Mattchew's fanart thread 3.0... *****ing out, hardcore style.

Preface: So this is a near-late entry because I got 75% of the way done and then MERGED ALL THE LAYERS AND SAVED and had to go back to a file I had on my flash drive that was only about 40% done. Not to mention, Photoshop and my computer are totally f-ed and crash non-stop... In short, I have components for a new comp in route to my apt as I type this... This entry is the picture that killed my current PC. Having said that...

I decided to go a little out there with the theme, since I've done a lot of Batman stuff in the past. My idea was, what if Harleen Quinzel, the future Harley Quinn, existed in the 'TDK' universe as an unhinged little girl how was obsessed with the psychotic, murderous Joker she saw on the news...

It was just kinda a fun what-if idea I had, so I tried to have fun with it and add little details and stuff.

Anyway, here it is:

little_harley.jpg

Hope you like it... I'd love to hear thoughts!​

Preface: So this is a near-late entry because I got 75% of the way done and then MERGED ALL THE LAYERS AND SAVED and had to go back to a file I had on my flash drive that was only about 40% done. Not to mention, Photoshop and my computer are totally f-ed and crash non-stop... In short, I have components for a new comp in route to my apt as I type this... This entry is the picture that killed my current PC. Having said that...

I decided to go a little out there with the theme, since I've done a lot of Batman stuff in the past. My idea was, what if Harleen Quinzel, the future Harley Quinn, existed in the 'TDK' universe as an unhinged little girl how was obsessed with the psychotic, murderous Joker she saw on the news...

It was just kinda a fun what-if idea I had, so I tried to have fun with it and add little details and stuff.

Anyway, here it is:

little_harley.jpg

Hope you like it... I'd love to hear thoughts!​

Lovin it!!!!!

The depth of the pic is amazing

As foor the theme/idea awesome.

I love that there is a well thought out purpose to the pic

Too cool for school

Here's my entry for the Aug 08 'Steampunk' contest...

Reading the theme, my mind went straight to robots and that made me think of Bender from 'Futurama'. Choosing to include Leela clinched it for me as my idea for the theme, and it was a lot of fun. Anyway, here's my entry:

Steampunk_Futurama.jpg

I tired to throw in a few *****ie futurama references, some really obvious... others, not so much:

1) In the background you can see the planet express ship.

2) The blimp in the background is broadcasting a live feed of 'Everybody Loves Hypnotoad'

3) Fry's chest does say 'Fry' in alien language 1.

4) In Fry's breast pocket is his lucky four-leaf clover.

5) Fry is drinking Slurm.

6) Bender is referenced as Bending Unit 22.

7) Too small to tell, but Serial number by the bar-code on bender is the serial number referenced by Bender in the Flexo episode.

8) Finally... The characters in bender's mouth make up a hexadecimal encoding of the phase 'bite my a$$', an abbreviation of 'bite my shiny metal a$$' a phrase that wouldn't fit, due to size limitations.

Anyway, let me know what you think!

Matt--you, good sir, are a genius. Espicially love your Batman/Joker and Steampunk Futurama pieces.

Any chance on seeing any TDK-related pics? :o

Here's my entry for the Aug 08 'Steampunk' contest...

Reading the theme, my mind went straight to robots and that made me think of Bender from 'Futurama'. Choosing to include Leela clinched it for me as my idea for the theme, and it was a lot of fun. Anyway, here's my entry:

Steampunk_Futurama.jpg

I tired to throw in a few *****ie futurama references, some really obvious... others, not so much:

1) In the background you can see the planet express ship.

2) The blimp in the background is broadcasting a live feed of 'Everybody Loves Hypnotoad'

3) Fry's chest does say 'Fry' in alien language 1.

4) In Fry's breast pocket is his lucky four-leaf clover.

5) Fry is drinking Slurm.

6) Bender is referenced as Bending Unit 22.

7) Too small to tell, but Serial number by the bar-code on bender is the serial number referenced by Bender in the Flexo episode.

8) Finally... The characters in bender's mouth make up a hexadecimal encoding of the phase 'bite my a$$', an abbreviation of 'bite my shiny metal a$$' a phrase that wouldn't fit, due to size limitations.

Anyway, let me know what you think!

Matt, as always, your art is stellar.

My only complaint however, is I don't know how "steampunk" it is. Like i mentioned in the contest thread, it's more of a futurama meets firefly concept. Firefly isn't exactly steampunk.

Steampunk involves technology based around industrial revolution and steam power. This piece really just seems like an uncivilized future. A place using westerny customs while still having technology of the future.

I don't know. I find Steampunk as a tricky genre as things always seem fall into a different subcategory.

Again. I think your piece is excellently crafted, as always.
Keep up the great work.

-Syn

Matt--you, good sir, are a genius. Espicially love your Batman/Joker and Steampunk Futurama pieces.

Any chance on seeing any TDK-related pics? :o

In time... I kinda wanna have some time away from any batman stuff for a bit, but the next batman thing i do will probably be 'TDK'-ish.

Matt, as always, your art is stellar.

My only complaint however, is I don't know how "steampunk" it is. Like i mentioned in the contest thread, it's more of a futurama meets firefly concept. Firefly isn't exactly steampunk.

Steampunk involves technology based around industrial revolution and steam power. This piece really just seems like an uncivilized future. A place using westerny customs while still having technology of the future.

I don't know. I find Steampunk as a tricky genre as things always seem fall into a different subcategory.

Again. I think your piece is excellently crafted, as always.
Keep up the great work.

-Syn

Yeah... I read that in the thread... I guess I didn't understand steampunk, so much. In researching it, i guess i thought it was more broad. In the end, it was fun and I like how it turned out, but I'll defer to anyone on whether it's 'steampunk'.

Finally finished the pic I've been working on for the last wee or so, since there isn't going to be a September contest... Or an August voting thread... Or a July voting thread.

I got a request on another forum to do another Ivy picture, and for a while now I've wanted to do a big group picture of DC Villainesses beating up on DC Heroines.

In addition, I was trying to work more with depth and more complicated poses in this picture, as I often just do straight on shots.

DC_Ladies.jpg

I'd love to hear thoughts.

Finally finished the pic I've been working on for the last wee or so, since there isn't going to be a September contest... Or an August voting thread... Or a July voting thread.

I got a request on another forum to do another Ivy picture, and for a while now I've wanted to do a big group picture of DC Villainesses beating up on DC Heroines.

In addition, I was trying to work more with depth and more complicated poses in this picture, as I often just do straight on shots.

DC_Ladies.jpg

Your artwork is beautiful, but the level of finish you have on the coloring in your pieces is far greater than the anatomy. This is just a guess but it looks like you are drawing the figures from top to bottom instead of planning out the full figure before adding details... so parts of them look incredible but it doesn't seem to "fit" together. Catwoman has an extremely long torso behind Wonderwoman, for example, and Supergirl looks like she doesn't have a ribcage.

If you don't already, I would suggest that you practice doing quick sketches of figures from life or photographs concentrating on structure and form, because at this point its the weakest link in your shtuff. Once you perfect that, you'll be a golden goose of art in my book. :woot:

Last edited:
Matt,

Love it

and guys it's called cartooning not portraiture

I always felt Matt's poses added to the sense of style in his work

Others have said it of me but he is one of the few poster's whose work I instantly recognize

DC_Ladies.jpg

Batgirl is a redhead. :p

But seriously, Matty. Great work. Your coloring skills are fantastic. But i'm starting to feel like you've gone too far. Your coloring started off really rigid, then you started to really get the hang of it. Now it seems too soft. everything has that airbrushed feeling. Really soft lines with faded tones. Your coloring really pops on hair and skin, things where the softness is needed, but when used everywhere it looses some of it's contrast, and things start to get a bit muddy visually.

Sorry for the critique M-chew. Y'know I luvs ya. I'm just here to help.

-Syn

so... not my best effort? ;)

Thanks for all the kind words and critiques. Rather than address them all, I'll just say: Message read loud and clear. I'll be taking them all into consideration when I do another piece.

thanks again. :)

ps: 4000 posts! nice!

Last edited:
so... not my best effort? ;)

As far as composition, story telling and complexity, it's definitely up there. My critique was basically to stop you from trying to push your stylistic choice too far. Because after awhile it stops working. And that's just about your coloring, not your illustration skills. Your drawing style is awesome.

Well I've decided come hell or high water, I'm gonna learn to use my graphics tablet. When I started this piece, I decided I'd force myself to use it almost exclusively.

As for the subject of this piece... I decided to do a picture of the Elphaba (The Wicked Witch of the West) from Gregory Maguire's book 'Wicked' and, obviously, 'The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz'.

elphaba.jpg

Like I said, first time really taking my graphics tab for a serious spin, so comments and critiques would be appreciated.​
This is still may fave pic of yours.:up:

It's almost exactly how I picture Elphaba.

All I got to say is that your art is amazing man!

But one thing keeps me up. What do you use? I mean photoshop and tablet? Or sth else?

Cheers

DC_Ladies.jpg

I'd love to hear thoughts.​
That is sooooooooo going in the Dark Knight caption thread.

Which means you did good.

DC_Ladies.jpg

Damn, I wish I could do stuff like that.

As far as composition, story telling and complexity, it's definitely up there. My critique was basically to stop you from trying to push your stylistic choice too far. Because after awhile it stops working. And that's just about your coloring, not your illustration skills. Your drawing style is awesome.

understood. thanks for the comments

This is still may fave pic of yours.:up:

It's almost exactly how I picture Elphaba.

As a BIG fan of that book, that's a great compliment. Thanks a lot!

All I got to say is that your art is amazing man!

But one thing keeps me up. What do you use? I mean photoshop and tablet? Or sth else?

Cheers

I use Photoshop CS3 and a tablet... and a s**t load of time and beer. ;)

That is sooooooooo going in the Dark Knight caption thread.

Which means you did good.

I have NO idea what the 'Dark Knight caption thread is', but thanks and I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction!

Damn, I wish I could do stuff like that.

Having said that to myself a BILLION times, I really really appreciate that. Best compliment ever!

glad to see you are still putting out top notch stuff mattchew :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"