Lawrence Directing Snow and the Seven, Jet Li and Natalie Portman teaming up ?

I know there is no word on whether or not Portman would do this, but it seems very bleak at the moment. Anyway, I think maybe she wants a break from acting to focus on her family.

Saoirse Ronan in talks for the lead role.

Saoirse Ronan is in final talks to star in Disney's "Order of Seven," a project that was originally developed as a Kung Fu retelling of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs."

Ronan would play Olivia Sinclair, a British expat in 19th century Hong Kong, who seeks the protection of a centuries old group of warriors, now a jaded group of outlaws. After the reemergence of an ancient evil empress, Sinclair helps the warriors reclaim their destiny and noble roots.

What it's interesting is that they're looking for international knows stars to play the warriors.

Disney hopes to boost the international appeal of the pic by casting the roles of the warriors with well-known stars in China, Russia and Japan, creating a global team of heroes. Studio execs have been making trips to those territories to begin talks with local talent.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118050075

Great actress and even though this is yet another Snow White project it really is going with a different direction, up to the point where the fairy-tale aspect is stripped down and barely present, could be a good thing..or not. Btw the thread title needs an update.

Totally forgot about this one.

http://collider.com/order-of-seven-on-hold/168054/

Disney Puts a Hold on ORDER OF THE SEVEN

by Dave Trumbore Posted:May 22nd, 2012 at 5:22 pm

walt_disney_pictures_logo_slice_01.jpg
Just as production was about to roll on Disney’s action adventure, Order of the Seven, the studio put an indefinite hold on the project. Debut director Michael Gracey had plans to start shooting in London as early as this summer, but it looks like those plans have been put on ice. Order of the Seven, originally envisioned as a martial arts retelling of the story of Snow White, had set its star, Saoirse Ronan and was in the midst of assembling its international cast. Apparently, all work related to the project has ground to a halt. Even though the film had been in pre-production with cameras ready to roll this year, the project was never officially greenlit and no release date had been established by the studio. Hit the jump for more information behind the indefinite hold put on Order of the Seven.

Heat Vision reports that Disney is putting Order of the Seven on hold in order to further scrutinize the budgets. While no amounts have been disclosed, Order of the Seven presumably had a high enough price tag to warrant the stoppage in production, especially considering Disney’s big loss from John Carter earlier this year. Add into the mix the fact that previous studio head, Rich Ross, who stepped down after the John Carter debacle, was overseeing Order of the Seven and has yet to be replaced, along with the fact that the project has a debut director…it’s no wonder they decided to take a few breaths.

However, the studio recently hired Iron Man scribes, Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby to do a polish on the script, so all may not yet be lost. The story, which has seen a number of iterations over the decade-long development period, centers on a young woman (Ronan) in 19th century Hong Kong who escapes her wicked stepmother to take up sanctuary with a band of seven warriors tasked with defeating dragons and demons.

Last edited:
After John Carter, it's understandable (from a business sense) to put this risky project on hold.

It's strange that they were making yet another Snow White revision in the first place. I'm glad that they are cancelling it.

As much as I like Jet Li and Natalie Portman, do we really need yet another take on the classic Snow White story? :dry: However, substituting Shaolin Monks with the dwarves does sound intriguing.

The funny thing is that of all the Snow White project, this one has been in development the longest (for more than a decade if I'm not mistaken). Considering how long it has remain in development, maybe it's best for Disney to give up on this project.

Why does every damn movie need 200mil? John Carter would haven't killed it but nobody would have lost their jobs if the budget had been 100mil. I'm not saying that it's easy to do that but budgets have gotten way out of control, almost every big film costs 200-300mil now. Maybe the failure of Carter and Battleship will stop these out of control budgets which do not help the quality of the films BTW.

Damn, I think this was the adaptation I was looking forward too the most. Once I saw that the other Snow Whites were coming along sooner than this one though, it seemed pretty obvious it wouldn't make the cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"