Luke Cage Luke Cage General Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it sounds silly, but, as a black man, I've been waiting for Luke Cage to get his chance in the spotlight for almost as long as I've been reading comic books.

Black characters have rarely gotten the star treatment, but with Luck, Black Panther, Falcon, War Machine and even Cyborg being in big budge movies/TV shows, it's nice to see heroes of color getting proper representation and not just as "tokens", but as equal heroes.

Now if the "Big Two" could just work on getting viable high profile black female and Hispanic man/women heroes then we'll REALLY be talking.

Does Marvel even have any high profile Hispanic heroes? And by "high profile" I'll accept down to C-list.

White Tiger. If that's the name I'm thinking of.

Trying to think...
-White Tiger
-Miles Morales Spidey (mixed)
-Miss America Chavez
-Sunspot
-Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider
-Cecilia Reyes (no relation)

So yeah, representation for Black characters has come a long way (though still not perfect)
but I'm always surprised we don't hear more about representation for Latinos, who are the largest minority group and also the largest growing group in the US

There's also
Feral from New Mutants
and half latinos
Nova (Sam Alexander)
Darwin
There's a bunch of other D, F, G level heroes but also a lot of villains.

I know it sounds silly, but, as a black man, I've been waiting for Luke Cage to get his chance in the spotlight for almost as long as I've been reading comic books.

Black characters have rarely gotten the star treatment, but with Luck, Black Panther, Falcon, War Machine and even Cyborg being in big budge movies/TV shows, it's nice to see heroes of color getting proper representation and not just as "tokens", but as equal heroes.

Now if the "Big Two" could just work on getting viable high profile black female and Hispanic man/women heroes then we'll REALLY be talking.

We're getting Robbie Reyes' Ghostrider on Agents of SHIELD this season and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his own show...even if it's just a mini series.

Does Marvel even have any high profile Hispanic heroes? And by "high profile" I'll accept down to C-list.

I don't think whether or not the characters are high profile or not matters anymore. Marvel made Guardians of the Galaxy work as a film and those characters were downright obscure.

With Marvel's diversity push I'm surprised they have not used Hispanic superheroes Living Lightning and Firebird more in recent years.

Living Lightning and Firebird were both Avengers. Firebird is a devout Catholic and Living Lightning is a gay.

Living Lightning first appeared in 1990 and Firebird in 1981.

Marvel has created original diverse superheroes it just seems like they forget about them or don't think it is worth putting a spotlight on them unless it will grab headlines.

I don't think whether or not the characters are high profile or not matters anymore. Marvel made Guardians of the Galaxy work as a film and those characters were downright obscure.

With all due respect, if a character is getting a movie made it don't think they can be considered low profile or obscure anymore.

Honestly, I Marvel's or DC has never used either a black women or Hispanic super hero in their movies (unless you count the constantly misused Storm or no-dialogue Sunspot).

Are we talking exclusively about movies? Even so, we'll get Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie soon. In the TV realm, this is the Luke Cage forum so, obviously, Misty Knight.

Zoe Saldana plays Gamora although she is an alien.

Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie is coming up.

Lupita Nyong'o and Danai Gurira as Nakia and Okoye in Black Panther. Technically they are bodyguards rather than superheroes.

Angel Salvadore in X-Men First Class.

Maria Hill is part Hispanic in the comics. Not sure if she is in the movies as it has never come up.

Amanda Waller was in Suicide Squad.

Philippus may be in Wonder Woman. We don't know yet. There are black Amazons in the movie as seen in the trailer and set pictures.

Mostly the minority characters are less well known so end up on TV. Vixen and Vibe were probably not going to get movies anytime soon which is why they ended up on TV.

The X-Men has the most diverse line up in Marvel comics.

Last edited:
Zoe Saldana plays Gamora although she is an alien.

You already provided my response.

Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie is coming up.

This is a good thing, but the movie hasn't come out yet and it's a "hand me down" character.

Lupita Nyong'o and Danai Gurira as Nakia and Okoye in Black Panther. Technically they are bodyguards rather than superheroes.

I'm looking forward to this as well, but the movie hasn't come out yet.

Angel Salvadore in X-Men First Class.

I'll give you this one, but the X-Men franchise has screwed up so many characters, I'm not sure if this is a good thing. Plus, they didn't even cast a hispanic woman for this hispanic role.

Maria Hill is part Hispanic in the comics. Not sure if she is in the movies as it has never come up.

Well, they cast as lily-white women (a Canadian actually) for the role.

Amanda Waller was in Suicide Squad.

Super hero, not supporting character

Philippus may be in Wonder Woman. We don't know yet. There are black Amazons in the movie as seen in the trailer and set pictures.

SUPER HERO NOT SUPPORTING CHARACTER.

Mostly the minority characters are less well known so end up on TV. Vixen and Vibe were probably not going to get movies anytime soon which is why they ended up on TV.

Vixen who only gets a web cartoon and one-off appearance. We'll see if they do better in LoT.

The X-Men has the most diverse line up in Marvel comics.

And the movies, and comics, have shortchanged them for years. Storm is the most "high profile" of them and Halle Berry has destroyed the character.

This still proves my point that we still haven't had an "original" African American female character or Hispanic character headline multimedia projects. Hell, they barely let them carry a long running comic series.

Are we talking exclusively about movies? Even so, we'll get Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie soon. In the TV realm, this is the Luke Cage forum so, obviously, Misty Knight.

Both haven't premiered soon, but let's be clear:

In the Marvel Studios movies to date, only ONE African American female woman has spoken any lines (Civil War).

While I can see they are taking strides to rectify that, that it happened in and of itself is still troubling.

Blame Ike Perlmutter for that

Trailer is here!

[YT]hfJvnb4H3TE[/YT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great and love the nod to the original look. Can't wait.

The bracelets and tiara!!!!!!!!

Marvel has done it again. Unbelievable. They can do no wrong

much like gotg...it looks like luke's soundtrack will be a welcome addition to the story.

tumblr_obnafyo3Bd1usws96o1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"