Kong: Skull Island - Part 4

I’m not failing to understand anything, and I’ve mentioned that I like the film a lot. But my opinion is that King Kong 1933 is stronger because of those added aspects I mentioned. Godzilla works very well but is mostly remembered solely for Godzilla and his attack at the end of the film. Most don’t remember the actual plot of the film. King Kong is iconic in all aspects including its plot and characters. Let’s just agree to disagree at this point.

Sorry but this is not true. Most people remember Godzilla for its message of nuclear power and how mankind creates its own end. It’s a great message. And the reason why Godzilla stood the rest of time and is considered the best kaiju monster. Godzilla did t just attack at the end he kept coming back to attack

Thank You.

Speaking of which...look at this new statue they just revealed in Tokyo

5ab3ded02000007d06eb2b1f.jpeg

:D

Laser Penai Tail Godzirra. Ugh, ugly and dumb.

Always felt original King and original Godzilla were about equal in quality and resonance and every sequel from both simply swims in their respective wakes. None have reached those first films' heights in execution of themes or story.

Which isn't to say that there haven't been installments of those series that I haven't enjoyed for various reasons, not least of which is the simple visceral thrill of watching big ass monsters beat the crap out of each other. As long as they don't insult my intelligence too much and have decent performances from the actors I can't judge them too harshly, though there has been a pretentiousness to quite a few Big G films and the Jackson Kong that trips them up in my opinion.

Still... Very much looking forward to the eventual smack down between lizard and ape.

Finally watching this.

- Very nice opening, though I was confused at first do to time period. Then I realized it must be Wreck-it Ralph.

- I am enjoying the jukebox in this movie. But it does feel like they are trying to use the music to tell their story, because they have a very thin one.

- Brie Larson is the perfect human being.

- That being said, her dialogue is just so bad. They couldn't write anything better?

- I just realized her and Sam Jackson have been in like 4 movies together over the last 2 years. :funny:

- Tom Hiddleston's opening scene made me legitimately laugh. They didn't even try.

- They found the storm from Fury Road.

- Kong's CGI is not great, which has shocked me.

- That being said, his first scene is pretty great.

- They did the Kong in fire shot from 05. Nice.

- So Rosanne's husband couldn't just tell them they might be in mortal danger before making it to the island? Okay...

- Sam Jackson going from 0 to Kurtz in like 30 seconds is my new favorite thing. He is ****ing hilarious in this movie. The burial scene was hilarious dry.

- When encountering Kong, I wanted Domshev to hide Arnie in Predator style.

- So that thing was in the water and didn't even try to grab Domshev. Okay....

- John C. Reilly is so much fun.

- I can live with Brie Larson making adorable faces responding to this lunacy.

- They are just playing music to play music at this point... well at least it is good music. :funny:

- John C. Reilly is Rey, waiting for her parents to return. Marking it all over his walls.

Last edited:
The beautiful shots of Kong looking up at the outside world, all I could think of was this song:

- John C. Reilly's goodbye was both heartfelt and kind of hilarious.

- I love the weird mouth like opening they made for boats. That is some high level treehouse stuff.

- Brie Larson is now officially the wear of the best shirt in film history.

- The Weyland Yutani guy just got ripped apart by pterodactyls. :funny:

- I just now realized Loki is dressed like Nathan Drake. :hehe:

- The dog tags are made of vibranium I see.

- Poison Gas simply labelled poison gas.

- The katana fighting sequence... :lmao:

- A lighter is stronger then a flame thrower.

- I want Sam Jackson to survive just so he can hang those dog tags from his rear view mirror.

- Now they are doing Predator!

- The last fourth of this movie feels every extra. I thought for sure I was watching the finale during the crazy katana fight, but then that just ended and now there is like still 30 plus mins of movie left.

- JP brontosaurus sequence... I get you big K. She is so pretty.

- I genuinely forgot Domshev was dead. This movie really only needed about 5 characters.

- Nucky's brother's death is now my second favorite thing in a Kong movie.

- Also that kid wasted his "sacrifice" losing all the lead time he gave them.

- Dino jawbreaker fake out. BOOOOOOO!!!!

- A tanker is a much better ***** slapping weapon then a tree.

- A comically large flare from a much smaller flare gun > bullets.

- Kong now possessions the blades of chaos.

- Brie Larson is about to drown and she looks like she is trying not to laugh. :hehe:

- I wanted Kong to open up his hand and have Larson be jam so much.

- Kong is the Eye of Sauron? Okay he can beat Godzilla then.

- So John C. Reilly's character married a 10 year old before going to war... so that made me reevaluate his entire arc.

- Also how realistic is it that she didn't remarry and have a bunch of kids? :funny:

- The end credit sequence was so bad. It was basically the JL preview in BvS. :lmao:

Last edited:
I watched this again today and it wasn't very good. It looks great visually but the story and the characters could be better. The original and the two previous remakes are a lot better. Also the island and all the creatures looked more interesting in the 2005 remake than in this. Also Kong himself. He had more personality:

0360717-med.jpg

I love 2005 King Kong. Very underrated but overall I enjoy Skull Island more. More enjoyable watch and more fun. I also appreciate the different story

Skull Island is a lot of fun, and I still find myself re watching it to this day, but man do I still love that 2005 King Kong. Yeah the first half is kind of a slog, but I do believe the buildup is worth it once they get to the Island and we get to see all those insane creatures terrorizing and eating people.

The V-Rex fight is still one of my favorite battle scenes in any monster movie ever too

The 2005 was a slog to get through tho.
Its one of my favorite movies. Only bad thing is that the action scenes are a bit too over the top sometimes.

I watched King Kong Escapes not long ago. It was better than I expected. Better than King Kong vs Godzilla. Also the picture quality was great on Blu-Ray.

Last edited:
This is the best of MonsterVerse. I actually ended up enjoying this way more than I did last time. I remembered all over again why I had such a blast watching this in theaters. This was a fun romp with fast paced monster action but Vogt Roberts was able to inject so much style in this one. I'm sad that he hasn't done anything since. He needs to more stuff like this.

I think the character work is very under-rated here. We like mediocre CBMs for lot less. SLJ's Colonel Packard and Reilly's Marlowe were very well developed characters and both had very satisfying conclusions to their roles. The banter between Mills and Cole cracked me up every-time. Larson and Hiddleston does best with what they have which is not much but I liked them too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"