Arrow Matt Nable is Ra's Al Ghul

Wellllllll.....

John Barrowman and Manu Bennett are also both very friendly looking guys...provided they're not scaring the crud out of you at that moment.

I'm sure Nable will do well, but man I wish it had been Neeson. He portrayed my second favorite version of Ra's next to Arkham City.

Ra's Al Ghul's immortality definitely confirmed:

As to Ra's longevity, when Nable was crafting his character, he had to incorporate the idea that he's centuries old and simply does not see the world as others might.

"He's immortal, and he's been around for such a long time," Nable reflected. "I think it's in the way he speaks, an economy of words. He's seen so much, and he doesn't get flustered. But for me as well, as opposed to some of the other interpretations, I like for him to have a physicality. If he's lived that long and he's this badass, then it's okay to be a bit scrappy around the edges. That's the way I see it. Look, I've only lived 42 years, and I'm tired. [Laughs] So if he's lived that long, I'm sure he's a bit rough around the edges at times."

"I think that character, more than just about anyone on this show, would understand what life and death is," Nable continued. "He's taken thousands of lives, and he's lived past so many others, so he's got a good perspective on it. I don't think he's insane, and I don't think he's lived his life in bliss, but I think his perspective on it would be a lot clearer and measured than with other characters that he's interacting with. Living that long and knowing you're going to live forever would be a difficult thing to get your head around, but he's had thousands of years to get his head around it. So he's very comfortable with life -- with his life, in any case."

Ra's is also very comfortable with death -- with being, judge, jury, and executioner.

"I think he's done that for so long, he'd be very uncompromising with his judgments," Nable reflected on his character's ridged ethical code. "You know it's, 'If you've done that, you're done.' It'd be very black and white for him. You know, I don't see Ra's as a bad person. I see him as he says: 'I'm replacing evil with death.' So he's a righteous man. From that point of view -- you don't have to like every character you play, but you need to understand them, and I certainly understand him."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01...may-have-a-suprising-dynamic-with-ras-al-ghul

I had no problem with his performance like some had.

The only thing that I hope that they change is allowing Nable to perform more of his own action scenes, or at least hide his Stunt Double a hell of a lot better than the last time.

Seriously, it was so easy to tell when it was his stunt double on screen during the fight between Ra's and Oliver, it took me out of the moment whenever I saw him on screen.

I had no problem with his performance like some had.

The only thing that I hope that they change is allowing Nable to perform more of his own action scenes, or at least hide his Stunt Double a hell of a lot better than the last time.

Seriously, it was so easy to tell when it was his stunt double on screen during the fight between Ra's and Oliver, it took me out of the moment whenever I saw him on screen.

Not trying to make excuses but I get the feeling they only had a limited amount of time to film that scene at that location. It's really the only explanation I have for why it turned out like that. Because this show has been pretty good shooting fights.

Not trying to make excuses but I get the feeling they only had a limited amount of time to film that scene at that location. It's really the only explanation I have for why it turned out like that. Because this show has been pretty good shooting fights.

They discuss the fight in the article, and Noble implies that.

Really dug the 'Fountain of Youth' explanation for the Lazarus Pit. And Nable is growing on me as the Demon's Head.

He's fine, other than his incomprehensible desire to make Ollie his successor. That's not on Nable, though, that's on the writers.

Nable is great. He's already become my favorite version of Ra's.

Would comic's Ra's set up Batman like Nabe Al Ghul is doing with Arrow? I always thought that was beneath Ra's, I was dissapointed they went with that.

I'm loving Matt Nable's Ra's. He's neck and neck with Liam Neeson at the moment for my favorite live action version of Ra's. By seasons end I've no doubt he'll be my favorite version.

Would comic's Ra's set up Batman like Nabe Al Ghul is doing with Arrow? I always thought that was beneath Ra's, I was dissapointed they went with that.

Ra's stole Bruce's parents bodies from the grave in the comics. Yes he body snatched Bruce's parents in order to distract him.

I don't see this Ra's digging up dead bodies to distract Oliver.

Based on what I've read (which admittedly isn't much), I think Ra's would definitely do it, but he just wouldn't bother getting his hands dirty.

Actually just did some research, Ra's framed Bruce for his and Talia's murders in an arch that took place in Detective Comics #444-#448

I am not sure if he is my favourite (Neeson did a very good job and I loved Batman Begins) but I think his portrayal of Ra's has been excellent. Perhaps someday he will become my favourite, there I still so much of his story to unfold, both in this season and ones to come. At the moment it is very hard for me to choose between the two but I would probably give the slight edge to Neeson.

What do people think that "Ra's al ghul" is a title not the name of the person. I keep reading it is similar to Dread pirate Roberts who also is a title of multiple successor

You know what would really redeem Ras' al Ghul in this show? If he was just playing Oliver for a fool and wants to make Nyssa al Ghul simply a colder person, push her over the edge with the misinformation Ras would choose someone else to heir the throne, therefore making Nyssa the colder and edgier person he wants her to be.

You know what would really redeem Ras' al Ghul in this show? If he was just playing Oliver for a fool and wants to make Nyssa al Ghul simply a colder person, push her over the edge with the misinformation Ras would choose someone else to heir the throne, therefore making Nyssa the colder and edgier person he wants her to be.

There is a large part of me that suspects that is what he is doing. I don't agree with you saying that he has to be redeemed though. For me Ra's/Matt has been brilliant and is a very interesting character.

I have nothing againts the actor, but the writing isn't that good for Ras' with all the "yeah kill me!!!!" like, he would never say that to Batman lol.

I'm really digging the character. Very genial and warm yet, still reserved and calculating.

Why are they so inconsistent in this series on how to pronounce Ra's?

Nable pronounces it Rayshe. Ollie, who was introduced to him, then doesn't repeat back the same thing but calls him Raz. And Det Lance, who was introduced to him last episode also says Rayshe.

So Ollie is above actually pronouncing someone's name the way they introduced themselves and decides to give it his own spin?

Maybe someone should refer to Mr Queen as Olé. And we could get Laurelle Lance, Slarday (like Sade) Wilson, Mall come Mer line etc. :o

Why can't they get someone in the film crew to keep them all consistent with their pronunciations?

Why are they so inconsistent in this series on how to pronounce Ra's?

Nable pronounces it Rayshe. Ollie, who was introduced to him, then doesn't repeat back the same thing but calls him Raz. And Det Lance, who was introduced to him last episode also says Rayshe.

So Ollie is above actually pronouncing someone's name the way they introduced themselves and decides to give it his own spin?

Maybe someone should refer to Mr Queen as Olé. And we could get Laurelle Lance, Slarday (like Sade) Wilson, Mall come Mer line etc. :o

Why can't they get someone in the film crew to keep them all consistent with their pronunciations?
From an interview with Guggenheim.

One key issue I wanted to bring up, because it came up last season when I wrote about that third episode, is the pronunciation of Ra's al Ghul's first name, which has traditionally been something close to "Ras" or "Ross" when referred to colloquially, but becomes something closer to "Resh" or "Reesh" when savvy fans discuss him.
"The beauty part of what you guys do is you just have to type it and it's the same spelling even if it's a different pronunciation," Guggenheim laughed. "Basically what we decided to do, and I think you sort saw this in Episode 2.13 when Nissa came to town, is we basically honored the two different pronunciations, some of our characters saying 'Ras' and the ones sorta more in-the-know say 'Resh' and that struck us as a very reasonable compromise. There are clearly two different schools of thought and we wanted both to be represented."

Basically it is a reference to how people in real life pronounce his name as Raas or Raysh, with the more "in the know" fans pronouncing it as Raysh.

From an interview with Guggenheim.

One key issue I wanted to bring up, because it came up last season when I wrote about that third episode, is the pronunciation of Ra's al Ghul's first name, which has traditionally been something close to "Ras" or "Ross" when referred to colloquially, but becomes something closer to "Resh" or "Reesh" when savvy fans discuss him.
"The beauty part of what you guys do is you just have to type it and it's the same spelling even if it's a different pronunciation," Guggenheim laughed. "Basically what we decided to do, and I think you sort saw this in Episode 2.13 when Nissa came to town, is we basically honored the two different pronunciations, some of our characters saying 'Ras' and the ones sorta more in-the-know say 'Resh' and that struck us as a very reasonable compromise. There are clearly two different schools of thought and we wanted both to be represented."

Well I can appreciate they want to honour both schools of thought, but if Nable says to Ollie "My name is Resh" and Ollie hears that several times, does Ollie just ignore that and still decide to call him Ras? Or maybe he has too much wax in his ears or doesn't listen very well? And why does Det Lance seem to listen better than him and says "Resh" as well? But then he's not very good at listening at other times for other things.

And doesn't Ra's get annoyed?

Ra's: It's Resh Al Ghul.

Ollie: Ok, Ras it is then.

Ra's: No, I said Resh.

Ollie. Ok Ras, I will make it a point to say it correctly.

:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"