this fact, that's on YOU for ignoring the truth!

Last edited:
I don't get the disrespect Lawrence gets here.No offence to Romjin,but she basically played a silent henchwoman.Lawrence is actually playing her as a complex character that's grown over the past two films.I don't see what's not to like about her performance.She's killing it as Mystique.No question about it.

Fact: Jennifer Lawrence has ONLY been in two negative critically reviewed movies, and even those ones she is still good and showed DEEP ranges... House at the End of the Street and The Burning Plain.

In these movies, Jennifer Lawrence were NOT the problem, period.

If you don't like Jennifer, that's fine (Personality difference I guess?), but to go against this fact, that's on YOU for ignoring the truth!

What fact? What are you talking about? This is just your opinion and to chalk people's negative opinion of Jennifer Lawrence to personality differences is just crazy.

Some people don't like Jennifer Lawrence. Deal with it. You sound like someone who is obsessed. It's not healthy.

I don't get the disrespect Lawrence gets here.No offence to Romjin,but she basically played a silent henchwoman.Lawrence is actually playing her as a complex character that's grown over the past two films.I don't see what's not to like about her performance.She's killing it as Mystique.No question about it.

Rebecca played a silent henchwoman because that's the character in the OT. Mystique's character arc in FC and DOPF is totally different. I just don't think Jennifer Lawrence killed it. She was good, not great, in my opinion.

What fact?

It IS indeed a FACT!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/jeniffer_lawrence/

GVXDJXO.jpg

When she is ACTUALLY horrible in acting, and critics says so too, I am still obsessed with her, then at that time it is when it's truly not healthy.

Otherwise, I will have NO shame, NO regret, being obsessed with a truly talented, very funny, Awesome and beautiful human being like Jennifer Lawrence!

Last edited:
I don't think Jennifer Lawrence is a bad actress, but I don't think she's a great Mystique. She's okay. I prefer Rebecca's Mystique and I say with no hesitation that had she been given the character arc that Jennifer got, she would have done a fantastic job.

I feel the same. Lawrence is fine in the role, and I'm not sure who else would play Mystique, but I don't think she's great in it.

In FC she was just so young, despite supposedly being the same age as Charles. I'd have liked to see an actress who's 5-6 years older, but again I can't really think of anyone as I type this post.

What disrespect? I have seen maybe 1 post against her.

What fact? What are you talking about? This is just your opinion and to chalk people's negative opinion of Jennifer Lawrence to personality differences is just crazy.

Some people don't like Jennifer Lawrence. Deal with it. You sound like someone who is obsessed. It's not healthy.

It IS a FACT!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/jeniffer_lawrence/

When she is ACTUALLY horrible in acting, and critics says so too, I am still obsessed with her, then at that time it is when it's truly not healthy.

Both of you...agree to disagree and walk away from this discussion.

I don't see Oscar winning actresses as better than any other actress. Halle Berry won an Oscar and she's horrible in most of the movies she's done.

If you want me to say that Mystique is not Lawrence's best performance. It's not. She is much better in Winter's Bone, Silver Linings, and American Hustle. And Katniss Everdeen is also a much richer character, even if some fanboys might squirm at the thought.

With that said, she brings a level of immediate sympathy and charisma to Mystique as not an anti-hero, but as a confused, angry young woman. I realize that fans prefer the "silent badass ninja assassin," but that is not a character.

Another way to say this is: describe Lawrence's Mystique without mentioning her powers, what she does, or what she looks like. Now try the same exercise for Romjin's Mystique. The latter is much harder, because Romjin played a much slighter character who relied on Romjin's clear charisma and comfortability of the wry, eye-catching smile and her ability to walk around with extreme confidence in the nude.

She did that very well. But as someone who has seen Femme Fatale, The Punisher, and several other Romjin projects, no she could not play Lawrence's Mystique. At least as it is written, because it does not play to her strengths as an actress and requires a lot more versatility.

I really want see Jennifer to be in a Video Game and cartoon movie like Ellen Page, Patrick Stewart, Ian Mckellen, Michael Fassbender, James Mcavoy, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Nicholas Hoult all did.

Maybe together :D

I think they might try to renegotiate her contract prior to Apocalypse, so they can get her for a possible solo Mystique movie and others as well.

They may well try it but I dont think she's like Jackman or MaCavoy who are in love with the idea of playing the character like 7 or 8 times, I think she likes it and puts everything into it but she comes across as an actress who wouldn't tie herself to a franchise that much, plus its obvious from interviews she really isnt keen on the make-up process for Mystique.

She probably views comic-book rolls as something she can take or leave as she's probably inundated with job offers and wants more oscar bait rolls.

Thats just my view and I agree they may well throw money at her to try and get her to do more but that may not be enough to convince her after the next one, we shall see.

I really want see Jennifer to be in a Video Game and cartoon movie like Ellen Page, Patrick Stewart, Ian Mckellen, Michael Fassbender, James Mcavoy, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Nicholas Hoult all did.

Maybe together :D

What cartoon were they all in?

I meant they were all either in a cartoon or in a Video Games, not everyone was in cartoons.

Otherwise, I will have NO shame, NO regret, being obsessed with a truly talented, very funny, Awesome and beautiful human being like Jennifer Lawrence!

Obsession by it's very definition is unhealthy. I think she is a great actress too. I respect her a lot and enjoy her performances.

But being obsessed with anything, let alone some celebrity you've never met and never will meet (god willing) is really quite a dangerous thing.

Obsession by it's very definition is unhealthy. I think she is a great actress too. I respect her a lot and enjoy her performances.

But being obsessed with anything, let alone some celebrity you've never met and never will meet (god willing) is really quite a dangerous thing.
Well we kind of all are obsessed aren't we. Not in the way it controls our life but following a film from the beginning to end can be considered obsessive and basically everyone on here has done it with DoFP lol.

Not really.
I think so. The term obsession sounds bad but we all have obsessions. It doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Even referring to a celeb. Just because someone says they're obsessed doesn't make them a crazed stalker. I follow careers of many actors. Most from the X-Men movies. I collect their magazines, watch and buy their movies etc I have no interest in stalking them or even knowing them but I follow their careers. So I would call myself an obsessed fan but it doesn't mean I'm crazy and want to know them and stalk them etc.

Jennifer was great in dofp, all the worries I had with her as mystique are gone.

Many people talk about returning Mystique's computer generated voice. But it will never happen because of JLaw.

Many people talk about returning Mystique's computer generated voice. But it will never happen because of JLaw.

What makes you think its because of her? An ego thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"