Man From U.N.C.L.E movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
''Given a number of recent big-budget flops, such as The Lone Ranger (whose cast includes Armie Hammer, slated to play Illya Kuryakin) and R.I.P.D., some caution would be in order.''

bravo hollywood. lets all be suprised that RIPD bombed.

I mean, I can't see why this movie would cost anything $150 plus. We're not dealing with big stars here with big demands, and if they play it smart, it can be done with 100-120 million or less, unless there's a lot of travel.

I mean, Oblivion costed $130 and that's a big sci-fi film. (Thanks Lousiana for the tax breaks). And 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' has a $120 million budget, along with 'The Wolverine'.

maybe some producers wanted a big budget to get a big amount of money in their pocket.

Last edited:
I think that's one of the problems with 'OLD Hollywood'. People always look at the actors, but it's the producers who are always banking.

I think it'll be cool to see a movie like this, but honestly, if the movie falls apart, I wouldn't cry either. I think a 'period' spy-fi piece like this would be a novelty, and it would be nice to see Cavill headlining. Perhaps, this could be a great character piece for Hammer too, to show that they can pull off an accent.

anyway, by this rate, they need to shoot ASAP since Cavill is probably going to start Batman/Superman early next year.

Last edited:
Elizabeth Debicki From 'The Great Gatsby' Joins Guy Ritchie's 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.'

There was a lot of things that didn't work in Baz Luhrmann's glitter factory "The Great Gatsby," but one thing that stood clear and strong was Elizabeth Debicki. More than anyone else in the cast, the rising actress got across the Jazz Age attitude with ease, and still portraying the empty vanity of her character without giving up her presence on screen. And it seems Warner Bros. liked what they saw too because they're lining up another tentpole for her.

Debicki has joined Guy Ritchie's "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." The long-brewing big screen version of the TV show, which has been through bumps and hurdles along the way, is now taking a much different shape than the previous incarnations that had George Clooney and Tom Cruise attached to star. Instead, WB is hoping a proven director can make the young, talented but unproven cast shine as Debicki joins Henry Cavill (yes, he was in "Man Of Steel," but outside of that movie he is still an unknown quantity), Armie Hammer (coming off the flop "The Lone Ranger") and Alicia Vikander (who shone in last year's "A Royal Affair").

To recap: Cavill is taking the role of Napoleon Solo, with Hammer as his wingman Illya Kuryakin and Vikander as the still unnamed female lead. Debicki will get to vamp somewhat again, taking an unspecified femme fatale role. No release date yet for the film but it seems like they're getting things together to start filming soon, perhaps before Cavill has to report back for duty on "Superman Vs. Batman" or whatever they'll call it. [Variety]

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/jordan-baker-from-the-great-gatsby-joins-guy-ritchies-the-man-from-uncle-20130731

Debicki really stood out in Gatsby, she was fantastic. Glad to see more from her.

Although I would prefer they don't do this, the first thing they could do to work to a reduced budget is to get rid of the 60s setting. However, I would still like to see that if possible.

Filming starts in september with a 75 million dollar budget:

In a lengthy article on variety talking about the ups and downs of getting a movie made based on the popular '60s spy show show the man from u.n.c.l.e., a project that's gone through many incarnations, directors and stars over the past few years, they're reporting that plans are set to start shooting in early september with director guy ritchie confirmed at the helm and starring henry cavill (man of steel) and armie hammer (the lone ranger) in the roles of u.n.c.l.e. Agents Napoleon Solo and illya kuryakin, respectively.

Warner bros. Hopes to turn the film into a franchise despite the falling out of tom cruise in late may and a paring down of the production budget to $75 million. Plans are to shoot the film in ritchie's native london and in italy working from a script written by ritchie with his sherlock holmes collaborator, writer and producer lionel wigram, acting as the origin story to tell how the two spies, one american and russian, first met and started working together. Those roles were originally played by robert vaughn (solo) and david mccalllum (kurayakin) in the original series.

You can read the full extended story about how this project came together despite having been in development bad place and losing previous directors and stars like steven soderbergh and george clooney over at Variety

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=107240

Is there a new program coding on this site that deCAPS anything that's upper-cased? Even when it's a person's name or whatever?

Elizabeth Debicki From 'The Great Gatsby' Joins Guy Ritchie's 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.'

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...oins-guy-ritchies-the-man-from-uncle-20130731

Wow, did Debicki's publicist write that article?

YEAH SO THE GREAT GATSBY TOTALLY SUCKED AND NOTHING WORKED BUT ELIZABETH DEBICKI WAS THE ONE SHINING LIGHT IN THAT VAST SEA OF BULLSH**. NOW SHE JOINS THE FORTHCOMING TRAINWRECK MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. WITH LOSERS HENRY CAVILL (WHO PLAYED SUPERMAN BUT HASN'T DONE ANYTHING ELSE) AND ARMIE HAMMER (WHO DID HIS BEST TO MAKE SURE THE LONE RANGER FLOPPED). AT LEAST DEBICKI, WHO RECENTLY DELIVERED A STANDOUT, OSCAR-WORTHY PERFORMANCE IN A ROYAL AFFAIR WILL BE THE ONE SAVING GRACE OF THIS ALREADY TERRIBLE MOVIE. THEY BETTER FILM IT QUICK BEFORE CAVILL HAS TO GO PUT HIS TIGHTS BACK ON AND FIGHT BATMAN OR SOMETHING.

I like the Playlist, but their writing can be a bit wonky. Also, as much I love indie movies, they're too high minded. I mean, I can be too, but they're just too dismissive in general. For God's sakes, they place Stoker and Place Beyond the Pines on their 'Worst of 2013'. It's awful.

Well, to be fair, I watched about a half hour of Stoker on a plane and I turned it off. I really thought it was terrible. And that surprised me because I like all of the actors in it. But even they felt... off to me.

But I'll probably give it another shot. Sometimes watching a movie on a crappy little screen on an airplane makes it seem worse than it is.

It's not a perfect movie, but it aint one of the worst movies of the year.

Yeah, I'm sure of that. I mean, this year has already had A Haunted House, RIPD and Grown Ups 2. Stoker would have to be really trying hard to be worse than those three movies.

So it's alive and it's not going to cost 200mil? Way to go Hollywood!

75 million is a great budget for this movie. Ritchie is a good director and i guess he doesnt need a big paycheck.

75 million should've been the budget for The Lone Ranger.

75 million should've been the budget for The Lone Ranger.
Of course it should have, Western's don't make enough to cost much more than that. I guess the studio could have gotten away with 100mil but even that seems extreme for a Lone Ranger movie.

Indeed. 3:10 to Yuma cost $55mil. A proper Lone Ranger movie shouldn't have cost too much more than that, imo.

$75mil sounds incredibly reasonable for this subject matter. I'm shocked.

I'm not exactly a fan of Richie but I like Cavill's face and body...I mean I like Cavill and Hammer so I hope this film is decent and not a huge bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"