Joss Whedon's Spider-Man

I could see him bring back the camp and cheesiness. The reboot series is trying it's best to adandon that and give it a more Modern-Edgey vibe.

And it has failed miserably thus far.

I'm not saying Spidey should be campy or corny. But he should be fun, joyful and exhilarating. He is like a walking emobidment of underdog/geek fantasy both as a superhero and as an average joe whose life is in the center of a perpetual soap opera.

Trying to darken him and make him "edgy" with a Nolan flavor has really hurt the character. An it looks like Sony/Webb noticed, as the footage for the sequel looks much more bright, fun and playful. Right down to bringing back, essentially, the superior Raimi suit for the costume.

Last edited:
Well if we want to start splitting hairs, I'd say it's somewhere between the Johns Romita with a dash of MacFarlane thrown in. ;)

But I get your point on that.

Its hard to pass up an opportunity to be a subtle smart ass on the internet :)

I just think the suit was going to be altered anyway after the first film since so many disliked it, and going to a more faithful suit was inevitable. But I guess that makes the comparisons to Raimi's suit inevitable too, even though they are following the source material, not Raimi's movies. I actually liked the first suit and am a little sad to see it go.

I imagine the original Ditko costume rendered faithfully on screen would be pretty ugly :|

Well if we want to start splitting hairs, I'd say it's somewhere between the Johns Romita with a dash of MacFarlane thrown in. ;)

Are you talking about Joss Whedon or Spider-Man? Then what the **** is MacFarlane doing as a comparison there? It looks like an insult to both Joss and Spidey

I'm not saying Spidey should be campy or corny. But he should be fun, joyful and exhilarating. He is like a walking emobidment of underdog/geek fantasy both as a superhero and as an average joe whose life is in the center of a perpetual soap opera.

Trying to darken him and make him "edgy" with a Nolan flavor has really hurt the character. An it looks like Sony/Webb noticed, as the footage for the sequel looks much more bright, fun and playful. Right down to bringing back, essentially, the superior Raimi suit for the costume.

:up::highfive:

Then it has succeeded fabulously.

Spider-man is now funnier than Raimi, he had his share of fun fighting crime and mocking criminals, so it's all good.

Are you talking about Joss Whedon or Spider-Man? Then what the **** is MacFarlane doing as a comparison there? It looks like an insult to both Joss and Spidey

You can say what you like about Todd Macfarlane but that doesn't make his pencil work on "The Amazing Spider-Man" and "Spider-Man" any less awesome.

...Webb's Spider Man is sure as hell NOT funner than Raimi's.

You can say what you like about Todd Macfarlane but that doesn't make his pencil work on "The Amazing Spider-Man" and "Spider-Man" any less awesome.
Sorry, i thought you were talking about Seth MacFarlane

^ Yup.

The only thing that's more positive in the Webb version over Raimi's is Garfield Spidey having Emma's Gwen compared to Dunst's Mary Jane.

Sorry, i thought you were talking about Seth MacFarlane

Ohh haha, that's pretty funny. Yeah those posts were discussing the movie costume and artists influence.

...Webb's Spider Man is sure as hell NOT funner than Raimi's.

Uhh...what? The Amazing Spider-Man had more quips in 2 scenes than Raimi's Spider-Man did in 3 whole movies!

And I get that what you and I find funny may be vastly different, but what lines, if any, did Spider-Tobey have that were genuinely humorous?

Only one that I can think of is "Here's your change!", that was great.

Making more quips does not make one version "Funner" than the other.

Funnier? Yes. Funner? No.

I think he is referencing this suit as a an inspiration to the ASM2 suit.

spider-man1.jpg

Also I'd love for Whedon to get his hands on Spidey, be it a comic, cartoon or film. Spidey's minimum role in his Astonishing X-men finale was glorious.

They made the character more grounded in terms of character and setting. Even SM1 was the darkest of the three. Webb wanted to highlight the tragic side of the character as he is arguably the most tragic superhero of all. In the sequel you get to have fun as you have introduced these characters. One minuite your with that girl from school the next your Uncle is dead. Spider-Man has always been fun as a character but his journey is dark, that's why he is my favourite character as it's about a comming of age story, the ups and downs of life. Are you saying that the story is as fun and campy as Rami portrayed?
.His Parents are dead, his Uncle is dead
. Carnage
. Symbeote saga
. Death of Gwen Stacy - His first true love
. Harry's Drug addiction
. Green Goblin impregnating Gwen and Liz Allen

Just to name a few. The character has always been a balance of light and dark.
The Theme of TASM2 is time, part of what Webb wants to highlight is time spent with loved ones. It's those moments with the likes of him and Gwen or his Uncle that are important. Showing the joy of those relationships are important as time and fate have other plans for these characters...

If Whedon was given an ideal superhero to do, it would be Spider-Man. He's the only good writer to pull off teen angst and to do a really great job at it. Quips an comebacks included. Not to forget the whole deal with female characters, he can really rock at writing mary-Jane and making her an official bad-ass. If Whedon ever wrote a Spider-Man comic book, this would be the best comic book I've ever read.

I never thought what suit Joss would use for Spider-Man. I would think he'd go a bit more classic. Like This would be a perfect example for Joss's suit-
tumblr_inline_mkq55s6WS71qz4rgp.jpg

Lol, what's the deal with the whole argument? Stay on topic, guys!

Last edited:
Whedon on the new Spider-Man franchise would have been neat, but Webb has made a decent outing and looks to have improved his cinematic Spider-Man mythos in the sequel.

The franchise might have been better under Whedon, but I think its in good, capable, inventive hands.

Besides if Whedon didn't do Avengers, who knows what could've happened.

Pretty impressive that both these guys had their 2nd directed theatrical releases with multimillion dollar franchises spanning decades. These dudes deal with pressure pretty well I'd say.

I'm not exactly a follower of Whedon, he was put on my radar thanks to Astonishing X-Men. That alone gives me full confidence he could write a damn good Spider-Man book. Coupled with the Avengers, I am sure he could faithfully and impressively adapt any Marvel property to film.

In my opinion, Spider-Man is probably the perfect character for Whedon. Astonishing X-Men proved that he can be a good comic book writer and Whedon knows how to teen angst, clever quips and comebacks, strong females characters...a Joss Whedon Spider-Man would be a dream project.

Last edited:
Ah no. "Joss Whedon" . . . what does that have to do with Spider Man?

"Marc Webb" . . . HAS "WEB" IN HIS NAME!!!!!!!

God damn you guys don't get how Hollywood works do you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"