Joss Whedon's Spider-Man

Ah no. "Joss Whedon" . . . what does that have to do with Spider Man?

"Marc Webb" . . . HAS "WEB" IN HIS NAME!!!!!!!

God damn you guys don't get how Hollywood works do you?

I don't think if he should direct, but write a one-shot comic book. Who says we're only talking about movies?

Chances are we won't get a Whedon Spidey movie ever. But from Spider-Man's appearance during the wrap up of Joss' Astonishing X-Men run, I am more than confident that his work on a Spider-Man comic would be up there with some of the most fondly remembered runs by fans. If I were in the comic side of Marvel I would find a way to get Whedon reteam with Cassaday for a 2 year/24 issue run of a relaunched MARVEL TEAM-UP book starring Spider-Man, with a guest hero each issue. It would not be quite the commitment a film or tv series has so it would be easier for Joss to work into his schedule, plus the thing sells itself: Here is a comic book series from the director of the Avengers featuring the most popular Marvel hero. Bonus is we would get to see Whedon writing a wide swath of the Marvel U., if only for 32pages.

I also just want to add that I really love TASM. I was born in '76, so this is not some youthful band wagon jumping. I think it was a superior product to what Raimi (a film genius, so I'm not a hater) for the most part gave us. I think it felt more real, and more true to the comics, which is an Amazing feat if you will. I don't think the overall tone of Raimi's films ever really suited a modern day Spider-Man film. I now await the usual crazed reactions from fans who cannot fathom how I could like something they do not. Cheers.

Chances are we won't get a Whedon Spidey movie ever. But from Spider-Man's appearance during the wrap up of Joss' Astonishing X-Men run, I am more than confident that his work on a Spider-Man comic would be up there with some of the most fondly remembered runs by fans. If I were in the comic side of Marvel I would find a way to get Whedon reteam with Cassaday for a 2 year/24 issue run of a relaunched MARVEL TEAM-UP book starring Spider-Man, with a guest hero each issue. It would not be quite the commitment a film or tv series has so it would be easier for Joss to work into his schedule, plus the thing sells itself: Here is a comic book series from the director of the Avengers featuring the most popular Marvel hero. Bonus is we would get to see Whedon writing a wide swath of the Marvel U., if only for 32pages.

I also just want to add that I really love TASM. I was born in '76, so this is not some youthful band wagon jumping. I think it was a superior product to what Raimi (a film genius, so I'm not a hater) for the most part gave us. I think it felt more real, and more true to the comics, which is an Amazing feat if you will. I don't think the overall tone of Raimi's films ever really suited a modern day Spider-Man film. I now await the usual crazed reactions from fans who cannot fathom how I could like something they do not. Cheers.

That would be nice, but I'd prefer standalone issue(s) like Alan Moore's Killing Joke or Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns. I don't see Superior ending anytime soon.

That would be nice, but I'd prefer standalone issue(s) like Alan Moore's Killing Joke or Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns. I don't see Superior ending anytime soon.

Really? You don't think that prior to the release of TASM2 that we won't be treated to the "return" of Peter Parker?

Joss Whedon and Bryan Hitch pitched a Spider-Man comic series to Marvel years back (when Joss was coming off of Astonishing X-Men, I think) that they turned down.

Joss Whedon and Bryan Hitch pitched a Spider-Man comic series to Marvel years back (when Joss was coming off of Astonishing X-Men, I think) that they turned down.

I'd guess that they'd let him do whatever the hell he wanted these days. :woot:

Hopefully, they get him after Avengers: AoU. It's a damn shame they didn't let him go with the pitch, maybe in the future...

Insanity! Any idea what the story was? Bryan Hitch is a great artist but I don't care for his style with Spider-Man.

And anyone who doesn't think Peter Parker will be back by May 2014 is kidding themselves.

Insanity! Any idea what the story was? Bryan Hitch is a great artist but I don't care for his style with Spider-Man.

And anyone who doesn't think Peter Parker will be back by May 2014 is kidding themselves.

I don't think they ever revealed, correct me if I'm wrong though.

If Whedon ever wrote a graphic novel for Spider-Man, Phil Noto's art would be superb to go with it.

I hope so

I'm not into the Joss hype.

I wouldn't want him for Spider-Man as i don't thinks he's special or better than other directors/writers simply because he's god of the nerds.

I'm not into the Joss hype.

I wouldn't want him for Spider-Man as i don't thinks he's special or better than other directors/writers simply because he's god of the nerds.

I'm not saying he should do Spider-Man because of all those traits, I just think that from all the work he's done over the years and his writing would be perfect for Spider-Man.

He'd be perfect I think. Though I'm happy with Webb.

As many others have said, since it isn't realistic to hope for a Joss Whedon Spider-Man film anytime soon, I'd be very happy if he'd write some comics.

Are you talking about Joss Whedon or Spider-Man? Then what the **** is MacFarlane doing as a comparison there? It looks like an insult to both Joss and Spidey

I was talking about the new TASM2 suit with the big eyes. That feels very nineties to me.

^ Yup.

The only thing that's more positive in the Webb version over Raimi's is Garfield Spidey having Emma's Gwen compared to Dunst's Mary Jane.

I would agree. I am not saying that TASM is unsalvagable (though they ruined my favorite Spidey villain, Lizard, for at least a few decades), but TASM got almost every single thing wrong besides the casting of its two leads. And Sony seems to acknowledge this, because everything we have seen about TASM2 is a tonal shift of large proportions. It no longer looks like wannabe Nolan. And for that I am cautiously happy.

They made the character more grounded in terms of character and setting. Even SM1 was the darkest of the three. Webb wanted to highlight the tragic side of the character as he is arguably the most tragic superhero of all. In the sequel you get to have fun as you have introduced these characters. One minuite your with that girl from school the next your Uncle is dead. Spider-Man has always been fun as a character but his journey is dark, that's why he is my favourite character as it's about a comming of age story, the ups and downs of life. Are you saying that the story is as fun and campy as Rami portrayed?
.His Parents are dead, his Uncle is dead
. Carnage
. Symbeote saga
. Death of Gwen Stacy - His first true love
. Harry's Drug addiction
. Green Goblin impregnating Gwen and Liz Allen

Just to name a few. The character has always been a balance of light and dark.
The Theme of TASM2 is time, part of what Webb wants to highlight is time spent with loved ones. It's those moments with the likes of him and Gwen or his Uncle that are important. Showing the joy of those relationships are important as time and fate have other plans for these characters...

Peter's life could be viewed as dark. But the beauty of the character is that he does not succumb to it like, say, Bruce Wayne. He is too grounded and normal. No matter how horrific (or melodramatic) things get, he maintains an optimistic, oddball outlook that some would call naive or foolish, but I like to think is resilience.

For all of Raimi's trilogy's problems, it captured that somewhat better. Peter loses his uncle, he (accidentally) lets Harry's father die, he tells the truth to Aunt May about letting Ben die and feels her quiet wrath, he watches Harry die, etc. but the tone is never dark, but one of resilience and ultimately a love for life, even if there is the quiet sound of sadness and the lonely, noble trumpet in the background.

Raimi got many things wrong, but being able to balance Peter's life as a soap opera with tragedy, but also one of joy and optimism is one of the things he got very right.

TASM is overly bleak and cynical. It even features a scene where they try to make the audience wonder if Spidey will murder a thug (he covers his mouth with webbing and watches him suffocate with a head turn that makes the eye-lenses appear monstrous and otherworldly). It is not the character.

And they have seemingly dropped it form the sequel for a reason.

Peter's life could be viewed as dark. But the beauty of the character is that he does not succumb to it like, say, Bruce Wayne. He is too grounded and normal. No matter how horrific (or melodramatic) things get, he maintains an optimistic, oddball outlook that some would call naive or foolish, but I like to think is resilience.

For all of Raimi's trilogy's problems, it captured that somewhat better. Peter loses his uncle, he (accidentally) lets Harry's father die, he tells the truth to Aunt May about letting Ben die and feels her quiet wrath, he watches Harry die, etc. but the tone is never dark, but one of resilience and ultimately a love for life, even if there is the quiet sound of sadness and the lonely, noble trumpet in the background.

Raimi got many things wrong, but being able to balance Peter's life as a soap opera with tragedy, but also one of joy and optimism is one of the things he got very right.

TASM is overly bleak and cynical. It even features a scene where they try to make the audience wonder if Spidey will murder a thug (he covers his mouth with webbing and watches him suffocate with a head turn that makes the eye-lenses appear monstrous and otherworldly). It is not the character.

And they have seemingly dropped it form the sequel for a reason.
I think I get what your saying. Webb's take was more grounded in terms of character. We see how the pain of his Uncle's death makes him darker. If I remember though in SM1 he was going to kill his killer too. By the end of the film he stops looking for the killer because he has learned the difference between a hero and a vigilante. That aspect has been dropped for TASM2 simply because the character has changed.

I agree with a lot of what you said. For all its faults, SM3 is the movie that strikes that balance best, one of my favorite things about it, the theme of forgiveness and how it shows that Peter's life is never really stable, and he deals with things that would easily break any other man.

You had me up till here though:

I didn't for one second think Spider-Man would actually kill that guy. It wasn't overly dark or cynical. Spider-Man can be intimidating and frightening, when he wants to, or feels the need to. Its part of the act Peter puts on when he wears the mask. I thought that scene was refreshing and the head-tilt was all it took to show a side of Spidey that has been ignored. I loved it.

He is Spiderman. Stan Lee has said part of the characters allure was that most people are inherently afraid of spiders. The mask hides his entire face, the eyes hid his emotion, you can never get a read on Spidey by looking at him. It's part of the reason the city and JJJ view him the way they do, out of fear.

I think there are scenes that show just as well as Raimi's did that Peter's life is a balance between happyness and pain. But this was an origin story, the death of Uncle Ben, the most painful part of Peter's life. And the next most important part: that balance will never, ever be in Peter's favor.

So while the sequel, from what we've seen so far, might look more light hearted, it will have plenty of moments to put Spider-Man through the ringer.

In my opinion, Marc Webb did a decent job with Spider-Man. It honestly could've been amazing but it had so much missed opportunities. I feel that Whedon could've really done something special with Spider-Man. All the traits he has at writing his scripts, Spider-Man would be perfect for him. Itd be awesome if Marvel let him write a one-shot after Avengers.

In my opinion, Marc Webb did a decent job with Spider-Man. It honestly could've been amazing but it had so much missed opportunities. I feel that Whedon could've really done something special with Spider-Man. All the traits he has at writing his scripts, Spider-Man would be perfect for him. Itd be awesome if Marvel let him write a one-shot after Avengers.

What did you feel Webb could do better?

The problem with TASM (and MOS,for that matter) is trying to squeeze a "light" character into a dark & bleak film.Both Spidey & Supe's strength is the wish fulfilment.The sense of exhilaration of being them for an hour,and then having to go back to your day job.Both films completely sacrificed that angle in a misguided attempt to have us "feel their pain".

Now,I'm not saying that neither character has had their struggles,dark moments,blah,blah,blah-but if you start with that "grim" tone,you lose much of the core character.

What did you feel Webb could do better?

I hate what they did with the Lizard. They took out what made Curtis Connors important and NOT a baddie. They cut his son, if they had focused on his wife and son more, it would give Peter a reason to hold back on hurting Curt. They just took out the core part of what makes the character. I also feel that the high school subplot seems forced, kissing on the locker, the whole pciture scene. To me, they exaggerated a bit much. Again, Joss's Buffy added heart to it. I feel taht it could've been better under the hands of Joss Whedon and Matthew Vaughn.

I also didn't like that Peter never caught the criminal. It would've been great to see Peter take on the crook, but not let him die in this one.

See I don't hate it...but it could've been better. 7.9/10 for me. For a reboot, I just felt that it SHOULD'VE knocked it out of the park but that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"