Mission: Impossible - Fallout - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been listening to this song on repeat. Damn Harle! :cmad::woot:

I know, it's so addictive!

I can't remember where it was, but I was listening to a trailer breakdown where the host mentioned
"A scene where Henry Cavill and Tom Cruise beat up some poor fool in a bathroom".
That made me laugh pretty hard!

Yeah that's accurate, dude should have probably run - or passed out - the second Henry did that cool thing with his fists

Henry looks awesome in this.

I do with others that in the main since M:I 2 this series just seems to have gone from strength to strength. They have got some damn good directors along the way to help with that of course.

The first two films are still my favorite. M:I to me has the best overall story and set the standard for the franchise on the silver screen. M:I-2 is a guilty pleasure that I can't see with any objectivity since I was 8 when it came out. It's got a great pace, snappy dialogue, a great villain in Dougray Scott and a Hans Zimmer score with Lisa Gerrard supplying some haunting vocals. Thandie Newton was also the best female co-star before Rebecca Ferguson joined the franchise.

I think I liked the last one the most, Ferguson was just spectacular there and the whole film was such an elegant and fun flick

I thought some of the writing was a little on the nose, especially Baldwin's monologue about "Ethan Hunt is the living manifestation of destiny." I've also not been a fan of the franchise's shift to a more breezy and comedic tone; I just gravitate more towards more dramatic and realistic stories. I'm not a fan of Simon Pegg in these films.

I also seem to be outside of the norm in that I thought Ghost Protocol was a truly horrible movie. There's not much about it that I like or even tolerate.

I thought Ghost Protocol was a truly horrible movie. There's not much about it that I like or even tolerate.

giphy.gif

Yeah, 2's awesomely fun in that hyper-stylized Woo way. It's definitely the black sheep of the bunch though, in terms of fitting in with the others. It's way more "Face/Off or Broken Arrow, featuring Ethan Hunt!", but really fun.

So over the top, and that final throwdown on the beach is pretty damn brutal. Some of the arty photography and use of music is pretty interesting too, has a whole other feel to the others. Even though there's a definite director stamp on all of the Bad Robot films, they all do feel linked in a way tonally. First two are just their own things completely.

Exactly. Well said.

I don't hate M:I-2, but I do find it to be the weakest of the bunch. However, after that, I feel like this franchise has just gotten better with every installment. Can't say that about any other franchise I can think of, tbh.

Yeah, the first M:I is a better movie in terms of story, but it drags a bit in the middle and it’s a bit too sparse on action. M:I2, in contrast is all action, with little story. If you mashed them up together, you’d have a truly great movie, lol.

I like 2.
But for me, the original mission Impossible film is a game changer.
People talk a lot about the stunts from the last three films, what about that train scene that capped the original film?

That train scene is amazing. But it’s pretty much the only amazing action sequence in the first one. Hunt blowing up that giant fishtank is kinda cool too, but it’s pretty quick.

Oh also, I finally got caught up on Sherlock. All I can say is, I’m REALLY excited to see Sian Brooke in this because she’s awesome.

That train scene is amazing. But it’s pretty much the only amazing action sequence in the first one. Hunt blowing up that giant fishtank is kinda cool too, but it’s pretty quick.

Oh also, I finally got caught up on Sherlock. All I can say is, I’m REALLY excited to see Sian Brooke in this because she’s awesome.
I am excited excited about Sian Brooke as well.
I h ope that they use her well.
I don't have a linkto it, but I wanted you guys to know that they released a Featurette about the helicopter stunt about an hour ago.
Its basically two minutes and thirty five seconds of Tom training for the sequence.

I am excited excited about Sian Brooke as well.
I h ope that they use her well.
I don't have a linkto it, but I wanted you guys to know that they released a Featurette about the helicopter stunt about an hour ago.
Its basically two minutes and thirty five seconds of Tom training for the sequence.

I'll have to look that up; I've always wondered how they filmed that sequence.

Can’t wait to see how it all plays out on the big screen.

I cannot say anything good about MI:2. That film is truly dreadful. Only one in the series I felt was outright bad. Ghost Protocol was my favorite.

Wow! You really have to admire Cruise's dedication to this series. Not many actors would become a full-fledged helicopter pilot just for a movie.

The man's level of dedication and ability to learn like a sponge (absorbing everything) is mighty impressive. I wish I'd have that kind of focus and ability to learn complex things the way he does. :eek:

I also like that Henry Cavill is portraying some kind of old-school Queensberry-style puncher, no spinning wire-assisted kicks for him! :up:

Yeah, 2's awesomely fun in that hyper-stylized Woo way. It's definitely the black sheep of the bunch though, in terms of fitting in with the others. It's way more "Face/Off or Broken Arrow, featuring Ethan Hunt!", but really fun.

So over the top, and that final throwdown on the beach is pretty damn brutal. Some of the arty photography and use of music is pretty interesting too, has a whole other feel to the others. Even though there's a definite director stamp on all of the Bad Robot films, they all do feel linked in a way tonally. First two are just their own things completely.
This. MI2 isn't bad, it's just very much a John Woo film, and I think people accept it for it what it is versus how it's not like the rest. It's a product of its time, and I find certain bits very enjoyable - mainly Thandie Newton being the best female lead of this franchise. The motorcycle stunts are still great, the beach fight is great and the swooshing hair, the slo-mo, the doves, it's all unapologetically John Woo and you can't hate it for being what it is.

The brutality in the bathroom fight with Cavill/Cruise sold this for me. Cavill looks the best he's ever had - more than his role in Uncle.

The helicopter scene reminded me of Spectre, only Cruise and McQ have upped their game considerably in terms of the stunt. Major props to the duo, my jaw dropped when I saw the trailer.

Last edited:
I cannot say anything good about MI:2. That film is truly dreadful. Only one in the series I felt was outright bad. Ghost Protocol was my favorite.

In terms of my own enjoyment it's higher than 3 and Ghost Protocol.

Rogue Nation
MI1
MI2
Ghost Protocol
MI3

But there is no denying that MI2 is over the top, melodramatic, and absurd. Its got John Woo written all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"