MCU Fight: Thor Vs. Captain Marvel (Rematch)

She is faster
  • In a race? Sure, her flight speed is on another level (although to be fair, Thor can teleport).
  • In combat? Not so much. Yonn Rogg was consistently beating her in hand to hand. Thanos was able to grab and throw her and to grab the power stone and one shot her with it before she could react. I don't think her reflexes are any faster than Thor's and Thor has better skill feats.

She's obviously strong but she only really has two strength feats to judge her by:
  • holding the gauntlet open to prevent Thanos snapping and lifting his arm with her whole body
  • catching the Kree missile
They're very good feats but I don't think they're better than Thor turning the rings around Nidavellir.

more durable
  • Durability against blunt force: No argument here, Carol's feat tanking a hit from Thanos without even flinching is on another level to Thor tanking multiple hits from Hulk without a scratch (Hulk only KO'd him after Grandmaster made Thor vulnerable with the obedience disk).
  • Durability against energy attacks: MCU Carol hasn't shown the ability to absorb energy and her best feat is being KO'd by the power stone but surviving. I don't think that's better than Thor's multiple feats against the power stone/reality stone and I definitely don't think it's better than enduring the full force of a star for 50 seconds whilst holding an enormous mechanism open.
  • Durability against blades: Thor's got a healing factor that let him fight through multiple stab wounds from Hela. Carol's featless against blades and I highly doubt she'd survive a hit from Stormbreaker.

and has better energy projection.
So far, we've seen Carol use her energy projection to destroy Kree spaceships and one shot Yon Rogg. She wasn't able to hurt Thanos and we haven't seen her hurt anyone else on Thor's level.

We've seen Thor:
  • use his lightning to kill multiple Chitauri Leviathans with one blast
  • charge Mjolnir with a storm and crack vibranium (causing a vibranium backlash that disintegrated Sokovia)
  • charge his punches with lightning powerful enough to send Hulk flying
  • summon a storm that stunned/ragdolled Hela so that she fell limp onto the courtyard below
  • cloak himself in lightning and single handedly tear through armies whilst summoning bolts from the sky.
  • stun/ragdoll Thanos with a lightning bolt channeled through Stormbreaker.
She would have replicated his star feat with relative ease imo.
I'll believe it when I see an energy durability feat on that level from her.

Most of the time when Thanos used the Power Stone he used it at a pretty low level......the only times when he used it properly were when he busted the moon in IW and when he KO'd Carol in EG.
Honestly, I'm pretty sure the only time Thanos used the power stone to its full planet destroying potential was when he cracked the surface of Titan's moon.

We can only speculate which was more powerful out of the power stone blast that KO'd Carol, the sustained point blank blast used to torture Thor, the one that destroyed the Asgardian ship and KO'd Thor, the blast Iron Man was able to endure and the various others we've seen.

It's worth remembering Thor also shrugged off repeat hits from the reality stone in Dark World and cut through a blast from the completed gauntlet with Stormbreaker in IW.

Overall, it seems to me he's got better feats against the stones than Carol does.

There's no real evidence (beyond what fans read into the movie) that Thor was any weaker in EG.
  1. It seems very obvious that when you spend five years as an alcoholic slob, gain masses of weight, don't train or fight, let your muscles atrophy and muscle memory fade, you'll end up a far worse fighter.
  2. The Avengers chose Hulk to wear the gauntlet and undo the snap because Thor was a shadow of his former self.
  3. In Infinity War, he ragdolled Thanos with lightning, reacted to a beam from the completed Infinity Gauntlet by cutting through it with Stormbreaker and almost killed Thanos with one hit. In Endgame, Thanos curbstomped him without difficulty. That's an enormous difference and the 'Thor got the drop on Thanos in IW' argument doesn't fully explain it.
I stand by my view that
IW Thor with Stormbreaker > Carol >>>>>> Fat Thor.

Last edited:
I don't have the energy or the patience.

Love your comment about me being a Hulk fan, that's not presumptuous at all. And Fosterson answered for me, but why would Thanos only heal his chest and not his charred arm. Thor needed an Asgardian God weapon to hurt Thanos, Carol was making him struggle with her bare hands.

I am much of a Thor fan than Captain Marvel fan, but she is clearly more powerful than ANY other Avenger except maybe Scarlet Witch. Endgame makes that clear. And as I clearly said in my last post, in Carol Vs Hulk battle I would vote Carol despite being a much bigger Hulk fan, simply because I judge with what my eyes see rather than bias.

'Avengers: Infinity War' Directors Address if Thanos Is Able to Heal His Arm
As part of the Vudu Viewing Party for the Marvel Cinematic Film that released on digital last week, the Russo Brothers answered fan questions about Infinity War on Twitter. One fan asked if the Mad Titan would be able to heal the damage to his arm the way he healed from Thor's chest strike with Stormbreaker as well as if he could use the Infinity Stones to fix the Gauntlet. Turns out, that answer is maybe.

"Perhaps, but there is a cost to using the power of the Stones," the directors said.

"See there, with his Gauntlet and the arm, the power that it takes to use all six Stones is significant, and clearly damaged the Gauntlet and damaged Thanos permanently," Russo said.
Also Thanos using the Time Stone to revert his injury to the chest.

ctpy7wnbvxe11.jpg

Last edited:
Not gonna debate with anybody on this subject, but I want whatever you guys are taking. If what you're taking leads you to believe that somehow CM is "on a completely different planet" than Thor, it must be pretty great stuff.

Thor in IW is the pinnacle of power in the MCU. Withstanding the power of a star, moving the rings, and crippling an omnipotent Thanos after tanking a blast from the completed gauntlet are far greater feats than anything Carol Danvers has done so far. Not sure how she's done anything that even comes close to that power level (actually, nobody has come that close in the MCU at all). She's powerful, but there's no way in hell she's Thor in Infinity War powerful. The same goes with Scarlet Witch, Doctor Strange, and Hulk. Sure, they all have their moments, but there are zero power feats that come even remotely close to what Thor has accomplished in the MCU as far as heroes are concerned. This is why I'm getting nervous about Adam Warlock, because I don't want anybody to suddenly upstage Thor after all he's accomplished.

Until she moves planets, as she apparently was supposed to do, Thor is still the most powerful Avenger in my opinion. I'm not a "Thor fanboy in denial", I'm just telling things as they are. If you recall, Thor in Endgame (who's significantly weaker than in Infinity War!) also took the full force of a fresh, enraged Thanos like a champ all while pinned against a rock: a lot more impressive than a prime, fresh Carol Danvers taking a tiny head-butt from a presumably more worn-out Thanos who had already gotten his ass kicked by a multitude of other Avengers prior.

To clarify I try to use the most current versions of each character in the battle forums so this is indeed Fat Thor so I voted Carol.

I just realized that Fat Thor never used the bifrost in Endgame even in situations where it would've proven very useful. Imo that's a pretty clear indicator that Thor was indeed nerfed in Endgame so other characters can shine (as if being out of shape, alcoholic, and mentally distressed weren't enough).

this is indeed Fat Thor so I voted Carol.

You couldn't have made that clear sooner?

Most of us have been debating Thor at his peak vs Carol since Monday.

To clarify I try to use the most current versions of each character in the battle forums

So Fat Thor, ghostly Red Skull, old man Cap and nerd Hulk with a broken arm?

To me it's way more interesting to compare the classic/most powerful incarnations of each character.

Last edited:

We've been debating Thor at his peak vs Carol since Monday.

Not to mention if you think Thor was screwed just for the sake of making other characters look better and you feel mad about it, just say it from the start, no need to create a poll about something you obviously feel is illegitimate and then wait till page 6 to complain about it. Seems weirdly too personal considering we've all seen what peak Thor can do already. Plus we already saw Thor win the other poll

I initially voted for peak Thor as well, even though I was really uncertain. Now I'll vote for Captain Marvel.

Last edited:
Not to mention if you think Thor was screwed just for the sake of making other characters look better and you feel mad about it, just say it from the start, no need to create a poll about something you obviously feel is illegitimate and then wait till page 6 to complain about it. Seems weirdly too personal considering we've all seen what peak Thor can do already. Plus we already saw Thor win the other poll

I initially voted for peak Thor as well, even though I was really uncertain. Now I'll vote for Captain Marvel.

Lol why would I be mad? These are fictional characters anger is far to strong of an emotion to feel about who is stronger than who (annoyance is about the most I'd feel nowdays). I haven't been constantly complaing and moaning about Thor's portayal as some posters have, I've stated my opinion a few times and moved on. My feeling that Thor was nerfed to help other character shine come mostly from The Russo Bros flat out saying "Character who got the spotlight in IW will take a backseat to characters who didn't" along with actual visual evidence (out of shape, alcoholic, ramdomly forgeting to use Stormbreakers most useful power). So it's not just some "wacky disguntled Thor fan's theory" like numerous posters keep trying to paint it to be there actually is a good basis to that claim.

I made a poll because people were blowing up the old Thor Vs Captain Marvel threads practically begging for a rematch (go look). You guys jump to the craziest made up conclusions I've ever seen on this site and I must admit it's gotten pretty old.

Most of us have been debating Thor at his peak vs Carol since Monday.

So Fat Thor, ghostly Red Skull, old man Cap and nerd Hulk with a broken arm?

To me it's way more interesting to compare the classic/most powerful incarnations of each character.

I haven't been as active on this thread as I usually am because I'm dealing with the bulk of funeral arrangements for a family memeber.

I thought it was pretty clear which version of the character I was using based on using him in thr actual gif. Whenever a character goes through a major change and indicate which version of the character it is by using that version's picture/gif, I've said it several times at this point.

Last edited:
Lol why would I be mad? These are fictional characters anger is far to strong of an emotion to feel about who is stronger than who (annoyance is about the most I'd feel nowdays). I haven't been constantly complaing and moaning about Thor's portayal as some posters have, I've stated my opinion a few times and moved on. My feeling that Thor was nerfed to help other character shine come mostly from The Russo Bros flat out saying "Character who got the spotlight in IW will take a backseat to characters who didn't" along with actual visual evidence (out of shape, alcoholic, ramdomly forgeting to use Stormbreakers most useful power). So it's not just some "wacky disguntled Thor fan's theory" like numerous posters keep trying to paint it to be there actually is a good basis to that claim.

I made a poll because people were blowing up the old Thor Vs Captain Marvel threads practically begging for a rematch (go look). You guys jump to the craziest made up conclusions I've ever seen on this site and I must admit it's gotten pretty old.

I haven't been as active on this thread as I usually am because I'm dealing with the bulk of funeral arrangements for a family memeber.

OK, my apology.

But a rematch to me suggests peak powers, otherwise it's mute. Peak Thor vs. CM is what I assumed, since Thor dominated the last poll and we now have more displays of CM's power, which actually does change the outlook and is an interesting poll to frame a rematch.

Very sorry to hear that man.

I thought it was pretty clear which version of the character I was using based on using him in thr actual gif. Whenever a character goes through a major change and indicate which version of the character it is by using that version's picture/gif, I've said it several times at this point.

Your opening post also listed Thor's Ragnarok/Infinity War feats and new MCU films normally make a character more powerful rather than nerfing the hell out of them so I wasn't sure what the deal was.

I'll change my vote to Carol since she would obviously curbstomp Fat Thor.

I still think Thor at his peak would win. How about we have both versions of the character in the power tiers?

Last edited:
Carol obviously. Thor was able to hurt Thanos in Infinity war because he took him by surprise, not because he was more powerful, he threw the stormbreaker at him when he wasn't looking, hell endgame Cap could do the same. In a one on one fight even with Stormbreaker, he wouldn't be able to get a shot in. Carol had a one on one fight with Thanos and almost had him. She was even preoccupied with getting the gauntlet off, that gave Thanos the opportunity to use the power stone. Thor needs a weapon, Carol is the weapon. I haven't seen anything Thor could do that would take Carol out. I would even put Scarlet witch and Dr Strange above Thor.

Carol
Scarlet witch/Dr Strange
Thor
Hulk.

If it's any consolation to anyone, I actually think they made Carol too powerful in EG. For me no single hero should be able to beat Thanos, it should be a team effort. Endgame made it seem like if Carol had been around in IW, the events of IW wouldnt have happened and Thanos would have been defeated. I didn't like that as it made the efforts of everyone in IW seem meaningless.

Last edited:
My feeling that Thor was nerfed to help other character shine come mostly from The Russo Bros flat out saying "Character who got the spotlight in IW will take a backseat to characters who didn't" along with actual visual evidence (out of shape, alcoholic, ramdomly forgeting to use Stormbreakers most useful power). So it's not just some "wacky disguntled Thor fan's theory" like numerous posters keep trying to paint it to be there actually is a good basis to that claim.
I'm sorry, but that's a reach. That comment was clearly mentioning narrative emphasis and story importance. Not making excuses for why character X is less powerful now.

As for the poll clarification, I think this should be treated as Peak Thor vs Peak Carol, honestly. It's what everyone has been discussing since the poll opened.

After Endgame Peak Carol beats Peak Thor for me anyway, so the point is moot in my eyes.

Thor was awesome in IW and clearly the most powerful Avenger (possible only exception being Scarlett Witch), though I still maintain the element of surprise helped hugely against Thanos at the end, but for me Carol was just on another level in Endgame, Thanos was clearly struggling and he needed a weapon against her in the end rather than the other way around.

• In a race? Sure, her flight speed is on another level (although to be fair, Thor can teleport).
Only to places in the Nine Realms. This is why he needed to go to The Garden in the Benatar.

• In combat? Not so much. Yonn Rogg was consistently beating her in hand to hand. Thanos was able to grab and throw her and to grab the power stone and one shot her with it before she could react. I don't think her reflexes are any faster than Thor's and Thor has better skill feats.
Carol was clearly more skilled than Thanos. She hit him multiple times in return for a single blow that he managed to land on her.
She's obviously strong but she only really has two strength feats to judge her by:
  • holding the gauntlet open to prevent Thanos snapping and lifting his arm with her whole body
Given that Thanos is stronger than Hulk (who is in turn stronger than Thor), this proves that Carol is stronger than him.

Durability against energy attacks: MCU Carol hasn't shown the ability to absorb energy attacks and her best feat is being KO'd by the power stone but surviving.

Aside from the fact that Carol got her powers from absorbing energy from the Tesseract.

Durability against blades: Thor's got a healing factor that let him fight through multiple stab wounds from Hela. Carol's featless against blades and I highly doubt she'd survive a hit from Stormbreaker.

True, but neither would Thor and this is a real possibility. The lack of a worthiness enchantment means that anyone can pick Stormbreaker up and use it against Thor (like Thanos did in EG). Given that Carol is faster and more skilled than Thanos, I don't see why she wouldn't be able to replicate this.

She wasn't able to hurt Thanos and we haven't seen her hurt anyone else on Thor's level.

If we forget about the part where Thanos was terrified and on the verge of being solo'd.

We've seen Thor:

use his lightning to kill multiple Chitauri Leviathans with one blast

Nothing Carol couldn't replicate.

charge his punches with lightning powerful enough to send Hulk flying

And Carol would stomp Hulk with out any effort whatsoever.

summon a storm that levelled an Asgardian palace and stunned/ragdolled Hela

It busted a balcony.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure the only time Thanos used the power stone to anywhere near its full planet destroying potential was when he cracked the surface of Titan's moon. We can only speculate which was more powerful out of the power stone blast that KO'd Carol and the one that destroyed the Asgardian ship and KO'd Thor.

Logic dictates that the blast used on Carol would be more powerful, since he was desperate and fearing for his life. It was essentially a last-gasp attack. It would make sense for him to go balls to the walls.

It seems pretty obvious that when you spend five years as an alcoholic slob, gain masses of weight, don't train or fight, let your muscles atrophy and muscle memory fade, you'll end up a worse fighter.

Five years out of 1500 is like, the equivalent of a fortnight (no pun intended) in a human lifespan. It's nothing compared to the centuries when Thor WAS working out and eating healthily.

The Avengers chose Hulk to wear the gauntlet and undo the snap because Thor was a shadow of his former self.

It was more because the Stones emit gamma radiation, which Hulk is resistant to.

In Infinity War, he ragdolled Thanos with lightning, reacted to a beam from the completed Infinity Gauntlet by cutting through it with Stormbreaker and almost killed Thanos with one hit. In Endgame, Thanos curbstomped him without difficulty. That's an enormous difference and the 'Thor got the drop on Thanos in IW' argument doesn't fully explain it.

The clash between Thor and Thanos at the end of IW wasn't a physical fight, it was an exchange between Stormbreaker and the IG, which was not working at full power. The outcome doesn't prove that IW Thor is physically stronger than Thanos, simply that he has a powerful weapon.

Captain Marvel=Scarlet Witch>>Thanos>>>>>Thor are the most accurate power levels IMO.

I'm not remembering Carol being as dominant vs Thanos as people are making her out to be - will have to rewatch this on DVD. I do remember she ignored a face punch and held the gauntlet open but I can't recall her using any real skill vs Thanos at all.

Mind you that may just be my memory. I do remember that Thanos flattened her with a single blast from the power stone - something that Iron Man's shields could withstand and far less powerful heroes have recovered from quickly.

Going to wait for the DVD - but I still feel like people are overselling some of Carol's feats an underselling EG Thanos' combat feats. IMO she's the MCU's Superman, but she didn't defeat Thanos, much less defeat him singlehanded.

IIRC it was a headbutt, not a punch.

I honestly can't remember ( which is why I'm waiting for the DVD). I thought it was a short sharp jab to the face when Carol grabs the gauntlet.

I honestly can't remember ( which is why I'm waiting for the DVD). I thought it was a short sharp jab to the face when Carol grabs the gauntlet.

Either way, its a remarkable showing of durability from Carol. Nobody else (including Thor) demonstrated the ability to shrug off hits from Thanos in the way that she did.

Either way, its a remarkable showing of durability from Carol. Nobody else (including Thor) demonstrated the ability to shrug off hits from Thanos in the way that she did.

This. At the very least Carol shows she can take a hit better than Thor.

I have seen the movie 5 times. It was a head butt.

Went and saw Endgame again.
Yes it's a headbutt. Before that Thanos flings Carol away like she's nothing.

I still feel that people are massively overselling her combat feats against Thanos - considering that she did pretty much the same thing Cap did at the end of Infinity War, and one blast from the power stone dropped her completely.

There's a world of difference between a head butt ( and a short range headbutt without much range of movement) and an axe to the chest. If Carol had shrugged off a hit from Thanos' big sword I think we can say she'd be able to deal with Stormbreaker - but we can't.

I also still believe that people have undersold how deadly Thanos was - able to deal with Cap, Thor and Tony all at once ( and with Tony and Cap at near peak level). When dealing with Carol Thanos' focus was on snapping rather than killing her. She clearly has a comparable level of strength, but could she beat an armed Thanos whose goal was to kill her ? Maybe, maybe not....hey @BigThor there's a poll idea.

Clearly Fat-Thor was a mess, mentally and physically. Carol vs Thor-after-weight-watchers may not be as clear cut as people think.

I'm hoping that maybe the next match features street/superhuman tier combatants after dealing with heavy hitters for the last few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"