Days of Future Past Jennifer Lawrence/Mystique: Oscar Winner Edition - Part 2

And the voice thing really isn't needed,IMO.Kinda like Storm's disappearing accent.I don't miss it.

I think it'd be more of a studio thing than Jennifer objecting to it.

:up:yeah. They would probably want to make her more recognizable. Even in DOFP her make up was less "intense" :woot: and we see JLaw clearly under it.

In OT trilogy make up was more heavy. It was hard to recognize Rebecca Romijn

I think Jen is a great actress in general. And I thought she did better here than in FC, but I still don't think she is as great as she could be. I just don't get that passion and intensity from her that the character as it is written should have. I'm not against Mystique's role or direction in this movie, still her scenes are the only ones that drag a little for me. I think that a little bit more fire in both her dialogue and Jen's performance would have made her more compelling for me.

I think it'd be more of a studio thing than Jennifer objecting to it.

I yeah more likely that I suppose, Jlaw has a lot more scenes out of the blue makeup as her normal self than Rebecca ever did, if thats because its a bigger part now might have something to do with it but still.

Watching the film again, I say the biggest improvement is the blue paint, it looks so much better compare to FC. But her arms, in the scene where he just attacked the Vietnamese general and she was reading the invitation, I really noticed that she was wearing a suit.

Do you think they could have hinted at a Mystique & Azazel relationship in DOFP maybe before he died and got experimented on or do you think it would have been too much?

I think they had the perfect opportunity to connect Azazel & Mystique to Nightcrawler. I think it would have fit right into her revenge motives EVEN more since she looked at the photos of the mutants and Azazel experimented on in Trask's office. There's a scene in the airport where she's talking to Magneto and she starts to talk about how Trask murdered someone. She was really broken up about it, but he cut her off. Also, in the scene when she is in the hospital and the nurse asks her do you think she has a family, obviously that means Charles, but it could have also meant Nightcrawler.

It could have built a nice little mystery leading into the next film with questions like did she have a baby, did she have a relationship with Azazel and it's believable because DOFP takes place 10 years after FC and A LOT can happen in 10 years. Bryan Singer said he would like to see a young Nightcrawler in Apocalypse, could we see that relationship acknowledged on screen? Mystique could have abandoned him in Germany like she did in the comic.

We all know that the continuity is messed up and we have to go along with it whether we like or not and I know in X2 Mystique & Nightcrawler had a little scene together, but the filmmakers weren't going for that relationship. But now they have 'reset' the timeline, they could explore their relationship in the new timeline.

Last edited:
Do you think they could have hinted at a Mystique & Azazel relationship in DOFP maybe before he died and got experimented on or do you think it would have been too much?

I think they had the perfect opportunity to connect Azazel & Mystique to Nightcrawler. I think it would have fit right into her revenge motives EVEN more since she looked at the photos of the mutants and Azazel experimented on in Trask's office. There's a scene in the airport where she's talking to Magneto and she starts to talk about how Trask murdered someone. She was really broken up about it, but he cut her off. Also, in the scene when she is in the hospital and the nurse asks her do you think she has a family, obviously that means Charles, but it could have also meant Nightcrawler.

It could have built a nice little mystery leading into the next film with questions like did she have a baby, did she have a relationship with Azazel and it's believable because DOFP takes place 10 years after FC and A LOT can happen in 10 years. Bryan Singer said he would like to see a young Nightcrawler in Apocalypse, could we see that relationship acknowledged on screen? Mystique could have abandoned him in Germany like she did in the comic.

We all know that the continuity is messed up and we have to go along with it whether we like or not and I know in X2 Mystique & Nightcrawler had a little scene together, but the filmmakers weren't going for that relationship. But now they have 'reset' the timeline, they could explore their relationship in the new timeline.
I don't see why they wouldn't go there in the sequel.Lots of potential for a great story for Raven,and supposedly Kurt will be in the next film,so here's hoping....

Loved Mystique in this movie. Quick question though, how did they originally get her DNA that led to the bleak future and future sentinels? Did they capture and experiment on/kill her? Because then how would she be walking around in the X-Men trilogy?

Stryker shot her with the taser and she was caught and then they got some samples from her, like her DNA.

In my opinion, they didn't kill her because her DNA was so important to their research and then she probably escaped before X1 started, just like Magneto.

In my opinion, they didn't kill her because her DNA was so important to their research and then she probably escaped before X1 started, just like Magneto.
Agreed. This is what would have happened. Trask was firm about keeping her alive when she's discovered amongst them in the White House bunker. This philosophy would have remained in the other timeline where he was killed.

thought she did a good job in the movie though she is homely compared to the sexy undertones of the original Mystique and it detracts from the character's effect. Jennifer is the girl next door with spunk but i want the character to have a maneater vibe

Last edited:
eDbUVkaVf60.jpg

I though Lawrence did alright in the role. She wasn't fantastic, but she wasn't terrible or anything either.

I definitely think she needs a new hairstyle, though. It's ugly as **** and always has been.

Watching the film again, I say the biggest improvement is the blue paint, it looks so much better compare to FC. But her arms, in the scene where he just attacked the Vietnamese general and she was reading the invitation, I really noticed that she was wearing a suit.
What?I thought It looks awful in DOFP. It looked better in FC because it wasnt straight up cobalt blue and wasnt so shiny on her face. They at least tried to make it a little more reminiscent of the OT makeup. FC could have had great makeup if they had more time to make the appliances better. They werent blended too well and the cheek pieces were weird.

DOFP, much better character with an awful look imo. Minimal scales and what was there looked flat. My biggest issue with the paint they used is that it made her face so shiny that it made the body suit stand out even more.

They need more variation in color like the OT Mystique. And not one color straight out of the tube.

The character herself though was fawesome.

Last edited:
I liked the paint they used for her face and some of her body parts. The scales and the body suit are of course questionable. But over-all, I think it looks better compare to her look in FC.

I liked the paint they used for her face and some of her body parts. The scales and the body suit are of course questionable. But over-all, I think it looks better compare to her look in FC.

Agreed, the scales are a different shade of blue, deeper, than in FC where they appeared to colour both skin and scales all in one color. She looked like she was made from rubber because of it in FC, much better this time.

Agreed, the scales are a different shade of blue, deeper, than in FC where they appeared to colour both skin and scales all in one color. She looked like she was made from rubber because of it in FC, much better this time.

Agreed. I much preferred the look in DOFP compared to FC--if FC were the first movie I'd seen her in, then I would have shrugged and went, "Well, it's a little off from her color in the comics, but oh well." Since we know how good the blue can look from the previous X-films and FC's was a completely different shade of blue, it did bother me.

I'm very glad they got back to something that looked more like the original Mystique, especially with the slightly darker scales in DOFP.

FC looks more like OT Mystique. It's just a lighter color. The color is closer in DOFP, but overall it's a much weaker makeup job.
Shame it was a rushed production. If they had more time, they could have painted the scales better. And the edges blended better.

I do not see how the second is a step up from the first. I'll take the slightly lighter mystique any day.
And the lighter one reminds me a bit of the comic version.
DOFP looks like decent cosplay. FC looks like passable movie makeup. I'll take the latter.

Last edited:
DOFP looks way more like the OT Mystique!

f5WfUxr.jpg

FC Mystique looks like a Smurf, and making the scales the same colour as her skin makes her look fake (like rubber, as someone else said).

The hair in DOFP is the only thing that makes it look like the original mystique.

I do agree it's a little crappy that the scales are the same color in FC. But, at least a there's a lot. And not so flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"