Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bad place with a TV series,, just not the same... It will get a sequel I bet, some movies just go under the radar for whatever reasons...

Once this bad boy hits DVD and people take a chance to rent or buy,, I know they will be like "why the bad place did I not hear about this movie"?

Happened to me with Equilibrium, I saw it on cable one day and just could not believe I've never heard about it,, the movie just breezed thru the theater circut... It got a cult following, did awesome on DVD. Long story short it allowed the director to make another movie ultraviolet....ummm but ultraviolet is another story.

Moral of the story is DVD can make all the difference... Just look at "The Raid" see what i did there. lol

All we can do is hope for the "D-motherfockin-D" to do well

Last edited:
This may be a feeble example, since it's waay back, but the first Highlander also flopped in its theatrical release, but because the home video was a hit, it got a sequel. Could such a thing happen to Dredd?

The market is a bit different these days. Aside from piracy, where direct dvd/blu-ray rips are available online as soon (if not before) they hit the shops, you also have satellite/cable showing the films not long after that to rent, or they are aired on their own movie channels soon after as well.

Back in the 80's you either saw a film in the theatre, bought or borrowed an (almost always) terrible cam copy, or rented /bought the Video when it came out (which generally took a fair bit longer than the current few months). Getting aired on TV (or Cable) would usually come quite some time after that (could take a good few years for a major film to hit terrestrial tv).

That being said there still is enough money from the DVD/Blu-Ray market to help a theatrical flop get a sequel (especially if the critics liked it), but it remains to be seen if the punters passing on seeing this in the theatres will bother much later on either.

I actually think the general speed in which movies become widely available for home viewing is something which can help a film in Dredd's position, regardless of where the money is or isn't going. In the olden days it could take a cult hit much longer to find a mainstream audience and have a shot at a sequel. Even if Dredd doesn't make stacks of cash later on, I think it's halfway to a second movie if it can prove there's an audience for it. That's why I'm still not worried, even at this stage.

This film was so cool. My film of the year ahead of your Avengers and Batmans.

The story is really simple, but for me that is a good thing. It's really focused, knows exactly what it wants to be, and bullseyes the target. Nothing revolutionary, just a day in the life of Dredd!

Urban nailed it. As did the production designers and cinematographer. It's like an old 70s thriller but with upgraded tech. And that score; WOW. Reminded me of Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 score.

The market is a bit different these days. Aside from piracy, where direct dvd/blu-ray rips are available online as soon (if not before) they hit the shops, you also have satellite/cable showing the films not long after that to rent, or they are aired on their own movie channels soon after as well.

Back in the 80's you either saw a film in the theatre, bought or borrowed an (almost always) terrible cam copy, or rented /bought the Video when it came out (which generally took a fair bit longer than the current few months). Getting aired on TV (or Cable) would usually come quite some time after that (could take a good few years for a major film to hit terrestrial tv).

That being said there still is enough money from the DVD/Blu-Ray market to help a theatrical flop get a sequel (especially if the critics liked it), but it remains to be seen if the punters passing on seeing this in the theatres will bother much later on either.

I agree. The market and economy is different today. It's constantly changing. It's almost unstable because we're in a transitional period. A transition into what..that's up to the corporations to decide or allow.

Apart from dvd and blu ray, there is services like netflix now. I think this film will be an eventual cult hit.

Even then, the greenlighting process for a sequel to a cult movie can be very arbitrary.

WOM is slowly but surely kicking in, the movie moved upto 8th place after being 11th at the weekend on Tuesday. I just think its too little to late, it bodes well for the DVD/BD release, but at this current moment my hopes for a sequel are dashed.

Anything we do get will be a bonus.

2000AD Films - dead before it even got a chance to live.

You never know BB, but in all honesty things arent looking good at the minute. WOM seems to be kicking for the movie but too little too late it seems.

Blame Stallone. I bet some people thought this was a remake of that awful movie. Look at Batman, one of the biggest names in comics and 'only' made 400m WW despite Batman Begins being a good movie, you can thank the desasterous movie that proceeded it.

^B&R was only 7 years before BB compared to about 17 between Dredd movies, you'd think the masses would be able to differentiate a bit more but these are the people who make the Scary Movie series successful.

I'm not being a bitter fanboy as I am not one, I can barely remember the Dredd comics I read which must have been 20-25 years ago. But the masses can be incredibly stupid with movies sometimes. And in fairness, the movie didnt have the best marketing either.

Personally im just glad theyve made a proper Dredd movie. Sequels would just be a nice bonus. I cant get over how awesome it was. The part where he is on the loud speaker was a fans dream come true. Loved the mind battle Anderson has with Avon. So many cool scenes.

Ha ha, Avon. They may have well have called him Avon because that what people think of him as.

Everything is a remake to everybody these days. You create a new property the first question is "what is it based on?"

Begins did way better than Batman and Robin, or Forever.
Judge Dredd blows Dredd away in terms of profit.

I wouldn't go that far. Dredd hasn't finished yet, and I doubt the '95 version exactly blew the home video market away. I think it's only just got its first Blu Ray release, and that's probably thanks to Urban and Co.

I'm very curious to see how it will perform in France. I know in France comic books of the genre of science-fiction, like those done by Moebius and other stuff from Metal Hurlant(which influenced Blade Runner and The Fifth Element), are hugely popular. So, I wonder if something of a similar genre like Dredd will draw in people there, although I'm not positively sure if it's opening there or not.

Last edited:
Everything is a remake to everybody these days. You create a new property the first question is "what is it based on?"

It's true. I work with a man in his 40's who fits the general public demo. He tried to convinced me that 'Looper' was based on a comic.

I'm very curious to see how it will perform in France. I know in France comic books of the genre of science-fiction, like those done by Moebius and other stuff from Metal Hurlant(which influenced Blade Runner and The Fifth Element), are hugely popular. So, I wonder if something of a similar genre like Dredd will draw in people there, although I'm not positively sure if it's opening there or not.

Lets hope it can do well in France then, surely JD is known there. According to my brother who lives in Melbourne it is out in Australia at the end of this month, with a lot of English living there, it may do ok there as well, here's hoping.

It's true. I work with a man in his 40's who fits the general public demo. He tried to convinced me that 'Looper' was based on a comic.

Actually...There was a future shock short story in 2000 AD a good while back that covered the same basic premise: A hitman in the 'present' (story was set in a future where time travel was possible) is unknowingly hired to kill his future self.

In the short story he was basically sent to a future point (he did not know what point in time it was) where he simply had to kill the next man turning a corner where he had been sent, then he was returned to his own time.

The twist for that story was that is was only after killing the target did he realise it was himself, and knew he resigned to the fact that no matter what he did he would eventually turn that same corner and be killed by his younger self (self fulfilling time loop paradox).

Actually...There was a future shock short story in 2000 AD a good while back that covered the same basic premise: A hitman in the 'present' (story was set in a future where time travel was possible) is unknowingly hired to kill his future self.

In the short story he was basically sent to a future point (he did not know what point in time it was) where he simply had to kill the next man turning a corner where he had been sent, then he was returned to his own time.

The twist for that story was that is was only after killing the target did he realise it was himself, and knew he resigned to the fact that no matter what he did he would eventually turn that same corner and be killed by his younger self (self fulfilling time loop paradox).

Technically that's not paradoxical. There is no impossibility or contradiction at work, just the weirdness of killing your own future self. However, if he tried to avoid it, that *would* induce a paradox. . .

Technically that's not paradoxical. There is no impossibility or contradiction at work, just the weirdness of killing your own future self. However, if he tried to avoid it, that *would* induce a paradox. . .

Lol, technically the correct term I should have used is a ' reverse Predestination Paradox' : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_paradox

In that short stories example the traveller goes to the future to set in motion events that he knows he has to fulfil (to his detriment) after he travels back to his own past, rather than a time traveller going back in time and creating the events they had being trying to alter (as in the original Terminator film).

Either way, both are time loop paradoxes :cwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back