Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I don't see why Dredd needed any. It didn't take itself too seriously. It was raw and very adult, but you could tell the cheesy one-liners were just simply cheesy one-liners. I don't satire was all that necessary.

Well, because satire is a big part of the actual comic.

Paul Verhoeven would of made a great Judge Dredd movie if they wanted to use more of the satire elements from the comics.

I agree there. A Verhoeven Dredd movie would be awesome.

Still, The Raid was a lot more entertaining than Dredd, which was fairly boring, and forgot to include satire.

When there was no fighting going on, The Raid pretty much lost me. The atmosphere and the tension in Dredd held my attention the entire time.

Well, because satire is a big part of the actual comic.
Well I haven't read the comics so I could care less. As a film, I left the theatre very satisfied. Dredd was a very well done action film with some plot points I didn't see coming and also had some great character arcs/themes. For a blockbuster at the end of the summer movie season, it did very well.

Considering Dredd's failure due to it's lack of budget and advertising I've been thinking about something a lot - there are actors with stroke out there who claim to be die-hard fans of 2000AD and various directors over the years (who have enough stroke to get films of theirs funded with budgets bigger than Dredd's) swiping 2000AD's themes, tones and visuals for years. Why don't all these people have more of an influence in getting a big bucks 2000AD off the ground?

Surely as fans they would want to see the films done well too? Surely as fans they would have as much faith as we do that if they were done right they could be real box-office successes?

You would think so wouldnt you, if I was an actor with a lot of money and some pull I would try like hell to get a 2000AD movie off the ground. Its strange though that they dont seem to bother.

Its a bit like football, to use my team as an example, Paul McCartney is supposedly a huge Evertonian yet has never expressed any interest in putting money in the club. I guess its the same with actors and them being fans of certain properties.

I saw this movie today and really liked it. Some pretty gory and beautiful looking scenes, and I thought Urban did a great job.
One thing that bugged me though was when Anderson was taken hostage and later was about to be executed: I thought the director was stupid and forgotten that the Judges' guns were dna-locked. But when the black dude got his hand blown off I realized that she just played along on the "kidnapping" part in order to get closer to Ma-Ma, so afterwards that's a pretty nice pair of scenes.

She wanted to get taken? That doesn't make any sense.

Well, in my mind she probably thought that they weren't gonna be able to shoot their way to the top. I'm guessing she knew what the black guy was thinking about doing so she just played along, getting herself all the way to the boss alive, and later on she would have the element of surprise.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it but then why did she let herself get taken? She should have known that he wouldn't be able to shoot her with her own gun, which he obviously thought would work.

I thought he held onto her hand which was on the trigger, all he had to do was pull. But him not knowing he can't actually use the Lawgiver felt pretty stupid.

I was actually thinking she did get captured. Because she got her gun taken away. She wasn't a real "judge". She was still emotionally soft. I thought that's why she was captured was because she was the weak link. That, and the fact that I guess Mama's gang was nothing but guys.

Yes I just checked it hand he did have his hand on top of her finger, but if she really wanted to she should have been fast enough to just drop the gun or whatever.
But, it seems as though she never really does anything about being so close to Ma-Ma after her escape, she just runs straight to Dredd. So perhaps it was just a mistake on her part then afterall, not really sure now.

I was actually shocked when she got captured. Though I also love how she shows she can handle herself.

I dont think she meant to get captured, but once she did I think she started to formulate a plan to escape.

The way she eventually does was great, showed she had real fire and had what it takes to be a judge after all.

Nobody thought it was illogical how she escaped? I understand Kay wanting kill her with her own weapon, poetic justice etc. But he should know he can't use a Lawgiver. He's a criminal, where he has encountered many Judges before.

Yeah, it doesn't really make sense to me either. It's something they just had to get in there. Maybe they should've shown him reach for another gun and have him hesitate and go for the Lawgiver instead, suggesting she manipulated his mind.

Yeah, it doesn't really make sense to me either. It's something they just had to get in there. Maybe they should've shown him reach for another gun and have him hesitate and go for the Lawgiver instead, suggesting she manipulated his mind.
I don't know the fact that she is mainly the moral/emotional part of the film, I think it would be wierd if she forced him to kill himself. I also thought it was wierd when she swore in that scene. Up until then, neither Dredd nor Anderson had uttered one curse word. I liked how it separated them from the bad guys, who dropped the f-word every five seconds.

Now that I think about it I don't recall an instance of her manipulating a person in that way so it might be a moot point. I think it's one of those things that's just down to personal preference but she had already executed someone for the attempted murder of a judge. That may technically apply to Kay regardless of whether he'd actually fired a shot.

And Dredd did drop the S-bomb prior to the gatling gun scene (something I had to be reminded of myself!). Though admittedly it wasn't in a vulgar context. More like 'aaw, *****!'.

I suppose one way to get around this problem is to think of the Lawgiver booby trap as a new function. There's nothing in the movie to suggest it isn't. If I think about it like that then the scene isn't really an issue. Ignorance is bliss etc.

Yes the only logical answer is that the booby trap is a new function, otherwise both him and every other criminal should have heard about it.

The way I looked at it was the that it was either new as it's the Mk. II model, or that the function was actually a myth/rumor to make the Judge's seem more threatening.

Well they said Judges never came to that area, so I just assumed that the guy never knew of anyone who had gotten their hands on a Judge's gun before. Based on the fire-power Judges pack, I wouldn't have expected that to be a very common occurrence.

Last edited:
...I clearly didn't put as much thought into that scene as you guys. It didnt phase me in the slightest.

...I clearly didn't put as much thought into that scene as you guys. It didnt phase me in the slightest.

Same here, until it was brought up I hadn't given it a second thought...If I had.....

Well they said Judges never came to that area, so I just assumed that the guy never knew of anyone who had gotten their hands on a Judge's gun before. Based on the fire-power Judges pack, I wouldn't have expected that to be a very common occurrence.

Then this would have been my answer. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"