The Amazing Spider-Man Marc Webb to return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

socool

True
Reaction score
According to Comic Book News (Don't know how reliable they are) he is already off the project:

About a month or so before the premiere of the new Amazing Spider-Man movie, Cosmic Book News received word that director Marc Webb had been given his walking papers.

Meaning, that the director would not be returning on the Amazing Spider-Man sequel, which we were told had a tentative title of "Web of Spider-Man."

We were told the studio was not happy with Webb's version as it was considered to dark and mopey, and the studio wanted it to be more action packed — which is the reason why Star Trek and Transformers writers Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci were brought onboard.

In addition, we were told that Tarsem Singh is the current frontrunner to direct Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Now, Columbia Pictures President Doug Belgrad recently addressed the return of Marc Webb, and strongly implied that Webb would not be directing the sequel to Amazing Spider-Man.

THR asked Belgrad if Webb will be back:

THR: Will Marc Webb return to direct the sequel?

Belgrad: We'd really like him back, but there are obstacles. He has an obligation to Fox. [Webb owes Fox a post-(500) Days of Summer film.]

But that's not all, as Belgrad also said there were problems with the film:

THR: Were there any problem areas with Amazing Spider-Man?

Belgrad: Yes. The section where Rhys Ifans' character turns irrevocably into the Lizard. It took several months to figure out, and the filmmakers cut a bunch of scenes. In software parlance, it required a patch.

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/toldja-marc-webb-not-returning-amazing-spider-man-sequel

Of course, take this with a grain of salt since it's only this one site and I have no idea how reliable it is, but if it's true, I'm ****ing pissed. Not only did I want Webb to return but to hear that this Tarsem Singh guy is the frontrunner for director is terrible. He's just not a Spider-Man director. To hear that the movie is supposed to be more action oriented is very disheartening too. If all this is true, I've lost a lot of respect for Sony, if that was even possible, and would really want Spider-Man to go back to Marvel.

You see, this is all bad news for me. Sure, I like action (I loved the Avengers), but I don't want this Spider-Man series to become Transformers.

I'm pissed about it too, the new guy is probably gonna botch up Peter and Gwen's relationship and her death.

I wonder if either Andrew or Emma would leave the project if it wasn't going the way they wanted..

EDIT: apparently the site is 'cosmic book news'. wtf kinda name is that?

well maybe Marc didn´t like all the creative control or that they edited his job to the point it wasn´t what he wanted

It doesn't sound like his leaving on his own volition.

Interesting if true. I will take it with a grain of salt, but it wouldn't shock me. Just watch the trailers and such. It is VERY clear a lot of material was cut from the film. Webb may have had to sacrifice or refilm much of his vision, and Sony has been tamper happy in recent years.

There was PLENTY of action and the action that was there was INSANE! You can watch that movie 5 times and still see things you didn't pick up in previous viewings. Columbia Pictures needs to pull their head out of their @$$es and give Webb the credit that's due to him. The film was a success because of Webb...BRING HIM BACK!!!

We were told the studio was not happy with Webb's version as it was considered too dark and mopey, and the studio wanted it to be more action packed — which is the reason why Star Trek and Transformers writers Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci were brought onboard.
At least that takes away the Twilight comparison, or it should

If every Spider-Man director gets cheated, they shouldn't work on another movie, and I will support the rights to go to Marvel instead of staying with Sony. At least if they really get something better and be satisfied with with the next director then I would be less angry at Sony

Considering this is true

There was PLENTY of action and the action that was there was INSANE! You can watch that movie 5 times and still see things you didn't pick up in previous viewings. Columbia Pictures needs to pull their head out of their @$$es and give Webb the credit that's due to him. The film was a success because of Webb...BRING HIM BACK!!!

:up:

At least that takes away the Twilight comparison, or it should

If every Spider-Man director gets cheated, they shouldn't work on another movie, and I will support the rights to go to Marvel instead of staying with Sony. At least if they really get something better and be satisfied with with the next director then I would be less angry at Sony

Considering this is true
Joss whedon?:cwink:

Why exactly would they bring up this contract item with fox when they let him direct the first movie and you would assume fox had the option then as well. This seems more like there way of saying they wont be asking him back. I thought the film was really well done, especially the characters themselves.

I think the head of the studio is bringing that up as a way to already start the narrative as to why he isn't going to be back. Of course, it could also be true at the same time, but if it is, I'm sure that doesn't hurt their feelings. I felt the action in the movie was good but I know a few didn't and even a film critic on a podcast I listened to felt that Webb probably shouldn't come back because he felt he didn't have a good handle of the action. One man's opinion obviously, but not the only one with that opinion.

I'm not putting much stock in the cosmicbook report, even in their original story, they state that the news comes from a source they've never used before and believe me, they wouldn't be the only one with that news nor would they be the only reporting it and it comes from 2 months ago. With Marc already saying he isn't sure and he wants to do other things then the head of the studio coming out and saying what he said this morning, he probably won't be back, which sucks, especially because I can't think of anyone to replace him, well anyone who'd do it. Abrams has a connection with Orci and Kurtzman but I can't see him doing it and Brad Bird would be a good choice too but I would really rather Webb just be given another shot. There are certain things he did well in this movie that are the cornerstone of every great spider-man story and if the next guy comes on and completely misses the mark on that stuff but nails the action, that's going to be a terrible flick, so what does the studio do at that point?

I wasn't impressed with Webb. I don't think he even had a clear vision as to where to take these characters and what he wanted to achieve with this film. Another director for the sequel would be great.

I wasn't impressed with Webb. I don't think he even had a clear vision as to where to take these characters and what he wanted to achieve with this film. Another director for the sequel would be great.

It's funny you said that because I was just about to post that for every person disappointed he may not come back, I'm sure there will be another person who's excited at the idea of someone else handling it. Someone posted on twitter that this might be the good news of the day LOL..so clearly, if they're moving on, they have to get the director right so the question for the thread should be: If he's gone, who do you want to replace him?

Someone who won't change the tone of the film and botch up the characters.

At least don't retcon anything done in this movie -_-

Well it's already being written so if you can find a way to spy on Orci and Kurtzman you'll be ahead of the game. They've already said they really liked the movie and really liked the character stuff more than the spider-man stuff so it'd be weird for them to do a 180 on that

**** it. I'm out.

Yeah, see not surprised by that. For every person who's elated at the prospect, someone else will be peeved. Feige is so much better at spin than Sony is lol. Branagh leaves Thor because of control reasons and not being able to do what he wants and they handle it in a professional way. This one seems very see through. Hell, they had a fallout with Favreau after Iron Man 2 and here he is still in Iron Man 3 and being a professional. Crazy

Funny, because I thought this film lacked a consistent tone. Another reason why I'm glad to be hearing this news.

Bring Raimi back!

But srsly...NO TARSEM.

This trilogy is most likely donezo. Oh well, let Whedon have him for A2 please.

How can you say that when Sony clearly interfered somewhat with the movie?
This could have been a totally different film before large chunks of it were edited out. And what do you mean he didn't have a clear vision? He followed the origin story, killed Gwen's father, and had Peter and Gwen split, even though it looks like in the sequel they'll be together. The only "lost" character was the guy who was suppose to play Protogoblin, but he was suppose to have died in the original version, and someone edited that out. There was a lot missing from this film. The problem wasn't with Webb, why would he film all of that stuff just to have it edited out so the film felt disjointed? Mark my words, Sony had a hand in this. It's nowhere near being Webb's fault. He did excelled at everything we knew he would. Romance, character development, performances, drama. The only thing he stumbled a little bit on was action, but this is his first big action movie. Add onto that he has to work with action scenes containing a super human and a giant lizard.

I love it how people blame Raimi for SM3 but not Webb for ASM....sweet irony.

Bring Raimi back!

But srsly...NO TARSEM.

This trilogy is most likely donezo. Oh well, let Whedon have him for A2 please.

But he directed "Losing My Religion" by REM.
Seriously, if Sony is going to get a new director, then they better get someone who they at least KNOW has a chance of making a good movie. Don't get some random director either. I swear if Sony gets some generic director who's background is full of mediocre movies and the movie gets worse reception than the first one I will be P*SSED.

Last edited:

Most people liked ASM.

I loved ASM..

and I blame SM3 on sony, not Raimi.

I don't blame Raimi for Spider-Man 3.
It's Sony's fault. Raimi is a very good director who gets a lot of unnecessary crap. Raimi is one of the few to write/direct a critically acclaimed horror movie in the last 10 years or so. (Drag Me To Hell).
Without him movies like Cabin Fever and Cabin In The Woods wouldn't even exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"