MCU X-Men - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here's The X-Men Comic Book Moment Kevin Feige Wants To Bring To The Big Screen

Leonard Maltin asked Feige about his time on the original X-Men movie when he was working with producer Lauren Schuler Donner, talking about how the film's low budget caused some concessions.

"It was not, certainly comparative to the films we make now, and even compared to the big films of that time, X-Men 1 was a very low budget for that kind of movie," Feige said. "Which was great because it meant you had to focus on the character and you had to focus on the dynamics between those characters because you didn't have all the money in the world to do anything else."
Feige had one key visual from the comics that he was dying to bring on the screen, but unfortunately couldn't due to the low budget.

"In the comic books, there was this great panel at the time, where Magneto would use his magnetic powers to take a gun and split it into all its component parts," Feige said. "So it was an amazing drawing and I had it up on my desk. And I went, 'wouldn't it be cool to do that?' No. We couldn't do that. We had wires that lifted up a shotgun and turned it around."
"One day," Feige said, hinting that he still plans to do that scene in some form.

:hmr:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/01/21/marvel-studios-kevin-feige-wants-x-men-movie-scene/

How would you guys feel if Marvel used the Astonishing costumes from Whedon's run?

giant-size-astonishing-x-men-poster.jpg

That version of the yellow and blue Wolverine costume is certainly the most used in various media and arguably most recognizable version of the costume. I think it's a great modern update to X-Men costumes.

I love everything about that run so I wouldn't complain. Wolverine's suit is near perfection. Near because although the yellow and blue is the most iconic, I think the yellow and brown is even more bad***. The Astonishing update but with this colouring. Heck, just use this.

0aa841939b05189beada9626ececa376.png

Last edited:

Here's The X-Men Comic Book Moment Kevin Feige Wants To Bring To The Big Screen

:hmr:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/01/21/marvel-studios-kevin-feige-wants-x-men-movie-scene/
There's already a scene like that in X-Men 3. Doesn't sound all that special. Though technically it's Phoenix doing it.

[YT]l9T90Y2PFYk[/YT]

I'd rather see a scene where Magneto is attacked by sentinels, and he uses his powers to switch around their chips and alter their programming to attack humans. And I mean full on giant sentinels.

I kind of think a variation of Astonishing's costumes would be a best way to approach them, I guess with added utilitarian details to make them look more feasible/practical.

About the mutant-history thing, here's a few points:

1) Unless you want to completely alter major points of the mythos, mutants have to have been around and studied in secret for quite some time before the events of this film.

2) If you think mutants operating in secret for years is going to make people more accepting of them, I don't know what world you're living in. Suddenly discovering that mutants have been around all this time and covering it up would most likely make the public even MORE afraid. It's like government survielence. It's not scary when you know ahead of time, but everyone freaks out when you know it happened and no one told anyone.

I actually agree with number 1, but I think the problem with number 2 is that the same threat that mutants have to the world the population of the MCU have invested in, retconning in mutant lore provides the same threat to the lore that fans of the MCU have invested in. So perhaps we should treat whether mutants are studied and whether the X-Men have operated as totally separate elements.

No idea. I tend to think Wolverine doesn't really need the mask, because he has an iconic visual even without it. Combine this with how I'd much prefer the X-Men do *not* have secret IDs, and there you go.

Basically, characters should have masks because either:

1. Its necessary to maintain a narratively-meaningful secret ID

2. It is an iconic and inseparable part of the character's image

3. It has another, notable and justifiable use within the story, that does not conflict with aesthetics

So, for example, Sam Wilson doesn't have a secret ID in the movies, and his mask really isn't an iconic part of his image. However, 'flight goggles' serve a logical purpose for his character and also work as a good image, so they fit just fine in the movie.

Wolverine? He shouldn't have a secret ID by my druthers, his mask serves no other practical purpose, and his masked look is no more iconic than his unmasked look.

Yeah, I'm not feeling it a secret ID angle, unless it's very specific, like maybe Wolverine wears a mask on one mission so that Steve Rogers/Nick Fury don't recognize him... or even better, so that they DO recognize him!

I like your provisions, but I think that a non-essential but still iconic look can qualify for number 3 when given reason and smart design. There is a primal imposing aspect to the mask that does have some narrative potential, I think, and may be why it exists in the first place.

MCU Cap doesn't require a mask either. But he does wear a nifty little helmet with convenient eye protection. If Wolverine is taking on the big green guy it would make sense to go into battle with additional armor that included a comic accurate helmet.

It's fairly easy to come up with a narrative purpose for why Wolverine wears a mask.

I predict that once we see the mask, it's gonna feel so natural to the story that we're gonna wonder how Fox could've spent the better part of 20 years dancing around it.

I just can't see any scenario where Marvel doesn't give us this:
wolv.jpg
Feige would be the last person to shy away from the costumes and fantastical elements ESPECIALLY considering that Fox/Singer did and went out of their way to do so. Hawkeye is probably the only MCU hero that doesn't wear his iconic mask from the comics. And fans have been clamoring for the iconic Wolverine costume since the first X-Men movie, it's one of the absolutel best ways to differentiate MCU Wolverine from Fox/Jackman Wolverine

Last edited:
MCU Cap doesn't require a mask either. But he does wear a nifty little helmet with convenient eye protection. If Wolverine is taking on the big green guy it would make sense to go into battle with additional armor that included a comic accurate helmet.
The idea comes to mind to use Weapon X as the villains for the sequel. Think of it like a mutant Avengers the government has put together or something, that are a public group, hence the mask for Wolverine.

I just can't see any scenario where Marvel doesn't give us this:
wolv.jpg
Feige would be the last person to shy away from the costumes and fantastical elements ESPECIALLY considering that Fox/Singer did and went out of their way to do so. Hawkeye is probably the only MCU hero that doesn't wear his iconic mask from the comics. And fans have been clamoring for the iconic Wolverine costume since the first X-Men movie, it's one of the absolutel best ways to differentiate MCU Wolverine from Fox/Jackman Wolverine
One of the big regrets to Hugh leaving the role, never got to see him in that mask.

The idea comes to mind to use Weapon X as the villains for the sequel. Think of it like a mutant Avengers the government has put together or something, that are a public group, hence the mask for Wolverine.
It could be as simple as "a lot of people want me dead, best not to show my face."

Wait a minute are we staying with the eternal soldier fighting for a couple of centuries. Before it would be possible to get a new ID every few years. Now it is getting increasingly hard, with surveillance and facial recognition that the modern viewer is used to seeing the Las Vegas PD and all the other media security services use all the time. I think that is the reason all the special operations fighters wear beards even if they are the only men in the target society wearing beards.

None of this really matters, IMO, because its premised on the idea that Logan *should* have a secret ID in the present. I'm not saying the mask is unnecessary, because he can keep his secret otherwise. I'm saying that keeping himself secret is, itself, unnecessary.

It could be as simple as "a lot of people want me dead, best not to show my face."

I can be simple, but it has to make sense. This particular explanation suggests that wearing a mask while he's killing people makes them shoot at him *less* or that the mask offers protection that his healing factor doesn't, which just makes him and the mask look foolish.

Navid Negahban for Erik/Magneto
yYd71l5.jpg

Thoughts? How would you guys feel if Marvel decided to update Erik's origin for the MCU to a more recent event as to avoid an 85 year old Erik?

So, I'm super-duper in favor of updating Magneto's origin. The challenge is how to do that without being political, not because I dislike political themes, but because the MCU seems to go out of its way to avoid any real world politics of any sort. So I think it'd be most interesting to have someone vaguely middle eastern, but I highly doubt we'll get an actual Iranian, or anything even remotely delving into any current real world topics.

I can be simple, but it has to make sense. This particular explanation suggests that wearing a mask while he's killing people makes them shoot at him *less* or that the mask offers protection that his healing factor doesn't, which just makes him and the mask look foolish.

I mean enemies coming after him, and by extention, the X-men. From super villains to organized crime, to governments would like to see Logan suffer or die. Best just to avoid it when fighting in a group that'll end up on the news.

I mean enemies coming after him, and by extention, the X-men. From super villains to organized crime, to governments would like to see Logan suffer or die. Best just to avoid it when fighting in a group that'll end up on the news.

That's a lot of work to establish in term of invisible unseen threats unrelated to the current plot, particularly for a character whose powers make mob hits harmless and whose MO is about NOT getting attached to people. Plus, you have to figure out how to sell this line: "Sir, there's a new player on the field. He has three metal claws and heals from injuries instantly, but he wears a mask, so we have no way to connect him to the other three clawed operative with a healing factor we know of."

Again, there's totally a way to make his mask work, but Wolverine, thematically, is the opposite of the kind of guy to hide from his enemies, so any element that's based on the idea of him hiding from his enemies is going to run into a lot of contradictions like this.

In Logan's case, protecting his identity would be more about others than himself. The enemies he makes might realize that killing him is a LOT harder than killing the people he cares about. Captain America can be murdered in his sleep, but when you realize bullets are useless against the Wolverine, you go after Silver Fox.

In Logan's case, protecting his identity would be more about others than himself. The enemies he makes might realize that killing him is a LOT harder than killing the people he cares about. Captain America can be murdered in his sleep, but when you realize bullets are useless against the Wolverine, you go after Silver Fox.

Silver Fox is a huge part of why Wolverine doesn't connect to the X-Men like he did Silver Fox, and may even be why he spends his nights around people who can erase all of his enemies with a glance, or turn their brains to pudding with a thought. The X-Men can't be Wolverine's Lois Lane for like, ten different reasons. Plus... people don't remember Wolverine's face, they remember a guy with three big ol' metal claws and a healing factor savaged their whole platoon.

The X-Men can't be Wolverine's Lois Lane for like, ten different reasons.

I never suggested they should be. But he was a COVERT operative, so his superiors/handlers may have been worried about someone tracing his activities back to them. As long as he doesn't pop his claws in public, there's very little to connect the drifter who calls himself "Logan", to the masked Weapon X.

I never suggested they should be. But he was a COVERT operative, so his superiors/handlers may have been worried about someone tracing his activities back to them. As long as he doesn't pop his claws in public, there's very little to connect the drifter who calls himself "Logan", to the masked Weapon X.

I'm kinda confused. What does Weapon X's mask have to do with Wolverine's mask? Because the three-hole punches he leaves behind make the connection pretty clearly. Survivors and security camera footage of attacks from Weapon X, Logan and Wolverine will all report the exact same experience, none of which includes getting a detailed look at his face and living through it.

Also, if dangerous people wanting you suffer/die is a reason to get a mask... shouldn't ALL of the X-Men and Avengers have masks?

Also... Wolverine is the kind of guy to pop his claws in public. He's not a guy who caves to physical intimidation. That's part of what makes him cool, isn't it?

Also... Wolverine has amnesia. Does he remember all of his enemies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"