Les Miserables: Even the thread will make you cry - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samantha Barks claimed her "newcomer" award at the Hollywood Awards and the producers were there and said this:

It was in fact surprising to see so many studio heads attending and staying through most of the evening. Universal was especially well-represented with Chairman Adam Fogelson and co-Chairman Donna Langley and President Ron Meyer out in force supporting Apatow, and Les Miserables and Anna Karenina Producers Award winners Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner. At the reception Meyer could not contain his enthusiasm for Les Miz, telling me it totally delivers in every way you would hope a film version of a Broadway musical can. He is clearly excited about this one. I asked if he regretted moving the film from Dec 14 to Christmas Day in light of the Academy’s announcement that voting dates for nominations are now December 17-Jan 3. “It’s just the right kind of movie to open at Christmas. I think everyone will find a way to see it, “ he said. Indeed Universal will be screening it extensively beginning Thanksgiving weekend. Meyer said the film is almost completely done.

And Seth Rogen made a funny re Les Mis:
After that Rogen came out to present the Comedy award to Apatow (his This Is 40 opens in December) and had the place rolling. “I would *beep* both of those guys,” he said referring to Cooper and Ford. “This is the first stop in the awards season for Comedy and the last stop. The funniest film ever could come out and we would still lose to Les Miserables.”

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/358432/

And from an awards blogger - will we really get a three-hour movie?

Jeff Sneider ‏@TheInSneider
Hearing Les Miserables is running close to 3 hrs & studio has no plans to cut it down. Guess fans will get the epic they've been waiting for

I REALLY hope some of this is online! Eddie is joining Anne at her show Wednesday night.
Yeah, me too. I'm excited about this event. I'm hoping for the three F's - feedback, footage and fotos. :woot:

And from an awards blogger - will we really get a three-hour movie?

Jeff Sneider ‏@TheInSneider
Hearing Les Miserables is running close to 3 hrs & studio has no plans to cut it down. Guess fans will get the epic they've been waiting for

I heard something similar about the runtime. :up:

Yeah, me too. I'm excited about this event. I'm hoping for the three F's - feedback, footage and fotos. :woot:
http://www.justjared.com/2012/10/23/anne-hathaway-studio-visit-with-eddie-redmayne/#comment-25654512

anne-hathaway-studio-visit-with-eddie-redmayne-01.jpg

anne-hathaway-studio-visit-with-eddie-redmayne-19.jpg

Interview with Hugh about personal stuff, his new movie "Rise of the Guardians" (he voices the Easter Bunny, out Nov. 21), and Les Mis - looks like it's from the press conference dressed as JVJ - here's the Les Mis part:

We’ve seen you lately on interesting pictures like rehearsing or training for being once again “The Sexiest Man Alive”…

(laughs) Training for it!

With this nice beard and interesting haircut…

Oh yes, for Les Miserables.

So how has that been for you?

I don’t think that’s getting me on the cover of any magazines that particular look. It’s been incredible. It’s an incredible film and project, I feel proud to be part of it, I think. I don’t know if I ever worked as hard on a film to be honest. I play Jean Valjean and you see him when he is age 39 or whatever it is as he gets released from prison after being essentially in a labor camp for 19 years and we needed to see that and then with the Mayor and the character that he becomes, so physically actually it was probably the most demanding. Vocally of course, we sang everything live, so it’s been incredible.

But it’s something you are used to? Singing live?

Yeah, but not at eight o’clock in the morning and then continuing till eight o’clock at night, I don’t think I ever will get used to it.

And how did you grow the beard or did you have extensions on?

(laughs) No. I slept. (laughs) It’s like two-thirds my beard because I was doing a one-man show on Broadway and I didn’t think that would be great, so I started the day I finished and I had enough of a beard for them to be able to attach this to it.
http://staticmultimedia.com/movies/...ckman-in-rise-of-the-guardians-les-miserables

"Hey, Marius, you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?"

"Enjolras, we're IN Paris."

"Oh...oh, yeah."

:)

Clear photo of Madame Thenardier:

Life's a real lucky dip for Helena Bonham Carter in Les Miserables
By Baz Bamigboye
PUBLISHED:16:33 EST, 25 October 2012| UPDATED: 16:35 EST, 25 October 2012.

Helena Bonham Carter has revealed she has a hidden, quite startling, talent.

'Not quite a talent . . . maybe a sideline,' she said, as she looked me over, casting furtive glances at my pockets.

'I can tell what's in there,' she said, pointing to my tuxedo breast pocket. Whatever was in the pocket was obscured by a red silk square. 'It's the bulge,' she said drily.

She then proceeded to correctly identify the make of mobile phone I had in the pocket, and where exactly I had placed my wallet and BlackBerry elsewhere on my person.

'How did you know?' I asked, flabbergasted. 'It's all down to Les Miserables,' she said. 'I'm playing Madame Thenardier. She's a bad sort and I learned how to pickpocket. I'm pretty good at it.'

Sacha Baron Cohen plays Helena's hubby Monsieur Thenardier in director Tom Hooper's screen version of the acclaimed stage musical written by Claude-Michel Schonberg, Alain Boublil and Herbert Kretzmer.

Helena and I were chatting at the BFI London Film Festival Awards, sponsored by American Express, that were being presented at Banqueting House, Whitehall, last Saturday.

Helena and her real-life partner Tim Burton were honoured with BFI Fellowships. Awards also went to Benh Zeitlin's glorious must-see movie Beasts Of The Southern Wild, which won the best first feature competition.

Helena said she took the role in Les Miz because she likes to sing in places other than the bath. When I visited the set several months ago, she and Sacha were belting out the Master Of The House number. Les Miserables is now being scored at Abbey Road studios in St John's Wood.

At the Skyfall after party this week, I bumped into Cameron Mackintosh, who's producing Les Miserables along with Eric Fellner and Tim Bevan of Working Title, and Debra Hayward. And he told me that because the cast sang live during filming, the music was being added to match the sung vocals.

'It's painstaking, but we'll be finished soon,' he promised.

The picture is expected to feature big time in the forthcoming awards season, and voters from Bafta, Oscar, Screen Actors Guild, the Hollywood Foreign Press's Golden Globes and all the film trade guilds need to see it within the next month or so.

Time is of the essence, because the Academy Award nominations are being announced on January 10.

article-2223269-15AEE006000005DC-268_634x521.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...Les-Miserables-star-Helena-Bonham-Carter.html

So much for the Les Mis rumor of 3 hours:

Michael Moses ‏@michael_moses
Time for a little clarity. End credits aren't on yet but the running time of LES MISÉRABLES without them is 2:32.

The tweeter:

Michael Moses
@michael_moses

Universal Picture Pusher. Photo by Olan Mills Studio.
Los Angeles

Eddie with Harvey Fierstein and another of Anne.

3.179878.jpg
3.179877.jpg

http://www.broadway.com/photos/anne...t-joes-pub-in-starry-cabaret-benefit-concert/

This was on IMDB with no link to the story.

“This show is called ‘Perfectly Marvelous,’ but it may be imperfectly marvelous,” said a nervous Anne Hathaway on Wednesday night at Joe’s Pub. “We’ve only had a day and a half of rehearsals.” She needn’t have been so hard on herself as she presented an evening of songs at Joe’s Pub from the 1966 Broadway musical “Cabaret” with a stellar group of friends, including Audra McDonald, Eddie Redmayne, Linda Lavin, Harvey Fierstein, and Bryce Pinkham. By the time Hathaway finished a raucous version of the famous title song, the packed audience rose to give her and the cast a spontaneous standing ovation.

The one-night-only event at the intimate 161-seat venue became the hottest ticket in town when it was announced earlier this fall that Hathaway had approached Oskar Eustis, the artistic director of the Public, with the idea of a concert of “Cabaret.” The production, directed by Ted Sperling, was part of the month-long re-dedication on the Public, which is celebrating its 50th Anniversary. But it was also, Hathaway told the audience, the realization of a long-life dream to play the “divinely decadent” Sally Bowles, the free-spirited cabaret singer in 1931 Weimar Germany who is blithely unaware of the coming storm. “I grew up listening to these songs,” said the New Jersey native.

With a short-cropped bob, bra-less in a black sleeveless top and black shorts over patterned black stockings, she was a terrifically convincing Sally from her come-hither stare to her fingernails painted bright green. Like the rest of the cast, she played multiple roles, even donning at one point a pink tutu and gloves in the shape of simian paws to impersonate the dancing gorilla in the number, “If You Could See Her Through My Eyes,” sung by Bryce Pinkham. Not much later she sang in her bell-like soprano “I Don’t Care Much” with dramatic intensity, no doubt egged on by the fact that Audra McDonald had just knocked it out of the park with a rousing and unforgettable “Maybe This Time.

After McDonald’s stirring performance, Hathaway quipped, “The only problem with doing a show with Audra McDonald is doing a show with Audra McDonald.” Hathaway added that both had recently gotten married, she to actor-designer Adam Shulman and McDonald to actor Will Swenson. She then indicated the appropriateness of the song “Married” on the roster. But, in deference to New York’s gay marriage law, Hathaway added that she and McDonald had decided to sing it lovingly to each other. In one of the show’s emotional highlights, they were joined by duets between Redmayne and Pinkham, and Lavin and Fierstein.

While the entire cast was in top form, most surprising was Redmayne (“Red,” “My Week with Marilyn”), who co-stars with Hathaway in Tom Hooper’s film version of the musical “Les Miserables,” slated for a holiday release. He acquitted himself admirably as Cliff, the American writer who hopelessly falls in love with Sally in “Why Should I Wake Up” and in a duet with Hathaway on “Perfectly Marvelous.”

At a post-performance reception in the Library — the Public’s new restaurant designed by David Rockwell, which is part of the $40 million restoration of the historic building — Redmayne admitted that he had been “terrified.” “The microphone was literally shaking in my hand,” said the 30-year-old actor, noting that he launched his career fifteen years ago with a performance as the emcee in a production at the Edinburgh Festival. Hathaway also admitted to a bad case of the shakes before going on, notably because in the audience were two the creators of “Cabaret” — composer John Kander and librettist Joe Masteroff. Wreathed with compliments from them, Hathaway was relieved to the point of tears. Also in the audience and at the party afterwards was movie magnate Harvey Weinstein who was equally complimentary.

Which, of course, brings up the question: If there is to be a remake of the film “Cabaret,” would Hathaway be a front runner for the part of Sally Bowles? There has been chatter from time to time, but it’s a daunting proposal. Bob Fosse’s 1972 classic, which won an Oscar for Liza Minnelli, is listed on AFI’s top 100 greatest movies and ranks 5th among the best film musicals ever made. But if a producer, say Weinstein, was to make the plunge, last night proved that Hathaway deserves a shot at the role. Maybe this time…..

Courtesy Total Film magazine - win tickets to the London premiere.

Win prizes every day to celebrate the 200th issue of Total Film magazine!
Kicking off with tickets to the premiere of Les Misérables!
Oct 26th 2012 By Total Film

Total Film magazine is a whopping 200 issues old, and to celebrate we’re giving away some incredible prizes!

There will be a new competition for every day that issue 200 is on sale, running right up until 22 November 2012.

And to kick things off, today we’re offering you the chance to win a pair of tickets to the world premiere of Les Misérables in London.

Yes, you could be strutting down the red carpet with Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway and Eddie Redmayne, to see a film that’s set to be sure-fire Oscar bait.

Oh, and we’re also throwing in hotel accommodation, a restaurant meal, UK travel expenses and £500 to spend on a red-carpet outfit.

Enter the Les Misérables premiere competition now!

Terms and conditions apply. See competition page for full details.

Keep an eye on all of our Total Film 200 competitions at totalfilm.com/competitions
Here's the one question to enter, then film out a form.

WIN! Tickets to the world premiere of Les Misérables!

Win 2 tickets to the world premiere of Les Misérables! Walk the red carpet with Anne Hatheway, Eddie Redmayne and Hugh Jackman at the premiere of one of the year's most anticipated films!

Plus accommodation in a four star hotel, a meal at a London restaurant, UK travel, and £500 to spend on a red carpet outfit!

To be in with a chance of winning just answer this simple question:
Closing date: 22/11/2012

Which character is Hugh Jackman playing in the upcoming film, Les Misérables?
The Wolverine
Jean Valjean
Javert
http://www.totalfilm.com/news/win-p...ebrate-the-200th-issue-of-total-film-magazine

Please Anne take your cabaret show on the road. Toronto is just a few hours away ...

Hugh Jackman on Russell Crowe, ‘Les Miz’ costars
By Ruben V. Nepales
Philippine Daily Inquirer
October 26, 2012 | 10:31 pm

LOS ANGELES—As promised, we continue our report on our “Les Miserables” (the much-awaited film adaptation of the stage musical) set visit last May. This time, we are featuring excerpts from our interview with Hugh Jackman:

Hugh, in full costume as Jean Valjean, talked to us during a shooting break at UK’s Pinewood studios. Russell Crowe (Javert), Anne Hathaway (Fantine) and Amanda Seyfried (Cosette) also star in the musical, directed by Tom Hooper and produced by Cameron Mackintosh, based on Victor Hugo’s novel.

Hugh described the scene that we were about to watch: “Today’s the barricade scene, so we’re in the midst of the revolution. The students are there amid the barricade, and my character disguises himself as a soldier to sneak past them and comes in as a volunteer to get behind. What he’s really doing is he’s coming to find Marius, because he’s intercepted a letter from Marius to Cosette, my daughter, declaring his love, and it says, ‘Now, I know you love me, too.’ So, this is where I finally meet the boy and I get embroiled in this fight.”

We heard Hugh sing live (the cast performs the songs live, which sets this movie musical apart) in take after take of this scene, so that tune lingered in our mind for days.

Not only did Hugh sing live on the first day of the shoot; he crooned in freezing temperature in the Alps. He said, “We started in the Alps, which was fantastic, because we were in an area in France that the book is set in.

“Literally, there was no acting required. You can see the steam, you can hear the cold in my voice as I’m singing. The brilliance, the guts of Cameron, Tom and of everyone to decide to have the songs sung live right through gives the songs immediacy—we discovered that on the very first day.”

On singing with his fellow Aussie, Russell Crowe, Hugh remarked, “Remember, we had seven weeks of rehearsal. You can’t turn up at a musical and just hope to do it.”

Effortless presence

“I can’t imagine anyone other than Russell playing Javert,” Hugh said. “He brings such weight and strength. There’s an effortless presence about Russell that commands attention, which is great for Javert.

“Russell’s a great actor. I’ve always believed great actors make other actors look good. I can tell you from acting with him that it feels as easy a job as I’ve ever had, because he’s so present and connected.”

Hugh said that he’s been friends with Russell for a long time. He revealed, “Privately, he’ll never tell you, but he’s been very helpful to me on a few occasions, ‘Wolverine’ being one of them. He was offered that part, and he suggested me to Bryan (Singer, director).

“I’ve also rang him a few times on life and career choices. I asked his advice, and he has always been helpful.”

Brilliant guitarist

Hugh stressed that Russell is musically inclined. “He’s a brilliant guitarist, so he can back anyone up. On one of the first nights he was here, he rang up at nine in the evening. He goes, ‘Do you want to have a bit of a sing?’ I was like ‘Oh yeah!’ So, we went to his place and started singing.”

Hugh was equally effusive in his praise of his female co-stars, including Samantha Barks. He recounted, “I walked on the set as Samantha was doing the last take of the big song, ‘On My Own.’ The applause on that set was so massive from everybody. They’d been standing in the rain for five hours. It gave me the chills. This movie is going to launch Samantha in a massive way.”

Of Anne Hathaway, Hugh said, “I’ve sung with Anne at the Oscars. Annie has been singing since she was 8 years old. If she weren’t a movie star, she would have done Broadway now for at least 10 years. She is the real deal. When she turned up at rehearsal, I knew that Annie could sing. She’s extraordinary!

“Amanda (Seyfried) is also fantastic in this,” Hugh added. “And the little girl who plays the young Cosette—oh my God, your heart will break for Izzie (Isabelle Allen)! She’s never been in a film before.”

E-mail [email protected]. Follow him at http://twitter.com/nepalesruben.
http://entertainment.inquirer.net/64720/hugh-jackman-on-russell-crowe-les-miz-costars

Anyone here from the UK? Apparently there's a new trailer playing in some theaters in front of "Skyfall".

Is Bond Universal? If so then that could be when we get the trailer in the States too.

Is Bond Universal? If so then that could be when we get the trailer in the States too.
The production company for Bond is MGM and the distributor in the US is Columbia and Sony in the UK.

I've seen plenty movies with trailers that weren't from the same company so that doesn't really have anything to do with it.

Anyone here from the UK? Apparently there's a new trailer playing in some theaters in front of "Skyfall".

I saw Skyfall today and there was a trailer in front of it I don't know if it was new or not.

I saw Skyfall today and there was a trailer in front of it I don't know if it was new or not.
If it wasn't the teaser that we've been seeing since May with Anne singing throughout or the feature explaining the singing process, it's new.

If it wasn't the teaser that we've been seeing since May with Anne singing throughout or the feature explaining the singing process, it's new.

It was the new trailer, you see some footage Hugh and Russell singing.

It was the new trailer, you see some footage Hugh and Russell singing.

:awesome:

Can you share any more details? This film's marketing is getting really strange, though.

Last edited:
:awesome:

Can you share any more details?

Keep in mind I don't know much about Les Miserables story plus it's not that different than the other trailer but the newer elements are:

It starts with a little girl lost in the woods (who I assume is Anne Hathaway''s daughter)
Eddie Redmayne and Amanda Seyfried singing together.
People standing on a blocade.

That's all I can remember, but yeah I got a little teary eyed during the trailer so I might have to see this in the cinema.

Someone at the whatsonstage.com MB said this:

I saw Skyfall earlier (it's brilliant!) and I also saw the new Les Mis trailer. It's quite a lot longer than the previous one, and we see Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen. One Day More, On My Own and Do You Hear The People Sing? are all heard in the trailer, One Day More for the longest as it is played over the top, as well as I Dreamed a Dream. It really does look great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"