Marvel Studios and its plans for lesser known heroes

BlackLantern

Eternal
Reaction score
http://chud.com/articles/articles/23473/1/EXCLUSIVE-MARVEL039S-EXCITING-SMALL-MOVIE-PLANS/Page1.html

as much as I hate CHUD, this has potential

No, this isn't an Ant-Man story.

Where does Marvel go after getting bigger than any other superhero movie when they release The Avengers? They rein it in and get smaller.

Marvel Studios is currently taking meetings with writers and directors to work on small scale movies based on some of their third tier characters. The movies would cost in the range of 20 to 40 million dollars (very small when we're talking studio films) and would allow them to take risks with less obvious characters and with interesting talent.

Filmmakers are being offered their pick of characters whose names are only familiar to comic fans. Properties like Dr. Strange, Ka-Zar, Luke Cage, Dazzler and Power Pack are among the many that are being tossed around right now. And the attitude seems to be that Marvel is open to bringing any of their characters to the screen at the right price point.

In a lot of ways this is revolutionary. While superhero movies such as Kick-Ass have been made at a lower price point, the big studio system seems unable to keep costs down (Marvel has been just as guilty of this, by the way. Their films were supposed to be cheaper originally). This plan allows Marvel much more flexibility; a 100 million dollar Dazzler movie makes no sense, but one budgeted at 25 million - done right - could be a moneymaker. And at a lower budget these movies don't need to be quite so mainstream. A 20 million dollar film can take much bigger risks than one that costs a hundred million more than that.

Who knows what will be the first small film announced; Marvel has been meeting with people for some time now, and I don't think they're going to wait for The Avengers to be released before they start planning the next phase. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a smaller film was being developed alongside The Avengers.

This initiative is going to allow Marvel (and new owner Disney) to get more of their brands out into the public eye, and it will allow them to continue building their cinematic universe in intriguing ways. It could also mean that up and coming filmmakers or less mainstream directors could suddenly have the chance to play in the big Marvel sandbox. While Warner Bros is still just reving the engine of their DC Superhero movies, Marvel seems to have a plan that's going to allow them to keep their characters at the forefront.

I like the idea, but a budget of less than 75 million will crush Dr. Strange.

Last edited:
its just a concept at this point, but you can do a Luke Cage movie on the cheap and it could be really good

I think it's a GREAT idea. Though I do think Dr. Strange probably deserves a bigger budget, I'd consider him more second tier than third. Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Moon Knight, Namor, Black Widow solo movie- anything they can come up with would be great. Excellent way to expand the Marvel Cinematic Universe and make some money.

I liked WarZone....a better villain would have made all the difference in that movie

Squirrel Girl would be great for a cheap flick. would probably need an original villain so as not to tread on the toes of more serious portrayals of marvel villains later. other than a squirrel army attack and perhaps a few shots using her helicopter it should be cheap. could have a cameo of ironman rejecting her as she offers to be his side kick. rely more on comedy rather than action to sell the film and keep the costs down.

Last edited:
Quality idea and it's good to see the wheels turning on something like this. :up:
Properties like Dr. Strange, Ka-Zar, Luke Cage, Dazzler and Power Pack are among the many that are being tossed around right now.
:dry:

I like the idea, but a budget of less than 75 million will crush Dr. Strange.

Agreed. Can't see the Crimson Bands of Cytorrak or the Flames of the Faltine looking very good on a $25m budget.

And Dormammu? Forget about it.

Agreed. Can't see the Crimson Bands of Cytorrak or the Flames of the Faltine looking very good on a $25m budget.

And Dormammu? Forget about it.

Yeah. About all you can do on 25 million with Dr. Strange is make him stop bank robbers and purse snatchers.

I think it's a GREAT idea. Though I do think Dr. Strange probably deserves a bigger budget, I'd consider him more second tier than third. Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Moon Knight, Namor, Black Widow solo movie- anything they can come up with would be great. Excellent way to expand the Marvel Cinematic Universe and make some money.

Heroes for Hire would make an excellent movie.

Duncan Jones would be perfected to direct a low budget Dr. Strange movie. He made Moon for only $5 million

Sounds like a good idea. There are many DTV films that look great on the cheap and those directors handing these characters could be great. In the past year we have had Universal Soldier Regeneration, The Tournament and Ninja, all great DTV films, all looked great and non of them broke the bank. John Hyams, Scott Mann, Isaac Florentine have all gotten my attention and I'm sure they can handle the action/fight heavy Marvel characters.

I'd love to see an Iron Fist, Moon Knight, and Daredevil movie come out of all this. :woot:

1st - Luke Cage movie

2nd - Iron Fist movie

3rd - Heroes for Hire

Yeah. About all you can do on 25 million with Dr. Strange is make him stop bank robbers and purse snatchers.
If they don't have to pay for big name actors a good deal of the budget can go to the FX crew. I've seen stuff done for TV that blows away a lot of theatrical work. It all depends on who you get.

The idea of characters that are not as well known to the general public is a great one as far as I'm concerned.

Moon Knight....My concerns and how I would do it so it doesnt come off as Marvel's Batman
1) Stay true to the characters roots. Moon Knight has more in common with the Shadow than with Batman. He is more of a pulp hero than a superhero. Play up the pulp aspects of the character...the multiple personalities...the shadow cabinet.
2) The costume. Many people believe incorrectly that Moon Knight's costume is all white...even some creators. Moon Knight's costume is supposed to be Jet and Silver as per Doug Moench MK's creator and was properly colored in an action figure(i included the a pic)

Attachments

• merch_figurelegend01.jpg
    merch_figurelegend01.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 11
If they don't have to pay for big name actors a good deal of the budget can go to the FX crew. I've seen stuff done for TV that blows away a lot of theatrical work. It all depends on who you get.

The idea of characters that are not as well known to the general public is a great one as far as I'm concerned.

You are totally correct. Not only is TV filled with talented directors, it's also got great FX teams. I can totally see the potential in shows like Stargate, Sanctuary (Dr Strange), CSI (Moon Knight, Punisher), 24 (some great action direction and cinematography there). There's a lot fo great talent from TV waiting to be pinched. Look at dudes like DJ Caruso.

Power Pack could be Marvel's 'harry potter' franchise.. I hope they don't just treat it like a fringe property.. ah, well....

2) The costume. Many people believe incorrectly that Moon Knight's costume is all white...even some creators. Moon Knight's costume is supposed to be Jet and Silver as per Doug Moench MK's creator and was properly colored in an action figure(i included the a pic)

Modern MK costume is white. Huston, Benson, Hurwitz use the stark "criminals can't shoot straight" white costume for MK. Of course for the movie it should be silver.

Older actor for Stephen Strange must ask for less.

I wouldnt mind power pack

Last edited:
Dazzler sounds cool

Last edited:
Great idea. Creative directors can do alot with lower budgets and some directors actually make better movies when they have less money. If the films are a success the sequals could get abigger budget.

I would like to see a Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Cloak and Dagger movie.

I could see directors like Neil Marshall going this kind of route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"