MCU Fight: Captain America Vs. Gamora

Spread the word about this battle everyone!

PM your friends :up:

Even tho I like Cap more as a character, even after Civil War, this really comes to whether we've seen him at his strongest.

If yes, then Gamora would win this by the slimmest of margins, based on what I've seen so far from both.
And if we didn't see him at his best, and I want that to be the case just because I have this need to constantly see him improve and become even more badass, than he would have more than a decent chance at winning.

Even tho I like Cap more as a character, even after Civil War, this really comes to whether we've seen him at his strongest.

If yes, then Gamora would win this by the slimmest of margins, based on what I've seen so far from both.
And if we didn't see him at his best, and I want that to be the case just because I have this need to constantly see him improve and become even more badass, than he would have more than a decent chance at winning.

Well the vote should be based as much as possible on what we have seen of the character on screen and know about the character based on the information provided about them within the films. There is going to always be some speculation involved because even though we see the same things we process that information differently. However, the idea is to leave as much speculation aside as possible. Therefore, if we do not know or have any reason to believe that Cap is not already at full potential then we have to assume that he is unless we get shown otherwise later. Hope this helps.

Surfer

This is about the characters as they are now, currently.

Gamora is far stronger than Cap. The way she was holding Drax while the ship was violently crashing through a forest in GOTG2 is more impressive than anything Cap has done strenght-wise. Gamora was also holding while firing that big gun from Nebula's ship. Then during the climax of the movie she fell from the ship and effortlessly landed on the ground, that was from a bigger height than any jump Cap has done.

So Gamora is much stronger and more durable, Cap is more skilled in H2H combat but not by much, they're around the same levels of speed(though Gamora did dodge an energy blast in the first Guardians). I love Cap but Gamora takes this.

Both are Superhuman Tier

Edit: How is Cap winning the poll? What exactly is he gonna do against Gamora? lol

I couldn't agree more (on everything). Gamora takes it.

Well the vote should be based as much as possible on what we have seen of the character on screen and know about the character based on the information provided about them within the films. There is going to always be some speculation involved because even though we see the same things we process that information differently. However, the idea is to leave as much speculation aside as possible. Therefore, if we do not know or have any reason to believe that Cap is not already at full potential then we have to assume that he is unless we get shown otherwise later. Hope this helps.

Surfer

It does, thanks.
I guess my vote goes to Gamora then.

Voted Gamora. All things considered she's a pretty good fighter, is clearly superior in strength and could possibly withstand much more grievous injury better than Cap could due to her having bionic upgrades, meaning a sword strike on Cap could be much more decisive than Cap lodging the edge of the shield into her.

Granted, given Cap's tenacity and refusal to give up, as well as him having a strategic edge, this fight could go either way and depend highly on circumstances like who gets the first, clearest body shot.

I'd say both are superhuman tier.

EDIT: Misread a post, thought it was saying Gamora should be powerhouse and I was confused like "nah boy, even Top tier is a super generous tier for either of them and it's a stretch for me to even give them that high of a ceiling, but sure, I'll play that game." My bad, that's what I get for skimming even a little bit.

Last edited:
Take the "I love Cap" googles off and re-watch the fight again bro. ALONE, Iron Man had both of them beat in a matter of seconds. ALONE, they wouldn't have beaten Iron Man. It took BOTH of them to defeat Iron Man.
[YT]7j3Pu_xCjMo[/YT] [YT]rbMc8wbLwKk[/YT]

Don't want to derail the thread, but no, Cap does not defeat Iron Man alone. Look at the first 25 seconds of the first video, if it was Bucky alone, he'd be dead. If it were Cap alone, he'd have gotten taken down and had those shackles on his legs in a matter of seconds, no distractions, Iron Man would've taken the shield away.

ALONE, Gamora defeats Cap.
Cap, with help,can defeat Gamora

How "Cap didn't defeat Iron Man alone" = Cap can't defeat Gamora alone doesn't make sense to me.

I still maintain that we haven't seen anything from Gamora that suggests she could beat Cap (again Cap v Ultron, Cap v Spider Man).

This thread isn't about Cap v Iron Man - and if it was one on one, and not in an enclosed space where Tony could use his mobility advantage and high explosive rockets effectively - a bit like where I said in my post, the one you quoted, that if circumstances were different the outcome would be different.

But since you seem to really want to talk about Cap v Iron Man, why not ?

You're totally right, Cap didn't defeat Iron Man alone.

I mean Iron Man is one of the most powerful avengers, who went toe to toe with Thor - so right of the bat Cap is the underdog, and deserves some credit for those bits where he actually does take on Tony one-on-one and doesn't get completely splattered (remember where they recreate that iconic image from the Civil War comic). I believe the OP has the two characters in very different power tiers.

Anyway, it's during one of those bits where Tony's onboard computer did have to work out a specific approach to beat Cap "You can't beat him hand to hand"

And he did have Cap on the ropes after that, and if he had blasted Cap when he had the chance, during that whole "Stay down, final warning" bit the fight would have been over - Tony could have killed Bucky and flown home for a nightcap.

But having said that - that momentary distraction where Bucky grabs Tony's leg still allows Cap to press slam him , smash his helmet and leave him cowering helplessly while Cap then disables the arc reactor, and then walk away as Tony lies bloody, broken and beaten on the ground. The same Iron Man who went toe to toe with Thor.

You're totally right, that distraction made the complete curb stomp that followed possible.

I think you could comfortably say that Iron Man was winning (or at least "on top") for every part of that fight.... except the end.

To me, Gamora hasn't done anything even remotely close to that - she's fought Nebula a couple of times, killed the giant space beast (after someone pointed out its weak spot to her) got zapped by Star Lord ( Cap has taken point blank repulsor blasts, and been knocked down - but gotten back up, and also continued fighting with several gunshot wounds).

If it's any consolation, if it were Iron Man v Gamora unless the fight took place in a broom closet, Gamora had some massive guns and her sword, and Tony was completely drunk he'd probably vaporize Gamora in about 2 seconds.

I can't believe this poll is even close - and as anyone who's read my posts from the past few years knows, I'm not even a fan of Cap (although he's grown on me a bit since TWS). It's not about popularity for me, at all, it's just that we've seen Cap do a hell of a lot more than Gamora, against much more powerful opponents.

If someone can point of an example of Gamora defeating anyone -other than perhaps Groot and Nebula- of significant power or skill, I might re-think my view. Maybe after infinity war my opinion will change, but until then Cap takes this one.

Last edited:
To be fair Iron Man's armor in Civil War was demonstrably weaker than the one that took on Thor in Avengers.

Cap hit Iron Man with his shield in The Avengers (during the fight with Thor) and didn't even scratch it, in Civil War he was effecting IM with punches like what the heck. Also Iron Man's suit was powered up by 475% for most of his fight with Thor *cough* just sayin.

Just adding a little perspective, don't let me get anyone off topic.

Last edited:
Again totally even overall. I voted for Cap just on a strategic advantage. I would put them both in the superhuman tier.

lol Im soooooooooooo biased voting in this polls I feel guilty :ninja::ninja:
just b/c Gamora is one of my faves & Cap is the least fav characters

lol Im soooooooooooo biased voting in this polls I feel guilty :ninja::ninja:
just b/c Gamora is one of my faves & Cap is the least fav characters

Well maybe you will help to even out all those supposed people that voted for Cap based on his popularity alone. In the end though, I think that most fans are voting for who they think would actually win the battle. Could some of that be due to the fact that their perceptions might be a little skewed by liking one character better than the other. Perhaps, but I think the battle is close enough that perception has to way into it to some degree, and to that effect it's hard to totally separate out one's bias when speculating on these battles. So, if it is happening I don't think it is intentional, as much as it is just part of human nature to see things the way we want to when it's this close.

Cup half empty

Cup half full

Who is right?

Surfer

To be fair Iron Man's armor in Civil War was demonstrably weaker than the one that took on Thor in Avengers.

Cap hit Iron Man with his shield in The Avengers (during the fight with Thor) and didn't even scratch it, in Civil War he was effecting IM with punches like what the heck. Also Iron Man's suit was powered up by 475% for most of his fight with Thor *cough* just sayin.

There was context to that fight. The point was Iron man needed a 4x amp just to fight Thor. Forgot the "only hid blast was stronger" "the suit had more life" stuff, the point was, that was Iron man 4x stronger and more powerful than his normal suit.

Per the film comic, Thor was depowered from Odin,s teleportation.

So, a 4x amped Iron man barely holding his own (and clearly losing) to a depowered Thor is not a GOOD showing for him. It's just a showing. The whole point was that Iron man was being cocky and pissing off someone who could have torn the suit apart if he wanted to.

That said, Iron man is still above Cap. It took a team to beat him down and Cap needed to use 8 of his strongest hits with the shield just to crunch his suit's chest.

Gamora is stronger and more durable. But given his skill and use of the shield, he can take her in a close fight.

But if they fought 10 times, I'd say Gamora wins 3-4 of them

I'd say best of 5, I'd give Cap a 3-2 advantage.

Clearly they're pretty evenly matched. Based on what we've seen though, the issue most have is that we haven't seen as much of Gamora as a strategic thinker. She also tends to favor a regular sword or gun rather than Cap's Vibranium Shield.

Straight up ring no weapons match I'd probably even give Gamora the advantage. With geography & gear playing a role I'd go Cap.

Pretty sure I've voted for the loser every time now.

Gamora, Ego, Drax, Abomination...

Maybe I'm watching different movies than y'all.

In hypothetical matches between fictional characters like this, it all comes down to feats. Problem with this match as far as I can tell is that Cap has significantly more feats than Gamora because he's been in 5 MCU films while she's only been in 2. Higher number of appearances = more feats, more feats = clearer understanding of what each character is capable of. Based on backstory alone (alien, child soldier, trained by Thanos) Gamora should probably have this in the bag. The problem is I never saw real evidence of her being as dangerous as the films talk her up to be. The most impressive things I've seen mentioned here are strength feats, and we've seen Cap handle opponents stronger than him.

:cec:

In hypothetical matches between fictional characters like this, it all comes down to feats. Problem with this match as far as I can tell is that Cap has significantly more feats than Gamora because he's been in 5 MCU films while she's only been in 2. Higher number of appearances = more feats, more feats = clearer understanding of what each character is capable of. Based on backstory alone (alien, child soldier, trained by Thanos) Gamora should probably have this in the bag. The problem is I never saw real evidence of her being as dangerous as the films talk her up to be. The most impressive things I've seen mentioned here are strength feats, and we've seen Cap handle opponents stronger than him.

Which opponents? Cap even struggled with regular humans like Batroc and Rumlow, not for long but still.

He wasn't even trying to hurt them, he just tried to get their attention.

Ultron, Spider-Man, Iron Man....

The Spider-Man in the MCU is significantly less experienced than the previous versions, he lost all his fights in Homecoming. Cap was no match for Iron Man. You kinda have a point with Ultron because he's technically a big threat but they nerfed him too much on that fight, still a fair and valid feat though.

The Spider-Man in the MCU is significantly less experienced than the previous versions, he lost all his fights in Homecoming. Cap was no match for Iron Man. You kinda have a point with Ultron because he's technically a big threat but they nerfed him too much on that fight, still a fair and valid feat though.

Your original question was who are characters that Cap has fought who are much stronger than him.

Spider-Man is a great example of Cap's amazing tactical skills - he defeated spidey, who is far stronger and faster, and without really hurting him by using his skills, brains and the shield. You're a absolutely right that MCU Spider-Man is very inexperienced and that does negate part of his physical advantages ( weird that in civil war he takes out Bucky, Falcon and helps defeat Giant man, but shocked gives him a tough time)

I think it's a bit hard to say that Cap is no match for Iron Man, given that Cap absolutely defeated him at the end of Civil War, and chose to walk away.

Now had that fight been in open ground,and one on one from the start, I agree it would be a different story. Cap only has even a small chance in close quarters.

But there's no denying who won that fight, and yeah Cap had help, but all it took was a momentary distraction for Cap to unleash and defeat Tony.

And then there's Ultron.....

Can't believe I'm having to argue this hard for Cap. Until TWS I couldn't stand him.

He wasn't even trying to hurt them, he just tried to get their attention.

It's still a shield throw nonetheless and much more powerful than Cap punching with his fist

Your original question was who are characters that Cap has fought who are much stronger than him.

Spider-Man is a great example of Cap's amazing tactical skills - he defeated spidey, who is far stronger and faster, and without really hurting him by using his skills, brains and the shield. You're a absolutely right that MCU Spider-Man is very inexperienced and that does negate part of his physical advantages ( weird that in civil war he takes out Bucky, Falcon and helps defeat Giant man, but shocked gives him a tough time)

I think it's a bit hard to say that Cap is no match for Iron Man, given that Cap absolutely defeated him at the end of Civil War, and chose to walk away.

Now had that fight been in open ground,and one on one from the start, I agree it would be a different story. Cap only has even a small chance in close quarters.

But there's no denying who won that fight, and yeah Cap had help, but all it took was a momentary distraction for Cap to unleash and defeat Tony.

And then there's Ultron.....

Can't believe I'm having to argue this hard for Cap. Until TWS I couldn't stand him.

That's the key word "help". He had help to defeat Iron Man.

No he's really no match for Iron Man. Like Superman told Batman, if Iron Man wanted it, Cap would be dead.

Are you saying Cap would be with help versus Gamora?

Captain America: Civil War has to be the bane of every Iron Man fans existence.

Iron Man should've washed Cap and Bucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"