The Amazing Spider-Man The Official Marc Webb Thread

It's got it's place. Hard for me to overlook the Ultimate Venom thing though. That really bugs me.

I also hope they are not going with Ultimate versions of Spider-Man's villains. Spectacular Spider-Man used Ultimate stuff for inspiration very wisely, but they still kept the villains and story arcs as classic as they can be translated and incorporated into the modern world. If they now draw inspiration from the show and find a way to make it right then we could get a very serious and interesting setting for the future. And I really hope this reboot and taking Peter to high school route gives them hope to renew the show for the 5-6 seasons plan they had.

I hate the villains in Ultimate Spider-Man. Shocker is destroyed. Kraven is destroyed. Green ****ing Goblin is destroyed. Scorpion is destroyed. The list goes on.

They better be careful taking too much from Ultimate Spider-Man. The classic is way better.

I liked USM's mordernized take, like Aunt May being a bit younger and not a elderly almost helpess appearing Aunt. And changing everything to genetics instead of radioactivity. But most of the villains weren't modernized, they pissed completely over them. The villains have to stick as closely to their 616 interpretation as possible, while still keeping it fresh.

Yeah, the villains in USM were awful. That's my main problem with that series. I hope the film doesn't take any influence from the USM villains.

Aunt May is like what, 50 in USM, right?

The first thing Marc has to decide is tone, which is what´s gonna make it or break it. He has to be smart to avoide the over-the-top cheese of a Fantastic Four, but also not fall into the darkness of a TDK. The Iron Man film franchise, for instance, seems like a good middle ground.

Most important is too avoid the cheese of the Raimi Spidey films.

Most important is too avoid the cheese of the Raimi Spidey films.

There is far worse cheese than that of his Spidey films, for the most part it wasn´t too much of a factor. Interestingly enough, a lot of what people call "cheese" in his movies is taken from the comics, but there nobody seems to find it so cheesy.

Last edited:
*I dislike Venom, but on that note*

Ultimate Venom > 616 Venom

When something is outlined and planned, it makes all the difference.

Look at the 616 Venom, how is the following supposed to be made without offending at least a few fans:

- Black costume produced by a machine on Battleworld
- Spider-Man had costume for over a year before he realized it was sentient
- Has trans-dimensional pockets to keep stuff in?
- Fantastic Four separate the symbiote from Peter the first time.
- Original first fight ended with Venom hitting pavement after he ran out of webbing (used up too much of the suit)

I really don't think he should place too much focus on USM. Just find a more modernized approach to adapting the character. Raimi went for a very classical approach. It personally reminded me (at least the first two films) a lot like Stan Lee. But a fresher take is the way to go.

Many fans want it to be like one style or another in the comics. But Webb showcased a great style with (500) Days of Summer. If he could combine that with just traditional Spidey it could work. If he had to use specific source material, then honestly the TV show Spectacular Spider-Man did a far better job or modernizing Peter's early years than Ultimate Spider-Man did.

I really don't think he should place too much focus on USM. Just find a more modernized approach to adapting the character. Raimi went for a very classical approach. It personally reminded me (at least the first two films) a lot like Stan Lee. But a fresher take is the way to go.

Many fans want it to be like one style or another in the comics. But Webb showcased a great style with (500) Days of Summer. If he could combine that with just traditional Spidey it could work. If he had to use specific source material, then honestly the TV show Spectacular Spider-Man did a far better job or modernizing Peter's early years than Ultimate Spider-Man did.

There is far worse cheese than that of his Spidey films, for the most part it wasn´t too much of a factor. Interestingly enough, a lot of what people call "cheese" in his movies is taken from the comics, but there nobody seems to find it so cheesy.

Personally, nothing was worse to me than the cheese of the Raimi films.

Yeah, just like Sam Raimi's Spider-Man films. The villains, action scenes, and Spider-Man took a back seat in them. And why does everyone think it'll copy Smallville? Didn't Smallville copy Spider-Man? A teen superhero in high school? Spider-Man did it first in the 60's comics and Ultimate Spider-Man before Smallville.

What are you talking about? Smallville is nearly identical to Superboy (1980s TV show, for those who don't recall or know) not Spider-Man.

[YT]GBXMTXD35_w[/YT]

Last edited:
It's good to know that Superman tv shows haven't gotten any better since way back then.

Smallville has grown since than. He's obviously no longer in high school... you know because, the show started in 2001.

I'm not a big Smallville fan but I would put it way above the Superboy tv show from the 80s. At least Smallville was able to get my non-comic reading friends and family to consider Superman to be cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"