Marvel Films MCU X-Men - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure the actor is going to prefer the look above to having most of their face covered.

I like the casting (Jenner's been my own pick for a while now too), but I'm still not here for the helmet/mask/hood. I could possibly compromise with the 90's face sock but just because it stirs up so much cool 90s X-Men iconography.

http://cdn.****************.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/cyclops-x-men-670x335.jpg

I'm sure the actor is going to prefer the look above to having most of their face covered.

But we've had that look for over 4 films now. We've never seen the cowl on Cyclops, it would be fresh; a great way to differentiate him visually from the Fox Cyclops.

And the actor doesn't get a say in costume design, Iceman. Chris Evans, Tom Holland, Pratt, Rudd and Lily all have their faces/heads either partially covered or fully covered. Cyclops would be closer to Cap and the mask would come off at points but it would exist

A little overly optimistic to expect casting news in six months.

I don’t think they can pull off the Cyclops condom look without it coming off goofy. Besides the hero always ends up unmasked anyways so I’d rather they go the Jim Lee 90s look. For flashbacks, I wouldn’t be opposed to it though.

Ditto on the Marvel Girl mask.

And for future reference, I DON'T expect it all from one movie. Thanks again.

Empty your Private Messages folder please! :oldrazz:

But we've had that look for over 4 films now. We've never seen the cowl on Cyclops, it would be fresh; a great way to differentiate him visually from the Fox Cyclops.

And the actor doesn't get a say in costume design, Iceman. Chris Evans, Tom Holland, Pratt, Rudd and Lily all have their faces/heads either partially covered or fully covered. Cyclops would be closer to Cap and the mask would come off at points but it would exist

The thing is I'm sure we both want the actor who they cast as Cyclops to want to stay for the long term. James Marsden used to complain about this and then jumped ship to play a lesser role in Superman Returns. I want a comic-accurate look so either is totally fine with me, but I want the actor to be totally happy too so the version with less coverage might help with that. The kind of masks that retract like Star-Lord's and Ant Man's aren't an issue. I wouldn't mind if they gave him a full mask and made it retractable too.

I don’t think they can pull off the Cyclops condom look without it coming off goofy. Besides the hero always ends up unmasked anyways so I’d rather they go the Jim Lee 90s look. For flashbacks, I wouldn’t be opposed to it though.

Ditto on the Marvel Girl mask.

Empty your Private Messages folder please! :oldrazz:

Riiight. And I'm sure Marvel can't pull this off in live action either:

captainamerica.gif

Or this
iron-man-marvel-comics-lifesize-standup_a-G-13877143-0.jpg

Or this

2879._SX400_QL80_TTD_.jpg

This isn't 1999. We're past the point where filmmakers have to be afraid of using classic elements from the source material in fear of being "goofy". If Marvel Studios has proven anything, it's that filmmakers don't have to be ashamed of the comics, and if done properly, it will be embraced by the audience.

There is no reason why Cyclops' cowl can't work when Marvel found a way to make Cap's mask work without looking ridiculous. And if Arrow can make a face mask work without looking ridiculous then it can work on Jean too

laurel-arrow.jpg

And Jean and co have a reason to cover their faces considering they all have secret identities. So there's your in-universe reason
The thing is I'm sure we both want the actor who they cast as Cyclops to want to stay for the long term. James Marsden used to complain about this and then jumped ship to play a lesser role in Superman Returns. I want a comic-accurate look so either is totally fine with me, but I want the actor to be totally happy too so the version with less coverage might help with that. The kind of masks that retract like Star-Lord's and Ant Man's aren't an issue. I wouldn't mind if they gave him a full mask and made it retractable too.
Marsden didn't leave because he had to cover his eyes, he left because he had already signed on to Superman Returns with Singer before X3- So his schedule was limited.

I highly doubt whoever plays Cyclops will want to leave the role because they have to wear a cowl, dude. Tom Holland, Paul Rudd and Chadwick Boseman are still playing their roles and we haven't heard any of them complaining about what they have to wear on their head. And even if they did, they can't walk out because they're under contract and the same goes for whoever will play Scott Summers. And the costume will already be designed before they even cast the actor, so they won't get say in whether they want to wear a cowl or not. They'll just make it as comfortable and form-fitting as possible which will not be difficult to do.

Last edited:
I wonder if we'll see this one day:

NvpQvD7.jpg

(Image from Iceman #3 coming up later this year)

I would love it if starting out the X-men do have identity hiding costumes. I mean it would play into public ambivalence about Mutants if they come off in universe as a mysterious force as compared to the well known members of the Avengers.

Marsden didn't actually leave to do Superman Returns, right? Both SR and X3 came out within a month of each other. Since Cyclops had a limited role in X3 and was unceremoniously killed off, it's fair to say that Marsden was more or less let go. He probably filmed both movies at about the same time, so his fate in X3 was known to him when he did SR. And Singer directed SR, too, which probably had something to do with Marsden signing on.

The best (or worst) part of Marsden playing Richard White in SR was that his character was much more heroic than Superman himself was. He went off in a small plane to save Lois and her sickly muppet hybrid child and ultimately saved Supes. After I watched SR I felt that Marsden finally was treated with some respect in a superhero movie, which is really sad considering that Cyclops should have been more important to the X-Men franchise.

The best (or worst) part of Marsden playing Richard White in SR was that his character was much more heroic than Superman himself was. He went off in a small plane to save Lois and her sickly muppet hybrid child and ultimately saved Supes. After I watched SR I felt that Marsden finally was treated with some respect in a superhero movie, which is really sad considering that Cyclops should have been more important to the X-Men franchise.
I don't see that. Clark stopped crimes, saved lives and nearly killed himself to throw that island into space.

Marsden didn't actually leave to do Superman Returns, right? Both SR and X3 came out within a month of each other. Since Cyclops had a limited role in X3 and was unceremoniously killed off, it's fair to say that Marsden was more or less let go. He probably filmed both movies at about the same time, so his fate in X3 was known to him when he did SR. And Singer directed SR, too, which probably had something to do with Marsden signing on.

Singer directing SR instead of finishing X3 was why Fox exec-at-the-time Tom Rothman got bitter and Marsden following him there was when he got petty and found a way to do something about it - killing off the leader of the team off screen, at the expense of the whole franchise (long term). Marsden had already complained about the facial attire getting in the way of his acting before that though and wasn't 100% happy.

Marsden didn't leave because he had to cover his eyes, he left because he had already signed on to Superman Returns with Singer before X3- So his schedule was limited.

I highly doubt whoever plays Cyclops will want to leave the role because they have to wear a cowl, dude. Tom Holland, Paul Rudd and Chadwick Boseman are still playing their roles and we haven't heard any of them complaining about what they have to wear on their head. And even if they did, they can't walk out because they're under contract and the same goes for whoever will play Scott Summers. And the costume will already be designed before they even cast the actor, so they won't get say in whether they want to wear a cowl or not. They'll just make it as comfortable and form-fitting as possible which will not be difficult to do.
See above for the clarification. By leaving I meant in terms of what Rothman saw it as - leaving his team the X-franchise to join in his eyes the traitor Bryan Singer. Obviously Marsden didn't actually leave as he was in the film lol.

A retractable mask is nothing dude, I already mentioned that. Even Batman has the top of his face covered when he's playing Batman, no issue. When it comes to serious acting time though you get to see these guy's faces fully. The issue with Cyclops is his eyes are always covered so the bulk of what's covering them is much more significant. And if he can at least have that 90s look while the other's guy's faces are covered during action scenes then it might help. I guess it all depends on the actor in question. I don't care if they don't care, and I'll be very happy with any comic accurate costume.

Last edited:
It's also my understanding that Fox (re: Rothman) was pushing unrealistic deadlines for X3's development, hence not only Singer's departure but Matthew Vaughn's as well.

It's also my understanding that Fox (re: Rothman) was pushing unrealistic deadlines for X3's development, hence not only Singer's departure but Matthew Vaughn's as well.

On top of late budget cuts on the prior films. All the X-success was in spite of Rothman but eventually he managed to deal the franchise a serious blow with the changes in X3. What a different time now with X-Men in the hands of someone capable like Feige who cares about the material.

Singer directing SR instead of finishing X3 was why Fox exec-at-the-time Tom Rothman got bitter and Marsden following him there was when he got petty and found a way to do something about it - killing off the leader of the team off screen, at the expense of the whole franchise (long term). Marsden had already complained about the facial attire getting in the way of his acting before that though and wasn't 100% happy.

I thought that killing Cyclops was either Kinberg or Brett Ratner at the helm, not Rothman. He did meddle a lot in the Fox-Marvel movies, though, like forcing Tim Story to use s*** cloud Galactus because the comic book design "looked like a Transformer" and he wouldn't allow giant robots (including Sentinels) in his films.

I thought that killing Cyclops was either Kinberg or Brett Ratner at the helm, not Rothman. He did meddle a lot in the Fox-Marvel movies, though, like forcing Tim Story to use s*** cloud Galactus because the comic book design "looked like a Transformer" and he wouldn't allow giant robots (including Sentinels) in his films.

Rothman's the same dude who wanted Daredevil to be more like Spider-Man when this was apparently the case:
Prior to shooting, producer Gary Foster said that in comparison to other comic book-based films before it, this film would be "more character-driven ... darker ... edgier," while Marvel Studios executive Kevin Feige felt the script was one of the strongest comic scripts Marvel had received

He's the same dude that couldn't wait on Singer to come back & do The Last Stand, so Marsden & Romjin were written out.

Singer, Dougherty and Harris wrote a preliminary draft for X-MEN 3, in which Jean returns as the Phoenix and decides to end the conflict between humans and mutants in her own terms, while the X-Men attempt to protect her from the Brotherhood of Mutants.

Their plan was to focus on Cyclops and Wolverine putting their differences aside to help Jean and earning each other’s respects, and would have introduced three new characters: Emma Frost, an old flame of Xavier who can control people’s emotions and is recruited by Magneto to brainwash Jean into joining their cause; Gambit, a young thief who joins the Brotherhood, but ultimately switches sides to the X-Men due to his attraction to Rogue; and the Juggernaut, Magneto’s new enforcer.
Executive producer Tom Rothman was notoriously against the more fantastical aspects of the X-Men mythos, including the Phoenix. At his behest, the concept was changed into Jean Grey’s malevolent split personality, and with subsequent rewrites, the cure storyline, which Rothman favored, received more focus over the Phoenix storyline.
Origins Wolverine was supposed to be what Mangold ended up doing with the character.
[Gavin] Hood notoriously clashed with Rothman over their views on the project. Hood wanted a somber, grittier movie centered on Wolverine struggling with his inner demons, while Rothman wanted a more conventional summer action blockbuster. Rothman even remodeled the entire Weapon X facility sets to look “cleaner” and “brighther”, with more vibrant colors, while Hood was on a three weeks leave. Hood very nearly dropped out of the project, and Fox had already lined up a last-minute replacement to come in should he do it, but Jackman managed to convince Hood to stay.

Last edited:
A retractable mask is nothing dude, I already mentioned that. Even Batman has the top of his face covered when he's playing Batman, no issue. When it comes to serious acting time though you get to see these guy's faces fully. The issue with Cyclops is his eyes are always covered so the bulk of what's covering them is much more significant. And if he can at least have that 90s look while the other's guy's faces are covered during action scenes then it might help. I guess it all depends on the actor in question. I don't care if they don't care, and I'll be very happy with any comic accurate costume.
But as I've already mentioned, we've gotten the 90s Jim Lee look for his head now for over 4 movies. 5 counting Dark Phoenix coming up. One of the best ways to differentiate MCU Cyclops visually from the Fox version is having the cowl on his head. I'm tired of the topless head look, nobody has even attempted the cowl in live action yet- Marvel can be the first ones to do it.

And the helmet can come off during heavy scenes. Scott has his eyes covered at all times, as you've said - leaving only his eyebrows. So just have him take it off when he needs to like Holland's Spider-Man and Cap

Cowls are ugly. I say hell no to it. Captain America looks infinitely better when his head isnt covered

Riiight. And I'm sure Marvel can't pull this off in live action either:

captainamerica.gif

Or this
iron-man-marvel-comics-lifesize-standup_a-G-13877143-0.jpg

Or this

2879._SX400_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Your "concept art" looks closer to Captain America's/Chris Evans' Avengers 1 cowl (and not like Iron Man's nor Ant-man's) and that was definitely the weakest of his Captain America costumes. So yes I still stand by my assertion that cowls like Evan's Avengers 1 costume looks goofy. His subsequent costumes improved on the cowl, making the silhouette better by having a clear separate helmet that has no cloth connecting it to the top/jacket (unlike your concept art) and that looked infinitely better. Even then they always found a way for Evans to get rid of the helmet.

This isn't 1999. We're past the point where filmmakers have to be afraid of using classic elements from the source material in fear of being "goofy". If Marvel Studios has proven anything, it's that filmmakers don't have to be ashamed of the comics, and if done properly, it will be embraced by the audience.

There is no reason why Cyclops' cowl can't work when Marvel found a way to make Cap's mask work without looking ridiculous. And if Arrow can make a face mask work without looking ridiculous then it can work on Jean too

So will you give Storm a mask too? Since she has to hide her identity.

Rogue? Gambit? Professor X???

Jubilee? Perhaps she shouldn't remove her sunglasses the whole time she's out in public? LOL

I agree filmmakers shouldn't be afraid to use elements from the comics. However, I think Scott's cowl looks ridiculous especially when drawn by lesser artists. *I* prefer he doesn't have it.

If Feige and co can pull off the cowl then sure more power to them.

I need to see the cowl at least in one movie. I. Need. It.

Scott can drop it later, but at least once he's got to wear it.

main-qimg-1e5f2ce90d851037bc27054434ea4606.webp

Your "concept art" looks closer to Captain America's/Chris Evans' Avengers 1 cowl (and not like Iron Man's nor Ant-man's) and that was definitely the weakest of his Captain America costumes. So yes I still stand by my assertion that cowls like Evan's Avengers 1 costume looks goofy. His subsequent costumes improved on the cowl, making the silhouette better by having a clear separate helmet that has no cloth connecting it to the top/jacket (unlike your concept art) and that looked infinitely better. Even then they always found a way for Evans to get rid of the helmet.
The point was, Marvel can take something that looks cheesy or campy in the comics and make it work in live action without compromising the core design elements. And they may have an incentive to do It for Cyclops' cowl since we've gotten the Jim Lee look multiple times and nobody has attempted the classic "classic" Cyclops look. And the Avengers Cap could have looked amazing like the concept art:
latest

The execution in the movie was horrible, though. But there are better examples out there of cowls being done right. For example, both versions of the Flash. Particularly the Ezra Miller version:

awngmmR_700b.jpg

And the Season 2 suit from Daredevil:
2ff0fba087f24ff1cfddba709093354a.png

Even this Cyclops manip illustrates how it can be done right and look great in live action and not look like a "condom head"

kwpxfitpzhr01.jpg

e763aca4de2ea8ed193eb1f0dc18f7a8--superhero-artwork-marvel-art.jpg

That doesn't look ridiculous and nobody will be calling his head a condom if it looks like Flash or Netflix Daredevil.
So will you give Storm a mask too? Since she has to hide her identity.

Rogue? Gambit? Professor X???

Jubilee? Perhaps she shouldn't remove her sunglasses the whole time she's out in public? LOL

I agree filmmakers shouldn't be afraid to use elements from the comics. However, I think Scott's cowl looks ridiculous especially when drawn by lesser artists. *I* prefer he doesn't have it.

If Feige and co can pull off the cowl then sure more power to them.

Storm's disguise In the early 80s Claremont run was her hat which hid her white hair and she even wore shades at some points too. Charles didn't need a disguise because he was helping the X-Men behind the scenes at the Mansion, he wasn't going out in public doing missions with them. Colosssus' metal form was his disguise and Kurt had a image inducer that allowed him to look human. Secret identities use to be a thing in the X-Men comics. There was a time when even Kitty whom was Sprite at the time, wore a cowl. Going back to the 60s- EVERYBODY wore a mask.

So assuming they have secret identities in the first movie, it makes sense for the X-Men to all cover their faces. That's the perfect reason for them having masks and cowls

Last edited:
I like cowls too. I think caps cowl in avengers was bad. But his others looked fine. Tv flash has a worse cowl than cap avengers one. But I do want to see cyke in one. I think as a gag you could put jean in her cowl as a rookie in the danger room. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"