Living In Parents Basement.

He also mentioned an exgf getting tired of his lack of motivation which was kinda the basis of this thread.

What women in their 20s and 30s would sign up for that?

I'm not going to say it, I'm not going to say it... nngh...

Ifonlyhe'dwalkawayfromhisparents'home.

Dammit! I said it...:doh:

You can invite him to stay with you? lol

I didn't comment on Mace's post but I do concur with other posters. It isn't that I look down at people with "failure to launch" syndrome as much as I see how much damage it can do to them down the road and that concerns me. My uncle was like that. He lived at home until my grandfather kicked him out in his late 20s. He moved in with my great grandmother and lived with them until she died and left him everything she owned. He had no idea how to manage bills or a house or anything and within a year he quit his job and lost the house that his grandmother had lived in for years... destroyed its condition prior to that... and blew every inch of the money she'd left him on movies. Then, as he was packing things away, he found a bunch of money that my great grandmother had hidden away in nooks and crannies and moved to California to get his movie making career started (at around 45 years of age). He was rejected by one person and just lived off the money until he was kicked out of his aparment and became homeless for two weeks. He had to call my grandfather and have him pay for a way for him to get back home.

It's been about 15 or so years since then and he's lived with people more than not, has lost somewhere around 9 jobs, and jumps from apartment to apartment because he's never learned how to manage money and live responsibly.

In fact, it's to the point where my grandparents are preparing their home for one of their daughters (because they sure aren't leaving it to my uncle) and my mom is terrified of taking it because the whole family knows that whoever gets the house will ultimately have to take in my uncle Danny, likely for the rest of his life.

It's freaking sad and I hate seeing people start down that path. I'm not saying Mace is heading this direction but by the time you're in your 30s, still living at home, with seemingly no initiative to better yourself... things aren't looking good. And I say these things, not to criticise or belittle Mace, but to encourage him to become more responsible for his friends and familys' relief, as well as his own. He's better than that.

Last edited:
I've been away at work so have been away from a computer and yes I agree with the minority that it is as simple as you all are looking down on Mace. I don't know why people have to be so judgemental. Maybe his parents like having him there. But back to my situation I'm thinking of saying thank you to my parents and moving out with the next couple of months. I know I can sit up here and save and don't spend a penny the next couple of years for a house, I want some freedom now and will just have to have my parents on my bad side for a while. I'm tired of staying at motels when I need a break from home.

Will you be able to save money for a house while living in an apartment?

I didn't comment on Mace's post but I do concur with other posters. It isn't that I look down at people with "failure to launch" syndrome as much as I see how much damage it can do to them down the road and that concerns me. My uncle was like that. He lived at home until my grandfather kicked him out in his late 20s. He moved in with my great grandmother and lived with them until she died and left him everything she owned. He had no idea how to manage bills or a house or anything and within a year he quit his job and lost the house that his grandmother had lived in for years... destroyed its condition prior to that... and blew every inch of the money she'd left him on movies. Then, as he was packing things away, he found a bunch of money that my great grandmother had hidden away in nooks and crannies and moved to California to get his movie making career started (at around 45 years of age). He was rejected by one person and just lived off the money until he was kicked out of his aparment and became homeless for two weeks. He had to call my grandfather and have him pay for a way for him to get back home.

It's been about 15 or so years since then and he's lived with people more than not, has lost somewhere around 9 jobs, and jumps from apartment to apartment because he's never learned how to manage money and live responsibly.

In fact, it's to the point where my grandparents are preparing their home for one of their daughters (because they sure aren't leaving it to my uncle) and my mom is terrified of taking it because the whole family knows that whoever gets the house will ultimately have to take in my uncle Danny, likely for the rest of his life.

It's freaking sad and I hate seeing people start down that path. I'm not saying Mace is heading this direction but by the time you're in your 30s, still living at home, with seemingly no initiative to better yourself... things aren't looking good. And I say these things, not to criticise or belittle Mace, but to encourage him to become more responsible for his friends and familys' relief, as well as his own. He's better than that.

Eh, that seems more like your uncle just being a loser than anything being blamed on living with family his whole life.

Will you be able to save money for a house while living in an apartment?

No, but I mean plans rarely go on schedule so I'm thinking about just getting out now. I will have a much easier time getting a house with a girlfriend. That won't happen sleeping downstairs next to my xbox

No, but I mean plans rarely go on schedule so I'm thinking about just getting out now. I will have a much easier time getting a house with a girlfriend.
I mean that depends do you have money set aside now? If you can't save for a house while you have an apartment, unless you expect your future gf to plop down the down payment, how is that going to work?

That won't happen sleeping downstairs next to my xbox
You're not the first or last guy to try and bang a girl in his parents' house.

I'm sure your parents would encourage you to sleep with as many women as possible under their roof.

My brother's in his mid-30's and he never stopped bringing girls back to our grandparents' house. He used to be able to get away with sneaking them in, banging them, and sneaking them out while everyone slept. Then when I started waking up for work in the middle of the night, however...

My brother's in his mid-30's and he never stopped bringing girls back to our grandparents' house. He used to be able to get away with sneaking them in, banging them, and sneaking them out while everyone slept. Then when I started waking up for work in the middle of the night, however...

This paired with your avatar is hilarious. It's like "I've seen some ****."

This whole stigma about living at home when "you should be out on your own" is primarely a stupid american idea. Most intelligent societies understand the importance of family and saving money, making smart economical decisions and not feeding some sort of delusional idea that the second you hit 18 you need to be100% dependant on no one.

I mean that depends do you have money set aside now? If you can't save for a house while you have an apartment, unless you expect your future gf to plop down the down payment, how is that going to work?

I try to everytime I go back home to visit my family for the Holidays back up in PA :woot:

NickNitro said:
Erzengel said:
I try to everytime I go back home to visit my family for the Holidays back up in PA
Interesting....

He gets off on it C. Lee.

"Yeah baby, yeah I hope mom and dad can hear this."

This whole stigma about living at home when "you should be out on your own" is primarely a stupid american idea. Most intelligent societies understand the importance of family and saving money, making smart economical decisions and not feeding some sort of delusional idea that the second you hit 18 you need to be100% dependant on no one.

That's a pretty good point. I have a friend whose family members traditionally don't move out until they get married. I'm struggling to find a way out of my own home, and he's looking at me like I'm the crazy one.

A balance is key. Even in more communal societies, there's a danger of spoiling the kids and letting them be too complacent.

My sister studied abroad in Italy for half a year, and over there, the younger men are having trouble getting married. They want someone like their mother, who stays at home and cooks for them all day. Whereas younger women want to work. Whether the women aren't good enough for the men or vice versa, is unclear but there be the conundrum. :funny:

I live with my two sisters and my mom. This is mostly because financially, none of us can make it on our own. But the way we live in the house is almost like a dorm. We all essentially pay rent and help with the bills. So it's not like I'm living at home and my mom is doing my laundry and cooking meals. She doesn't do **** for me lol.

Same with me. My family made up the basement into a living area. We pay a portion of the rent, do our own laundry and cooking (though we combine at times for a nice meal together), we keep up after ourselves, etc. We're essentially renting the basement while sharing the bathroom and kitchen. I'm also chipping in by helping teach my younger brother and sister how to drive since Mom is terrified of riding in a car with a new driver.

He gets off on it C. Lee.

"Yeah baby, yeah I hope mom and dad can hear this."

That's bad enough, but I think you missed the point I was trying to make....

Erzengelly says - You're not the first or last guy to try and bang a girl in his parents' house.
Nick replies - I try to everytime I go back home to visit my family

So.....is Nicky saying that everytime he visits his family, he tries to bang one of the girls in his family?:wow:

Same with me. My family made up the basement into a living area. We pay a portion of the rent, do our own laundry and cooking (though we combine at times for a nice meal together), we keep up after ourselves, etc. We're essentially renting the basement while sharing the bathroom and kitchen. I'm also chipping in by helping teach my younger brother and sister how to drive since Mom is terrified of riding in a car with a new driver.

I equate it to Joey and Jesse living in Danny's house on Full House.

That's bad enough, but I think you missed the point I was trying to make....

Erzengelly says - You're not the first or last guy to try and bang a girl in his parents' house.
Nick replies - I try to everytime I go back home to visit my family

So.....is Nicky saying that everytime he visits his family, he tries to bang one of the girls in his family?:wow:

Oh my.:wow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"