MCU Fight: Thor Vs. Captain Marvel (Rematch)

Nobody's said anything about a mark of shame. In fact, I actually brought up surviving it as a durability feat for Carol.
All I've argued is that it's not quite on the same level as Thor's feats against Infinity Stone blasts and a neutron star:
  • surviving repeat hits from the reality stone
  • surviving torture with the power stone held direct to the face
  • surviving a power stone blast large enough to obliterate a ship
  • tanking the full force of a star for 50 seconds whilst holding a gigantic mechanism open.
  • throwing an axe with enough force to cut through a blast from the completed Infinity Gauntlet.
I am not downplaying Thor surviving the blast from the star, but I would argue Carol would have been less injured by it since her powers are based on energy absorption, so that seems like a feat geared towards her specialty. But that is speculation admittedly on my part and not tangible evidence. But the power stone to the face is not equal to Carol taking a full blast. Again, Thanos is barely is using it to torture Thor. That blast was a desperation hay-maker where Thanos no doubt put all he could into it. Once again, context matters.

So now you're downplaying Thor being tortured by having 'one of the six most powerful objects in the universe' blasted point blank at his face for 15 seconds as though it's a mark of shame?
Seems pretty hypocritical.

Again, context matters. Thanos is clearly not using the stone to any great extent in that sequence. It's relevant to the discussion. But I am not brushing off other feats of Thor's to insinuate he is weak or anything. He's quite clearly not weak. But Carol I think does outclass him, even based on small sample size.

As I've said already, that's a great blunt force durability feat for Carol and better than Thor's feats taking hits from Hulk. I just don't think that's enough to win her the fight when Carol doesn't have any feats hurting someone on Thor's level whereas Thor has lightning and Stormbreaker to put her down with.

Thanos may have taken the greatest hit of the 2 of them from Thor with Stormbreaker, but other blows we have seen by Thor to Thanos (a common opponent) did less than anything Carol did to him. So I think Carol most definitely does have a trump on Thor in this regard. Even if this is only based on 1 common foe, but Carol's sample size is smaller.

We're likely not going to agree on the rest but I just wanted to focus in on this point:

I am not downplaying Thor surviving the blast from the star, but I would argue Carol would have been less injured by it since her powers are based on energy absorption
Obviously we know the 616 Carol's powers work based on absorbing energy of various kinds but I don't think it's clear that MCU Carol's powers work the same way yet, is it?
I thought her powers just came from being infused with the power of the space stone (plus a kree blood transfusion)

Thanos actually got to panic mode against Carolina EG, he didn’t even get to that point with Stormbreaker buried in his chest in IW. He was hurt yes, but he was almost calm at that point.

Thanks vs Carol in EG was the only time we saw him struggle and panic in either IW or EG.

Carol's got power from the Space Stone. Hard to say what that's worth. Also we've not really ever seen her be given a challenge. Thus far once the inhibitor was off she was full on taking out ships and missiles all kinds of things no problem.

Thor full on would offer her a challenge but I'm not sure he can over come powers granted by the infinity stones. Also have we seen her go binary?

Thanos actually got to panic mode against Carolina EG, he didn’t even get to that point with Stormbreaker buried in his chest in IW. He was hurt yes, but he was almost calm at that point.

Thanks vs Carol in EG was the only time we saw him struggle and panic in either IW or EG.
Come on now... Thanos wasn't panicking because he was badly hurt and basically dying.
He had a massive axe stuck into his chest. When Thor forced it through him, Thanos was screaming in agony... He basically used his last breath to snap his fingers.

Noone in either IW or AEG injured Thanos as badly as Thor did with Stormbreaker. And that's a fact.
He panicked against Scarlet Witch in AEG and struggled against Captain Marvel in AEG. In IW against Thor he wasn't panicking or struggling he was on his dying breath.

Well, Earth is still standing, so that one no. But you're going to base the power of the stone's blast on what exactly? When Thanos was barely using it on Thor's head, it was killing him. It seems like you're acting like that was a meager blast, when it was a forceful hit from an object that can destroy planets without trying. Even if that punch operated the stone at 25%, that is 25% of planet destroying force straight onto Carol. I bet that one shots Thor, as well.
Your blowing that feat way out of proportion. Yes she got hit with a punch from the Power Stone... So what? Iron Man also got hit by the exact same thing on Titan in IW. Seconds later he was back trying to make some damage.

Thanos was "barely" using the stone? Barely?
Thor was severely beaten at that point. He was motionless laying on the ground when Thanos picked him up and used the Power Stone at point blank directly into his head in order to make it explode. Putting things into context helps to paint a more accurate picture.

Come on now... Thanos wasn't panicking because he was badly hurt and basically dying.
He had a massive axe stuck into his chest. When Thor forced it through him, Thanos was screaming in agony... He basically used his last breath to snap his fingers.

Noone in either IW or AEG injured Thanos as badly as Thor did with Stormbreaker. And that's a fact.
He panicked against Scarlet Witch in AEG and struggled against Captain Marvel in AEG. In IW against Thor he wasn't panicking or struggling he was on his dying breath.

He was dying but managed to perform the snap, transport himself away and went and sat down and smiled in his hut? He was hurt no doubt, but was quite clearly not dying. He even took a moment to mock Thor before the snap.

He was dying but managed to perform the snap, transport himself away and went and sat down and smiled in his hut? He was hurt no doubt, but was quite clearly not dying. He even took a moment to mock Thor before the snap.
Yes. The axe was stuck deeply into his chest, the whole blade side from Stormbreaker was inside of him... After he teleported away he fixed himself up, likely with the help of the gauntlet because there was no apparent damage to his chest when he sat down in the cabin...

He was badly hurt and dying basically. If not for the gauntlet he probably would have died soon after.
Thanos was in shock, then in excruciating pain, difficulty breathing/talking... No-one put him in a worst shape than that.

I voted Thor but I really feel they are on pretty equal footing. There will always be power inconsistencies between the movies (just like how trashed down Thor was in Endgame, at least in my opinion). But I'd reckon IW Thor and Captain Marvel are pretty equal

Your blowing that feat way out of proportion. Yes she got hit with a punch from the Power Stone... So what? Iron Man also got hit by the exact same thing on Titan in IW. Seconds later he was back trying to make some damage.

Thanos was "barely" using the stone? Barely?
Thor was severely beaten at that point. He was motionless laying on the ground when Thanos picked him up and used the Power Stone at point blank directly into his head in order to make it explode. Putting things into context helps to paint a more accurate picture.

Iron Man also had an armor, that also lost valuable nanites in the process. The armor took much of the damage. Also, yes Thanos has the stone pressed up to Thor, but he was clearly not using the same account of energy. Otherwise, why didn't it radiate all around him like it did when he hit Carol? Pressing a dudes head up against a stone requires far less effort than making a concussive blast. So you're right, context paints a more accurate picture. But clearly in my favor I feel.

Captain Marvel's displays of power in these films are more impressive than Thor's from my vantage point.

Carol is on a different PLANET to Thor and us Thor fans just need to accept that. We allowed a few visually cool, but ultimately meaningless, showings from Ragnarok and IW to shape our view of the character and overrate his power levels.

EG showed that he is still, and probably always will be, Marvel's No.1 jobber.

For those still arguing that Thor is superior to Carol, take this:

Thor gets headbutted by Thanos: Gets KTFO.

Carol gets headbutted by Thanos: Doesn't flinch.

And Thor "surviving" the Power stone is meaningless. Bucky and Okoye both survived blasts from it as well. Are they planetary too? On the other hand, we know that the blast Carol took was the real deal since he was genuinely frightened and on the verge of having the Gauntlet ripped out of his hands.

Let me put it this way: if Carol had been the one to show up in Wakanda in IW, the movie would have ended...differently.

Carol is on a different PLANET to Thor and us Thor fans just need to accept that.
I can respect people who think she'd win but Carol and Thor at his peak are definitely in the same league. Like I set out yesterday, Carol has the advantage in some ways but there are multiple aspects where Thor has better feats

yesterday I said:
  • They both have incredible physical strength (advantage for Thor due to more/better feats)
  • They're both skilled fighters with superhuman reactions (advantage for Thor due to more feats/experience and skill with weapons)
  • They're both ridiculously durable against blunt force (advantage for Carol since shrugging off punches from Thanos tops shrugging off punches from Hulk)
  • They're both extremely durable against energy attacks (major advantage for Thor, that "full force of a star" feat was insane)
  • They both have ranged energy attacks (Carol has photon blasts that can tear through kree ships. Thor has his lightning that can tear through armies, stun Hela and ragdoll Thanos.)
  • They both have feats flying through huge enemy spaceships (advantage for Carol since her flight speed is on another level)
  • Thor has an axe powerful enough to cut through an Infinity Gauntlet beam and one shot Thanos, and Carol is unarmed (huge advantage for Thor)
We allowed a few visually cool, but ultimately meaningless, showings from Ragnarok and IW to shape our view of the character and overrate his power levels.
Tosh. Thor got a lot of feats in Ragnarok/Infinity War that were more than just visually cool. Some of them are comparable to stuff Carol's done or not far behind (e.g. surviving a power stone explosion meant to kill him, taking hits from Hulk without a scratch, flying through the outrider ships to destroy them), some of them are feats Carol has no equivalent to (e.g. enduring the "full force of a star", throwing his axe through an Infinity Gauntlet beam and into Thanos chest).

EG showed that an out of shape, alcoholic version of Thor who hadn't trained in 5 years was no match for Thanos. I'm pretty sure a fat, alcoholic version of Carol would be way weaker too.

Let me put it this way: if Carol had been the one to show up in Wakanda in IW, the movie would have ended...differently.
Carol tried to stop Thanos from snapping in Endgame, she was in the perfect position (holding the gauntlet open) and he outwitted her and one shotted her with the power stone.

Last edited:
Okay? Yay for needlessly passive aggressive posts, I guess? I don't see any other reason for that particular reply.

There's nothing passive about directly responding to someone's post.

Iron Man also had an armor, that also lost valuable nanites in the process. The armor took much of the damage. Also, yes Thanos has the stone pressed up to Thor, but he was clearly not using the same account of energy. Otherwise, why didn't it radiate all around him like it did when he hit Carol? Pressing a dudes head up against a stone requires far less effort than making a concussive blast. So you're right, context paints a more accurate picture. But clearly in my favor I feel.
Not if you take the full thing into consideration. Thanos "didn't use the same amount of energy" because Thor was already beaten to a pulp. That's the whole point.

There's nothing passive about directly responding to someone's post.

Your post is intended to be a personal dig. Not in a "you're a moron and I hate your face" kind of way, but in a "oh, of course YOU would say that" kind of way. I can read between the lines. Which really is not productive when you're trying to create a thread with active discourse. For some reason, the fact I don't instantly say Thor > EVERYTHING in the polls seems to bother you, but isn't the thread intended for debate? If so, then maybe don't make personal digs at your posters. Unless it is not actual debate you want, and you just want everyone to fawn over Thor blindly and without question. Just saying.

Not if you take the full thing into consideration. Thanos "didn't use the same amount of energy" because Thor was already beaten to a pulp. That's the whole point.

Right. Thanos was not using the stone as much because Thor already lost, and Carol was still in the fight. But either way, surviving a full blast from the power stone in the heat of combat > surviving slow torture

Last edited:
Yes. The axe was stuck deeply into his chest, the whole blade side from Stormbreaker was inside of him... After he teleported away he fixed himself up, likely with the help of the gauntlet because there was no apparent damage to his chest when he sat down in the cabin...

He was badly hurt and dying basically. If not for the gauntlet he probably would have died soon after.
Thanos was in shock, then in excruciating pain, difficulty breathing/talking... No-one put him in a worst shape than that.

Sorry but to me he was clearly not dying, even taking the hut scene away, he mocked Thor, performed the snap, looked around and then teleported away, all of which take effort, as Endgame showed. Especially the snap, in pain yes he was I won’t deny. But he was quite clearly not dying in the movie.

As for the hut scene, his arm was still clearly damaged, and we have never seen the stones used for healing, so your assumption that he fixed his chest (and chest only) after is just fabrication to me.

Carol had Thanos on his knees with no weapons and was laughing off his attacks, she is clearly more powerful. Even as a huge Hulk fan, I would vote for Carol to beat him after Endgame clearly showed her as the most powerful.

Carol is on a different PLANET to Thor and us Thor fans just need to accept that. We allowed a few visually cool, but ultimately meaningless, showings from Ragnarok and IW to shape our view of the character and overrate his power levels.

For those still arguing that Thor is superior to Carol, take this:

Thor gets headbutted by Thanos: Gets KTFO.

Carol gets headbutted by Thanos: Doesn't flinch.

And Thor "surviving" the Power stone is meaningless. Bucky and Okoye both survived blasts from it as well. Are they planetary too? On the other hand, we know that the blast Carol took was the real deal since he was genuinely frightened and on the verge of having the Gauntlet ripped out of his hands.

This. She's in another level, by far (just like Feige said a hundred times!). She mops the floor with thor. But it's ok to live in denial. :)

Your post is intended to be a personal dig. Not in a "you're a moron and I hate your face" kind of way, but in a "oh, of course YOU would say that" kind of way. I can read between the lines. Which really is not productive when you're trying to create a thread with active discourse. For some reason, the fact I don't instantly say Thor > EVERYTHING in the polls seems to bother you, but isn't the thread intended for debate? If so, then maybe don't make personal digs at your posters. Unless it is not actual debate you want, and you just want everyone to fawn over Thor blindly and without question. Just saying.

Yes I fawn over Thor so blindly that I voted for Captain Marvel as soon as I posted this and I've voted against him several times in the Tag Team Battle threads.

Nice try though :up: and my post was not meant to be a personal dig just an observation.

Yes I fawn over Thor so blindly that I voted for Captain Marvel as soon as I posted this and I've voted against him several times in the Tag Team Battle threads.

Nice try though :up: and my post was not meant to be a personal dig just an observation.

Regardless of whatever intent you have, it came off like a personal dig. I'm not going to bog this thread down with pointless bickering, but in general posts like the one you made add absolutely nothing. So, I would advise against making posts like that in the future, cause you're just going to end up getting responses like the one I made to it. Ultimately, what's the point of that type of exchange?

Last edited:
Captain Marvel and I don't really think it's close

giphy.gif

I can respect people who think she'd win but Carol and Thor at his peak are definitely in the same league. Like I set out yesterday, Carol has the advantage in some ways but there are multiple aspects where Thor has better feats

I really don't see how Thor is really in the same league as Carol anywhere to be honest. She is faster, stronger, more durable and has better energy projection.

She would have replicated his star feat with relative ease imo.

Tosh. Thor got a lot of feats in Ragnarok/Infinity War that were more than just visually cool. Some of them are comparable to stuff Carol's done or not far behind (e.g. surviving a power stone explosion meant to kill him,

We have no evidence that that explosion was intended to kill Thor. Most of the time when Thanos used the Power Stone he used it at a pretty low level, such as when he used it to knock down Bucky and Cap. The only times when he used it properly were when he busted the moon in IW and when he KO'd Carol in EG.

taking hits from Hulk without a scratch,

Hulk straight up KO'd him, and he was left with bruises afterwards.

flying through the outrider ships to destroy them),

Those were tiny compared to Thanos' flagship, which Carol obliterated with ease.

some of them are feats Carol has no equivalent to (e.g. enduring the "full force of a star",

As noted above, Carol would most likely have no trouble replicating this, and she would probably find it much easier than Thor did, given that her whole schtick is energy absorption.

throwing his axe through an Infinity Gauntlet beam and into Thanos chest).

That beam is totally unquantifiable. We have no idea how powerful it was. Also, the Russo's explicitly stated that Thanos was caught off balance by Thor and didn't use the Gauntlet to its full potential.

showed that an out of shape, alcoholic version of Thor who hadn't trained in 5 years was no match for Thanos. I'm pretty sure a fat, alcoholic version of Carol would be way weaker too.

As I've argued elsewhere, there's no real evidence (beyond what fans read into the movie) that Thor was any weaker in EG. He was no slower in combat than usual and IW already established that Thanos is a lot stronger than Thor.

And the same would likely apply to Carol if she were to spend five years playing Fortnite and drinking beer.

Carol tried to stop Thanos from snapping in Endgame, she was in the perfect position (holding the gauntlet open) and he outwitted her and one shotted her with the power stone.

Except Carol was a fighting a far more dangerous Thanos than the one in IW. IW Thanos was basically in second gear for the entire movie. He never really broke sweat or showed any sign of fear (including against Thor). EG Thanos, however, was far more ruthless and intending to kill every single one of the Avengers. He had no scruples about using the Stones to their full capacities and yet, even he was unable to do anything to Carol without the stones.

He didn't outwit her; he was legit fearing for his life and went for an all-out attack to try and save himself from a humiliating death.

And my point about Carol not failing if she were in Thor's shoes in IW still stands. I highly doubt that she would have made his mistake in not going for the head, and then just stand perfectly still like a dumb*** while he snaps his fingers.

Let me put it this way: do you honestly think that Thor could shrug off a headbutt from Thanos like Carol did?

In fact, I don't even have to answer that question since Thanos literally headbutted Thor to break out of Thor and Cap's attempt to restrain him. Thor was flung backwards and KTFO.

There's a reason why Cap and Nat sent Carol to rescue Tony and carry the Benatar back to Earth. She's the closest thing the MCU has to Superman and Thor (whether in Lebowski form or not) just can't compete.

Last edited:
Sorry but to me he was clearly not dying, even taking the hut scene away, he mocked Thor, performed the snap, looked around and then teleported away, all of which take effort, as Endgame showed. Especially the snap, in pain yes he was I won’t deny. But he was quite clearly not dying in the movie.

As for the hut scene, his arm was still clearly damaged, and we have never seen the stones used for healing, so your assumption that he fixed his chest (and chest only) after is just fabrication to me.

Carol had Thanos on his knees with no weapons and was laughing off his attacks, she is clearly more powerful. Even as a huge Hulk fan, I would vote for Carol to beat him after Endgame clearly showed her as the most powerful.
Thanos was badly hurt. And no-one in both IW and AEG injured Thanos as badly as Thor did.

In Wakanda and after he performed the snap and teleported away, he had a massive purple bloody hole in his chest and in the hut that same injury was gone and even the armour looked spotless. Something happened there for sure. Also the time stone has been used to revert Vision back to life so it's not a stretch that it could be used to heal himself.

Checkout the video and look closely at his chest injury. And how it starts glowing green when Thanos teleports out of there. There's no fabrication whatsoever. It's there for anyone to see.

A fat and out of shape Thor also had Thanos on his knees for a while. Oh so your are a Hulk fan... I get it then.

Thanos was badly hurt. And no-one in both IW and AEG injured Thanos as badly as Thor did.

Only because Thor caught Thanos off-balance and had a weapon specifically designed to kill him. Honestly, even Cap could have replicated what Thor did at the end of IW assuming he had the element of surprise

The difference is that Carol was crushing Thanos with her bare hands. An unarmed Thor would die in seconds against Thanos.

In Wakanda and after he performed the snap and teleported away, he had a massive purple bloody hole in his chest and in the hut that same injury was gone and even the armour looked spotless. Something happened there for sure. Also the time stone has been used to revert Vision back to life so it's not a stretch that it could be used to heal himself.

If so, then why didn't he use it to heal his left arm, which was still charred black at the end of IW?

A fat and out of shape Thor also had Thanos on his knees for a while. Oh so your are a Hulk fan... I get it then.

Nope, that never happened. Thor managed (with both Stormbreaker and Mjolnir AND Cap) to temporarily restrain Thanos. And then Thanos headbutted him and Thor was KTFO.

And Thanos was unarmed at that point.

I don't have the energy or the patience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"