MCU Fight: Thor Vs. Captain Marvel

Actually, he's a long living and extra strong alien who superstitious humans from a thousand years ago thought was a god.

I think that's been retconned since Ragnarok when they revamped the character. Odin said that they aren't gods in TDW, but in Ragnarok he referred to both his true children as gods. The two also referred to themselves and each other as gods, and you had divine prophecy play a part in the plot.

I figure that just like the Aesir/Vanir of Norse mythology Thor, Odin, Hela, Heimdall, Loki etc are nigh invulnerable, extremely long lived and powerful magical beings with mastery over certain aspects of existence. An argument can be made for calling them gods.

On the other hand, they're not all powerful or even unrivaled, they make mistakes, they age and they can be killed. They aren't the undisputed gods of all existence. Neither were the gods of Norse mythology though....

Last edited:
I figure that just like the Aesir/Vanir of Norse mythology Thor, Odin, Hela, Heimdall, Loki etc are nigh invulnerable, extremely long lived and powerful magical beings with mastery over certain aspects of existence. An argument can be made for calling them gods.

On the other hand, they're not all powerful or even unrivaled, they make mistakes, they age and they can be killed. They aren't the undisputed gods of all existence. Neither were the gods of Norse mythology though....

Exactly :up:

They can have a rematch once Endgame is out, that was too long for me to wait.
Well now we know that
Carol can be taken out with a blast from the Power Stone and that's pretty much it. Shame that Carol and Thor didn't have any major feats in Endgame.

Well now we know that
Carol can be taken out with a blast from the Power Stone and that's pretty much it. Shame that Carol and Thor didn't have any major feats in Endgame.

To be fair, Carol repeated her spaceship feat and was able to completely no sell a punch to the face from Thanos which is why he needed the power stone to take her out. She was clearly the most powerful Avenger in the final battle.

Thor on the other hand, abandoned his people for 5 years, became a fat alcoholic slob (that's still somehow worthy?!?) and was trashed by no Stones Thanos in about 10 seconds. I really hated that they did that to him.

To be fair, Carol repeated her spaceship feat and was able to completely no sell a punch to the face from Thanos which is why he needed the power stone to take her out. She was clearly the most powerful Avenger in the final battle.

Thor on the other hand, abandoned his people for 5 years, became a fat alcoholic slob (that's still somehow worthy?!?) and was trashed by no Stones Thanos in about 10 seconds. I really hated that they did that to him.

Also to be fair
no stones warrior Thanos was pretty much as Korath described him back in GOTG vol 1, the most powerful being in the universe. He was skillful and deadly in close quarter combat and virtually invulnerable, he recovered from Cap's Mjolnir uppercut in seconds as well as lightning blasts and Thor's attacks, even with Stormbreaker - if anything his reliance on the gauntlet in IW made him slightly less deadly. I think we can now assume he could have bested post Ragnarok Thor by himself ( which is what probably happened at the start of IW). Carol didn't face Thanos' sword, and her durability against edged weapons, in this case one that could cut through Cap's shield, is untested. Thanos was a ****ing unstoppable juggernaut in Endgame and Carol didn't put him down the way Thor did in IW.
I suspect she could shrug off a blow from Stormbreaker 's hammer head but would be severely injured by its blade.
Endgame Thor was not Thor at his peak, but if Thor and Carol face off, each at their peak - and to the death- I believe he could withstand her photon blasts and strength ( although he'd be badly messed up) long enough to land a fatal strike with Stormbreaker's blade.

Also to be fair
no stones warrior Thanos was pretty much as Korath described him back in GOTG vol 1, the most powerful being in the universe. He was skillful and deadly in close quarter combat and virtually invulnerable.

I disagree on Thanos (without the stones) being the most powerful being in the universe.

I actually don't think Thanos got any feats more impressive than what we'd already seen in Infinity War. We already knew he was stronger than Hulk, a skilled combatant and very durable against lightning and blunt force.

In Endgame he:
  • outclassed a badly out of shape Thor
  • beat Iron Man again
  • beat Cap with Mjolnir with difficulty (Cap was clearly far more skilled)
  • lost a fight to Scarlet Witch and needed to call in air support
  • wasn't even hitting hard enough to make Carol flinch until he used the power stone.
If anything, the film made it pretty clear that Thanos without the stones loses to Carol and Scarlet Witch whereas I wasn't sure about that before

Endgame didn't change my view on Thor vs Thanos at all, other than showing that an overweight alcoholic Thor loses to no stones Thanos (not a question I needed answering). I still think Infinity War Thor would beat him without much difficulty.

Last edited:
Well now we know that

Carol would probably beat the stuffing out of Endgame Thor.

Thor's reflexes, speed, and skills are severely diminished because of his obesity and alcoholism. His strength is still pretty impressive though. He wrestled/grappled with Thanos on two different occasions, holding his own in each. The first one occurs as Thanos is trying to push Stormbreaker into Thor while Thor resists while slowly being overpowered. The second one happens when Thor tries to keep him from getting the gauntlet and uses Mjolnir and Stormbreaker to briefly overpower Thanos before Thanos eventually breaks free (using skill rather than brute strength).

Last edited:
Carol would probably beat the stuffing out of Endgame Thor.

Thor's reflexes, speed, and skills are severely diminished because of his obesity and alcoholism. His strength is still pretty impressive though

You should probably put your whole post in spoiler tags.

Personally as a Thor fan I would've appreciated the warning but others want to go in blind and you just gave away that he turns into a fat alcoholic slob.

Anyway, I completely agree that Fat Thor is far slower and less skilled. He also seemed to have less power over lightning (no lightning cloak, doesn't try to summon it when Thanos had him pinned) and less durability (Thanos seems to KO him twice)

Thanos wiped the floor with him, Carol would too. Hell, I'm pretty sure young Thor with Mjolnir and half the powerhouse tier could take him.

Last edited:
You should probably put your whole post in spoiler tags.

Personally as a Thor fan I would've appreciated the warning but others want to go in blind and you just gave away that he turns into a fat alcoholic slob.

Anyway, I completely agree that Fat Thor is far slower and less skilled. He also seemed to have less power over lightning (no lightning cloak, doesn't try to summon it when Thanos had him pinned) and less durability (Thanos seems to KO him twice)

Thanos wiped the floor with him, Carol would too. Hell, I'm pretty sure young Thor with Mjolnir and half the powerhouse tier could take him.

I thought that cat was out of the bag as it's been posted all over the net, but I just put all of it in spoiler tags.

Point blank
Thor was nerfed a bit to let other heroes get to shine and I'm okay with that. Atleast the writers gave a valid reason for his depowering rather than just randomly fluctuating his powers with out any explanation.

Thor
one shot KO'd Iron Man when he used Stormbreaker to smack Mjolnir like a baseball and Thanos used Iron Man to shield himself causing Mjolnir to hit Iron Man instead. Thanos himself couldn't even do that in Infinity War.

I thought that cat was out of the bag as it's been posted all over the net, but I just put all of it in spoiler tags.

Point blank
Thor was nerfed a bit to let other heroes get to shine and I'm okay with that. Atleast the writers gave a valid reason for his depowering rather than just randomly fluctuating his powers with out any explanation.

It's obvious the writers wanted to nerf Thor to let other characters shine and I can understand why but there were ways of doing that that don't crap all over the character by turning him into an alcoholic slob who's the butt of half the film's jokes.
  • He could've lost Stormbreaker and/or been grievously wounded in an opening fight with Thanos (a fight that could've ended with Thanos destroying the stones)
  • He could be so traumatised by Ragnarok/Infinity War that he can't control his lightning/lift Stormbreaker and becomes an MCU version of unworthy Thor.
  • Even if they'd had him go off the rails Iron Man 2 style (i.e. an alcoholic but not a fat slob) it wouldn't have been as bad.
  • Hell, I'd have preferred Thor getting snapped back in Infinity War and only showing up for the final battle.

Last edited:
It's obvious the writers wanted to nerf Thor to let other characters shine and I can understand why but there were ways of doing that that don't crap all over the character by turning him into an alcoholic slob who's the butt of half the film's jokes.
  • He could've lost Stormbreaker and/or been grievously wounded in an opening fight with Thanos (a fight that could've ended with Thanos destroying the stones)
  • He could be so traumatised by Ragnarok/Infinity War that he can't control his lightning/lift Stormbreaker and becomes an MCU version of unworthy Thor.
  • Even if they'd had him go off the rails Iron Man 2 style (i.e. an alcoholic but not a fat slob) it wouldn't have been as bad.
  • Hell, I'd have preferred Thor getting snapped back in Infinity War and only showing up for the final battle.

I agree with you on all counts, I'm just making the best out of what we got.

The writers definitely could've went about it in a way that treated Thor with more respect.

So, having seen Endgame. . .

Nope, not buying any fundamental change in relationship, vis a vis Thor and Carol. Before anyone says "But Carol held his hand open!", note two very important facts:

1. Various people not named Captain Marvel have done this, at least for as long as she did. It requires great effort, but its not some singular feat.

2. She did this, after Thanos had spent almost all the final act duking it out with a sample platter of the heaviest hitters of the setting. This was a basically-fresh Carol vs Thanos who'd been pounded on for something like half an hour at this point.

Whereas Thor has the "minor" feat of. . . engaging in several prolonged slugging matches with Thanos, starting while Thanos was fresh.

Frankly, the person who shows a power level above all others in contesting Thanos? Wanda Maximoff. She did better solo against Thanos than anyone else, to the point where Thanos' only option was to have his ship bombard the whole area and hope it would force her to focus on defending herself and others. Because he definitely didn't seem capable of doing anything against her, himself. This is not hugely surprising, of course, since Wanda has been crazy powerful ever since Age of Ultron.

I disagree on Thanos (without the stones) being the most powerful being in the universe.

I actually don't think Thanos got any feats more impressive than what we'd already seen in Infinity War. We already knew he was stronger than Hulk, a skilled combatant and very durable against lightning and blunt force.

In Endgame he:
  • outclassed a badly out of shape Thor
  • beat Iron Man again
  • beat Cap with Mjolnir with difficulty (Cap was clearly far more skilled)
  • lost a fight to Scarlet Witch and needed to call in air support
  • wasn't even hitting hard enough to make Carol flinch until he used the power stone.
If anything, the film made it pretty clear that Thanos without the stones loses to Carol and Scarlet Witch whereas I wasn't sure about that before

Endgame didn't change my view on Thor vs Thanos at all, other than showing that an overweight alcoholic Thor loses to no stones Thanos (not a question I needed answering). I still think Infinity War Thor would beat him without much difficulty.

Maybe Korath was wrong but
I don't think you're giving Thanos enough credit for the skill he displayed in Endgame. He handled Thor, Cap and Iron Man at the same time. He caught Stormbreaker in flight and nearly impaled Thor with it, until Cap picked up Mjolnir.

IMO Thanos with that weapon of his is a match for Infinity War Thor. His skill feats during the Endgame fight were impressive - even moreso than when he outclassed the Hulk- particularly as he was fighting multiple opponents.

Scarlet Witch is immensely powerful, as she showed in IW, so her nearly crushing him is little surprise.

As for Carol. She ignored a punch to the face but what about Thanos' blade? Given what it did to Cap's shield I doubt she could ignore that. How much damage did she actually do to Thanos? None, considering he had already fought Cap, Thor, Tony and Wanda, he probably wasn't 100%. Tony showed better resistance to the power stone in IW - one quick blast flattened Carol.

I don't think Carol's photon blasts can do much damage to Thor as Thor was shown taking on radiation of a Neutron Star while forging the Stormbreaker. Neutron Star is pretty bright star in the Universe.

Maybe Korath was wrong but
Scarlet Witch is immensely powerful, as she showed in IW, so her nearly crushing him is little surprise.

As for Carol. She ignored a punch to the face but what about Thanos' blade? Given what it did to Cap's shield I doubt she could ignore that. How much damage did she actually do to Thanos? None, considering he had already fought Cap, Thor, Tony and Wanda, he probably wasn't 100%. Tony showed better resistance to the power stone in IW - one quick blast flattened Carol.

Wanda is ridiculously inconsistent, even by MCU standards. Let's not forget the fact that in IW she got her ass handed to her by Proxima Midnight (twice!) and needed street-level characters to save her (twice!).Then she's nearly-single-handedly holding back Thanos when he has 5 stones and nearly killing him when he has none. Just like Strange, she did way better against Thanos than she did against the Black Order, for some weird reason.

Ultimately, Wanda is just too inconsistent to judge her power level accurately. One minute she's struggling with street-levelers; the next she's stomping Thanos and making every Avenger bar Carol look irrelevant.

As for this fight, as much as it pains us Thor fans to admit it, Carol is objectively head and shoulders above Thor now. The final battle of Endgame proved it. Danvers is simply faster, stronger, more skilled and in a far better place mentally. Stormbreaker is Thor's only saving grace, but even then it's lack of a worthiness attachment arguably makes it more of a weakness than an asset. I can easily see Carol stealing Stormbreaker and using it on Thor, just like Thanos did.

There's also the fact that Stormbreaker is just a big damn unwieldy weapon that's difficult to swing around. Hemsworth himself pointed this out in an interview for EG.

Carol stomps 10/10. No contest

Out of interest, the top 5 Avengers in power levels IMO are now:

1. Carol

2. Wanda (when in beast mode)

3. Dr. Strange (OP hax)

4. Mjolnir Cap

5. Hulk (withstood a universe-level energy exposure)

As for this fight, as much as it pains us Thor fans to admit it, Carol is objectively head and shoulders above Thor now. The final battle of Endgame proved it. Danvers is simply faster, stronger, more skilled and in a far better place mentally. Stormbreaker is Thor's only saving grace, but even then it's lack of a worthiness attachment arguably makes it more of a weakness than an asset. I can easily see Carol stealing Stormbreaker and using it on Thor, just like Thanos did.

There's also the fact that Stormbreaker is just a big damn unwieldy weapon that's difficult to swing around. Hemsworth himself pointed this out in an interview for EG.

Carol stomps 10/10. No contest

Out of interest, the top 5 Avengers in power levels IMO are now:

1. Carol

2. Wanda (when in beast mode)

3. Dr. Strange (OP hax)

4. Mjolnir Cap

5. Hulk (withstood a universe-level energy exposure)

Endgame Thor is a shadow of his former self. He's slower, his skills have faded, he didn't show the kind of durability he showed against Hela and he made far less use of his lightning than in Ragnarok/Infinity War. We see him use Stormbreaker and Mjolnir but he isn't able to use them anywhere near as effectively as he used to.

I completely agree that Carol would wipe the floor with him. As would Scarlet Witch and Hulk.

I still think Thor at his peak (Ragnarok/Infinity War feats) would beat Carol/Wanda/Hulk though.

Last edited:
Endgame Thor is a shadow of his former self. He's slower, his skills have faded, he didn't show the kind of durability he showed against Hela and he made far less use of his lightning than in Ragnarok/Infinity War. We see him use Stormbreaker and Mjolnir but he isn't able to use them anywhere near as effectively as he used to.

I completely agree that Carol would wipe the floor with him. As would Scarlet Witch and Hulk.

I still think Thor at his peak (Ragnarok/Infinity War feats) would beat Carol/Wanda/Hulk though.

I disagree about EG Thor being totally incomparable to IW Thor. Sure, he put on some weight, but he's still a son of Odin and the God of Thunder. Heck, Volstagg was fat and yet he was one of Asgard's most elite warriors, so clearly being a bit overweight doesn't impede Asgardians too much.

The fact that he got his a** handed to him by Thanos is totally consistent with what we saw at the start of IW and doesn't prove that he got weaker.

Thanos>>>>>>Thor. The writers went out of their way to show this.

The only reason why he was able to "beat" Thanos at the end of IW was because he blindsided him. In a fair fight, Thanos would stomp IW Thor just as badly as EG Thor. MCU Thor has always struggled with big, physical opponents (Kurse, Ultron etc). They're kinda his Achilles heel.

And I don't agree that Thor's skills "faded". The dude has been fighting non-stop for 1500 years. You don't forget how to fight after five years of inactivity. It would be the equivalent of a human martial artist not training for a couple of weeks and then suddenly forgetting all of their combat skills.

I don't think
Professor Hulk
would be a match for any of the MCU heavy hitters. He seemed much smaller - about the same height as
Korg
now - and missing his famous ferocity.

I don't think
Professor Hulk
would be a match for any of the MCU heavy hitters. He seemed much smaller - about the same height as
Korg
now - and missing his famous ferocity.

Hulk was able to withstand the power of the full IG, something which was explicitly stated would kill Thor.

So that definitely puts him above Thor IMO.

It puts him above the Lebowski version, but maybe not the guy from last year's film.

Hulk was able to withstand the power of the full IG, something which was explicitly stated would kill Thor.

So that definitely puts him above Thor IMO.
It was never stated it would kill Thor, they just said Thor was in no condition to use it.

New battle coming tonight guys, sorry I've been busy all weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"