Comics Marvel NOW effects on Spidey and past 700

I have faith in Dan, but I'm really NOT digging these theories.

He's quit so many times, why even bother rehashing that (ASM #50, clone-saga, the Mackie/Byrne fiasco 'Final... ugh.... Chapter' and I vaguely recall a few other occasions where he tried to get rid of his powers with the intention of quitting).

He also disappeared of course, when he was buried alive by Kraven. And he was killed in a Todd McFarlane Spider-Man story in the early 90's or late 80's waaaaay before Morlun. He met Death if I recall.

Everything's been done. Whatever this is, it will be a rehash of a previous theme or story, and it will be temporary. If Spidey quits or dies, none of those will stick more than a year. No status-quo change has lasting power in Marvel these days.

He's quit so many times, why even bother rehashing that (ASM #50, clone-saga, the Mackie/Byrne fiasco 'Final... ugh.... Chapter' and I vaguely recall a few other occasions where he tried to get rid of his powers with the intention of quitting).

He also disappeared of course, when he was buried alive by Kraven. And he was killed in a Todd McFarlane Spider-Man story in the early 90's or late 80's waaaaay before Morlun. He met Death if I recall.

Everything's been done. Whatever this is, it will be a rehash of a previous theme or story, and it will be temporary. If Spidey quits or dies, none of those will stick more than a year. No status-quo change has lasting power in Marvel these days.

The issue you're talking about was in Spider-Man #17 and McFarlane had already left the book. It was a Spidey/Thanos/Death story that Ann Nocenti wrote. I don't know if I would count that as a time he died because it was a one and done story that has never been mentioned again.

There's been a couple more times....in the late 80's there was the "Missing in Action" theme that ran though all the Spider-Man books because Pete disappeared after an explosion in a Web of Spider-Man story. The whole thing lasted a month. It's only purpose was to get rid of the red suit because he had been bouncing back and forth between the red and the black for a while at the artists discretion and editorial wanted everyone on the same page.

There was also the "Powerless" arc by Micheline and Larsen when he decided to give up being Spider-Man out of the blue and some scientist (Chameleon in disguise) used a machine on him to take away his powers. The arc also featured the Black Cat, Femme Fatales and Scorpion. He was able to reverse the process and destroy the machine but Felicia's powers were lost (temporarily) in the process, ending her subplot that had been going on for some time. It was a pretty lame story and was the first signs that Micheline was running short of ideas for the book.

Didn't he try to get rid of his powers which lead to the extra arms story?

Yeah, he did it so he it so he could give his full attention to Gwen......all the more reason why she had to DIE!!! :devil:

But actually it was mostly hot on the heels of Captain Stacy's death and Peter was still upset about it.

Lol... only comic-book science would have a potential antidote instead lead to four extra arms. But for all its goofiness I like that story.

I just remembered another time Pete died. During the clone-saga just before his powers returned!

Everyone is on the wrong track with the death thing. I know what Marvel has planned. They plan to reveal that secretly Peter Parker has been harboring his TRUE feelings...that he is a gay man. Take THAT Chic Fil A! :cmad::oldrazz:

Everyone is on the wrong track with the death thing. I know what Marvel has planned. They plan to reveal that secretly Peter Parker has been harboring his TRUE feelings...that he is a gay man. Take THAT Chic Fil A! :cmad::oldrazz:

Well.... it'd be a more interesting story than him quitting or dying again. At least it'd be something new.

Well.... it'd be a more interesting story than him quitting or dying again. At least it'd be something new.

I thought they were gonna make Miles Morales gay, but they backed off of that when people got upset at all the stereotypes they were trying to shove into one character...

Pete also died in battle with Thanos way back in Spider-Man #15 (i think)

*ahem* *cough* :o

The issue you're talking about was in Spider-Man #17 and McFarlane had already left the book. It was a Spidey/Thanos/Death story that Ann Nocenti wrote. I don't know if I would count that as a time he died because it was a one and done story that has never been mentioned again.

:cwink:

Ummm, no it wouldn't. I think your out of your mind there a bit pal.

I thought they were gonna make Miles Morales gay, but they backed off of that when people got upset at all the stereotypes they were trying to shove into one character...

I thought he was bi or something? I don't know, I don't read that Ultimate nonsense.

Jeezuz... isn't he 13 or 14 years old?

A wee bit young to be exploring his sexuality in my opinion...

Gads, I'm such an old fart... :dry:

:csad:

I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of Alpha replacing Spider-Man. The kid's got hyper-level powers. How do you go from Sentry, Jr. to Spider-Man?

It could end up being a million of things. He could burn himself out, find out there's a threshold or he could just use them to easily mimic Spider-powers and give readers a more powerful Spider-Man per say.

You should try using more smiley's then.

My point is it would make the Clone Saga look Watchmen or The Dark Knight Returns.

Smileys are very hard to do on the mobile version of this site. I have to type them out... like this.... :-(

I've been on the mobile site before and yeah, it is a pain in the ass. I'm surprised they didn't develop a mobile app for the Hype.

Actually Marvel never tried to make Miles gay. that was a stupid rumor that got started on the internet when someone mis-quoted/took what the artist said about Marvel doing new things with characters the wrong way

also what do u mean by shoving too many stereotypes into one character? I personally see nothing stereotypical about Miles

Because he's African American, Latino and (rumored to be originally conceived as being gay). There was a lot of accusations of Marvel using it all as a publicity stunt to capitalize on Obama's election and Donald Glover's campaign to be cast in the movie.

Because he's African American, Latino and (rumored to be originally conceived as being gay). There was a lot of accusations of Marvel using it all as a publicity stunt to capitalize on Obama's election and Donald Glover's campaign to be cast in the movie.

Which has been proven wrong as Bendis had the idea for Miles Morales planned almost a year before the Donald Glover campaign.

What proof is there? Just because he said so after the fact? If so, that's not really proof to me. He could easily had backtracked because of the negative responses.

Do you guys think the Jackal has something to do with it?
Like, well, the rumor is that Parker and Ock switch bodies so Parker dies, right? Well, do you think the Jackal does this? Plus, since there is a costume change in the NOW picture, maybe Ock changes his ways and is Spider-Man from then on, in Parker's body?
Or maybe Peter becomes gay. Or maybe he kills Ock. Frankly, I don't know. Although I think the switching bodies and killing thing are most likely... in the last issues, Parker has been slowly cracking.

What proof is there? Just because he said so after the fact? If so, that's not really proof to me. He could easily had backtracked because of the negative responses.

Of course. You're right. What proof is there? So Bendis did it because of Donald Glover. It's not like they didn't have the Death of Spider-Man planned almost a year in advance or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"