Marvel’s First Family Casting Thread

If it were up to me, I’d cast actors that look as close to Kirby’s versions as possible.

But Marvel seems so obsessed with diversity, it’s probably a near certainty they’re going to cast at least one of the four as a different ethnicity.

And what happens happens. I have no say in the matter and skin color isn’t that big of a deal.

Way too much time has been spent discussing race on this forum, and unless they cast someone Miles Teller bad, I’m taking what I get, and I’m not going to complain.

this is a great post. I dont know how you managed to read every single issue (including the Jim Lee heroes reborn series?) but kudos to you.
I did read the Heroes Reborn stuff, but maybe I should have been more clear: I've read all the stories from the regular Fantastic Four comic. I'm not claiming to have read every story featuring the FF or any member.

I started reading comics in 1970 and have read every issue of FF since. It was a simple matter to catch up on all the reruns from the '60s, either from their rerun book they used to have (Marvel's Greatest Comics) or from the Marvel Masterworks hardcover series.

It used to be my dream to have a copy of FF#1 (vol. 1). I recall that when I started collecting comics they were going for about $100. Wish I would have picked up about ten of them, considering what they're going for now. But I was only ten at the time, that $100 might as well been a million..[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I did read the Heroes Reborn stuff, but maybe I should have been more clear: I've read all the stories from the regular Fantastic Four comic. I'm not claiming to have read every story featuring the FF or any member.

I started reading comics in 1970 and have read every issue of FF since. It was a simple matter to catch up on all the reruns from the '60s, either from their rerun book they used to have (Marvel's Greatest Comics) or from the Marvel Masterworks hardcover series.

It used to be my dream to have a copy of FF#1 (vol. 1). I recall that when I started collecting comics they were going for about $100. Wish I would have picked up about ten of them, considering what they're going for now. But I was only ten at the time, that $100 might as well been a million..

Kevin Feige should hire you as a consultant. I think someone like you understands better than I do what makes the F4 special. What makes a compelling and immersing F4 story arc. What the essence of each of the characters and their motivations are (that includes their rogues gallery). Its a pleasure to have real fans like you (and Mr. Lumpkin) here and I look forward to more posts from you.

I trust Feige to do the right thing for the casting, character and story of F4. I know he isnt doing the casting (that is another lady) but so far I have not been greatly disappointed with their castings (I would have preferred Katee Sackhoff as Captain Marvel). Brie Larson is more fitted to emo type characters imo.

I've only just gotten into Succession (great show) but I think Jeremy Strong would be a fantastic Reed Richards. Has the look and can play likeable, sympathetic as well as broken and unlikeable (which I think are equally important parts of Reed's character). I think would juggle those aspects of the character that gets so carried away with science he neglects his relationship/family etc.

Jeremy Strong1.jpeg

Jeremy Strong2.jpeg

Jeremy Strong looks alright. I did watch A Quiet Place again last night though, and I do think John Krasinski would make a perfect Reed Richards. Emily Blunt would be a good Sue too, although I think she's a tad bit too old. I really would like the ages of the team spread out some (except Reed and Ben).

Really, if you're building a successful franchise, they might both be too old.

again with the age thing. You do know that RDJ was well into his 40s in 2008 (43).

Krasinksi is 42 and Blunt is 38. I dont think age is a factor. What is a factor is, can they portray these characters faithfully according to the source material and according to the essence of the characters.

I do quite like Krasinksi, but also I think Reed Richards could be a good chance for them to cast someone who ISN'T super buff and kinda square jawed superhero. To me, Mr Fantastic has always been a bit more awkward, perhaps more heroic in deeds than appearance.

He always kinda looked the odd one out anytime all the Marvel heroes got together. I mean this is a hero who always looks more natural in a lab coat than his own superhero costume. So I think it's a good opportunity to cast someone more left field.

As for his portrayal, I'd like to see him being the most scientifically driven MCU character to date. Like Bruce Banner and Tony Stark combined, without the charisma etc. I wonder if Krasinski is just a little too likeable to nail the awkward, science brained loner who sometimes has difficulty with empathy or charisma.

You want Reed to be likable, but not in they typical way. Like others have said, he should be the most charismatic or even the most outwardly warm and friendly. But to his family (and the audience) his kindness and enthusiasm is what's likable about him.

Ben, Johnny, and Sue are the characters that need to be very charismatic but in different ways.

Like Ben is very self-deprecating and the first to point out how ridiculous everything

Johnny is more of the typical MCU personality like Tony or Star Lord.

Sue's needs some defining because the misogyny of the original run hasn't left the character completely and her character isn't as 3-dimensional as the others.

So for Reed it's important that he's believable as a genius on the brink of being a recluse. The actor needs to be able to balance his unlikable aspects in a way that doesn't turn audiences off.

Ben and Johnny should be easier to cast and with Johnny they need to go for an actor who looks he could be around MCU Peter Parker's age.

As I said before Sue's actress needs to inject personality into the character and be the backbone of the team.

So for Reed it's important that he's believable as a genius on the brink of being a recluse. The actor needs to be able to balance his unlikable aspects in a way that doesn't turn audiences off.
I don't think Reed is a recluse, he just gets very distracted sometimes with his scientific work. He's a warm and loving person, but he can get sidetracked and forget to pay attention to his wife and family.

Chris Evans did a pretty good job with Johnny Storm, but I thought he was too buff. I'd like to see a younger Torch, who is like a bratty teenager. He could be about 20, but mentally more like a teenager. Don't put him through the Hollywood training program, he's just a regular kid who happened to get powers. Let Ben be the muscle.

Sue is kind of like the matronly ruler, outside of Reed's leadership, she's like the mama bear.

It's just frustrating to me that they haven't been able to get this right onscreen, because it's all there, all they have to do is use it. And not try to make it some woke thing and make Sue as smart as Reed because of feminism and whatnot.

I do quite like Krasinksi, but also I think Reed Richards could be a good chance for them to cast someone who ISN'T super buff and kinda square jawed superhero. To me, Mr Fantastic has always been a bit more awkward, perhaps more heroic in deeds than appearance.

He always kinda looked the odd one out anytime all the Marvel heroes got together. I mean this is a hero who always looks more natural in a lab coat than his own superhero costume. So I think it's a good opportunity to cast someone more left field.

As for his portrayal, I'd like to see him being the most scientifically driven MCU character to date. Like Bruce Banner and Tony Stark combined, without the charisma etc. I wonder if Krasinski is just a little too likeable to nail the awkward, science brained loner who sometimes has difficulty with empathy or charisma.

John Krasinski is this person. He is a normal, average, guy next door. The only reason he is famous is because of The Office, a show filled with other normal, average looking people. Except for the red head, she is a babe. This is why Chris Evans got the role of Cap - he is that square jawed, super buff action hero and Krasinski isn't and didnt (or wasn't at the time). Chris Pratt was a very similar situation with Parks and Rec.

John Krasinski is this person. He is a normal, average, guy next door. The only reason he is famous is because of The Office, a show filled with other normal, average looking people. Except for the red head, she is a babe. This is why Chris Evans got the role of Cap - he is that square jawed, super buff action hero and Krasinski isn't and didnt (or wasn't at the time). Chris Pratt was a very similar situation with Parks and Rec.

I dunno, he'll always be Jim from the office to plenty of people, but I think he's also firmly cemented himself as a masculine, tough guy action lead for the last 5+ years. I mean Zero Dark 30, Jack Ryan, even Quiet Place.

Not saying he couldn't rise to the occasion as Reed Richards, just that it doesn't feel as exciting casting to me. It feels a little bit obvious (especially when he's fan cast alongside Emily Blunt). I think what would excite me is if they cast an actor who you wouldn't immediately picture as a superhero.

One of my favourite things about F4 stories is they idea that as a team, they're superheroes, but on their own they're kind of lost in different ways. Without the family, Reed would be so absorbed by his work he'd probably have no connection to the outside world. Ben would feel isolated and disconnected. Johnny would probably lose control/Burn out/self destruct in a variety of ways. Susan is probably the most stable on her own, but obviously finds new strengths in leadership and power via the team.

So for casting, I think it's most important that the actors they cast can 100% nail those character traits first and foremost and let the Superheroism come from their deeds.

Like, imagine Reed wasn't a superhero for a second, and lets pretend you're just casting a scientist who is super absorbed by work, a little absent minded, sometimes lacking in empathy. I think there's an interesting casting pool for that kind of character that is a lot less typical than John Krasinski.

Like, imagine Reed wasn't a superhero for a second, and lets pretend you're just casting a scientist who is super absorbed by work, a little absent minded, sometimes lacking in empathy.
I think I forget that Reed is a superhero a great deal of the time, he's so identified as the super genius.

As for Krasinski, honestly I've never really seen his action films so I don't think of him in those terms. I didn't even know he was buff. I just think he looks like Reed (with the beard), and he's a good actor so I figure he can handle it. And Reed's been drawn fairly muscular more than a few times, depending on who the artist is.

It’s not very original, but these are my favorite suggestions I’ve seen

Mister Fantastic - John Krasinski
Invisible Woman - Emily Blunt
Human Torch - Dacre Montgomery
The Thing - Seth Rogen
Doctor Doom - Cillian Murphy

The Thing - Seth Rogen
Doctor Doom - Cillian Murphy
Seth Rogen?!?? Just can't picture it. Rogen is one of those guys who is always playing himself, it's kind of like Jim Carrey playing the Riddler.

I'm not sure who should play Doom, but I'd like it to be someone who is okay with not showing his face. Doom needs to be scarred. Vin Diesel doesn't show his face as Groot, Bradley Cooper doesn't show his face as Rocket Raccoon. James Earl Jones didn't show his face as Darth Vader. These actors and their egos.

Seth Rogen?!?? Just can't picture it. Rogen is one of those guys who is always playing himself, it's kind of like Jim Carrey playing the Riddler.

I'm not sure who should play Doom, but I'd like it to be someone who is okay with not showing his face. Doom needs to be scarred. Vin Diesel doesn't show his face as Groot, Bradley Cooper doesn't show his face as Rocket Raccoon. James Earl Jones didn't show his face as Darth Vader. These actors and their egos.

Jim Carrey has been cast as MCU's MODOK. So anything is possible.

My problem with Seth Rogan is he has always played characters who are very comfortable with their flaws.

Ben needs to be much more insecure - though he masks that with a superficial bluster.

I think too many people say: “Seth Rogan is funny” and then assume he can play any comedic character.

Does Seth Rogan have the range to play that character? Maybe. I was impressed with his recent body transformation that made him unrecognizable.

I’d give him a try and bring him in to read, but I think he’s the kind of actor that needs to prove he can pull it off because he hasn’t played a character like Ben before.

My problem with Seth Rogan is he has always played characters who are very comfortable with their flaws.

Ben needs to be much more insecure - though he masks that with a superficial bluster.

I think too many people say: “Seth Rogan is funny” and then assume he can play any comedic character.

Does Seth Rogan have the range to play that character? Maybe. I was impressed with his recent body transformation that made him unrecognizable.

I’d give him a try and bring him in to read, but I think he’s the kind of actor that needs to prove he can pull it off because he hasn’t played a character like Ben before.

He's done some dramatic work in "Steve Jobs" and I think he's got the range to play someone like Ben Grimm.

Never have and never will be on the Rogen train for Ben.

There's NOTHING about him that has ever or will ever scream:

Ex-Football player.

Mixed Martial artist.

Ex-Military.

New York City born and bred.

And the voice with or without some post production magic isn't in the Ben wheelhouse.

People think of him because he's Jewish and he's not shy about talking about how that shaped him as a person.

I like Seth a lot but this is just not even close to Ben in terms of casting nor in the potential with a "left field" choice that surprises most.

If somebody said to me, and I didn’t know any better: “Seth Rogan grew up NYC and played some college football before doing a brief stint in Afghanistan”, I wouldn’t argue with them.

All those things are plausible if you haven’t read his bio.

Ex-Football player.

Mixed Martial artist.

Ex-Military.

And the voice with or without some post production magic isn't in the Ben wheelhouse.

People think of him because he's Jewish and he's not shy about talking about how that shaped him as a person.

I like Seth a lot but this is just not even close to Ben in terms of casting nor in the potential with a "left field" choice that surprises most.

I could never see or buy Seth Rogen as Ben Grimm at all. I don’t know why people are on this, it’s bad enough he’s going to be doing TMNT.

Anyway, while I want him as MCU Gladiator, I wouldn’t be mad at John Cena as the Thing.

I think at least Seth deserves an audition. Him and John Cena to see who is best suited for the role. Most people pegged Tom Cruise as Tony Stark and RDJ was seen as the dark horse and a casting out of left field - much like Chris Pratt, and now potentially Seth Rogen

Ex-Football player.

Mixed Martial artist.

Ex-Military.

Now if Ben Grimm was a Canadian stoner slacker, I'd say sign him up. Or Jonah Hill. He's been nominated for a few Oscars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"