Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by Thread Manager, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S. Grundy

S. Grundy Well-Known Member

Well, because satire is a big part of the actual comic.

2. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Paul Verhoeven would of made a great Judge Dredd movie if they wanted to use more of the satire elements from the comics.

3. Maximus One

Maximus One Eklypze Is Dead

I agree there. A Verhoeven Dredd movie would be awesome.

4. cryptic name

cryptic name No Limits

When there was no fighting going on, The Raid pretty much lost me. The atmosphere and the tension in Dredd held my attention the entire time.

5. TheForgotten

TheForgotten Well-Known Member

Well I haven't read the comics so I could care less. As a film, I left the theatre very satisfied. Dredd was a very well done action film with some plot points I didn't see coming and also had some great character arcs/themes. For a blockbuster at the end of the summer movie season, it did very well.

6. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

You would think so wouldnt you, if I was an actor with a lot of money and some pull I would try like hell to get a 2000AD movie off the ground. Its strange though that they dont seem to bother.

Its a bit like football, to use my team as an example, Paul McCartney is supposedly a huge Evertonian yet has never expressed any interest in putting money in the club. I guess its the same with actors and them being fans of certain properties.

7. gohei_

gohei_ Infected by Pentapox

I saw this movie today and really liked it. Some pretty gory and beautiful looking scenes, and I thought Urban did a great job.
    One thing that bugged me though was when Anderson was taken hostage and later was about to be executed: I thought the director was stupid and forgotten that the Judges' guns were dna-locked. But when the black dude got his hand blown off I realized that she just played along on the "kidnapping" part in order to get closer to Ma-Ma, so afterwards that's a pretty nice pair of scenes.

8. Liam_H

Liam_H Well-Known Member

She wanted to get taken? That doesn't make any sense.

9. gohei_

Well, in my mind she probably thought that they weren't gonna be able to shoot their way to the top. I'm guessing she knew what the black guy was thinking about doing so she just played along, getting herself all the way to the boss alive, and later on she would have the element of surprise.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it but then why did she let herself get taken? She should have known that he wouldn't be able to shoot her with her own gun, which he obviously thought would work.

10. Liam_H

Liam_H Well-Known Member

I thought he held onto her hand which was on the trigger, all he had to do was pull. But him not knowing he can't actually use the Lawgiver felt pretty stupid.

11. TheForgotten

I was actually thinking she did get captured. Because she got her gun taken away. She wasn't a real "judge". She was still emotionally soft. I thought that's why she was captured was because she was the weak link. That, and the fact that I guess Mama's gang was nothing but guys.

12. gohei_

Yes I just checked it hand he did have his hand on top of her finger, but if she really wanted to she should have been fast enough to just drop the gun or whatever.
    But, it seems as though she never really does anything about being so close to Ma-Ma after her escape, she just runs straight to Dredd. So perhaps it was just a mistake on her part then afterall, not really sure now.

13. Nathan

Nathan ...

It was a screw up. Simple as that.

14. TheForgotten

I was actually shocked when she got captured. Though I also love how she shows she can handle herself.

15. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

I dont think she meant to get captured, but once she did I think she started to formulate a plan to escape.

The way she eventually does was great, showed she had real fire and had what it takes to be a judge after all.

16. Liam_H

Liam_H Well-Known Member

Nobody thought it was illogical how she escaped? I understand Kay wanting kill her with her own weapon, poetic justice etc. But he should know he can't use a Lawgiver. He's a criminal, where he has encountered many Judges before.

17. Spark

Spark Well-Known Member

Yeah, it doesn't really make sense to me either. It's something they just had to get in there. Maybe they should've shown him reach for another gun and have him hesitate and go for the Lawgiver instead, suggesting she manipulated his mind.

18. TheForgotten

I don't know the fact that she is mainly the moral/emotional part of the film, I think it would be wierd if she forced him to kill himself. I also thought it was wierd when she swore in that scene. Up until then, neither Dredd nor Anderson had uttered one curse word. I liked how it separated them from the bad guys, who dropped the f-word every five seconds.

19. Spark

Spark Well-Known Member

Now that I think about it I don't recall an instance of her manipulating a person in that way so it might be a moot point. I think it's one of those things that's just down to personal preference but she had already executed someone for the attempted murder of a judge. That may technically apply to Kay regardless of whether he'd actually fired a shot.

And Dredd did drop the S-bomb prior to the gatling gun scene (something I had to be reminded of myself!). Though admittedly it wasn't in a vulgar context. More like 'aaw, *****!'.

20. Spark

Spark Well-Known Member

I suppose one way to get around this problem is to think of the Lawgiver booby trap as a new function. There's nothing in the movie to suggest it isn't. If I think about it like that then the scene isn't really an issue. Ignorance is bliss etc.

21. gohei_

Yes the only logical answer is that the booby trap is a new function, otherwise both him and every other criminal should have heard about it.

22. the dmg

the dmg The Funky Homosapien

The way I looked at it was the that it was either new as it's the Mk. II model, or that the function was actually a myth/rumor to make the Judge's seem more threatening.

23. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Well they said Judges never came to that area, so I just assumed that the guy never knew of anyone who had gotten their hands on a Judge's gun before. Based on the fire-power Judges pack, I wouldn't have expected that to be a very common occurrence.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  24. Balthus Dire

Balthus Dire Punishment Continues

...I clearly didn't put as much thought into that scene as you guys. It didnt phase me in the slightest.

25. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

Same here, until it was brought up I hadn't given it a second thought...If I had.....

Then this would have been my answer. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.