Justin Hartley as Green Arrow

spawnjack01

Civilian
Reaction score
I like Oliver as a character on the show, and Justin does have a charm and not least an impeccable comidic timing from time to time. But do you think he does the Green Arrow justice? I know they changed the character almost completly from the comics, to be SV's version of Batman. But still?

The Green Arrow is the only regular real fleshed-out-in-costume Superhero on the show. But when he appear it's kinda a meh feeling I get. I think I may be feeling Oliver is to much of a regular easy going guy, to buy him as a superhero. The DC's superheroes should all have a outerworldly presence that I don't get from Justin in Green Arrow scenes. He's not at all bad. But not superhero-great.

I remember thinking when I saw the episode with the Dark Archer that this is how the Green Arrow should be. (Except from Dark Archer being a bad guy doing bad guys things of course.)

Now I know I will be flamed to death by this thread, but I just want to know if I'm alone in feeling this way.

Justin does the best he can, so he does it justice. He makes the best of the material.

The SV writers don't do Green Arrow justice. You are correct he's the complete opposite of the modern comics Green Arrow from the Grell run.

SV Green Arrow is more Silver Age if anything, like the one from Batman:Brave and the Bold.

Oliver's ultimate low for me though was him ****ing himself out to Tess in "Injustice".. it was just really sad

And of course, the killer mosquitos!!

IMO Green Arrow serves no purpose on this show as a regular.

Yes, Justin does the best he can and I'm not questioning the man's acting skills. But is he right for the role?
TW pressence just screams Superman, MR is Lex Luther. Erica, I thought looked right, but played the part a bit forced for a long time, but now she warmed up and IMO is Lois Lane, almost as much as TW and MR in their respective roles. But Justin Hartley just seems to plain somehow. (Not going into some of the wtf storylines he's been in, in which I agree with you, Man of Tomorrow.)

i dont read dc comics. but i do think justin has certain qualities of comics ollie.

I think he does a good portrayal but look at the JL/JLU version, Hartley is clearly being inspired by that version of the character.

To be honest, I don't see much in common between the JLU version and the Smallville one.

JLU Ollie was an anti-establishment non-conformist street avenger with strong liberal ideals. He had to be coaxed into joining the league. He didn't form it.

I think Justin Hqrtley is pretty good at the green arrow job. As Green Arrow he is cool, as Oliver Queen the friend, he is good and I think he understand how the character works even if they are too often playing the "fun & crack a joke" facette, for my taste. My only complain would be about the "Ollie" part, the guy who cares about the problems of the streets. This may not be his fault because in Smallville they are focusing on Superman, but I would not mind more "concern" about the streets or the homeless, or the drugs problems.
Taking example from the JLU GA is not a bad thing in my opinion, I think the portrayal of Ollie was perfect in JLU. Let J.Hartley wait a few years and he will be a physically perfect GA. With moustache and all.
I just ... feel the whole attitude could/should be less "elitist", and just more humble.
:up:

On a side note, I liked it when they show the "dark archer", Speedy and all, that was good. I would not mind a 1 hour spinoff episode featuring the GA of Smallville alone.

i think his green arrow and oliver is good, but not very consistent. one minute really dark, and the next minute a bit goofy. still love it.

I dont' buy him as a CEO of a major company tho. not at all. lacks the maturity Tess and Lex had.

Guess it's just me then. For me, the line between Ollie an Green Arrow goes at the hood and shades being on. When it's off, it's Ollie, which I don't have a problem with.

i think his green arrow and oliver is good, but not very consistent. one minute really dark, and the next minute a bit goofy. still love it.

I dont' buy him as a CEO of a major company tho. not at all. lacks the maturity Tess and Lex had.

Maturity, I think is a great word that describes what I feel lacks in his portrayal of the Green Arrow. He's suposed to play a young version of him, but still....

I think Hartley's persona would better fit the Flash actually.

I actually really like Justin Hartley's performance as Green Arrow and I think for the version that they need to come up with for Smallville, it's near perfect. You can't bring a character into Smallville and do an exact adaptation of the comics because you would be focusing too much on that character instead of the central character of the show, which is of course Clark.

I also think that if Warner Bros. & DC Comics aren't going to give us a Green Arrow film anytime soon then, after Smallville is over, they should give Green Arrow his own spin-off show with Justin Hartley returning in the role. It would be a great way to continue to satisfy DC fans and Smallville fan alike, and would be a great venue to test the waters for Green Arrow film and also a great way to bring other DC characters onto a show that Smallville can't fit in.

They could change it enough to where the character is a closer adaptation of the way the character is in the comics, since he wouldn't have to fit into Smallville's world anymore, which would include establishing the relationship between GA and Black Canary.

It wouldn't make sense to do a GA spinoff with Hartley if it isnt connected to Smallville.

A GA TV series could work, but IMO it's best for it to be a fresh take and not tied down to the SV interpretation, which is pretty much a 'set in stone' character now that's it's own thing.

I'd love to see a badass Nolan-esque Green Arrow like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzTu-r03vhE

But the Green Arrow property is better left for the films. If Green Lantern is a success, I'm sure scripts for the secondary JLers will be commissioned. Thank goodness 'Supermax' was scrapped though. That was bizarre.

It wouldn't make sense to do a GA spinoff with Hartley if it isnt connected to Smallville.

A GA TV series could work, but IMO it's best for it to be a fresh take and not tied down to the SV interpretation, which is pretty much a 'set in stone' character now that's it's own thing.

I'd love to see a badass Nolan-esque Green Arrow like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzTu-r03vhE

But the Green Arrow property is better left for the films. If Green Lantern is a success, I'm sure scripts for the secondary JLers will be commissioned. Thank goodness 'Supermax' was scrapped though. That was bizarre.

i personally dont' think a fresh start is necessary. no need for chloe, clark, or tess to continue in his story. like the cleveland show and family guy. or fraiser and cheers. or friends and joey.

I actually really like Justin Hartley's performance as Green Arrow and I think for the version that they need to come up with for Smallville, it's near perfect. You can't bring a character into Smallville and do an exact adaptation of the comics because you would be focusing too much on that character instead of the central character of the show, which is of course Clark.

I also think that if Warner Bros. & DC Comics aren't going to give us a Green Arrow film anytime soon then, after Smallville is over, they should give Green Arrow his own spin-off show with Justin Hartley returning in the role. It would be a great way to continue to satisfy DC fans and Smallville fan alike, and would be a great venue to test the waters for Green Arrow film and also a great way to bring other DC characters onto a show that Smallville can't fit in.

They could change it enough to where the character is a closer adaptation of the way the character is in the comics, since he wouldn't have to fit into Smallville's world anymore, which would include establishing the relationship between GA and Black Canary.

i would definitely watch. good followup i feel to the smallville franchise.

yea for me i have enjoyed hartley on the show last few yrs and its fun to have him around. plus we do get to have a batman like character around since we cant have batman himself. Cant wait to see what happens with him next season, also i do hope they can get canery's actress to at least maybe do a 2 episode guest spot so if season ten is the end we can start up dinah and ollie relationship.

i personally dont' think a fresh start is necessary. no need for chloe, clark, or tess to continue in his story. like the cleveland show and family guy. or fraiser and cheers. or friends and joey.

The problem is his backstory is still tied down with Smallville then; Lionel killing his parents, stuck on the island with Tess, forming the League, female Speedy etc

They can do 10000x more of a service to the GA character by starting fresh with a take that's on par with "The Longbow Hunters" and the modern Green Arrow stuff.

This way they have the freedom to start over, instead of being confined to the Smallville universe; which is hit and miss.

Hell, even Al/Miles made the Aquaman pilot into a separate thing from Smallville. It wasn't a spinoff. Hartley's Aquaman was different than the 'A.C.' from "Aqua" on SV.

GA is great on Smallville. But, for all intents and purposes he is Batman. He is the counter to Clark and Clark is the counter for Ollie. Just like Bats is in the comic.

The problem is his backstory is still tied down with Smallville then; Lionel killing his parents, stuck on the island with Tess, forming the League, female Speedy etc

They can do 10000x more of a service to the GA character by starting fresh with a take that's on par with "The Longbow Hunters" and the modern Green Arrow stuff.

This way they have the freedom to start over, instead of being confined to the Smallville universe; which is hit and miss.

Hell, even Al/Miles made the Aquaman pilot into a separate thing from Smallville. It wasn't a spinoff. Hartley's Aquaman was different than the 'A.C.' from "Aqua" on SV.

I actually thought the Aquaman pilot was really good and that it's a shame it didn't get the green light. I'm also not a big fan of the SV Aquaman either, I would rather AM be more like the JL/JLU version. I actually really like that GA also but the fact is SV's GA is pretty much a mix of GA and BM. But like all of the other charcters on SV I just try to go with the flow.

Last edited:
Smallville Oliver is still pretty akin to his comic counterpart. In his early appearances, he was stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. He's constantly bickering with Hawkman with their difference in methodology. He's most certainly a bit of a womanizer.

In JLU he refused to join the Justice League because they were big heroes who deal with alien invasions and monsters and forgot about the little guy.

In this case, the little guy is most of what Justice deals with. Of course Ollie wouldn't have a problem joining a few heroes that he helped bring together.

that's true. but i'm not sure if he can hold his own show. with out SV. I think i would rather watch (a brand new version) of flash, Martian manhunter, wonder woman,

i think they could easily do a ga solo show bring in canery, and speedy as supporting cast members and dive into more of ga's rich history and all that. It would be nice to see another dc show spin off from sv's universe to have it go on for a bit.

but would you prefer a spin off from smallville like cleveland show, or a complete disconnect like aquaman?

i would love to hear everyone's take on this. Would you prefer a GA that is from SV universe even if it nevers acknowledges it (outside of nods to fans), or a completely new take?

Last edited:
yea keep it in universe so then besides smallville characters maybe getting a guest spot once in awhile, we can continue sv stories too. Like say if its a green arrow show to get news paper articles talking about superman in action in metropolis and all that and other little things. Plus the hopeful appearances of past jl members and teamup episodes.

Just because he was given a background in Smallville doesn't mean u have to have all the other characters of Smallville returning.

I'm saying that Smallville has it's own universe and every single character has to be twerked in order to fit into it's universe. If they give GA his own spin-of, it could be the same origin used in Smallville... but it's still Green Arrow's own universe now, not SV's. Plus this would open it up for the other members of the League to make appearances as well and not have to spend a whole episode to set the character's up.

Take Oliver out of Metropolis... put him back in Star City. Expand Queen Industries. Add the relationship of him and Black Canary. Bring back Mia Dearden. Establish his own villains, perhaps even bring back Lex as a guest in a couple episodes. And, my friend, you have one kick-as* show right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"