"Make America Great Again"the F'dup Chapters in American History (The Trump Years) - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You kind of just proved my point. Presidents don't publicly disagree with the sitting Supreme Court. It doesn't really happen the fact that you think they do is in part because Obama normalized this type of behavior and it wasn't just the State of the Union it was the whole run up to the rulings on the ACA. If you recall he called them "an unelected group of people" and that it would be unprecedented if they overturned a law passed by a democratically elected Congress. I would say calling them "an unelected group of people" is discrediting the whole court and their power to rule on the constitutionality of legislation.

W. commented on rulings that went against him like this:

And he often criticized rulings at the state level dealing with gay marriage referring to them as activist judges but not the Supreme Court.

Reagan criticized a 1962 decision on school prayer and called for an amendment and said the courts threw God out of schools.

I have no problem with presidents publicly disagreeing with the Supreme Court.

Obama rightfully criticized Supreme Court for their Citizens United ruling. It did nothing but hurt our democracy.

Trump's goals are not to protect democracy. He's not minimizing the supreme court in the hopes that the public will push back against an undemocratic ruling.

We're talking about undermining the Judiciary Branch so he can push through unconstitutional policy after policy.

Trump has gone on record saying the first amendment offers "too much protection". He has advocated making it easier to sue the press. He wanted to strip flag burners of their citizenship and jail them. He has encouraged beating up protestors. He actually had an executive order to ban Muslims in a less obvious way. He has advocated extreme torture beyond waterboarding.

All of these are incredibly unconstitutional and borderline fascist yet you bring up the one time Obama justifiably spoke out against the Citizens United ruling.

Because that set the stage for what Trump is doing and advocating. No, the only ones setting the stage for Trump's authoritarianism is people like you.

Questioning the Supreme Court to help democracy survive and undermining the Supreme Court to destroy democracy and usher in fascism are two completely different things.

And blaming the former for the latter is pretty low.

I can see a charming, handsome more politically savvy version of Trump attempting to discredit the courts and the free press. And making legitimate headway in consolidating more power within the executive branch. Regardless of who succeeds the Orange Lump of Feces in Chief, the office of the president needs to be taken down a notch or three.

Possibly taking the Executive Branch is all the Democrats have.

Thanks to gerrymandering and voter restrictions, I doubt they take back the Legislative Branch any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"