Superman Returns Man of Steel: The Official Brandon Routh Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why quote the British tabloid? As I stated before (and confirmed in the recent ZS interview) the tabloid was 100% false as expected. ZS never made a statement about any actors under consideration.

I assume you think I'm referring to the News of The World's little story that was spread about in here as proof of Routh's consideration, you'd assume incorrect..

I'm talking about The Sun, who I'll happily admit don't help my case for believability factor considering a few days ago they had an article stating John Cena & The Rock had some buzz around them for the part at WB... :dry:.. at least I pray this isn't true from the bottom of my heart.

Anyway they had a similarly small little interview with Snyder in the paper maybe a week or two ago(?), perhaps a passing interview at the premiere of his latest movie, & as I said the answer he gave in regards to a question regarding the Superman casting, he didn't acknowledge any actor at all.. but it gave the impression that because of fan support he'd maybe look at an actor(s) for the part.

As I say this isn't proof of anything.. but still. It is what it is.

Oh & basically ZS denying he made a statement about any actor under consideration doesn't exactly make this story.. or the News of The Worlds story untrue as he doesn't mention any actor in general by name in either article.. nor does it technically 100% confirm anything about the casting either though I suppose when you look at it from both sides of the glass..

I'll try & dig out the paper if I have not thrown it out & scan the little snippit if I can find it.

From an autograph signing with the SP crew yesterday in Hollywood, California:

SPsigningatAmoeba11-11-10.jpg

BrandonatAmoebasigning11-11-10.jpg

Last edited:
thanks. wow she looks so pretty without the wig.

btw, i just think brandon fanbase is small. the BRB compaign just too little the voice. he should have done some romance movies.

Last edited:
Last night I thought Routh was confirmed back. I was going through the channels and caught the end of something on the Extra entertainment show. They were showing a montage of clips from SR, and I heard the tail end of what the guy was saying. "....in Zack Snyder's Man of Steel. Now, who for Lois Lane?" I don't know what he was actually talking about, but that's what it seems like.

Last night I thought Routh was confirmed back. I was going through the channels and caught the end of something on the Extra entertainment show. They were showing a montage of clips from SR, and I heard the tail end of what the guy was saying. "....in Zack Snyder's Man of Steel. Now, who for Lois Lane?" I don't know what he was actually talking about, but that's what it seems like.
i guess it is good.
the more media support for him, the better.

I think its weird that last night I had a dream which was about some TV news channel confirming that Routh ws back as Superman.

I caught that too the other day. I just got the tail end or something and Routh was mentioned as coming back.

I think it was likely bad reporting, but I'm sure he liked it hee.

Basically what happened is they scored an amazing director with a great vision for the character.

The previous film was a disappointment and the wrong approach.

So instead of making Wolverine II with Jackman a sequel, it's a separate new vision for Wolverine, not connected with the previous takes, not owing itself to the previous films.

Sounds like a familiar situation.

I still say that if an actor looks the part (as Jackman looks like wolverine, ignoring the height issue) and if a good script and a good director can take a fresh new approach then even if a reboot is made, the earlier actor can still play the lead part.

Going by this logic, Routh can play as Superman again even if the old movie (SR) is not connected in any way to the new one.

Just like the new Superman, they do not want to call it a reboot.

However, it is not a sequel and does not connect to the previous films.

Here's hoping above all hope that Snyder takes initiative and brings Brandon back. :up:

And here we go:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/110465-aronofsky-reveals-title-for-next-wolverine-movie

Hugh Jackman starring as Wolverine in "The Wolverine," a one-off reboot not connected with X-men: Origins, and not a sequel to those films.
they have to stop doing this. The first wolverine movie ended where Logan is in Japan/Asian country. The second movie is now based in an Asian country, but the filmmakers are stating it's not connected to the first film. Why say it?

Basically what happened is they scored an amazing director with a great vision for the character.

So instead of making Wolverine II with Jackman a sequel, it's a separate new vision for Wolverine, not connected with the previous takes, not owing itself to the previous films.

This is ridiculous. Its obvious a sequel.

Maybe they dont make any reference to the previous movie, but it is a sequel. Its just a stand alone story instead of pick it up right after the end of the first one, like franchises usually do nowadays.

It's kinda like Batman Returns? Or maybe more like Batman Forever, if Keaton hadn't dropped out.

The big difference being that Wolverine's 'stand alone' movie has a story that doesn't need to recast character's that have already appeared in the x-men franchise, because there won't be any in the new film.

With the next superman movie, they will most certainly be re-casting Lois, Lex, Perry, Jimmy, on and on. . .

So there is a massive difference in keeping Routh compared with Jackman

Actually, it's not the same thing at all.

Jackman's role in the first X-Men film was a true star-making performance which propelled Jackman to the Hollywood A-list and helped push the franchise forward in three very (financially, if not entirely creatively) successful films, with the character's first 'solo' picture being received with mixed reviews and box office in relation to its budget.

Still, throughout four films, Jackman's performance has been pretty much universally accepted by the public and fans, no matter how they felt about characterization or the pictures as a whole.

Whether it will have sequel elements within the picture or not, The Wolverine (I wouldn't be surprised if that title changes again) has already been basically set-up by the ending of the last picture...so for those who want to connect it, they can...and for those who don't, I'm betting it will function pretty completely on its own terms.

I would take anything filmmakers say in PR terms and interviews (including Aronofsky) at face-value. I won't say that losing Jackman as the star at this point would kill the franchise (X-Men: First Class seems to be making a noble attempt at forging its own road), but it would arguably be highly damaging and likely relegate the picture to B-level status. Be assured, Jackman is still very important to this franchise (at least, any entry featuring Wolverine).

Can you honestly say that about Superman on film?

Very different situation from the film and franchise you're comparing it to, which only had one shot in contemporary features before taking the turn lane.

And before you ask, yes, I do know what I'm talking about...

And as far as casting this franchise goes, I've said this here before -- but it bears reiterating: it's not personal, folks, it's just business...

:word:

Last edited:
It's kinda like Batman Returns? Or maybe more like Batman Forever, if Keaton hadn't dropped out.

I'm not sure. Batman Returns, while not treated as a direct sequel to the first film, had the same cast for the characters that returned, and they made at least one reference to the first film (Bruce talks about Vicky Vale to Selina).

Batman Forever, was still connected to the universe that Burton created, just remolded with a new gotham, new batman suit, new batman gadgets, new Harvey Dent, and of course, a new Batman.

They made a call back to Selina and even Joker himself in BF.

If Routh fits the vision that Snyder and Nolan has for their Superman, then it wouldn't be unheard of to cast him in this new franchise, especially if it's already being done so with Hugh Jackman.

They could easily establish that this isn't the same universe from SR, and if they give BR a lot of new and great material to work with in regards to how Superman is written, along with how they dress him and everything, they could further distinguish that this isn't connected to any of the previous Superman films.

The big difference being that Wolverine's 'stand alone' movie has a story that doesn't need to recast character's that have already appeared in the x-men franchise, because there won't be any in the new film.

With the next superman movie, they will most certainly be re-casting Lois, Lex, Perry, Jimmy, on and on. . .

So there is a massive difference in keeping Routh compared with Jackman

Superman (2012) is being regarded a as 'standalone' film for the moment too. It was never mentioned as a 'reboot to a new franchaise of films' by anyone involved.

The main motivation that forced WB to make this picture was the lawsuit.

Actually, it's not the same thing at all.

Jackman's role in the first X-Men film was a true star-making performance which propelled Jackman to the Hollywood A-list and helped push the franchise forward in three very (financially, if not entirely creatively) successful films, with the character's first 'solo' picture being received with mixed reviews and box office in relation to its budget.

Still, throughout four films, Jackman's performance has been pretty much universally accepted by the public and fans, no matter how they felt about characterization or the pictures as a whole.

Whether it will have sequel elements within the picture or not, The Wolverine (I wouldn't be surprised if that title changes again) has already been basically set-up by the ending of the last picture...so for those who want to connect it, they can...and for those who don't, I'm betting it will function pretty completely on its own terms.

I would take anything filmmakers say in PR terms and interviews (including Aronofsky) at face-value. I won't say that losing Jackman as the star at this point would kill the franchise (X-Men: First Class seems to be making a noble attempt at forging its own road), but it would arguably be highly damaging and likely relegate the picture to B-level status. Be assured, Jackman is still very important to this franchise (at least, any entry featuring Wolverine).

Can you honestly say that about Superman on film?

Very different situation from the film and franchise you're comparing it to, which only had one shot in contemporary features before taking the turn lane.

And before you ask, yes, I do know what I'm talking about...

And as far as casting this franchise goes, I've said this here before -- but it bears reiterating: it's not personal, folks, it's just business...

:word:

Difference is, it also depends on who the studio still regards as Superman. This is very much a studio-driven project. Brandon seemed to be well liked by many key higher-ups at Warners, though the creation of DCE and eventual promotion of Robinov in Horn's place may have changed things. It's still within the realm of possibilities that discussions about BR's potential involvement will happen.

Jackman's involvement in "The Wolverine" seems more due to his relationship with Fox and on the development of the script, than any ploy to grab the GP's attention. With a director as praised as Darren Aronofsky, they could have easily recast the role if they wanted for this film not connected to the previous franchaise. Sony seems to be successfully doing so with a much lesser known director, despite the public familiarity of Tobey as Spider-man.

Fox also has/had plans to reboot X-men: Origin's Deadpool as a solo franchaise disconnected from that film, but with Ryan Reynolds still playing Deadpool.

Last edited:
I'll believe it when I see it regarding Reynolds doing Deadpool. If Green Lantern clicks, I'd be hard-pressed to think WB will be a-OK with their leading man doing an opposing comic-book franchise with an active rival Fox.

In fact, I'd go as far to say it was a point of contention before giving Reynolds GL how realistic of a chance there was Deadpool would happen.

Last edited:
Haha, I agree.

However, that wasn't my point though. My point was that Fox originally intended to reboot Deadpool without any connection to X-men: Origins, but with Ryan Reynolds still playing Deadpool.

Before RR jumped ship to WB, this was going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"